PDA

View Full Version : "What Went Wrong?" -- Bernard Lewis

D9 (RIP)
01-28-2004, 13:58
Just finished reading this book, and it is beyond the shadow of a doubt one of the most interesting and insightful commentaries I have read on the grand scale failure of civilization in the Islamic world. If you are interested in a compact, intellectually accessible work on the differences between the Islamic World and the West, and how those differences have contributed to the stark differences in their respective fortunes, then this is a good place to start.

Foremost among the book's virtues is Lewis' ability to identify essentials - an uncommon characteristic today. This is in complete contrast to most other works on this topic (and in general), which tend to treat grand issues (religion vs. reason) as heirarchically equivalent to ancillary or derivative ones (burkah's or not). A typical work today will give you a laundry list of differences without any attempt to integrate them under a single, defining, and essential difference. Lewis, by comparison, understands that most of the concrete differences we observe (burkahs, church v. state, etc) are themselves discreet manifestations of broader differences. IMO, he fails to take this as far as it needs to go, but he will take you 90% of the way there (which is 85% further than most other commentators on this subject).

Another of the books strengths is the fact that despite the rich intellectual content and Lewis' obvious erudition, his writing is neither impenetrable nor pretentious. Although serious and of a quality suitable for academia, Lewis' succinct style makes the book's robust content accesible even to those with only a passing familiarity with the region's history.

I had studied this topic in some detail before picking this book up, and I still learned a lot. I highly recommend it for all interested in better understanding the cultural chasm that underpins the relationship between the Islamic and Western World's today.

Surgicalcric
01-28-2004, 14:04
Did you get it on CD?

I just googled it and looked on Amazon and could not find it on CD.

Thanks.

James D

Roguish Lawyer
01-28-2004, 14:13
What is his thesis?

D9 (RIP)
01-28-2004, 14:14
Re: is it on CD?

Negative. I have the trade paperback. On Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060516054/qid=1075320810/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-7719048-7019337).

D9 (RIP)
01-28-2004, 14:25
The thesis is that, roughly, there were factors in the formative years of both religions: Christianity and Islam, that have translated into the respective differences. Namely, that Islam was a religion born into an era of dominance, success and conquest - reinforcing the "religiousity" and unadulterated dependence on faith. Christianity, by contrast, was born into an era of desperate repression and persecution. Christian culture, in the Western church at any rate, was forced to incorporate a dichotomy that never crystallized in Islam - the recognition of a seperate "spiritual life" from a "worldly life." This eventually was the catalyst for the rennaissance, enlightenment, and industrial revolution - on the shoulders of which stands what we call "modernity." It makes a compelling case not that Islam had some special fault that has caused it to lag the world, but rather that it was a unique dichotomy in Christianity that permitted a kind of part-time secularism that is the ultimate wellspring of the great rift between our cultures.

lrd
01-28-2004, 15:04
An excellent book. After reading it, I went out and bought Lewis's The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2,000 Years. I've only browsed around, but it looks to be another great resource.

Jimbo
01-28-2004, 15:28
Beware that if you read more than one of Lewis' books you will be subject to a fair amount of repitition. He reuses many of the same points in several books. The thesis in "What Went Wrong" is essentially the same as the thesis in "Crisis of Islam". His "Multiple Identities of the Middle East is not bad, though.

Roguish Lawyer
01-28-2004, 16:08
Anyone see a parallel between his theory on Islam and Orthodox Judaism?

Jimbo
01-28-2004, 16:10
There are some very interesting parallels between Shia Islam and Liberation Theology.