View Full Version : DOD hunting electrical threats at facilities in Iraq
:confused:
DOD hunting electrical threats at facilities in Iraq
WASHINGTON (AP) — The military is racing to inspect more than 90,000 U.S.-run facilities across Iraq to reduce a deadly threat troops face far off the battlefield: electrocution or shock while showering or using appliances.
About one-third of the inspections so far have turned up major electrical problems, according to interviews and an internal military document obtained by The Associated Press. Half of the problems they found have since been fixed but about 65,000 facilities still need to be inspected, which could take the rest of this year.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-03-26-iraq-electrocution-dod_N.htm?csp=YahooModule_News
is aimed at preventing deaths like that of Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, 24, of Pittsburgh. He died in January 2008, one of at least three soldiers killed while showering since the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
What is not mentioned is the fact that since the death of SSG Maseth, his mother (Cheryl Harris) has made it her lifes work to insure the safety of the troops using these facilities.
The local media here is constantly keeping abreast and making public the results of her efforts.
It has not been an easy battle for her.
Ret10Echo
05-20-2009, 05:37
This is beign discussed across multiple threads...but being the most recent figured I would provide some update....
This ties in with Richard's initial post concerning DOD's inspection efforts:
Electrician: Contractor did faulty wiring in Iraq
May 20, 2009 - 5:08am
By KIMBERLY HEFLING
Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) - An electrician hired by the Army to help inspect electrical work at facilities where U.S. soldiers operate in Iraq said Wednesday that 90 percent of wiring done in newly constructed buildings by one military contractor was done improperly.
The inspector, Jim Childs, said in prepared testimony that an estimated 70,000 buildings in Iraq were not up to code. The work was performed by Houston-based KBR Inc.
"When I began inspecting the electrical work performed by KBR, my co-workers and I found improper electrical work in every building we inspected," Childs said. An advanced copy of Childs' testimony before the Senate Democrats' policy committee Wednesday was obtained by The Associated Press.
At least three service members have been electrocuted while showering at U.S. facilities in Iraq. Others have been injured or killed in electrical incidents.
Childs worked in Iraq for the military's Task Force SAFE, which was created last year to inspect and oversee repairs in about 90,000 U.S.-maintained facilities in Iraq. The AP has reported previously that about a third of the inspections conducted have so far turned up major electrical problems.
Heather Browne, a KBR spokeswoman, said in a statement that KBR was not responsible for the deaths, and the company is cooperating.
"The assertion that KBR has a track record of shoddy electrical work is unfounded," Browne said.
The most high-profile electrocution death was that of Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, 24, a Green Beret from Pittsburgh who was electrocuted while showering in his barracks early last year. Maseth's family has filed suit against KBR.
Childs said in his prepared testimony that even after rewiring was done by KBR in the building in Iraq where Maseth died, electrical problems persisted for several months.