PDA

View Full Version : Analysis paralysis...SF vs. Navy EOD

afire87
03-25-2009, 12:05
Hello QPs and forum members.

I am currently trying to find out as much info as possible regarding the 18x program and the Navy EOD program. Recruiters have been short on pertinent info and specifics, although I have been able to connect with quite a few of the Navy EOD guys, I haven't been able to get too many SF experiences and perspectives.

I know it all boils down to what you want out of your experience and who you are as a person, but I can see myself going down both paths and enjoying them immensely. Each person I have spoken with obviously loves the program they were involved in so I take each opinion with a grain of salt.

The areas I am most interested in learning about are the current typical SF deployment schedules, what life is like between tours (training opportunities, hours to be with family), and what your experiences are post-military both in terms of employment opportunities and physical cost of 5-10 years on the teams.

If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, I would love to hear them to balance out all the EOD guys in my ear. I want to make the right decision for myself and serve my country in the best way I can.

Thank you gentlemen,

afire87

Snaquebite
03-25-2009, 12:12
Afire,

All of your concerns have been discussed on this forum in depth. Learn to use the search function and do a lot more reading.

Team Sergeant
03-25-2009, 12:14
afire87,

This website has a vast amount of information concerning your question.

We have devoted an entire sections for you to read, spend some time reading first then ask your specific questions.

If you took time to read the welcome forum and our rules you will understand that the "search" button is your friend. When you cannot find your answers there then ask.

Welcome aboard.

Team Sergeant

afire87
03-25-2009, 12:27
I have been using the search function for a couple days, but I guess not hard enough! I will get back to it, and report back.

Thank you guys!

The Reaper
03-25-2009, 12:30
In addition to the above, the missions are entirely different.

You want to go play with UXO or be a support guy for a living, have at it. We do not blow our horns or denigrate other SOF elements here.

SF is a completely different game, and the odds of making it to a team depend in a lot of variables.

The Search button is your friend, and in the end, only you can decide which is best for you.

Good luck.

TR

Team Sergeant
03-25-2009, 12:34
I have been using the search function for a couple days, but I guess not hard enough! I will get back to it, and report back.

Thank you guys!

Read here, don't stop because it gets into SF deployments later on.

(Now go do push-ups.)

Team Sergeant

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70

surfcolt
03-25-2009, 13:29
One thing to think about. (EOD) Lets say you blow your ear drum out in training (happend to a good friend of mine) you want to paint ships for a living the rest of your life? Other benefits : Wear bell bottoms, go out to sea and not see land for months at a time, get fat, drink coffee.

ARMY has EOD too I believe.

Good luck with your decision

Team Sergeant
03-25-2009, 14:23
One thing to think about. (EOD) Lets say you blow your ear drum out in training (happend to a good friend of mine) you want to paint ships for a living the rest of your life? Other benefits : Wear bell bottoms, go out to sea and not see land for months at a time, get fat, drink coffee.

ARMY has EOD too I believe.

Good luck with your decision

surfcolt,

This is the "Special Forces Questions" forums, usually we (SF Soldiers) answer the "Special Forces" questions....

TS

afire87
03-25-2009, 14:50
The Reaper,

Thank you for your reply...I know the very different job descriptions entail very different careers, but both sound fulfilling. I would never ask for anyone to speak condescendingly about another service MOS. As far as making it to a team, it's "cast or tab" for me. I am giving up a good civilian job and time with my girl, so once I go into the military its full-speed ahead.

As far as UXO and support, from my understanding (however flawed it may be), Navy EOD is the only SOF-deployable EOD unit and work often with Seals, CAG and Devgru. I could be wrong, but I have been told that in these situations, you are a team member with a rifle first, until an EOD situation presents itself. I do not want to play with robots for my career, but I have been told this is not the case. Does anyone's deployment experience contradict this?

Team Seargent,

Thank you very much for that link, I think I actually came upon that page, and went back to search results, not realizing deployment schedules was at the bottom. I will read further from now on.

Pushups completed!

Surfcolt,

True...painting ships would suck if you wash out of EOD, but washing out of the SF pipeline is not something I want either. I don't see being a 29 yr old E-2, E-3 in the conventional army as an ideal scenario for me personally. No matter what happens, I will make the most of it, and if I end up 11B Airborne so be it. I will be the best goddamn 11B, get to Ranger school somehow, and hopefully get back to Selection someday.

Thanks again everyone, I will keep using the search!

Pete
03-25-2009, 15:03
... I don't see being a 29 yr old E-2, E-3 in the conventional army as an ideal scenario for me personally... ...!

Interesting, very interesting.

But you may end up there.

afire87
03-25-2009, 15:40
Pete,

Thank you for your response. I have read the % of those who pass Selection and the Q course, and all I can do is prepare to the best of my abilities and have faith when it all goes to shit, which I have read happens at some point to everyone. Beyond preparing physically, mentally, and emotionally...and "cast or tab" as my level of commitment, I have done all I can and its up to the man upstairs. If I give my all, no surrender, and still do not make it, then I will adapt and overcome at that juncture.

This was my full statement...

"I don't see being a 29 yr old E-2, E-3 in the conventional army as an ideal scenario for me personally. No matter what happens, I will make the most of it, and if I end up 11B Airborne so be it. I will be the best goddamn 11B, get to Ranger school somehow, and hopefully get back to Selection someday."

afire87
04-07-2009, 23:31
After searching long and hard here and elsewhere, I went with my gut and my original drive for military service, to become a Green Beret.

I went to MEPS got my physical, and was DQ'd for a childhood surgery. My PULHES was 3P 1 1 1 2 1.

After getting my waiver and returning to MEPS, my PULHES was changed to
1 1 1 1 2 1.

The Doc, Guidance Counselor, and Recruiter all said to go 11b and just drop a packet for selection once active. But I have read stories here and elsewhere that people with waivers have gotten 18x contracts.

In addition, the Doc said the 3P will be on my record forever even if I never have problems, and excel physically as a soldier. I am worried it will come back to haunt me, and when I drop a packet for Airborne, Ranger, or Selection, they will see the 3P and not the current rating of 1, and I will never even get the chance.

I have also been told to a few SF recruiters that I got in contact with recently at Fort Lewis and Fort Campbell that 11b may not be the best option to get to Selection the quickest. They mentioned CONUS and 1 yr. duty station requirements at minimum, 2 yrs at maximum.

My questions are:

1. Is there any way in hell that I can get 18x with a waiver? Will letters from high ranking officers, Congressmen, and Senators help?

2. If not, and while trying to drop a packet for selection as Active Duty, will that 3P prevent me later? Or is it once in the Army, the current physical assessment all that matters?

3. In your perfect scenario, what MOS would you select to be best prepared for selection? How stringent are the release policies for that MOS unit in terms of getting let go for selection?

I really have Googled and used the search button for hours a day, and many days now. If I have missed information elsewhere, I only ask for the search words to get to it, as I have tried any combination of these questions, and read through all the search results.

Thank you QPs. I will do pushups now just in case!

afire87

blue02hd
04-08-2009, 05:50
Afire,

You are pounding away at the same questions that have been answered on this site multiple times. If you read some of the profiles of the QP's that post here you will find that many of us have prior service in the Army prior to making the decision to try and make it through the Q-Course. To many here, the question "How can I get to Special Forces the quickest (AKA easiest)" indicates a certain amount of reluctance and honestly, laziness. Waiver's? Letter of Recommendation from a General, Politician, or Jedi Knight? Where is your mindset?

Nothing about the course is easy, and team time is guaranteed to provide you 25 hours of work in a 24 hour day. If you want quick and easy, you may want to relook the Navy EOD option you mentioned, which is absolutely nothing close to the route we will discuss here. Maybe you could benefit from a couple years in the "conventional Army" as your recruiters referred to just to see if you and the military lifestyle agree with each other, which at this point you cannot hope to know as no amount of advice from your buddies can answer how you will feel. Your experiences will be vastly different, guaranteed.

No one MOS is the magic MOS to prepare you for selection, but you may find a larger portion of the candidates from the Infantry. While many civilians in your shoes look onto the Infantry as a second class occupation in the military compared to volley ball playing Jet Pilots and those super sexy Navy SEALS, you may find out how key your Infantry background can become if you pursue schools like Ranger School, and deploy a time or two with an regular unit. SEALS wish they had the Ranger background, and are even strap hanging in on our SUT and Sage classes in an attempt to capture it. Just like you, they won't find an easy quick substitute. Basic Infantry skills will serve you well, no matter what MOS you find yourself.

My advice, stop thinking this is a race to get to the finish line by donning a Green Beret, and realize this is a marathon. You best train for it on your own, and then remove whatever hurdles the recruiters put in front of you. Body slam Basic Training. Slam Dunk AIT. Stay motivated in your gaining Unit, volunteer for Ranger School, and you will find your CoC not only can't stop you from getting a Selection Packet, but will support you if they see your heart is in it. Just because you do not have a guaranteed 18X contract means little or nothing, welcome to the club.

SF is a profession that will require's alot more from you than the average person is willing to give. Many more young men fail than are successful on this road, and many of them had 18X contracts.

Good luck with your choice whatever it is, and enjoy your remaining civilian days if you choose to number them and join us in the military.

surfcolt
04-08-2009, 06:54
surfcolt,

This is the "Special Forces Questions" forums, usually we (SF Soldiers) answer the "Special Forces" questions....

TS

Fair enough if that is the general thought process. I figure with having served in the 5-19th SFG and in the NAVY I might have something to add to someone asking about a comparison of the NAVY vs the ARMY.

Richard
04-08-2009, 07:00
afire87 -

You've gotten some good advice here - now, what are you going to do with it? The SF option is never preordained - you want a guarantee, go buy a preowned idea from Honest O-bee down the block.

Have you considered Army or Air Force EOD? The initial entry bonuses for that career field across the services are astounding right now.

It seems to me as if you're limiting yourself to two CAs (Courses of Action) - SF or Navy EOD - not a wise strategy IMO if you're as serious a contender for military service as you claim.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

The Reaper
04-08-2009, 07:14
Honestly, I think that if you have not found your answers by searching and reading, you are being lazy. Some of it is covered in the stickies we ask all new members to read before posting.

Do you think you are the first one here to ask about a physical waiver? It would appear that you are asking for someone here to guarantee you a fast track into SF. Here is a clue. Ain't happening.

Want personal advice about the best MOS to choose to prepare for SF? Guess what? That question is asked every month here. You have already received a lot of good advice from the QPs here. Do you need this much handholding and personal assistance with other decisions? There are no guarantees in life but death, and taxes. Doesn't sound like you are cut out for SF.

This is the internet. Other than the fact that someone is vetted as SF, you do not know their qualifications to be giving you advice, and there are certainly no guarantees that come with the opinions. We could lie to you and say don't worry about it, you will be GTG.

Let me break this down for you.

1. Physical requirements and waivers for 18X recruits are covered here.

2. In-service SFAS physical requirements and waivers are covered here.

3. What MOS best prepares one for SF has been flogged to death.

BTW, as I have told at least one other person this week, the recruiter's job is primarily to fill the Army's needs. Not yours. He will tell you what he needs to to get his mission accomplished, and none of it will be worth spit if it is not on the contract.

Given this, I think you should go with Option B and join the Navy.

Best of luck.

TR

Team Sergeant
04-08-2009, 10:58
Fair enough if that is the general thought process. I figure with having served in the 5-19th SFG and in the NAVY I might have something to add to someone asking about a comparison of the NAVY vs the ARMY.

You could be osama bin ladin for all we know, you are not vetted, you could also have served in the SF Group as a cook.
We've had our share of National Guard "Privates", non-SF qualified serving in a NG Special Forces unit attempt to answer SF questions on here. It ain't going to happen on my watch. Most of the SF soldiers answering questions on this website have over 20+ years on "active" duty Special Forces.

Team Sergeant

jjw
04-18-2009, 22:11
Excuse my intrusion, but as this pertains to Navy EOD and interoperability, I thought I might add my 2 cents. I have worked both the SOF and NSW missions, as well as many of the other EOD missions out there.

As far as making it to a team, it's "cast or tab" for me. I am giving up a good civilian job and time with my girl, so once I go into the military its full-speed ahead.

As far as UXO and support, from my understanding (however flawed it may be), Navy EOD is the only SOF-deployable EOD unit and work often with Seals, CAG and Devgru. I could be wrong, but I have been told that in these situations, you are a team member with a rifle first, until an EOD situation presents itself. I do not want to play with robots for my career, but I have been told this is not the case. Does anyone's deployment experience contradict this?

afire87, You need to figure out what it is you want to do. What you have been told is partially true, and I imagine, partially what you want to hear.

First and foremost, EOD Techs are bomb guys. From start to finish that is what we do. Doesn't matter whether it is using a robot, on a DA mission or diving on sea mines.

All services have EOD and all have, to a greater or lesser extent worked with SOF units in addition to what we do on our own. Navy EOD is utilized more heavily. There are a number of reasons for this I won't go into. We are not the only service to do these types of missions, nor are we mandated to be the only service to do them. Some of the units you mentioned do not have Navy EOD attached except on an as needed basis. Some have their own service EOD. The other services are stepping up their SOF interoperability roles because there is good EOD work to be had.

Do not look at EOD as an easy way into a SOF role. EOD School, and particularly the Navy EOD pipeline is long and difficult. If you make it through the initial year plus of training you will more than likely complete at least one tour doing conventional EOD missions such as Route Clearance, IED response or Mine Countermeasures. At some point you may be selected for a SOF/NSW team. If you are, they are relying on you to be a first rate bomb guy. The fact that we can be utilizied in other roles is a testament to the caliber of Sailors in our program and the level of trust our SF/NSW teammates place in us. Also, unless you go to specific units, once a SOF/NSW tour is completed you will more than likely return to a conventional EOD team. THis is because we are EOD Techs doing an EOD mission.

Finally, you mention not wanting to be a robot driver. Of the roughly 70 EOD Techs that have been killed (all services), only one was killed doing a DA mission. Without those robots, the #'s would be much higher. EOD work is unforgiving.

blacksmoke
04-21-2009, 09:18
I was denied an 18x contract for childhood surgery and, attended and failed selection as a regular Army medic. The reason I was not selected was low physical fitness. For me maybe being Infantry would have helped to get myself selected, as they were the only guys in shape around my old unit, but my attitude and poor training desisions:lifter ultimately caused it. :boohooAny problems you may have can be different, but there is tons of useful info on this site, PT, nutrition, MOS education...etc. Everyone suggests using the search button, and so I do. Average soldiers off the street like me realy don't have skills or experience worth posting. I will be 28 or 29 when I return to selection. I was 23 the first time. Most of the guys on my team who were selected were around that age anyway, and some of the better ones in their early 30's. You asked about employment opportunities down the road, my suggestion is the GI bill. The military is a career, so in leaving one there is no set up for another. You would not ask a nurse or high school teacher what they want to do 5-10 years from now. Thanks for giving me permision to post on this site.

The Reaper
04-21-2009, 09:30
I was denied an 18x contract for childhood surgery and, attended and failed selection as a regular Army medic. The reason I was not selected was low physical fitness. For me maybe being Infantry would have helped to get myself selected, as they were the only guys in shape around my old unit, but my attitude and poor training desisions:lifter ultimately caused it. :boohooAny problems you may have can be different, but there is tons of useful info on this site, PT, nutrition, MOS education...etc. Everyone suggests using the search button, and so I do. Average soldiers off the street like me realy don't have skills or experience worth posting. I will be 28 or 29 when I return to selection. I was 23 the first time. Most of the guys on my team who were selected were around that age anyway, and some of the better ones in their early 30's. You asked about employment opportunities down the road, my suggestion is the GI bill. The military is a career, so in leaving one there is no set up for another. You would not ask a nurse or high school teacher what they want to do 5-10 years from now. Thanks for giving me permision to post on this site.

Good info, thanks for sharing.

BTW, being an Infantryman will not get someone into shape for selection, THEY are the only ones who can dedicate themselves to being physically prepared.

Best of luck.

TR

blacksmoke
04-22-2009, 09:31
BTW, being an Infantryman will not get someone into shape for selection, THEY are the only ones who can dedicate themselves to being physically prepared.

TR

Aint that the truth. Or being one of the most physicaly fit guys in your class and still not getting selected. I bunked near a guy responsible for writing most of those silly phrases like "just quit now" and "NOT SELECTED" on the gravel surrounding the hooches. Guess where he went?