PDA

View Full Version : Web Cam

Roguish Lawyer
06-24-2004, 09:40
It has been proposed that I set up a web cam to allow surveillance of my campaign sign. What is required to set this up? I have a computer with a cable modem, but no web cam. Also the window where the camera should go is quite far from my computer. Roughly estimate 25 yards from the window to the sign; I can go measure it later if that would help.

Bill Harsey
06-24-2004, 09:44
There are people here much better at this than me but I would suggest a remote cam in a hide site. I do some other stuff for a gentleman I call "Q". This is in his area of operation, I'll call him today.

Roguish Lawyer
06-24-2004, 09:45
I do have a wireless "nannycam" that feeds to a VCR at a remote location, but it is not suitable for this operation. The camera is concealed in a clock radio.

Plus I thought we wanted this to feed live on the web.

Bill Harsey
06-24-2004, 09:49
That's what I understood too. Dialing Q now.

Roguish Lawyer
06-24-2004, 09:51
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Dialing Q now.

Hey, tell him I'm also looking for a new car. :p

Team Sergeant
06-24-2004, 09:52
You're going to need a website to host your camera.

A domain name also….

I can recommend a great webmaster!

Sacamuelas
06-24-2004, 10:00
If the details for how to set this up end up Pm'ed verses posted publicly... I would like a copy RL.

Eventually, MC7317 will go back to the feedin' frenzy and I want to set up a live webcam at the house. This would be perfect...

Kyobanim
06-24-2004, 10:42
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I do have a wireless "nannycam" that feeds to a VCR at a remote location, but it is not suitable for this operation. The camera is concealed in a clock radio.

Plus I thought we wanted this to feed live on the web.

I think a clock in the front yard would be a little out of place. :cool:

Considerations:
1. distance from target area
2. Weather proofing
3. Wireless access for the camera unless you have a REALLY long usb cable

A cheap camera won't deliver the resolution you'll need to determine license numbers. You'll end up spending 500 to 800 bucks for a camera with the capabilities your talking about. 1200 for one with a zoom. Good thing about this is the cameras are connected to the system with CAT 5 cable/RJ45 connector and will plug into your switch/router or a wireless access point. They come with software and can be set to be motion activated. This camera can be hung under the eve of the roof.

There's a starting point. I'm sure there are lots of options out there. Being a college we tend to spend more than average.
:D

Dan
06-24-2004, 11:25
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/webcam.htm

Roguish Lawyer
06-24-2004, 12:33
Originally posted by Dan
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/webcam.htm

Dan is the man!