PDA

View Full Version : SF Artist

swpa19
03-25-2009, 11:31
Didnt really know just where to post this thread, hopefully this is the proper place.

In the late 1970s early 1980s there was an individual, (not sure if he was 5th or 7th SFG) that used to do MOS pen and ink characters. As well as other SF related functions.

I remember one particular drawing that featured an SF troop in MFF with a Claymore tied to his jump helmet and freefalling toward a Russian Mig.

Does anyone recall this artists work or name?

Peregrino
03-25-2009, 12:42
Ballinger IIRC. That was a long time ago. He also had Christmas cards and a comic strip "ODA 069". Last I heard he went to Florida in the early 80's. The Hobbit on Yadkin Rd. used to sell his stuff.

Pete
03-25-2009, 13:18
lksteve uses a part of one picture as his avatar.

The one that has the rest of the A Team around the team leader.

Richard
03-25-2009, 13:57
lksteve uses a part of one picture as his avatar.

The one that has the rest of the A Team around the team leader.

Actually, that's from a much older print from the days when an SF Officer was a 31542 and was in existence when I first came to Smoke Bomb Hill - you could buy them at the PX and the old wooden IMA Book Store across from The White House (JFK Center). There were a whole series of them for all the Officer Branches and they were titled something along the lines of "The XXXXX Officer as seen by..."

The guy who did the HALO/SOT/SCUBA/etc stuff being asked about (Ballenger or Belanger or Balanger or however he spelled it) was a young SGT in the 5th circa the early '80s time frame.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

swpa19
03-25-2009, 14:04
RICHARD:

"The XXXXX Officer as seen by..."

I remember those when I was an assitant R.O.T.C. instructor.

Lot of those were really applicable too.

alelks
03-25-2009, 15:26
Those were definitely Bellionger's work.

Do you guys remember the REDLIW T-shirts that were going around in the 80's. I know some of you know what I"m talking about.

That created a HUGE stink.

AL

TOMAHAWK9521
03-25-2009, 16:04
I have several of Pat O'Kelly's from back in the 80's: Ranger vs. SF Option; CLOWNs (Clandestine Liberators OF Wimpy Nations); The Creation; and Scripture For Planning.

Stras
03-25-2009, 16:39
The old 1-10th SFG(A) guys will remember SFC(RET) Vaclav Havel who was our language instructor in Bad Toelz and Stuttgart for years. He was retired SF, native born Czech (Lodge Bill), and was an artist. He's in his late 70's/early 80's now, and still in the Munich area.

He did the dot prints where the picture is actually thousands of ink dots with a pen. I'm not sure of the actual name.

One of the ones he made was called "the Meeting", which was the initial meeting between and SFODA and the auxilliary. All the persons depicted in the print are actual QPs. There is also the front gate of Flint Kaserne, the Berlin Wall Memorial ( he penned this in the early 80's, with a thru date of 199?). Damn he was close.

The prints are available from SFA 4-24 in Colorado Springs, CO, and from myself here at Bragg. SFA 4-24 website: http://www.sfa4-24.org/index.htm

v/r
Stras

JJ_BPK
03-25-2009, 17:36
LtC John L Cassady, aka: Jack or Cass did the original sketches Richard mentioned. There was a "Jump School", Ranger School", "Special Forces", and I think one other??

Jack is old school SF. He is mentioned in John Plaster's "Secret Commands".

He still lives in NC and runs a small art studio and school.

www.toonmaker.com/about.shtml.

He hasn't licensed the set for publication for years.

I had a complete set,, including the SF "A" Team, lost it in a move.

I now have an autographed copy of the SF A Team....

Does anyone have any of the other cartoons??

Go Devil
03-25-2009, 18:52
Did Jack happen to do the mural inside TMC 14 ?
The style is similar.

JJ_BPK
03-25-2009, 18:57
Did Jack happen to do the mural inside TMC 14 ?
The style is similar.

Don't know,, but his cartouche is very bold. I doubt he didn't sign it??

Richard
03-25-2009, 19:18
LtC John L Cassady, aka: Jack or Cass did the original sketches Richard mentioned. There was a "Jump School", Ranger School", "Special Forces", and I think one other??

IIRC - there was one for each of the staff sections, too - the S-1, the S-2, the S-3, the S-4.

The old 1-10th SFG(A) guys will remember SFC(RET) Vaclav Havel ...

Havel worked in the graphics section down in the basement at Tolz after retirement, and many of us have certificates and plaques designed and made with his artistic hand.

Another SF artist of the era was Joe Beasly who did a great series of B/W prints/cards of SF skiers, HALO jumpers, combat divers, mountain climbers, etc.

Razor
03-26-2009, 10:08
He did the dot prints where the picture is actually thousands of ink dots with a pen. I'm not sure of the actual name.

I believe its called stippling, similar to the woodworking practice.

swpa19
03-26-2009, 10:47
He did the dot prints where the picture is actually thousands of ink dots with a pen.

The artist term for this technique is "pointillism", some refer to it as poinitism.

Richard
03-26-2009, 11:11
The artist term for this technique is "pointillism", some refer to it as poinitism.

As someone who originally thought he wanted to be an art teacher and still dabbles, it is commonly accepted practice to refer to (1) pointilism in reference to the use of color/paint (e.g., Pissaro) and (2) stippling in reference to a similar shading by black ink dotting (crowquill pens, rapidographs, etc).

Havel and Beasley were very good at stippling. :lifter

I personally like to use pen/ink and color pencil. :)

CasperMike
03-26-2009, 17:57
I've got all the MOS sketches that MA Balinger did--they are great! The date on the ones I have are '81, and I have yet to find him or his drawings on the net.

Razor
03-26-2009, 21:21
As someone who originally thought he wanted to be an art teacher and still dabbles, it is commonly accepted practice to refer to (1) pointilism in reference to the use of color/paint (e.g., Pissaro) and (2) stippling in reference to a similar shading by black ink dotting (crowquill pens, rapidographs, etc).

Thanks for the info, Richard.

Richard
03-27-2009, 12:17
Here's one of my pen/ink/color pencil sketches - "Deflection..."

Go Devil
03-27-2009, 17:28

Very good!

Sigaba
03-27-2009, 19:11

QP Richard--

May we see some of the others? :munchin

PSM
03-27-2009, 21:50

Very nice, Richard! I agree with Sigaba, more please.

Pat

swpa19
03-28-2009, 10:16
Mother Theresa

I did one of Col. Bank, Ive got to figure out how to transfer the image from 3 1/2 disc to my new computer. (I just mastered the lightswitch yesterday)

Richard
03-28-2009, 11:33
Mother Theresa

I did one of Col. Bank, Ive got to figure out how to transfer the image from 3 1/2 disc to my new computer. (I just mastered the lightswitch yesterday)

Watercolors are a tough medium - at least for me. Nice. :lifter

I am looking forward to seeing the COL Bank portrait.

ZonieDiver
03-28-2009, 11:38
Richard and SWPA - What talent! I, too, look forward to seeing more. Thank you.:munchin

greenberetTFS
03-28-2009, 11:41
Very nice, Richard! I agree with Sigaba, more please.

Pat

I agree with Pat and Sigaba, more please...................:)

GB TFS

bluebb
03-29-2009, 00:12
Nice work of fantasy there Richard... An LT laying in a morter hahahaha

Just Joking;)

Blue

swpa19
03-29-2009, 05:18
RICHARD

Its strange how difficulties are rated from artist to artist. To me, the art of sketching in any medium is difficult. You leave no room for error. Your rendering must be accurate and concise.

Water and Acrylics on the other hand is quite easy. You plop down a color you like, push it around with a brush and quit when it looks good to you. Nothing to it.

Thanks for displaying your talents. VERY nice.

Hostile0311
03-29-2009, 06:45
RICHARD

Its strange how difficulties are rated from artist to artist. To me, the art of sketching in any medium is difficult. You leave no room for error. Your rendering must be accurate and concise.

Water and Acrylics on the other hand is quite easy. You plop down a color you like, push it around with a brush and quit when it looks good to you. Nothing to it.

Thanks for displaying your talents. VERY nice.

swpa,
I agree. I find watercolor to be the easiest medium and most forgiving to work in. Oils, pastels and charcoal to me on the other hand are a nightmare and I tend to shy away. Pen and ink/watercolor wash are also a favorite of mine. Very nice piece BTW. Same goes for yours Richard. Both very nice works indeed.

redleg99
03-29-2009, 08:21
Another soldier-artist who did work similar to LTC Cassady is George Finley.
Finley came on active duty in 1960, and retired in 1983.
Here is some of his work:
http://www.militaryart.com/caricatures.html

swpa19
04-06-2009, 08:21
I finally downloaded my 3 1/2 floppy files to disc. Here is a painting that was made into prints. The original was donated to SFA Hq.

The photo is not of the greatest quality, Im afraid.

The painting was done in 1998, and represented the approved flashes that I had available to me at the time.

Richard
04-06-2009, 09:07
That would, indeed, make a nice poster - especially if autographed by COL Bank. Portraits ain't easy and it's difficult to capture the personality of the subject. IMO you've done that - and the SSI/flash history of what COL Bank created really adds to its meaning. Well done.

I've been playing around with my wife's new digital camera in an attempt to record some of my work - here's a color one I did a couple of years ago (5 IIRC) when I was playing around with oil pastels. Doing shapes like this was kinda fun - attempting Breck-girl like portraiture (my ultimate goal) is something entirely different. Maybe someday. ;)

swpa19
04-06-2009, 09:26
RICHARD:

OUTSTANDING! With your outlook on interpretation, your style would lend itself well to airbrushing. Something to consider when you finally find yourself "with some spare time".

Go Devil
04-06-2009, 10:46
Has anyone purchased tickets for the Portrait Artwork that the SFA is raffling?

swpa19
05-20-2009, 10:20
Here is one I airbrushed for an old WWII - Korea AF Vet.

Richard
05-21-2009, 07:07

That one came out nice - very nice. I'll bet the guy loves it and gets quite a few compliments. :)

Richard's $.02

swpa19
05-21-2009, 09:20
RICHARD:

The ole fella loves it. But, he says it has its drawbacks too, especially on the Interstate when all of a sudden all he can see through his rear view mirror are the words MACK or PETERBUILT, by truckers trying to get a better look.

zuluzerosix
05-21-2009, 09:22

What an outstanding looking Ford!

greenberetTFS
05-21-2009, 11:11

R99,

Wow, those pics are great only it's too bad you can't get to see the detail.......;)

GB TFS

Team Sergeant
05-21-2009, 11:37
Has anyone purchased tickets for the Portrait Artwork that the SFA is raffling?

Not everyone outside of the SFA even knows about the upcoming raffle.;)

greenberetTFS
05-21-2009, 14:53
Not everyone outside of the SFA even knows about the upcoming raffle.;)

TS, Selling my tickets was a breeze.... ;) My regret is I didn't request additional ones :(

GB TFS :munchin

mark46th
05-28-2009, 13:19
Hey guys- Don't give Richard too many compliments, we had trouble finding a beret big enough for him as it was...
Really though, Rich- Nice work... My wife is an artist, she favors pastels. Similar effect as water colors but easier to work with, she says...

swpa19
05-28-2009, 15:10
Similar effect as water colors but easier to work with

Cant see why anyone would feel that way. With waters you just plop your paint onto a wet rag paper and wait till its done working, then there ya are, nothing to it.

Acrylics are basically the same. You just put some colors on the canvas, push it around with a brush till it looks good and then you call it finished.

Seriously it is the artist who has mastered the oil painting medium that most impresses me. Particularly those that choose to render their painting in the surrealistic vein. THAT takes artistic talent and patience.

mark46th
05-28-2009, 22:30
The first real piece of art I ever got to see up close was Picasso's "Woman with a Violin" from his cubist period. It was in Norton Simon's lobby. I was only a 19 year old kid working as a mail boy but it knocked my socks off.

PRB
05-29-2009, 12:30

Thanks for the link..I had the MACV Advisor one but lost it..was on TM 21 Pleiku for a stint...never thought to look for it...great

Richard
05-29-2009, 13:32
Here are a few of my attempts with oils. I was going for a Gauguin/Modigliani style with colors, forms, and patterns. The first one was a fun piece for my son- a Sesame Street gangsta image. The other bright oils are based on Liberia except for the landscape where I was playing around with an O'Keefe style motif.

Richard
05-29-2009, 13:51
A couple of darker oils - one a close-up of a deep dwelling ocean fish and the other just a b/w study - and a watercolor I did of my youngest son in his Joker costume for Halloween.

FWIW - I still prefer pen, inks, and color pencils. ;)

swpa19
05-29-2009, 15:18
RICHARD:

Believe it or not, I like your Sesame/Crack Street rendering. And in my own honest/humble opinion, I think Georgia would be proud of you. I think you captured the essence of O'keefe

swpa19
06-06-2009, 07:36
It's just called DREAMS. It was painted after I was privledged to spend a few hours with Col. Bank. His reflections on his life prompted the theme.

Richard
06-06-2009, 08:52
Dreams or reminisces? The painting would make a nice book jacket for a memoir.

Richard
09-11-2009, 22:06
I've been experimenting with some printmaking again - it's been years - but it's also been fun. ;)

And so it goes...

armymom1228
09-12-2009, 00:28
I've been experimenting with some printmaking again - it's been years - but it's also been fun. ;)

Silkscreen? I quite like the second one.

About three yrs ago I did a whole show that involved printmaking on fabric that included either a salt or wax resist and acrylic paint dye. I did photo transfer to fabric then the salt and wax resist designs. It turned out nicely, sold decently.
I miss my studio, and am learnign to loathe small spaces. I might try to find another wharehouse space in Norfolk or Wilmington this winter.

I was playing earlier this week on watercolor cardstock with gouache actualy and kosher salt to achieve a resist dye look for backgrounds. I have no idea where I will go from there, but it was fun and kinda nice to be back with watercolor instead of hot glass.

Use either watercolor or gouache as a wash and then toss a some kosher or rock salt onto the paper and let it soak the color around it.. it makes for an interesting design. Each card has a one of a kind design. Resist medium offers so many good ways to make designs it is almost endless in what you can do with it.

Penn
09-12-2009, 06:21
Richard, I got a kick with your "Muppet" I actually LOL. Really good work all.

armymom1228
09-12-2009, 07:48
Richard, I got a kick with your "Muppet" I actually LOL. Really good work all.

Yes very good work. He should, if he doesn't already, find a gallery to represent him. HIs other stuff he has shown is equally as good.

ODA CDR (RET)
09-13-2009, 16:45
For those that don't know him. I didn't see any of Spikes work mentioned. Check out this awesome site.

http://www.soloveyart.com/easel.htm

Penn
09-13-2009, 19:40
Recent work

Richard
09-13-2009, 19:41
Nice - how's the show going?

Richard

Penn
09-13-2009, 19:44
This and 8 others down...16 to go

armymom1228
09-13-2009, 19:55
For those that don't know him. I didn't see any of Spikes work mentioned. Check out this awesome site.

http://www.soloveyart.com/easel.htm

By any chance would the drawing below be one of his?
It is on my son's wall at his apt in Fayetteville.

Thanks for the link. I realy like Spike's drawings. Great stuff!

I was told that the man with the baseball cap with the rifle, in the left of the drawing below is, Tung Nguyen. I forget who else I was told who was who.
AM

ODA CDR (RET)
09-14-2009, 04:31
Hard to say Army Mom. Check the sig. Spike has done hundreds of drawings, could be, but his detail is phenomenal.

mojaveman
09-20-2009, 19:45
Recent work

Nice paintings Penn,

I liked the first one the best.

Hatchetforce
09-21-2009, 14:00
http://militaryillus.home.att.net/

http://www.dickkramer.com/quotSPECIAL-FORCESquot-40Print-1504-11-x1441-_p_81.html

http://www.dickkramer.com/Military-Art_c_31.html

http://www.skipperpress.com/

armymom1228
09-21-2009, 16:36
Hard to say Army Mom. Check the sig. Spike has done hundreds of drawings, could be, but his detail is phenomenal.

Called the owner of the above print. He says it is Spike's work. I really liked the fact it is a pencil drawing. Not many do that anymore. Was looking at his other stuff. Really impressive body of work this person has.

armymom1228
09-21-2009, 16:37
Recent work

nice, nice work. I like it very much.