PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hog Hunting

Stras
03-24-2009, 12:04
Here some pics from the Hog Hunt last week. Great time with 3 QP brothers. Between the four of us, we had over 30 yrs in SF.

Final Total: 5 Hogs, 2 Havelina, 1 Racoon, 1 coyote

Team Sergeant
03-24-2009, 15:21
Nice!

Do you cook those things up???

Roguish Lawyer
03-24-2009, 16:05
Looks like some really good eating. TS -- we can go get some of those in AZ, can't we?

Stras
03-24-2009, 16:56
If they are 50lbs or less, they taste pretty damn good.

I don't recommend eating havelina. While they look like a hog, they are actually from the rodent family and smell about as bad as a skunk. We left them out for the buzzards to eat.

And the one that's hanging, we shot 19 times before the sucker decided enough was enough. I shot him at 150m with a Remington 700 .270 (130 grain) just behind his front shoulder (which went through a lung) with about 15 seconds of daylight remaining. She darted off the trail into the woods. Armed with pistols and flashlights we tracked the blood trail, she was about 20 ft in the woodline still standing and wheezing. 15 ft pistol shot to the head, she runs off 30 ft then stops. 15 ft pistol shot to the body, she wheels and acts like she wants to charge. 2 pistol rds in the nose (broke jaw, 2d rd blew out left side of jaw), she again takes off. each time she runs 20 - 40 ft before stopping. At this point we've gone about 100m and crossed another trail. We unloaded on her at one point with about 10 rds (combination .45 and 9mm) and she's still standing. at this point the 1911 goes dry (11 rds), and we pump 5 more 9mm into her. she finally drops dead.. then we get to drag her sorry ass back to the frigging road about 60 ft back. Once we get her hung at the camp, we count 19 bullet holes (accounting for all rds expended), with 11 of those in the head, and 8 in the chest. Her final weight was about 200lbs.

rltipton
03-26-2009, 17:55
The bigger ones are okay if you turn them into sausage, but the best ones are like Bill says...50-60 lbs or less. That was a great time bro. Thanks again for having me out & thanks for the pics. I'm going hog hunting with my dad again tonight. I just tried calling you. *Tag* Be safe!

rltipton
03-26-2009, 17:58
Hey man, the boss wants a copy of the last photo but without the eyes blocked out. Thanks! haha

Buffalobob
03-28-2009, 15:04
Sounds like a good time!!!

Where were you hunting?

JJ_BPK
03-28-2009, 15:29
If they are 50lbs or less, they taste pretty damn good.

I don't recommend eating havelina. While they look like a hog, they are actually from the rodent family and smell about as bad as a skunk. We left them out for the buzzards to eat.

And the one that's hanging, we shot 19 times before the sucker decided enough was enough. I shot him at 150m with a Remington 700 .270 (130 grain) just behind his front shoulder (which went through a lung) with about 15 seconds of daylight remaining. She darted off the trail into the woods. Armed with pistols and flashlights we tracked the blood trail, she was about 20 ft in the woodline still standing and wheezing. 15 ft pistol shot to the head, she runs off 30 ft then stops. 15 ft pistol shot to the body, she wheels and acts like she wants to charge. 2 pistol rds in the nose (broke jaw, 2d rd blew out left side of jaw), she again takes off. each time she runs 20 - 40 ft before stopping. At this point we've gone about 100m and crossed another trail. We unloaded on her at one point with about 10 rds (combination .45 and 9mm) and she's still standing. at this point the 1911 goes dry (11 rds), and we pump 5 more 9mm into her. she finally drops dead.. then we get to drag her sorry ass back to the frigging road about 60 ft back. Once we get her hung at the camp, we count 19 bullet holes (accounting for all rds expended), with 11 of those in the head, and 8 in the chest. Her final weight was about 200lbs.

Nice story,, Have the same problem here,, Trying to tell people the .45, .357, or 9mm are not for puerco..

abc_123
03-28-2009, 18:10
Nice story,, Have the same problem here,, Trying to tell people the .45, .357, or 9mm are not for puerco..

Two mixed-breed dogs, a human willing to wade in and grab some pork hind-legs, and a big 'ol spear did the trick for the one my boy got.:lifter

JJ_BPK
03-28-2009, 20:15
Two mixed-breed dogs, a human willing to wade in and grab some pork hind-legs, and a big 'ol spear did the trick for the one my boy got.

That's Spartan... :D:lifter

Hope the dogs are OK?? :D:lifter

abc_123
03-29-2009, 09:57
The dogs were mixed cur breeds. Bred for it.

Just hope they don't let go of the front end as you're going for the back legs!

Stras
03-29-2009, 10:24
Where were you hunting?

Near Beeville, which is near Goliad, north of Victoria, SE of San Antonio, SW of Houston. Private Hunting Lease.

Awesome time.. We're headed back in June or July for round 2, and then deer season in Nov/Dec.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-23-2009, 18:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

This should be in an Ateams training plan..

JoeyB
12-24-2009, 09:52
OK I have got to find a way to get in on one of them hunts!

LarryW
12-25-2009, 05:34
Here's a good website re: hog hunting anywhere but esp in Texas. Enjoy and welcome if you join the site. The members are a collection of good people.

http://www.texasboars.com

Merry Christmas!

LarryW
01-01-2010, 19:27
Here's a link to a really good hunt in the San Antonio area.

http://www.nighthogs.com

Good hunting!

Buck
01-01-2010, 20:44
During dear season....lol, catch a big ole grizzler of a hog, sedate him, strap a big ole set of deer antlers on him, and let him loose. Could you imagine the look on some hunters face as he's sighting in on him? This is why they warn people from drinking...

Buck

LarryW
01-02-2010, 04:01
Call it a "Pigalope" and tell them that bucks are off limits but it's open season on does!

MtnGoat
01-02-2010, 08:50
Looks like a great time had!!!

Nothing netter then Texas Boar hunting.

LarryW
01-03-2010, 06:13
Looks like a great time had!!!

To clarify a point, MtnGoat...The Nighthogs.com website is maintained by Randy Tausch who facilitates the hunts. I'm not in any of the videos...haven't been there yet :( but I sure want to. Right now I'm planning on a hunt in February. An excuse to visit my new grandbaby in Austin and at the same time get some sausage on the table. You're right...looks like a great time had, and I'm overdue for a sample.

Wanted to clarify the point to relieve my own confusion.

Good hunting!