PDA

View Full Version : LR AR

kgoerz
03-20-2009, 14:50
OK, Not a really really long Range Rifle. But set up unlike an Assault Weapon. I put this together last night and took it to our Range today. Fired 300 Rounds thru it with no issues.
Specs:
1. DPMS Lower
2. Custom Made Upper (I purchased this a year and a half ago off some Guy on AR15.com. For the life of me and can't remember the name of the Guy who built it)
3. Free Float 16"Barrel
4. 4X Power Leapers Scope with Mil Dot Reticles.
5. Harris Bipod with GG&G Rail attachment.
6. Charging Handle has the enlarged pull release.
7. Tango Down Rail Covers.
8. Everything else is Standard AR Material.
I only had a 50 Yard Range to test the Grouping. The photo shows five round Groups with Federal 55 and 68 Grain Ball Ammo. Zeroing was easy with the 1/4 MOA Scope.

longrange1947
03-20-2009, 17:27
Keith - I see your shooting has not suffered while being "retired". :)

Peregrino
03-20-2009, 19:52
4. 4X Power Leapers Scope with Mil Dot Reticles. ------ I only had a 50 Yard Range to test the Grouping.

Now you need to get some real glass and show us what it'll do at 300. :munchin

Five-O
03-20-2009, 19:52
Those are three ridiculous groups.

kgoerz
03-20-2009, 21:14
Keith - I see your shooting has not suffered while being "retired". :)

You got me, it was one Meter and I used my Letter Opener..

Check this out.
I wanted a Fixed Stock for it. We were in MD at MVM'S Shooting Range with nice Pro shop. I was going to buy the Lower they had available. Since I had a DC Drivers License they wouldn't sell me one. Even thou I was LEO with US Marshall Creds. So I purchased the Collapsible one thru another LEO, all legal of course.
So much for that supreme Court decision in DC.

longrange1947
03-20-2009, 21:35
The problem is the peoples' republic of Maryland. :D

Run by the compound if you ever get by and look at all the improvements.

There are SUEs now being run again, check on that as well. :munchin

kgoerz
03-20-2009, 21:52
The problem is the peoples' republic of Maryland. :D

Run by the compound if you ever get by and look at all the improvements.

There are SUEs now being run again, check on that as well. :munchin

I dropped off the Ladders we borrowed last month on my way to GA. On a Sunday thou. You Guys Squared us away as usual.
I have to drive to Fayetteville Monday Morning and spend the night. If you are there Monday afternoon ill stop by. We are building our Sniper program now. I will be picking you Brain for some info soon, trust me.
I was away when they decide to purchase our first batch of Sniper Guns.
I will never disclose the Guns that showed up in the Mail out of pure embarrassment:eek:
Ill get it fixed.

longrange1947
03-20-2009, 22:08
K. I'll be there. Drop by and we can talk old times and new times. :D

kgoerz
03-21-2009, 10:12
Correction on the Upper.
It was purchased off a Member of LightFighter.com. He built it himself and did an outstanding job by the way.

Buffalobob
03-22-2009, 09:10
Since I had a DC Drivers License they wouldn't sell me one.

I tried to buy a Rem XP 100 action and DC would not register it because it was not on the California Safe Gun List. One of the more wonderful thought processes in the world when a single shot target pistol is deemed a dangerous weapon.

Maybe with the right to representation they will get the second amendment provision passed.

kgoerz
03-22-2009, 10:01
I tried to buy a Rem XP 100 action and DC would not register it because it was not on the California Safe Gun List. One of the more wonderful thought processes in the world when a single shot target pistol is deemed a dangerous weapon.

Maybe with the right to representation they will get the second amendment provision passed.

What I have to do since I now live in DC. I just need to type up a letter saying its for official use. Shooting it is training, so thats official. Then my Commander signs it. Thats for LEO purchase. I don't know what Military has to do.
If my boss was at the Range that day he would of done it right there. The Gun shop actually had a letter on hand we could of used.
But it was the first time I was ever denied buying a Firearm. You don't think much about it until it actually happens to you. Kind of scary.
DC did get their Gun Ban lifted a little while back. But the City Council quickly stepped in and passed all kinds of restrictive rules making it difficult to do so. Somewhere on here the rules for purchasing a Gun in DC are posted.

Buffalobob
03-22-2009, 10:51
When the Supreme Court ruling came down they declared 180 day amnesty.

It took me three trips to get all of my guns registered because I could only carry three or four at a time. :D

You will notice that I only list my Location as "Potomac River". That was because most of my hunting rifles were not registered. Just the recent purchases were registered.

Gene Econ
03-22-2009, 19:32
Now you need to get some real glass and show us what it'll do at 300. :munchin

PG:

Don't be 'dissin' that Leapers scope. Must have cost a good $40.00 if not $50.00!

A friend of mine has an ACOG clone made by Leapers. Honestly -- for about $100.00 that Leapers ACOG clone has better glass, actually indexes elevation and windage without having to beat the knobs after adjusting -- and it doesn't seem to fog up in cold wet weather conditions. The reticle pattern is right on the money to 500 meters too. I looked through it and was amazed at its clarity.

So you must axed when the Leapers was made -- and no longer believe that because it is a Leapers that somehow it is a POS. He, he, he.

Leapers Owners of the World Unite!!!!

Gene

longrange1947
03-22-2009, 20:11
Gene, you the president of LOWU? :munchin :D

Gene Econ
03-22-2009, 21:13
Gene, you the president of LOWU? :munchin :D

Rick:

Lord Have Mercy I hope not. I have a hard enough time tying my damn boots up.

I will say though that the Leapers I mentioned does exist and it is about ten times better than any Trijicon ACOG I have had to deal with over the last X number of years and Y ACOGs.

Ten days ago I got to deal with a ACOG (donut reticle in .308) that I dealt with circa 2004. Have no clue how the unit ever got these ACOGs but they had four then, took all four to war and returned with all four -- much to my displeasure.

None held zero and one fogged up pretty badly. Just like the same ones did in 2004 -- imagine that? It is like Ground Hog Day in my arena.

What is more funny is when I deal with the M-24's. I can recognize them from their paint jobs and can take them back four or five shooters from two or three different units.

I think I will change my job into some sort of counselor for fifteen or twenty year old M-24's whose barrels are more like paradox barrels than rifled barrels and whose screws have been covered with fifteen or twenty coats of bow flage or enamel paint -- whose BDC remains calibrated for M-852 in yards and is backwards, et al. I have even seen a couple with M-80 Ball BDC's. He, he, he. I mean I can communicate with these rifles I have seen them so many times. It is like they are part of my family almost.

One thing I will say about an M-24 is that they will shoot damn good no matter how many inches of rifling have been removed from the chamber area. A phenomenon IMHO about as significant as that experience I had with that Leapers ACOG that remains head and shoulders above any Trijicon $1K POS I have ever seen.

LR55