PDA

View Full Version : New knife...

Claemore
03-18-2009, 22:53
In the next couple of days I will be posting pics of a new knife I made.

This one was a pain in the butt to make. Lately heat treats have been difficult. I have been using chainsaw guide bars due to money restrictions, and the fact that they make awesome blades; but not knowing what kind of steel it is has made heat treating a guessing game.

Hopefully soon, I will be able to buy some specific steel and have it professionally heat treated.

But anyway, I am pretty proud of this new blade. It will be the only one I have been able to make for myself.:boohoo

Claemore
03-21-2009, 20:06
My camera is broken.:mad:

Team Sergeant
03-21-2009, 20:15
My camera is broken.:mad:

Do push-ups.

Claemore
03-23-2009, 16:18
Yes! Team Sergeant! Thank you for training my mind and my body... How does it go? It has been more than twenty years. I borrowed a friend's camera. Will post tonight.

x SF med
03-23-2009, 18:59
This thread is useless without pics, Claemore. :munchin

I don't know whether to laugh or be jealous...

PSM
03-23-2009, 19:28
I don't know whether to laugh or be jealous...

I've got a broken camera you can have, Doc. :D

Pat

Claemore
03-23-2009, 22:19
Having problems downloading. Will try again tomorrow. I have to go to work.

x SF med
03-24-2009, 08:54
I've got a broken camera you can have, Doc. :D

Pat

I was talking about the knife...

Claemore
03-24-2009, 13:53
Boy, I had trouble up loading this. My computer is old and slow, I'm bad with computers, and the wife is at work. I'm going to post more as I go.

Claemore
03-24-2009, 14:45
Here is the other side. Anyway, the blade length is 3 7/8", thickness is 3/16", and the handle length is 4 1/8". It's got a bottle opener too.:D

I put serrations on the forward part of the recurve, because I have always felt that serrations are more helpful up front. When I start a cut on a rope for example, and I've noticed most people do this, I hold the blade edge up and loop the material to be cut at the rear of the edge, then I pull the knife towards me. I've always thought that serrations at the rear hindered the cut because you start with the "rough" edge. With the serrations up front your cut is started by the "smooth" part of the edge, and pulled into the serrations, making the cut, I think, a lot smoother.

Anyway, the edge is "sticky" sharp. I was able to hold up a napkin by one hand and cut it while it was hanging loose.

Thanks for everyone's interest. I'm getting better at this knife making thing.:lifter

x SF med
03-24-2009, 19:59
Interesting design - it would make an iteresting field knife - how are you going to sheath it?

Claemore
03-24-2009, 20:37
I've never made sheaths before, but am going to this time. A friend of mine suggested using cargo straps. I'll just pancake two pieces together, stitch them up . I'll see what I can come up with. I will post the pics of that when that is done. I even thought about using that Rhino Lining in a can on top of the sheath. But I'd also like to have a concealment sheath for it- maybe a boot sheath.