PDA

View Full Version : That Time of Year Again (Almost)

swpa19
03-15-2009, 11:55
The Spring Gobblers are in their mode right now. The Pennsylvania spring turkey season will begin on 18 April. "Bearded" Birds only.

The first pic is of a "Bearded" Hen.

These are my "Alarm Clocks" at 0445 every morn.

Peregrino
03-15-2009, 19:15
The wife is keeping track of the flock in our yard too. The pictures are a little blurry because she's taking them through the window and screen.

BryanK
03-16-2009, 12:09
Thank you for the photos. Here in MD spring turkey starts on the 18th also. Can't wait! On a side note, if those turkeys are waking you up too early, I think something can be done to remedy that situation :D

pennywise
03-16-2009, 23:02
Season I believe starts on the 11th here in NC, Males only, but if you got a kid to take you can go on the 4th for youth day. If the turkeys are as hot as last year I will be using a bow!:D Lets post some more pics this year! I will be taking a trip to SC also to visit a friend in Seneca, lots of turkeys there.

Penn
03-31-2009, 11:53
I've never eaten a wild turkey. What is the taste like...how much fat do they render...and what is the leg meat like..is it tough? And how are you cooking them?

swpa19
03-31-2009, 13:38
Wild turkey tastes are very similar to domesticated birds, with just a hing of wildness to them. Theyre cooked just like the domesticated breeds, including deep frying.

Spring Gobbler can be a bit tough, given the regime that they put themselves through. They eat very little during the mating season, opting for sex and propogation vs sustinence. Guess I would too if I only got it once a year. Come to think of it, Im close to that now.

PENNYWISE Being from NC, your in a good spot (except for the trip to Texas) to start your quest for the Grand Slam.

To verify: There are 4 main sub species of Wild Turkey: The largest being the Eastern, The Osceola (Florida Turkey), The Merriam, found mainly in the Western U.S. and parts of Canada. Also in my opinion one of the most colorful, given their pure whit tailfeathers. Lastly the Rio Grande Turkey. It is found in Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma in the U.S.

Bagging one each of these turkeys gives the hunter the Honor of joining the "Grand Slam Club".

I once figured out the cost of "Joining" this club. It came out to something like $750.00 per pound, per bird.

BryanK
03-31-2009, 16:35
Wild turkey tastes are very similar to domesticated birds, with just a hing of wildness to them. Theyre cooked just like the domesticated breeds, including deep frying.

Spring Gobbler can be a bit tough, given the regime that they put themselves through. They eat very little during the mating season, opting for sex and propogation vs sustinence. Guess I would too if I only got it once a year. Come to think of it, Im close to that now.

Being from NC, your in a good spot (except for the trip to Texas) to start your quest for the Grand Slam.

To verify: There are 4 main sub species of Wild Turkey: The largest being the Eastern, The Osceola (Florida Turkey), The Merriam, found mainly in the Western U.S. and parts of Canada. Also in my opinion one of the most colorful, given their pure whit tailfeathers. Lastly the Rio Grande Turkey. It is found in Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma in the U.S.

Bagging one each of these turkeys gives the hunter the Honor of joining the "Grand Slam Club".

I once figured out the cost of "Joining" this club. It came out to something like $750.00 per pound, per bird.

You left out the Gould's:D (http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/turkey_gould/155/Goulds.shtml)

swpa19
03-31-2009, 17:22
You left out the Gould's

That one is new to me. Maybe, it would qualify in the "World Slam". Ill leave it up to the NWTF. to figure it out.

pennywise
04-01-2009, 21:39

Being from NC, your in a good spot (except for the trip to Texas) to start your quest for the Grand Slam.

I was going to Mcallen TX, regularly during season, so the opportunity is there for the Grand Slam, just never has materialized. Maybe when I retire , retire! hah!

swpa19
04-02-2009, 10:15
Maybe when I retire , retire! hah!

I retired in Feb. Now I only work 6 days a week and only 10 hours a day. One of the perks of owning your own business and being a workaholic I guess...

STR8SHTR
04-12-2009, 09:38
Well the spring season opened in NC yesterday. This year I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to hunt opening day unlike the last two years.

While waiting for this bird to fly down, I could see him strutting and gobbing on his perch high in a tree. It only took a few minutes after he flew down to put him on the ground. The bird weighed a little over 20 lbs., sported 1 3/16" spurs and a 9" beard. I feel very fortunate to have taken this bird as I have not had the opportunity to hunt over the last two years like I have years past.

swpa19
04-12-2009, 11:09
Did you call him in with mouth and slate. Or just slate?

STR8SHTR
04-12-2009, 15:49
Did you call him in with mouth and slate. Or just slate?

I just used only the slate for this one. That slate call has caused the death of quite a few gobblers.