PDA

View Full Version : Brass

Pete
03-14-2009, 07:36
http://www.georgia-arms.com/

Notice from Georgia Arms.

Can weapons and ammunition be "priced" out of reach of the average American?

doctom54
03-14-2009, 07:54
I think the short answer is no. It will be more expensive to stockpile ammo.
(But if you don't all ready have that you are behind the power curve).
It wil probably cut down on the availability of cheaper ammo and some will shoot less but I think most people who believe there is a NEED for sufficient quantities of ammunition will continue to get it

Pete
03-14-2009, 08:05
Right now a trip to the range costs about as much as a trip to the movies.

Costs depend on how many go with you, what and how much you shoot vs what show time you pick and how much you spend at the food counter.

.22 inserts :D might become more popular in order to keep stockpile levels a bit higher.

Peregrino
03-14-2009, 14:29
.22 inserts :D might become more popular in order to keep stockpile levels a bit higher.

Already part of the "marksmanship maintenance" program. Along with a couple high-end Airsoft pistols. I think everybody will be looking for viable alternatives to sustain training levels.

Paslode
03-14-2009, 14:51
If you reload military ammo, you 'might' stock up, start looking for new sources or save what you have. I Picked this up today over on AR15.com and there is a rumor circulating the Blogs and websites that Military Surplus ammo is now a thing of the past. I did some somemore searching and found the topic to be on several other forums posted by the same orgainzation at http://www.mtssa.org/. Nothing on there website about it.

There were a few mentions that this was accomplished through Executive Order but I have yet to find any documentation to confirm or deny that.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=137&t=844899

SurplusNews@govliquidation.com

SurplusNews@govliquidation.com
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:34 PM
To: rlepage@usa.net
Subject: Important Notice to Scrap Metal Buyers!

http://www.govliquidation.com

Dear Valued Customer:

Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA's current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,

DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Paslode

Pete
03-14-2009, 15:00
Kinda' like the brass thread right below your's?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22301

HOLLiS
03-14-2009, 15:51
On my euro stuff, I throw it in a bucket for the recycler. I am thinking of making the berdan hydraulic de-priming tool that I had planned to do years ago, getting berdan primers and reloading that stuff now.

I use to buy the mil stuff from Midway on sale.

Paslode
03-14-2009, 16:27
Kinda' like the brass thread right below your's?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22301

Looks like I dupt it.......:o

Gene Econ
03-14-2009, 18:30
Already part of the "marksmanship maintenance" program. Along with a couple high-end Airsoft pistols. I think everybody will be looking for viable alternatives to sustain training levels.

PG:

I would like to see some dates on that memo myself. I recall ten or fifteen years ago the same thing coming up via the Clinton Administration. Never seemed to stop the flow of commercially reloaded ammo using surplus components.

I am not sure I would want to reload surplus 5.56 or 7.62 due to headspace issues involving them being blasted through machineguns for the most part. I would imagine an issued carbine (overgassed) with a worn out throat wouldn't be so easy on brass either.

Not sure the fascination with once fired military brass myself. I have always found it to be difficult to work with.

Gene

Leozinho
03-14-2009, 19:51
Along with a couple high-end Airsoft pistols. I think everybody will be looking for viable alternatives to sustain training levels.

Never thought I'd be considering spending $150 on a toy that shoots plastic BBs, but I am.

(If you haven't looked into airsoft guns lately, they can be very sophisticated, especially for the 1911/2011 platforms. Plus, unlike a .22 conversion, you can practice in your garage, instead of driving to the range. That is another big reason to incorporate them into training.)

Defender968
03-15-2009, 07:39
I'm not sure of the accuracy of that info either, I just checked govliquidation.com and they still have brass listed, I was thinking about trying to reload military brass, so I was keeping an eye on brass on that site a few months back, but I haven't checked it in a little while, currently there is not as much as there usually was but that could be just coincidence as their inventory does fluctuate.

Blitzzz (RIP)
03-15-2009, 16:53
I have tossed out many pieces of Berdan. Let me know when you do that hydrolic thing. I do collect brass at the range that others leave behind. Never a problem with .45, 40, 9mm. alittle more difficule with .44Mag and spl and 308, 30-06. Blitzzz

frostfire
03-15-2009, 19:23

Never thought I'd be considering spending $150 on a toy that shoots plastic BBs, but I am.

(If you haven't looked into airsoft guns lately, they can be very sophisticated, especially for the 1911/2011 platforms. Plus, unlike a .22 conversion, you can practice in your garage, instead of driving to the range. That is another big reason to incorporate them into training.)

Peregrino Sir, Leozinho, would you care to elaborate which brand, fps, etc? IIRC, Guy has also started years ago using air**** for training sustainment, and Paul Howe uses them for cheaper force-on-force than simunitions.

I found them most useful for basic ie. dry fire (even if the trigger pull is different), draw-present-scan, retention exercise, reload, and target(s) acquisition/transition drill. With no recoil and zero ballistic, pretty much useless for anything else. Speaking of reloading, if Travis Tomasie is fast, this kid is a little faster (copy and paste) youtube.com/watch?v=_aI4n6YaycM Reminds me of the Sparrow boys clip NDD posted years ago.

This may be redundant, but dry wall and other common household surfaces don't get along with those seemingly weak BBs. The SO might ask what caused those tiny dimples:D

Sorry for the hijack, Pete..and I'm done discussing air****. Please don't smite me, TS

Peregrino
03-15-2009, 19:39
FF - I think mine are KWCs. One's a Caspian liscensed model functionally identical to my Kimber TLE RLII, the other is a Sig 226R copy. They are very realistic copies; everything works just like the real pistols. Both are GBB and allow me to practice EVERYTHING I need to master for the real ones. GBB doesn't have "recoil" per se but the reciprocating slide does require all eight marksmanship fundamentals to get follow-on shots. My only complaint is that the slides are fractionally larger and they require re-tensioning the holsters. HTH.

Leozinho
03-15-2009, 20:13
Leozinho, would you care to elaborate which brand, fps, etc?

I haven't bought one yet, so I can't help you out. I'm about to buy one, though.

IIRC, Guy has also started years ago using air**** for training sustainment, and Paul Howe uses them for cheaper force-on-force than simunitions.

I found them most useful for basic ie. dry fire (even if the trigger pull is different), draw-present-scan, retention exercise, reload, and target(s) acquisition/transition drill. With no recoil and zero ballistic, pretty much useless for anything else. Speaking of reloading, if Travis Tomasie is fast, this kid is a little faster (copy and paste) youtube.com/watch?v=_aI4n6YaycM Reminds me of the Sparrow boys clip NDD posted years ago.

Sorry for the hijack as well. I will continue to draw, reload and dry fire with my duty pistol, but there's a tendency to be dishonest in calling hits and fooling yourself that you actually got a good sight picture and good trigger press when just dry firing. I think the airsoft handgun will give me the feedback to keep me honest. Also, while there won't be enough recoil to work on recoil managment, the sights lift a bit when the slide cycles, so you can work on seeing the front sight lift and settle.

There are some competition shooters in Japan that don't have access to a real firearms that practice exclusively with Airsoft guns. (Probably the guy in your video). They do very well when they travel to the US or the Phillipines to compete. So it's a legitimate training tool.

The FoF applications can be huge but that's probably for another thread.

Paslode
03-17-2009, 17:48
I went to the local Range/Fun Store today, the counter guy told me that the Kansas LEO's are now required to sweep up all their spent casings and ship them someplace for destruction.

Gets more interesting by the day.

Mycroft
03-17-2009, 20:41
Just a quick heads up, I've just received confirmation from multiple sources that the mutilation order has been rescinded. These confirmations come from georgia arms, govliquidation, NRA, GOA, and the JPFO among other groups.