PDA

View Full Version : Chain Of Command

OIFVET
03-13-2009, 11:01
I have a question for senior military NCO's and Officers here. What is our Army coming to? This morning I tried to take initiative and update our company Chain Of Command board. It wasn't updated because we just redeployed recently. In order to make sure it was current, I went to every company and to BN to look at theirs. None of them were updated! I asked various SSG's and a few LT'S and CPT's, and I got different answers from everyone. What ever happened to leading by example. Correct me if im wrong, but all of the boards should have exactly the same people accept for their own 1SG and CO right? This is only one for instance, there are a few others that fit the same category. I am a SPC in the Army. Why is it that I seem to give a damn about something like that, but most everyone else doesn't? Most of them that I asked didn't even know the full Chain Of Command. Now I can't speak for other units, but most in mine seem to only care about themselves, not the mission or the Creed Of The NCO. Feedback?

Pete
03-13-2009, 11:14
I.. This morning I tried to take initiative and update our company Chain Of Command board. It wasn't updated because we just redeployed recently. ......

G1/S1?

As I seem to recall, when a leader was changed his/her G1/S1 section produced a picture and sent them on down the chain. Each level level removed their picture, sent the rest on down and replaced the picture at their level.

Not a picture board, just names? Then it should be easy to change a name and reprint the CoC.

That is a very good question to ask your 1SG or CSM.

OIFVET
03-13-2009, 11:20
It is a picture board. I asked the 1SG and he didn't even know. He just told me to do it how BN has theirs. So I went there. It wasn't current so I asked various NCO's. They didn't know. I got a different answer from all of them. Some looked at me with that "duh" look on their faces. I am not trying to complain here. It just that, these are the people that our young Soldiers are following. I am just a SPC. But I am also 32 years old. I know leadership when I see it. Most of the time I keep my mouth shut and make sure I watch my lane. But this is getting to be rediculous.

Basenshukai
03-13-2009, 11:22
Our Bn SGM got on the Co SGMs and the HHC 1SG to make sure these were properly updated. Our S1 provided the photos to the companies. It was not that complicated, or a big deal. It's as basic as cutting the grass in front of the company area.

redleg99
03-13-2009, 11:31
What is our Army coming to?

Rest assured, the Army is going to be OK.

Pete is absolutely correct: Helping to keep the CoC boards updated is an S1 function.

However, since your unit is now resetting, I’m willing to bet your S1 shop is overwhelmed with improcessing all the new personnel, and getting the evaluations and awards done for the departing personnel. You may even have a new S1 officer or NCOIC who doesn’t understand their responsibilities regarding CoC photos.

The leaders in your unit are likely in the same boat: trying to deal with the multitude of issues associated with reset, and unaware of their responsibilities associated with the CoC board.

Edit to add:

If you have talked to your 1SG already and he sent you to Bn, see your Bn S1 NCOIC and offer to help fix the problem.
If you get no love there, go back to your 1SG, tell him what happened, and ask if you should go see the Bn CSM.

Between your 1SG and the CSM, I think the problem will get solved

Richard
03-13-2009, 11:40
Our boards used to end at Group and were the Adjutant's baliwick - (1) OpSec and (2) if you didn't know who your C-Team CDR/CSM or B-Team CDR/SGM were, you had no business going before a promotion board and were never going to be a Super Numerary for guard mount anyway. :D

In the RA - we ended them at Company level and the XO had that little chore.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

mac117
03-13-2009, 11:45
OIFVET you are doing the right thing by taking the initiative and correcting the board. Instill that same initiative in your peers and pretty soon your CoC will follow suit....(referring to your immediate CoC, Tm Ldr's, Sqd Ldr's, etc.....)

The desire for excellence is contagious.......don't be afraid to spread it.

Dozer523
03-13-2009, 11:59
I What is our Army coming to?
I am a SPC in the Army. Why is it that I seem to give a damn about something like that, but most everyone else doesn't? Feedback?
Maybe they prioritized their "Number One Prioities" differently. In the future just do it (if it is so blindingly obvious -- even a cave man could do it). Don't ask if you can , and don't tell anyone. Just because, maybe it's NOT so "blindingly obvious"! Nothing hurts worse then as A@@-chewing for over-achieving. :D

redleg99
03-13-2009, 13:03
This is only one for instance, there are a few others that fit the same category.

Ahh.. I see that your question is a little broader than I first thought.

Since you “just redeployed recently,” I’m assuming your unit is going through reset now.
In my experience (two reset periods following OIF deployments), here is what I think might be going on:

1. You have had a lot of personnel turnover, including leaders. This means you have many new leaders who are still “getting their feet wet,” and learning the ins and outs of your particular organization. This causes friction across the board, as even the leaders who have not rotated have to deal with subordinates or superiors who have.

2. Your unit has forgotten how to live and work in garrison. You spent the last year deployed, and knowledge regarding “garrison ops” was forgotten. This is exasperated by the turnover in leaders. You might think “garrison ops” are just common sense, but as you are assigned to different units, you will see different units do things in different ways. In any event, this causes more friction, as your unit essentially no standard procedures for doing anything, and must start from scratch.

3. As I alluded to in my previous post, reset creates a huge amount of work for your leaders, which in and of itself is painful. But add that to the other two things I have mentioned, and you start to see little things begin to slip, like the CoC boards.

All this is normal. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have bad leaders, it just means that all the changes associated with reset are overwhelming them right now. In a few months, I think you will see things get better.

OIFVET
03-13-2009, 14:18
Some very insightful responses here. Now that I think about it, I should have figured as much. I do not mind at all get what needs to be done completed, no matter how big or small. However, I find it hard to believe that the 1SG didn't even know. But again, going back to your responses, he's only been 1SG for 6 months. Sometimes its just aggravating taking initiative with something that seems to be a minor issue compared to the other redeployment stuff. Maybe I should just stop getting over zealous and just do as im told. I guess part of the problem is i am overly ambitous about damn near everything. I guess that's why I put my SF packet in. I have never seen a better group of professionals anywhere. I am so freakin eager to be part of an outfit that takes pride in everything they do. OK, ill stop now. Thanks for your feedback!

bailaviborita
03-14-2009, 13:33
I like the point about "garrison" attitude- especially in a unit that recently redeployed. It is a weird feeling to be confronted with a "garrison" priority that you think is so low on the totem pole to not be worthy of more than a second of thought just after you got back from an area where people were dying. Life does seem to be a little bit different- especially if you are confronted with someone who was either a) not mentally or physically close to any fighting in theater, or, b) hasn't been deployed in awhile- and is amped up about something that you think is inconsequential.

My .02 is that units probably have ALOT more to worry about right now across the board than making sure a lot of the "nice to have" S-1 stuff is perfect. With 1/1 rotation to reset times or less- CoC pictures seem to me to be inconsequential.