PDA

View Full Version : Ever drink a Rattler?

Mitch
03-06-2009, 22:37
It sounds bad, but when in Rome… (or Berchtesgaden)
One of the more obscure tastes that I acquired when I was stationed in Germany was a Radlermass. I noticed that many of the Germans that had just finished the long climb up the mountain to the Vorderbrand Gasthaus would call for what I thought was a “Rattler”. They would say. Ein Radler bitte! Soon they were served this very tall cold drink – it looked like beer? I soon found out that it was a mixture of the local brew, mixed with lemon/lime carbonated drink.

Since my team was staying at the Vorderbrand, we started ordering a Rattler, as we thought they were called. It is a well known thirst quencher amongst the locals there, we had never heard of it up north. We would usually work up a sweat, even on the coldest days coming back from the Jenner Ski Area, just a short kilometer away from the Vorderbrand, and that one liter Rattler would go down lke a Big Gulp from 7-11. But then we order a Weinbrand and a Bier, and break out the pinochle decks – life was good back then.

No, it’s not my favorite German Beverage, but is still in the top five. What’s your favorite from Germany?
;)
Mitch

zauber1
03-06-2009, 22:54
Radler refers to a bicycle, if I remember correctly.

My favorite drink from time spent in Germany is Maiselbrau Bier produced locally at the brewery in Bayreuth. I lived between Bayreuth and Grafenwoehr, out on the economy, and had Maiselbrau delivered to my house weekly. That is, when I could afford it on a SP4 salary raising 3 kids and a stay at home mom. When times got tight, I canceled the weekly deliveries and drove into Kemnath and picked up a rack at the monastery brewery there. They also made a good radler at the time.

Richard
03-06-2009, 23:08
Wenn Sie in Bayern ist...

Radler's are a great thirst quencher when skiing, hiking, biking, rafting, etc in the mountains of Bavaria.

The Radler came about because, in the mountains of Germany and Austria, the bicyclists (Radler in German) needed (1) something refreshing and somewhat nutritious after a long climb up a mountain road and (2) something which would allow them to remain sober to return down the long, steep hills. From this came the concept of a beer and lemon-lime (actually Zitronenlimonade in German) mixture in Germany and Austria, the Radler (D) and the Russ (A), basically the same as a Shandy in England.

The Radler is a normal Munchen "Helles" or a pilsner-style beer such as Zipfer mixed with 1/2 lemon-lime soda; the Russ is a mixture of 1/2 Weizenbier, such as Edelweiß Hefetrüb, and 1/2 lemon-lime soda. Both are refreshing, relaxing, and quite enjoyable (about 2.5% alcohol) when in the mountains and exercising.

Various names emerged for this mix from the various breweries - such as Alsterwasser, Russ'n, Weizenradler, Kristall Radler, etc.

Alsterwasser is often used in place of Radler because the Alster river in northern Germany was considered a source of cleaner water and, even though the beer was not actually brewed from the Alster's water, the lightness and clarity of the water became synonymous for those features of the Radler.

The source of the Radler was reported as follows:

On a hot summer afternoon in June of 1922, Franz Xaver Kugler, the owner of a Gasthaus high in the Deisenhofner Kugler-Alm in Bavaria realized that he did not have enough beer to accomodate all of his guests for the day, both bicyclists and mountain hikers. He decided to offer his remaining beer, a dark beer, as a mixture of beer and lemon-lime soda of which he had an ample supply. The drink was a hit and he named it after the bicyclists -- RADLER!

For me -- it's Grunerbrau, Rosenheimerbrau, Spatenbrau, Hasenbrau, and Auerbrau. I was never a fan of Klosterbrau aus Reutberg. :)

Y'all are making me homesick for the environs surrounding Bad Tolz...although the Weinsteuben around B-W aren't bad, either. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Mitch
03-07-2009, 00:49
Wenn Sie in Bayern ist...

Y'all are making me homesick for the environs surrounding Bad Tolz...although the Weinsteuben around B-W aren't bad, either. ;)

As much as I may have liked my Rattlers - I'll go the other way - the one I liked least.

One evening, my team and a few strap hangers were in a restaurant called the Maerkersher Hof - having dinner - we followed the food up with biers and schnapps as usual. Once that starts, dinner soon becomes about four hours long. Anyway - it didn't take long that every body was buying everbody a round of this and that, Gold Wasser, Korn, Kirsch Wassr, etc. Everybody was having a good ole time until one of the Straphangers secretly orderd a round of Ratzeputz!

Now I was still new, as were many on my team - we didn't know what Ratzeputz was. As they were passed arround, Doc Barnes just about jupmped out of his chair - he said "Hell no" I'm not drinking that shit agian." But he was trapped - there it was in front of him, and a man's got to do what man's got to do. I looked at this stuff, gave it a sniff and started to choke. Then the Straphanger gave us the rules. We all drink at the same time - the first one to chase it - buys the round.

So - Ein, zwei, drei ... Oh God - Help - I thougt my head was going to explode - after ten seconds my eyes waterd so bad I couldn't see - I couldn't breath. But Doc to the rescue - he hollerd out something obscene and poured what was left of his beer down his thoat - we all immediately followed suit.

I belive this stuff is some kind of grain alcohol mixed with ginger and various peppers and other hot stuff - I don't know. The name Ratzeputz means Rat Cleaner in German - fitting name.

Believe it or not, it's not so bad the second time you do that - you never knew when those damn straphangers were coming arround.
:D

JJ_BPK
03-07-2009, 04:46
The Radler came about because, in the mountains of Germany and Austria, the bicyclists (Radler in German) needed (1) something refreshing and somewhat nutritious after a long climb up a mountain road and (2) something which would allow them to remain sober to return down the long, steep hills. From this came the concept of a beer and lemon-lime (actually Zitronenlimonade in German) mixture in Germany and Austria, the Radler (D) and the Russ (A), basically the same as a Shandy in England.

Ditto,, My Scot buds got me into drinking a "ginger beer shandy" as the 1st round after Golf.

Then it was on to the good Whisky...

I never realized the combo is so common:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandygaff

swpa19
03-07-2009, 05:49
Used to love the New Wine Festivals. Drink itself was called Federweisser or Sauser, I believe (trusting a very old and foggy memory).

The stuff was so smooth and tasty you could set and drink it for hours, with what appeared to be no effect, till you stood up after an hour or so of showing the Germans how to drink.

Got many blank spots in my memory banks because of that stuff.

alfromcolorado
03-07-2009, 07:31
I was never much for the "mixed" drinks. Liked my wein und bier rein.

But I did like the Spatsi (sp?) for a thirst quencher so that I could get on with the beer at those mountain huettes.

Been hanging around Hamburg a lot lately; Baltic coast and Sylt, Danemark... The beer is okay... BUT, I sure miss those Bayern days.

Took my girlfriend (soon to be Frau) down to Toelz this last summer from Hamburg and, to my delight, she love it. Said the air was so fresh. Now she "wouldn't mind" eine Ferienswohnung down there...

There are so many great beers and wines in Europe it is hard for me to decide what I like best.

But I will say this, there are more and more good beers and wines here in the US and we are on a roll too. Still don't but any lemon lime soda in it though...

Mitch
03-07-2009, 09:31
But I did like the Spatsi (sp?) for a thirst quencher so that I could get on with the beer at those mountain huettes......

But I will say this, there are more and more good beers and wines here in the US and we are on a roll too. Still don't but any lemon lime soda in it though...

Spetzi, I remember those things too - and yep I liked them. It was like the Radlermass withoout the beer, (made of Coca-Cola and Fanta).

Regarding the american brews - I discovered Shiner about 12 years ago - Wow - a real German Beer made here in Texas (part of the problem is that its been so long since I've had any German beer, right out of the tap - I can't remember). I do know that most of the German Exports, just don't seem right to me. But the Shiner - it'll do.

Mitch

Richard
03-07-2009, 09:38
German export beers have preservatives which aren't in the beer you buy at the local gasthaus. Same with Singhai from Thailand. Expensive, too.

Shiner Bock - a nice, weighty beer but not a true Bock like in Germany - is also my beer of choice. Living in Texas makes that easy. My wife drinks Corona with a wedge of lime. :p

alfromcolorado
03-07-2009, 10:47
Spetzi, I remember those things too - and yep I liked them. It was like the Radlermass withoout the beer, (made of Coca-Cola and Fanta).

Regarding the american brews - I discovered Shiner about 12 years ago - Wow - a real German Beer made here in Texas (part of the problem is that its been so long since I've had any German beer, right out of the tap - I can't remember). I do know that most of the German Exports, just don't seem right to me. But the Shiner - it'll do.

Mitch

Like Richard said, the exports do have perservatives in them. But I will still drink an Erdinger or Maisels over a frigging Budweiser. Maybe not as good as in Euroland, but...

But a lot of the microbrews are really getting good in a lot of places in the US.

Shiners... I drank that back in 300F1 at Ft Sam Houston (back in the good old days when medics didn't have to do their whole course at Ft Bragg Medical University of UW Excellance). Good beer then and now, I am sure.

Mitch
03-07-2009, 12:12
Really, I can't remember a favorite brand of German Beer - manily, becuse everywhere I went, I would usually drink the local brew - I do remember particularlu licking (edit: well, I guess I might have licked it, but I prefered to sip it ha ha) the Dinkel Acher.

Mitch

Richard
03-07-2009, 12:59
Dinkel Acher

Do you mean Dinkelacker - Schwabenbrau from Stuttgart? MOO - it's OK - some was brewed by Spatenbrau and IMO better tasting.

As far as 300F-1, we drank mostly Pearl. Saturday morning barracks GI parties included a keg of iced down Pearl in the shower room downstairs in each of the two wooden WW2 barracks in which we were billeted and a steady stream of cup filling young SFers in and out as we went about cleaning the barracks and doing landscape maintenance. The 1SG would stop by and hang out with us when he got thirsty from all that supervising - he was Airborne and 1SG for a Company that was 1/2 SF (which he liked) and 1/2 legs going through the X-Ray tech program (which he hated). By the mid-point of 300F-1 we were down to occupying only one floor of one barracks and the other barracks was used to house more X-Ray techs.

Making the beer rounds:

91A Fort Bragg (veteran 91B4S instructors, male nurse OIC) any beer
300F-1 Fort Sam Houston Pearl
Hospital Rotations (I did mine at Reynolds Army Hospital, Fort Sill, OK) Coors which you couldn't get East of the Mississippi River back then
Dog Lab Fort Bragg in old hospital area (veteran 91B4S instructors, DVM OIC) any beer
91B4S at Bad Tolz used to do annual 4-6 week hospital rotations to either Augsburg (Hasenbrau) or Nurnberg (Patrizierbrau), too. Hasenbrau was pretty good, I didn't like the Nurnberg beers and mostly drank Spatenbrau.

I'm making myself thirsty here. Think I'll go to Roosters for a burger and a Shiner. :D

Rogue
03-07-2009, 15:30
Being of German Danubeswabian heritage, my father, who is well up in years, still has a six pack of Dinkelacker in his fridge on a consistant basis. On any given trip to the doctor, his first question is always.....
Can I still drink Beer?????

f50lrrp
03-07-2009, 17:47
"Dinkelacker, Dinkelacker, Hoi, Hoi, Hoi". from a radio spot while I was in Deutchland in the early 70's.

Mitch
03-07-2009, 18:43
Do you mean Dinkelacker - Schwabenbrau from Stuttgart? MOO - it's OK - some was brewed by Spatenbrau and IMO better tasting.

:munchin

Dinkelacker - Ok - that's how you spell it :o. I know that I liked it generally. But what's more, I just liked saying the word Dinkelacker - one of those German words that you just have to smile when you say it. Then too, it helps when it tastes pretty good.

alfromcolorado
03-07-2009, 22:26
Didn't realize that Dinkelacker owned SchwabenBraeu. Didn't really care that much for either of them but would swill them as required. Stuttgarter Hofbraeu was tolerable...

Availability of bayerische Biere in the area kept me off of all three pretty much. And a good vom Fass Guiness was good to go most anytime.

Toelz was heaven though.

alfromcolorado
03-07-2009, 22:27
Being of German Danubeswabian heritage, my father, who is well up in years, still has a six pack of Dinkelacker in his fridge on a consistant basis. On any given trip to the doctor, his first question is always.....
Can I still drink Beer?????

Donauschwaben.

Beautiful area.

Stras
03-08-2009, 21:17
I'll stick with Reutberg myself.. Josefi Bock being the first choice, but it's only brewed a few weeks of the year, followed by the Helles und Dunkel.

For those of you hanging in Colorado.. it's imported to Colorado Springs. We're still working on NC and their frigging ABC laws.

For some of those alte zehnte gruppen kameraden, there's some at the safe house in NC...

Stras

csquare
03-09-2009, 07:22
[QUOTE=Stras;253820]I'll stick with Reutberg myself.. Josefi Bock being the first choice, but it's only brewed a few weeks of the year, followed by the Helles und Dunkel.

I would second that Stras. Loved attending the bock fest every year.

QRQ 30
03-09-2009, 16:50
Our weekly ruck march consisted in a ruck march to the top of the Brauneck where we then enjoyed one or two or..... Raddler Massen. That made the climb more worthwhile.:lifter

ACE844
03-09-2009, 17:54
After a foray or two into Europe, I've grown to like Krusovice Imperial Chornay... Granted it's Czech, but it's smooth and delicious.

alfromcolorado
03-09-2009, 20:40
Hey bro, don't you know, there are lots of beers wherever you go.

I like the Reutberg beers too, but in Europe there are just too many to stick with just one.

I found Reutberg in a liquor mart in Las Vegas and another in Lexington KY.

It is getting interstate as well as international.

Is some bigger brewery acting as a fund site for these guys?

I'll stick with Reutberg myself.. Josefi Bock being the first choice, but it's only brewed a few weeks of the year, followed by the Helles und Dunkel.

For those of you hanging in Colorado.. it's imported to Colorado Springs. We're still working on NC and their frigging ABC laws.

For some of those alte zehnte gruppen kameraden, there's some at the safe house in NC...

Stras

Mitch
03-10-2009, 04:10
Our weekly ruck march consisted in a ruck march to the top of the Brauneck where we then enjoyed one or two or..... Raddler Massen. That made the climb more worthwhile.:lifter

There you go - another convert! Funny, I doubt I would enjoy one today unless it met the essential criteria that I was used to:

1. Tired and thursty.
2. In a Bavarian Mountian Gasthaus
3. Served to me by a huebsche dame
4. A couple of friends to drink it with - while we tease the lady about how strong she must be to carry those things around (let you decide which things we're talking about).

Ah the good life that was. A Miller Lite at Chilis just doesn't cut it.

Stras
03-10-2009, 14:18
Hey bro, don't you know, there are lots of beers wherever you go.

I like the Reutberg beers too, but in Europe there are just too many to stick with just one.

I found Reutberg in a liquor mart in Las Vegas and another in Lexington KY.

It is getting interstate as well as international.

Is some bigger brewery acting as a fund site for these guys?

Al, We're currently using the UW approach to expand the market in the states. Currently Reutberg is avail in parts of CA, NV, AZ, CO, and FL that I know of. Hadn't heard about the KY link, though I did drop a case at a QP's house in Hopkinsville when I PCS'd to NC. I've been dealing with the distributor in CA, which after a lot of hard work and sweat by some of our 10th SFG brothers, resulted in it being marketed in CO. At some point I hope to have it here in NC..

You should stop by next time and not send Herr "M" to do your dirty work. There's a couple of cold ones in the fridge, and Williams Schnapps in the freezer.

Stras

Mitch
03-12-2009, 02:56
Ever hear of Gelba Stuka?

Tastes almost as bad as Razeputz - a real gag reflex initiator.

We were told that it means "Bird of Prey Piss."

But if you were ever allowed to drink it - you earned it. And you were glad to do so.

Anybody know where it comes form?

mojaveman
03-13-2009, 01:37
I lived in East Germany for a few years and became very fond of the wheat beers. They're more popular there than in the West. I also had a chance to try a Radler and a Diesel. The Berliners weren't bad either.

jon1481
04-01-2009, 12:40
I remember my first radler at a guest house while on my first ski march...great, just great after racing against the other group coming in our direction! Quenched my thirst....much better then today's Gatorade...........................

Stras
04-01-2009, 15:35
The best location to drink a Radler is the at one of the hutte's on the backside of the Brauneck during lunch on a hard day's ski. Whilst sitting outside on the veranda and watching the scenery go by in their ski bunny attire.

Had one in Garmisch last night, but just wasn't the same.

Only here for a week, but putting away as much German beer as physically possible. Sat, we're meeting up with the guys in SFA LXV (65) in Bad Toelz for some cold Reutberg...

Stras

alfromcolorado
04-13-2009, 19:44
Why would anyone spoil the taste of a good beer with some other substance. Sounds like alcohol abuse to me...

Stras, when you getting back in town. Down with the MSOS graduation exercise and looking to burn some comp time.

Mitch
04-13-2009, 23:53
Why would anyone spoil the taste of a good beer with some other substance. Sounds like alcohol abuse to me...

Stras, when you getting back in town. Down with the MSOS graduation exercise and looking to burn some comp time.

Heard similar comments with regrd to "perfectly good airplanes."

alfromcolorado
04-14-2009, 04:23
Well, I could make the "leap" to airplanes since it was part of the best job I ever had in life...

But spoiling beer... Or wine... Well, to each his own I guess.

How about those folks that put Coca Cola in beer? That is going just a bit too far.

Now for my list:

Pilsner Urquell and Czech Budweiser are great on tap, taste decreases the longer it has been in the bottle. Still do the US version of Budvar in a bottle though. Better than standard US fare (Bud Light, come on...)

Erdinger or Maisel's helles or dunkles Weissbier are great ones, many others are quite tasty.

Schneider Weisse or Aventinus are great but can't drink a lot of them.

Like the Reutberg Biers too, but don't think they are the top notch of the top notch Biers. Best at the Kloster, decreases as you get farther from the Kloster.

Can always drink a well poured Guiness. Belhaven Scottish Ale is superb. Baltica out of Russia-different numbers for different tastes.

Karlovaċka Pivo out of Croatia is pretty good.

Hungary has a few good Sor too!!

Fact is, there are just too many good beers in the world to try to figure out which is best. A hellova lot of US micro brews are reestablishing the US as a beer producing country now too.

Cheers, Prost (or Prosit), Živjeli, Budem zdorovy, Egészségedre or however you might say it... Have a nice beer.

Stras
04-14-2009, 06:08

While I've heard of "perfectly good airplanes", I've yet to see one.. I'm pretty good at finding a flaw in any aircraft I jump out of to keep my myth going.

To each his own when it comes to taste. Though I stay away from the Anheiser Busch family myself. They did leave us a trailer full of beer in the middle of the quad at 2/75 after the panama invasion. We locked the gates, no one allowed out and commensed to getting rid of the evidence. And yes, the age limit was waived or not enforced for 24 hrs. But I have no official comment as to that piece of info, Senator.....

Al is talking of a "diesel" which is coca-cola and beer mix. Never liked that one, tried it once.. only beer I ever wasted.

Never cared for the Weissen beers either. felt too much like eating a loaf of bread after one beer. Though the crystal isn't too bad.

Sanwald
04-17-2009, 07:11
Augustiner rates as my favorite Beer.
Always good and the Biergarten at the brewery in Munich serves it from Wooden kegs!

I've got two 5 liter Kegs of Stuttgarter Hofbrau, and half a case of their Fruhlungs-Bier in the fridge right now. ( The girlfriend's parents and sister brought them as Easter gifts)

I'm about to go home and drink some...to get ready for tomorrow, when I'm going to a Birthday celebration on the Brauneck. Should be a good party with plenty of beer and good views.

Richard
04-17-2009, 08:20
I'm about to go home and drink some...to get ready for tomorrow, when I'm going to a Birthday celebration on the Brauneck. Should be a good party with plenty of beer and good views.

Hey...quit fruhling around! :D OK...we're jealous! Zum wohl! ;)

Utah Bob
04-17-2009, 10:41
I remember sitting at a hockey game between the Americans and the Germans in Tolz in '68. The locals sitting in front of us were drinking Gluwein. They had PLENTY and shared it with us.
After the game was over I walked back to the BOQ in the snow in my low quarters. Feet got frostbit. Never felt a thing.:D

Mitch
04-18-2009, 00:04
I remember sitting at a hockey game between the Americans and the Germans in Tolz in '68. The locals sitting in front of us were drinking Gluwein. They had PLENTY and shared it with us.
After the game was over I walked back to the BOQ in the snow in my low quarters. Feet got frostbit. Never felt a thing.:D

At least you were just walking!

My first experience with Gluwein (glowing wine). Was equallyable enjoyble - it was up on the Rossfeld ski area. We had been skiing there most of the day and came down for the last break of the day before doing the last few runs - we saw some folks drinking what we thought was just a hot red tea. When we found out it was wine - we decided to try it out.

Wow - I can't provide the adjectives that describe how good that was - sitting out on the porch with the afternoon sun starting to wane. The cold was just starting to creep back up to a point where you noticed it - then this drink that immediately warms you up - and then warms you up. You can't just drink one. But fortunately, we had more skiing to do so we had to stop after two.

Nice thing about the Rossfeld, it was 7 kilometers away from Bertchesgaden - and a whole lot of meters above it. There was this trail that you could take all the way back to B'gadden back then - don't know if it is still there now or not (1970's). Anyway, it was our custom to begin that last run by going back up to the top of the Rossfeld - getting in a group of about 10 or 12 and then taking off; shooting past the RossFeld Schihutte and flying low down the trail. It could get steep and tight at places and in the afternoon, there were alwasy slower people going down that we would just blow by staying close enough to them and each other that they probably felt they had wondered on to the autobahn.

This time - with a Gluwein buz - I rember it as the best run I ever had in my life - can't believe I didn't break my neck.

Utah Bob
04-18-2009, 05:39
'Course I never met a German bier I didn't like!:D
Oktoberfest '68 (http://lazybobranch.homestead.com/utahoktoberfest.jpg)

Mitch
04-18-2009, 09:44

I did - in fact this beer is supposed to be the granddaddy of all German Beers.

Pilsner Urquell

Actually a Czech beer but it is the original Pilsner beer - it was brewed by Germans for Germans and is regarded as the "source" for all beers using the name Pils, or Pilsner.

I don't like it because it is just a bit too harsh, bitter for me, though I have never had it on tap (even in Germany). It is available in every Gasthaus in Germany.

Read more about it: http://www.prazdroj.cz/en/about-beer/beer-production-chart

mojaveman
04-18-2009, 13:33

Dam!

I've drank a few large beers during my years in Deutschland but never one like that. Did that guy get a free wheelchair ride out of the beer tent?

Utah Bob
04-18-2009, 14:08
Dam!

I've drank a few large beers during my years in Deutschland but never one like that. Did that guy get a free wheelchair ride out of the bier tent?

Actually I don't remember a lot about the rest of the afternoon after they took the pic.
I was told I had a very good time.:D

mark the Engineer Officer
10-21-2009, 05:57
I live in Bamberg, a tiny town in Northern Bavaria with an unusually high brewery:person ratio. We're famous for our Rauch (sp?) Beer. The smoked beer tastes like drinking a hickory farms care package. After a liter or so you're done. This weekend begins the bock beer festivals for the region. I'll be sure to drink a mass of the stuff for all of you who can't be here.

Mitch
10-21-2009, 07:41
I live in Bamberg, a tiny town in Northern Bavaria with an unusually high brewery:person ratio. We're famous for our Rauch (sp?) Beer. The smoked beer tastes like drinking a hickory farms care package. After a liter or so you're done. This weekend begins the bock beer festivals for the region. I'll be sure to drink a mass of the stuff for all of you who can't be here.

Wow - something new - never ran accross a "smokey" Beer - in Germany, or anywhere else. Is this beer brewed by just one brewer or is common in all the towns arround and by all the local brewers?

10-21-2009, 11:52
Bamberg is its home...when I try to order it elsewhere (in Bavaria or anywhere else in Germany) they look at me like I'm a space alien. In Bamberg there are only two breweries that make it. Its one of those things that is worth a try, but probably won't be a favorite.

As far as favorite beers...I'd have to say the bock beer at Klosterbrau in Bavaria takes the cake. Its a darker wheat beer that has no bitterness. I recently went to the states and could not drink any Pils without getting the sour beer face. Looks like I've been spoiled.

PedOncoDoc
10-21-2009, 12:06
I've had the opportunity to try a few different smoked beers in microbreweries around the US. One of the more interesting ones was in Cleveland, OH, and was called a "smokestack porter." It's not my favorite style of beer, but I'm always in for sampling the local product(s)... :D

It all comes down to finding a good brewmeister who likes to experiment with the more exotic beer styles. Some will even take requests if you take the time to talk with them.

10-21-2009, 22:40
I'm headed to Munich this weekend...not my first time but whenever I go I usually do the same old things: Hoffbrau, Augustiner, etc. Do any of you have any suggestions on beers to try/places to eat/things to do that is a one of a kind exerpience?

mojaveman
10-21-2009, 22:57
When I was a GI in Germany over 25 years ago I was fortunate enough to have gone to Munich a few times. There used to be an AFRC Hotel there that was cheap but actually pretty nice. I seem to remember that it only cost about $15.00 per night. Does anyone know if it is still there? What about the name of the place? Anyway, I used to enjoy going to either the Lowenbraukeller or the Hofbrauhaus. If you went to the Lowenbraukeller on a Friday or Saturday night they had Bavarian folk dancing, singing, yodeling, etc. That in addition to drinking a few liters of beer and talking with friends made for a nice evening. Of course that was many years ago but now there are plenty of other restaurants and Gasthauses to go to in Bavaria's capital.

Mitch
10-22-2009, 00:40
I'm headed to Munich this weekend...not my first time but whenever I go I usually do the same old things: Hoffbrau, Augustiner, etc. Do any of you have any suggestions on beers to try/places to eat/things to do that is a one of a kind exerpience?

Munich - all Beer is good - so what is needed is to just enhance the experience - get some of the ooumpah oompah music and Make sure you get some of those big mugs of beer - the bigger the better.

Here are some examples of big Mugs.

13372, 13373

Here is just lots of Mugs.

mojaveman
10-22-2009, 09:29
Munich - all Beer is good - so what is needed is to just enhance the experience - get some of the ooumpah oompah music and Make sure you get some of those big mugs of beer - the bigger the better.

Here are some examples of big Mugs.

13372, 13373

Here is just lots of Mugs.

Nice pictures Mitch.

They're enough to make any man thirsty. :D

Oh, the beer looks good too.

ZonieDiver
10-22-2009, 14:28
Damn, I am IN LOVE with picture #3 - Beer Performer! My kind of woman...:D

alfromcolorado
10-22-2009, 20:43
There used to be an AFRC Hotel there that was cheap but actually pretty nice. I seem to remember that it only cost about $15.00 per night. Does anyone know if it is still there?

AFRC is a completely different animal now. The hotel in Munich closed a long time ago. Chiemsee is closed; I don't know if it was torn down. The Gen Walker in Berchtesgaden was turned back in the 90s and razed.

Garmisch isn't much different. The Patton, Von Steuben are closed and just sitting unused (as of last summer). The Abrams is AFRC offices and employee housing. Sheridan is closed and part of the Marshall Center. There is ONE hotel in all of Germany now, the Edelweiss near Sheridan Kaserne.

The old sport complex near the Bahnhof has been sitting unused for many years.

alfromcolorado
10-22-2009, 20:47
I did - in fact this beer is supposed to be the granddaddy of all German Beers.

Pilsner Urquell

Actually a Czech beer but it is the original Pilsner beer - it was brewed by Germans for Germans and is regarded as the "source" for all beers using the name Pils, or Pilsner.

I don't like it because it is just a bit too harsh, bitter for me, though I have never had it on tap (even in Germany). It is available in every Gasthaus in Germany.

Read more about it: http://www.prazdroj.cz/en/about-beer/beer-production-chart

It is excellent on tap. I drank it vom Fass lots of places in Germany, even in Cold War days.

alfromcolorado
10-22-2009, 20:50
Wow - something new - never ran accross a "smokey" Beer - in Germany, or anywhere else. Is this beer brewed by just one brewer or is common in all the towns arround and by all the local brewers?

I didn't know Bamberg was the home of Rauchbier, but I do know that there are several brewers that make it. Maisels was my first, and last, Rauchbier.

Didn't like it... And I am pretty flexible when it comes to beer. Well, at least in Germany.

But then, I am getting pretty flexible in the US too, as long as they sell a micro or two and not just Miller Light (flavored water).

Mitch
10-22-2009, 22:33
But then, I am getting pretty flexible in the US too, as long as they sell a micro or two and not just Miller Light (flavored water).

What amazes me is that people in this country actually go in to good bars and restaurants and order a Bud Light :(

After a tour of Germany - I came back unable to do two things (unless forced) - eat white bread and drink 90% of American Beers.

These, days, I drink Shiner Bock.

In fact - I think I'm going to grab one now.

Razor
10-23-2009, 14:09
Rauchbier...didn't like it...

Genau. Had a very good buddy stationed in Bamberg; visited him and tried both Rauchbier and Knoblauch Schnapps on the same night. Never again, and we had a short 'discussion' on the propriety of setting up one's buddy for such inhumanity from that point on.

alfromcolorado
10-23-2009, 14:22
What amazes me is that people in this country actually go in to good bars and restaurants and order a Bud Light :(

After a tour of Germany - I came back unable to do two things (unless forced) - eat white bread and drink 90% of American Beers.

These, days, I drink Shiner Bock.

In fact - I think I'm going to grab one now.

I am one up on you. I can't drink drip or perked coffee either.

Shiner is pretty good.

alfromcolorado
10-23-2009, 14:24
Genau. Had a very good buddy stationed in Bamberg; visited him and tried both Rauchbier and Knoblauch Schnapps on the same night. Never again, and we had a short 'discussion' on the propriety of setting up one's buddy for such inhumanity from that point on.

Knoblauch Schnapps? Sounds nasty. But a lot of those schnapps were pretty bad. Had Enzian?

MVP
10-23-2009, 17:22
Some of you might remember Rick, TM SGT 021 circa 1986. Anyway, he used to say "there's a pork chop in every glass" in reference to bier. Point being, no need to eat when you could drink. Rauch bier truely takes you there, seems like you get a big bite of ham with each swallow...

MVP

Razor
10-24-2009, 22:12
Al,

It was absolutely terrible. Can't say I remember ever having Enzian, and from the context, I'm probably a happier man for missing it. The rakyah (or however its spelled) in Macedonia left a lot to be desired...had to wash it down with an ouzo chaser, if that's any indication.

Mitch
10-25-2009, 00:40
I just swigged (or tried to) the worst beer, at least for me, that I have ever had the misfortune to taste. Went to a birthday party tonight. I did not bring any beer so it is my own damn fault - I got what I deserved. But the host had your typical Buds and Bud Lights - but he also had something new, that I had never seen. He insisted that I try it - (by the way, this guy has apparently never been out of Dallas). So I took one - in a green can - that should have been warning enough - it was a "Bud Light Lime" - gagggh. It was indescribably awful. I managed to choke down about half of it with the intention to catch my breath and swig the rest down, but just couldn't do it, when no one was looking I dumped the rest in the sink.

That left me with a Bud or a Bud Light - so I had a Diet Coke.

The Reaper
10-25-2009, 09:20
If you want a bad beer, try a Michelob Ultra with pomegranate and raspberry flavor.

TR

PedOncoDoc
10-25-2009, 13:34
I'd like to know why any self-respecting man would even THINK of trying fru-fru-flavored michelob ultra?? :confused:

Stras
10-25-2009, 13:54
I'd like to know why any self-respecting man would even THINK of trying fru-fru-flavored michelob ultra?? :confused:

Must have been a 3rd group guy....:munchin. He's probably a Red Stripe fan too......

God forbid you break the brewer's regulations.

Other than a lemon in weissen bier and a lime in corona... no fruit allowed.

mojaveman
10-25-2009, 13:55
I drank a cherry beer onetime when I was in Belgium. It came in a cute little bottle but it was too sweet. Now a Berliner which is a pilsner with just a small squirt of fruit juice in it isn't that bad, especially on a hot day when you're sitting alongside the Unter Den Linden. I enjoy my Kristallweizen with a slice of lemon also.

When I was on vacation I had a Czech beer called Bruno. I tried both the light and dark and I think it was flat one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Those Czechs might have something on the Germans. I've been told that when brewing beer it all begins with the water.

PedOncoDoc
10-25-2009, 16:27
Must have been a 3rd group guy....:munchin. He's probably a Red Stripe fan too......

God forbid you break the brewer's regulations.

Other than a lemon in weissen bier and a lime in corona... no fruit allowed.

A man after my own heart and palate.

The cherry beers and such are a bit different than an ultra-light beer further demoted from beer status with fruit flavorings. They definitely are not in the same class.

I've been known to enjoy a lambic from time to time - but it's typically in the company of someone who insists they will never find a beer they like - 85% of the time the leave with a new appreciation for the versatility of the stuff. :)

MVP
10-27-2009, 10:19
There is a place over south of Hofolding (east of Sauerlach on the other side of A8) that used to serve a LatschenMass. As I recall, a shot of kirsch or other red liquer poured into a Mass that also featured a nice big sprig from a spruce tree. Really wasn't as bad as it sounds.

By the way, if you are near the Sauerlach exit on A8 and are hungry try Rudi's gasthaus in Hofolding. They have really good schnitzel (by German standards) and Schweinshaxe. If you head east from the autobahn go about 1 Km and you will practically drive in the front door.

MVP

alfromcolorado
10-27-2009, 17:04
There is a place over south of Hofolding (east of Sauerlach on the other side of A8) that used to serve a LatschenMass. As I recall, a shot of kirsch or other red liquer poured into a Mass that also featured a nice big sprig from a spruce tree. Really wasn't as bad as it sounds.

By the way, if you are near the Sauerlach exit on A8 and are hungry try Rudi's gasthaus in Hofolding. They have really good schnitzel (by German standards) and Schweinshaxe. If you head east from the autobahn go about 1 Km and you will practically drive in the front door.

MVP

Schweinehaxe... My left arm starts hurting just thinking about that hunk of fat...

Utah Bob
10-28-2009, 15:00
If you want a bad beer, try a Michelob Ultra with pomegranate and raspberry flavor.

TR

Good God!
Do you chase it with Mike's Hard Lemonade?

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.:eek:

The Reaper
10-28-2009, 15:06
Good God!
Do you chase it with Mike's Hard Lemonade?

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.:eek:

A friend of my brother brought a six-pack over for me as a gift, and good manners forced me to drink one while he raved about how great it was.

Now where is that puking smiley?

TR

greenberetTFS
10-28-2009, 17:43
Recently while at Walmart I saw a 6 pack of Bud with Clamato.........:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

Stras
10-28-2009, 18:03
A friend of my brother brought a six-pack over for me as a gift, and good manners forced me to drink one while he raved about how great it was.

Now where is that puking smiley?

TR

You didn't spew it all over him as you choked on it????

alfromcolorado
10-29-2009, 20:08
This thread has definitely strayed from a most noble subject to talk of the most disgusting and vile...

Gentlemen, can we please return to the talk of BEER, one of the most notable discoveries of mankind? No more talk of vulgar irregularities like flavors and other distasteful additions...

Beer should be partaken in its purest form... From the keg. If that is not available, from a glass bottle.

In most desparate times it can be consumed from a can, but please, wash your mouth out as soon as possible with one of the more noble and civilized methods mentioned.

lksteve
10-29-2009, 20:30
This thread has definitely strayed from a most noble subject to talk of the most disgusting and vile....The subject of the thread was Radlers...a concoction I first experienced near Bad Toelz and that concoction was beer mixed with lemon lime soft drinks...thus, vile though it may be, pomegranate and raspberry flavored beer with a twist of lime and a vanilla bean is germane to the thread...IMNHO...

Slantwire
10-30-2009, 07:43
The subject of the thread was Radlers...a concoction I first experienced near Bad Toelz and that concoction was beer mixed with lemon lime soft drinks...thus, vile though it may be, pomegranate and raspberry flavored beer with a twist of lime and a vanilla bean is germane to the thread...IMNHO...

Not German, and not with soft drinks, but a few years ago in Scotland my uncle introduced me to "lager and lime," which was simply the pub's lager from the tap mixed with the sweetened lime juice used for mixing cocktails. (Maybe an ounce or so of the lime juice in a pint of lager.) He said he was introduced to the drink by a British Sergeant Major decades ago.

The result almost tasted like a soft drink. They certainly went down easily (how many? I plead the fifth). Apparently every barkeep in Scotland knew exactly what to do, but I got a "huh?" any time I tried ordering one State-side.

Razor
10-30-2009, 14:10
While I'm more of a weizen man myself, Tommyknocker's Maple Brown Nut (especially the Imperial version, at 9.8% ABV) goes down very easy and isn't too sweet despite the addition of maple syrup.

Sonic03svtCobra
10-30-2009, 15:46
I`ll just stick to my yuengling black and tan. but to answer the topic, yes I have drank it before. It`s a good mix on the warmer german days, when you want a light beer, but with the taste of your favorite beer. use to make it with "Licher" beer.

Mitch
10-30-2009, 16:12
The subject of the thread was Radlers...a concoction I first experienced near Bad Toelz and that concoction was beer mixed with lemon lime soft drinks...thus, vile though it may be, pomegranate and raspberry flavored beer with a twist of lime and a vanilla bean is germane to the thread...IMNHO...

Dass Stimmt, du hast recht!

But I tell you, if I had had a Raddler last Saturday night (instead of that puke suck Bud Light Lime) - made just the way I used to get them in Germany, I would have had no complaints.

Like I said - that was a good thirst quencher when you were hot and tired and thirsty - just swig it down and then order "ein halbe helles Bier" to enjoy - but you had to be there!

Dozer523
10-30-2009, 16:16
I`ll just stick to my yuengling black and tan. but to answer the topic, yes I have drank it before. It`s a good mix on the warmer german days, when you want a light beer, but with the taste of your favorite beer. use to make it with "Licher" beer.I WAS just thinkin' about the old Guinness on the top Harp on the bottom.:)

alfromcolorado
10-30-2009, 19:16

Okay, it strayed away from the thread in the right direction... :D:munchin

Then... <insert puking smiley...>

alfromcolorado
10-30-2009, 19:18
I WAS just thinkin' about the old Guinness on the top Harp on the bottom.:)

I just had two Guinness straight. Tasty.

11-05-2009, 00:05
I drank a cherry beer onetime when I was in Belgium. It came in a cute little bottle but it was too sweet. Now a Berliner which is a pilsner with just a small squirt if fruit juice in it isn't that bad, especially on a hot day when you're sitting alongside the Unter Den Linden. I enjoy my Kristallweizen with a slice of lemon also.

When I was on vacation I had a Czech beer called Bruno. I tried both the light and dark and I think it was flat one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Those Czechs might have something on the Germans. I've been told that when brewing beer it all begins with the water.

I just spent the weekend in Prague. I'm usually not a fan of Pils, but since a half liter of the stuff cost about $2 I decided to give it a shot. This was the only city in the world where the local Pils didn't give me the bitter beer face. I'm not sure its my favorite, but I am definately impressed with Czech Pils and hold it to be better than German.

Mitch
11-05-2009, 00:53
I just spent the weekend in Prague. I'm usually not a fan of Pils, but since a half liter of the stuff cost about $2 I decided to give it a shot. This was the only city in the world where the local Pils didn't give me the bitter beer face. I'm not sure its my favorite, but I am definately impressed with Czech Pils and hold it to be better than German.

You're a lucky guy - Id try all the beers you can while you're there - everything is not Pils. But all the same, you need to make your way over to Pilsen if you get the chance and drink from the source.

Stras
11-05-2009, 06:49
I just had two Guinness straight. Tasty.

Not as tasty as the two Reutbergs that I just had last night...:D:p

MVP
11-05-2009, 08:20
Had my father-in-law here in AZ for a month. Pretty discriminating bier drinker, took a real liking to Tecate...

Me, I'm still trying to sort out the difference between tequila and mescal.

MVP

greenberetTFS
11-05-2009, 15:40
I WAS just thinkin' about the old Guinness on the top Harp on the bottom.

Dozer,

If you ever do make it down here remember I'm on SS and it's been over 40 years since I've had a good stout of German beer,so unless your prepared to drink Keystone Light (30 cans for $13.97,brewed by Coors) you might want to bring some decent beer to get snockered(?) too..........:D:D:D

alfromcolorado
11-05-2009, 20:37
Czech Pils and hold it to be better than German.

Yes it is. Pilsener Urquell on tap is mighty nice over in Plzeň is REAL tasty.

I don't care for the Pils in Germany. Do like a LOT of their other stuff though.

Dozer523
11-05-2009, 21:37
Dozer,

If you ever do make it down here remember I'm on SS and it's been over 40 years since I've had a good stout of German beer,so unless your prepared to drink Keystone Light (30 cans for $13.97,brewed by Coors) you might want to bring some decent beer to get snockered(?) too..........:D:D:D

Teddy, there has to be a highest point in mississippi, and The Bright Center of My Universe and I are planning to loop through MO, AR, MS, LA over a long weekend. I'll drink your Keystone and raise you Schlitz 66. I'll try to find something Fur-inn too. Keep the light on.

ZonieDiver
11-06-2009, 01:19
Teddy, there has to be a highest point in Louisiana, and The Bright Center of My Universe and I are planning to loop through MO, AR, MS, LA over a long weekend. I'll drink your Keystone and raise you Schlitz 66. I'll try to find something Fur-inn too. Keep the light on.

Hell, I'm planning a trip that ends in the Keys at JJ's house! :D I'll bring the beer, someone give me a place to sleep! No Schiltz... my stepdad drank that, and if I smell it... I get a headache.

PS - Our "override" election failed and if I am lucky, I'll be on SS next year, too!

mike-munich
11-30-2009, 07:30
Yes it is. Pilsener Urquell on tap is mighty nice over in Plzeň is REAL tasty.

I don't care for the Pils in Germany. Do like a LOT of their other stuff though.

Speaking of which... When are you coming back down here brother ? I was driving by Flint Kaserne last night and was thinking about you and the 2 girls. :D Time to have some Augustiners at the Zur Flintkaserne Gasthaus. :cool:

I tried to mix Coors Light and 7-up when I was back in Texas in June. It wouldn't work... Next time I bring some German Helles and some Zitronenlimonade as part of my survival pack for the US of A. hehe

alfromcolorado
11-30-2009, 16:46
Speaking of which... When are you coming back down here brother ? I was driving by Flint Kaserne last night and was thinking about you and the 2 girls. :D Time to have some Augustiners at the Zur Flintkaserne Gasthaus. :cool:

I tried to mix Coors Light and 7-up when I was back in Texas in June. It wouldn't work... Next time I bring some German Helles and some Zitronenlimonade as part of my survival pack for the US of A. hehe

Coors Light and 7-Up? Have you lost your mind? :rolleyes:

I wish I could get over to Toelz again soon but now that I have taken work in the US of A it is much more difficult. And the little ladies don't want my ass in any of the better places to work, even if I got more time off there.

I am not a happy camper in rural coastal North Carolina.

alfromcolorado
11-30-2009, 16:48
Teddy, there has to be a highest point in mississippi, and The Bright Center of My Universe and I are planning to loop through MO, AR, MS, LA over a long weekend. I'll drink your Keystone and raise you Schlitz 66. I'll try to find something Fur-inn too. Keep the light on.

The only high point I can think of for Mississippi would be a pile of Horse crap after the barn was cleaned...

:munchin

mike-munich
12-01-2009, 03:03
Coors Light and 7-Up? Have you lost your mind? :rolleyes:

I wish I could get over to Toelz again soon but now that I have taken work in the US of A it is much more difficult. And the little ladies don't want my ass in any of the better places to work, even if I got more time off there.

I am not a happy camper in rural coastal North Carolina.

Hey, it was worth a try. I try everything once, twice if I like it. :cool: Actually I mix Augustiner Helles and Frucade Zitronenlimo if I want a Radler. PM me your address bro, I'll send some cans of Spezi to you.

Uh, work in the CONUS. Not good... Rural coastal NC. ? Far from Myrtle Beach SC. ? I remember the weekends down there when I was staying with friends in Fayetteville. :D

I'll be back in the US in late May next year, seeing my family in Texas and going to Vegas for a couple of days. Maybe you and the Ladies want to come to Vegas ?

csquare
12-01-2009, 14:57

I lived and worked in Prague for 9 months, back in '94. The best beer I drank was Velky Popovice Cerny (dark). Went to the brewery's anniversary celebration one Saturday. Was buying liter cups for less than .10 a piece. Glad I took the train there and back!

czechsix
12-01-2009, 17:02
I lived and worked in Prague for 9 months, back in '94. The best beer I drank was Velky Popovice Cerny (dark). Went to the brewery's anniversary celebration one Saturday. Was buying liter cups for less than .10 a piece. Glad I took the train there and back!

Haha I'm hoping more people discover the beer in Eastern Europe is the best. I had a Rattler for the first time doing some mil-mil training with the slovakians over this past summer. They are really good actually. If you ever get the chance though, they sell a beer in slovakia (exclusively) called Šariš (pronounced Shar-eesh). The dark kind (tmavé) is the best beer I've ever tasted.

alfromcolorado
12-03-2009, 20:53
Hey, it was worth a try. I try everything once, twice if I like it. :cool: Actually I mix Augustiner Helles and Frucade Zitronenlimo if I want a Radler. PM me your address bro, I'll send some cans of Spezi to you.

Uh, work in the CONUS. Not good... Rural coastal NC. ? Far from Myrtle Beach SC. ? I remember the weekends down there when I was staying with friends in Fayetteville. :D

I'll be back in the US in late May next year, seeing my family in Texas and going to Vegas for a couple of days. Maybe you and the Ladies want to come to Vegas ?

Possible but no promises. I am on my way to the Tampa Bay area on 16 DEC.

mojaveman
12-03-2009, 21:11
Haha I'm hoping more people discover the beer in Eastern Europe is the best. I had a Rattler for the first time doing some mil-mil training with the slovakians over this past summer. They are really good actually. If you ever get the chance though, they sell a beer in slovakia (exclusively) called Šariš (pronounced Shar-eesh). The dark kind (tmavé) is the best beer I've ever tasted.

Can't remember which one but one of the breweries in Germany cans the Radler concoction. True, their not bad on a hot summer day when you don't want to drink a lot. For an evening of serious beer drinking though I'll go with a bock, lager, pills, or weizen.

Eins, zwei, trink!

mike-munich
12-04-2009, 02:42
Al, affirmative. Keep me posted. I just put in for leave from 22 MAY to 09 JUNE. We are going to be in the Vegas area from 03 or 04 JUNE on.

Can't remember which one but one of the breweries in Germany cans the Radler concoction.

They are many canning Radler now. Some have bottles, it just tastes better.

A friend from Austria pointed me towards this website. German, and other European, beers available in the US. They even have Ayinger... The Urweisse is one of my favorite Weissbiers.

http://beergeek.stores.yahoo.net/germanbeer.html