PDA

View Full Version : USAF Sniper

FMF DOC
03-04-2009, 15:20
Did a search and didn't not find this, not sure it's true, was sent to me through the VA (Veterans Administration. Interesting.. Sorry if I didn't upload the picture correctly... If not I will once I get on my personal PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are a Nation of many Nationalities, many races, many religions bound together by a single unity, the unity of freedom and equality. Whoever seeks to set one nationality against another, seeks to degrade all nationalities." Frankin Delano Roosevelt

A story with a happy ending!
This nineteen-year-old ex-cheerleader (now an Air Force Security Forces Sniper) was watching a road that led to a NATO military base when she observed a man digging by the road. She engaged the target (i.e., she shot him). Turned out he was a bomb maker for the Taliban and he was burying an IED that was to be detonated when a US patrol walked by 30 minutes later. It would have certainly killed and wounded several soldiers.

The interesting fact of this story is the shot was measured at 725 yards. She shot him as he was bent over burying the bomb. The shot went through his butt and into the bomb which detonated; he was blown to pieces. The Air Force made a motivational poster of her:

(Folks, that's a shot 25 yards longer than seven football fields.)

The Reaper
03-04-2009, 15:46
What is the point here?

TR

Tuukka
03-04-2009, 16:45
It is usually a pretty good idea to check into the background of "cool" circulating e-mails.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/cheerleader.asp

Red Flag 1
03-04-2009, 17:41
What is the point here?

TR

Not sure TR.

Having spent some time with USAF IG, I did note that there were "snipers" among the Security Police (SP) Forces. What training they had, I have no idea. I did see some deploy around contained areas. My thought at the time was that they were sharpshooters. If they were snipers, I doubt I would have seen them.

My $.02.

Perhaps Angels 6 can elaborate.

BTW, snoops is not always right.

RF 1

LR27
03-04-2009, 18:03
Not sure TR.

Having spent some time with USAF IG, I did note that there were "snipers" among the Security Police (SP) Forces. What training they had, I have no idea.

RF 1
The AF has their 'Sniper' School at Camp Robinson, AK, right next to the Army NG Sniper School. Their curriculum and regimen is similar, but not quite as intense or expansive as the Army. This intel is of 2006, could be different now.

Pete
03-04-2009, 18:57
......Camp Robinson, AK, right next to the Army NG Sniper School. ........

I know of more than one A Team that got shot at while in the field at Camp Robinson. Teams would get sent there during their JRTC rotation.

The Team would be all hunkered down for the night, or sometimes on the move when John Boy and Billy Bob would come driving up in their 4x4 whip out their rifles and start blasting into the woods.

Why does it seem like they have better aim when they don't know you're there :D or maybe snips & cracks just sounds louder on a quiet night :D

FMF DOC
03-04-2009, 19:46
What is the point here?

TR

Sorry, I guess my point is I figured someone here would know if this was real or not. I would think training a female to be a Sniper would be like putting a female on a front line fire team. Which just doesn't happen.

Thanks Tuukka for finding the link to the full story, I was at work and unable to do so. Sorry if I wasted time on here.

Sinister
03-04-2009, 20:02
The Air Force has the Close Precision Engagement Course they give at the National Guard Marksmanship Training Center at Camp Joseph T. Robinson, North Little Rock, Arkansas.

They are not snipers. Their Air Force Specialty Code is technically an Air Force policeman.

They are issued the M24 (and occasionally the M14) to provide Air Base Ground Defense and flight line security (consider the wide, open expanses on an airfield and around runways. With Movement-on-the-Ground restrictions on ramps and with very expensive aircraft not necessarily protected in revetments you don't want to have guys shooting buttloads of 7.62 or 5.56 linked, or 50 cal and Mark 19 around airplanes).

On an airbase they don't have the requirement to be ghillied-up when movement may have to be in an up-armored Humvee or V-150.

PSM
03-04-2009, 20:25
I was wondering how they knew he was hit in the butt when he was "blown to pieces".

I imagined a guy picking up a piece and saying, "Here's his butt" and his buddy saying, "How do you know that?" "Because it's got a hole, dumb ass!":D

Pat

longrange1947
03-04-2009, 21:46
In 1987, SOTIC trained a number of Air Force personnel, including females, in long range marksmanship for perimeter defense. The course lasted 2 weeks and included only shooting, wind calls, and judging distance. Yes, I have photos of personnel lying down and shooting. :munchin

The story is not true and SNOPES is correct.

It is really hard to shoot with your non-dominant eye looking at the camera. :D

Peregrino
03-04-2009, 22:07
What I want to know - whose bright idea was it to teach a woman long range marksmanship? :confused: Don't they know how dangerous that is? How many of you guys would trust an ex-wife with a gun? Women are vindictive, giving them another way to inflict pain is downright not (expletive deleted) smart!

P.S. - 1/4 carat and lip gloss isn't worth commenting on, after all it is the Air Force. :p

longrange1947
03-04-2009, 23:38
You do know who have been the long range champions off and on for years right? :munchin :D

frostfire
03-05-2009, 00:19
You do know who have been the long range champions off and on for years right? :munchin :D

Rick,

with all due respect, to quote NDD

Women shoot better than men, who gives a shit? That tells me something, but I don't know what. :D

Were you referring to Michelle Gallagher and/or Nancy Tomkins?
I did get my arse handed to me by the women when I shot international rifle and pistol.

Respectfully,

FF

JJ_BPK
03-05-2009, 05:00
Is this the AF snipper your're talking about?? :confused::eek:

I understand she has a 100% kill rate,, but tends to waste ammo?? :D:rolleyes:

longrange1947
03-05-2009, 06:17
Frostfire - I think they are better shots because they are single minded when it comes to that type of activity. :D

Vindictive yes, but can't live without them.

JJ - Different female. That one has a pisser of a beating zone.

DbeforeD
03-05-2009, 06:58
On an airbase they don't have the requirement to be ghillied-up when movement may have to be in an up-armored Humvee or V-150.

Yeeeah... try a blue ford 6 pax pickup. Hell, these things aren't even 4WD. But they do a AM/FM radios!!:D well, sometimes....

Sgt. V

Red Flag 1
03-05-2009, 07:55
Sorry, I guess my point is I figured someone here would know if this was real or not. I would think training a female to be a Sniper would be like putting a female on a front line fire team. Which just doesn't happen.

Thanks Tuukka for finding the link to the full story, I was at work and unable to do so. Sorry if I wasted time on here.

One of the top Russian snipers in WW II was a female sniper. Her name escapes me at the moment.

longrange 1947, thanks for the spelling correction!:D

RF 1

frostfire
03-05-2009, 11:45
Is the the AF snipper your're talking about??

I understand she has a 100% kill rate,, but tends to waste ammo??

Not THAT is long range marksmanship, 1000 shots, 1 kill though :D

Thanks for posting, JJ_BPK. Looks like the lady of my dreams, the real miss America:cool:

AngelsSix
03-05-2009, 18:29
You guys worry about this garbage way too much, IMHO. Certain females get into programs and all of a sudden they are media darlings "look at out combat females". Whatever. I deployed with a young lady from the 820th out of Moody. She was a counter-sniper trained individual, although I do not believe she spent a day doing much of anything the whole time we were in Iraq. Every time I got off duty and went to the trailer to catch some sleep she was there. When I left to go back on duty she was still there.

There are no snipers in the AF, they are trained as Counter-snipers, to engage only after a sniper has engaged first.

AngelsSix
03-05-2009, 18:33
One of the top Russian snipers in WW II was a female sniper. Her name escapes me at the moment.

longrange 1947, thanks for the spelling correction!:D

RF 1

Lidiya Gudovantseva, she was a badass. Is was said that she killed over 70 Germans. I believe she was featured in the movie Enemy at the Gates.

Red Flag 1
03-05-2009, 18:59
Lidiya Gudovantseva, she was a badass. Is was said that she killed over 70 Germans. I believe she was featured in the movie Enemy at the Gates.

The book was outstanding! If I recall correctly from the book, Lidiya was to be married to another Russian sniper before he was killed. I never did see the movie.

I've kind of viewed this thread as about USAF "snipers", more so than a female sniper issue. I think the gender issue came up after what was likely a recuting photo, ear studs and make up kinda gave that away.:D

Be well A6!!!

RF 1

longrange1947
03-05-2009, 21:13
A6 - Had to re-read the thread to see where I had "corrected" your spelling. Did not even notice you had spelled it wrong. I was trying to emphasis that Snopes had confirmed that it was BS. Must watch how I emphasis. :D

Hell, I am the last one to correct anything grammatically. :o

Red Flag 1
03-06-2009, 06:53
A6 - Had to re-read the thread to see where I had "corrected" your spelling. Did not even notice you had spelled it wrong. I was trying to emphasis that Snopes had confirmed that it was BS. Must watch how I emphasis. :D

Hell, I am the last one to correct anything grammatically. :o

It was me.

If I recall correctly, we both had undergrad problems in English!!!:D

Be well!!

RF 1

AngelsSix
03-06-2009, 16:49
I use the spell check constantly, mostly because I can spell fine, I just can't type worth a damn!!!:D