PDA

View Full Version : Bradbury: Moore needs to change title

Roguish Lawyer
06-21-2004, 12:20
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/21/bradbury.fahrenheit.ap/index.html

Bradbury: Change 'Fahrenheit' title
Author wants apology from Moore, movie renamed
Monday, June 21, 2004 Posted: 8:50 AM EDT (1250 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Ray Bradbury is demanding an apology from filmmaker Michael Moore for lifting the title from his classic science-fiction novel "Fahrenheit 451" without permission and wants the new documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" to be renamed.

"He didn't ask my permission," Bradbury, 83, told The Associated Press on Friday. "That's not his novel, that's not his title, so he shouldn't have done it."

The 1953 novel, widely considered Bradbury's masterpiece, portrays an ugly futuristic society in which firemen burn homes and libraries in order to destroy the books inside and keep people from thinking independently.

"Fahrenheit 451" takes its title from the temperature at which books burn. Moore has called "Fahrenheit 9/11" the "temperature at which freedom burns."

His film, which won top honors in May at the Cannes Film Festival, charges that the Bush administration acted ineptly before the September 11 terrorist attacks, then played on the public's fear of future terrorism to gain support for the war against Iraq. It opens nationwide Friday.

Bradbury, who hadn't seen the movie, said he called Moore's company six months ago to protest and was promised Moore would call back.

He finally got that call last Saturday, Bradbury said, adding Moore told him he was "embarrassed."

"He suddenly realized he's let too much time go by," the author said by phone from his home in Los Angeles' Cheviot Hills section.

Joanne Doroshow, a spokeswoman for "Fahrenheit 9/11," said the film's makers have "the utmost respect for Ray Bradbury."

"Mr. Bradbury's work has been an inspiration to all of us involved in this film, but when you watch this film you will see the fact that the title reflects the facts that the movie explores, the very real life events before, around and after 9-11," she said.

Bradbury, who is a registered political independent, said he would rather avoid litigation and is "hoping to settle this as two gentlemen, if he'll shake hands with me and give me back my book and title."

Moore's film needed new distributors after Disney refused to let its Miramax subsidiary release it, claiming it was too politically charged. The documentary was later bought by Miramax bosses Harvey and Bob Weinstein, who lined up Lions Gate and IFC Films to help distribute it.

The movie's distributors are appealing to lower its R rating to PG-13 and a screening has been set for Tuesday by the Motion Picture Association of America's appeals board.

Bradbury's book was made into a 1966 movie directed by Francois Truffaut. A new edition of the book is scheduled for release in eight weeks, Bradbury said, and plans are in the works for a new film version, to be directed by Frank Darabont.

Razor
06-21-2004, 13:16
Law-suit, law-suit, law-suit... :D

ThinAir
06-21-2004, 14:21
What's the tempurature at which all the political propaghanda BS coming out of Michael Moore's mouth burns? He can name the movie "Celcius X [temperature]".

Solid
06-21-2004, 15:13
What's the tempurature at which all the political propaganda BS coming out of Michael Moore's mouth burns?
I reckon its probably the temperature at which the army burns sh*t... Given his knowledge of sh*t-stirring, maybe the Army can offer him a job: 'professional sh*t stirrer', a title soon replaced by 'moving target' when he inevitably starts to whine about how his sh*t stinks.

Fortunately, the marksmanship standards in the military can fall as low as they please- even those privates who couldn't hit the backside of the barn can hit Michael Moore's backside.

Maybe he's just pissed that McDonalds got one over on him when he was young?

/rant

Solid

Sacamuelas
06-21-2004, 15:29
now, now Solid... such strong words. If you dislike him so much, then follow your sentiments with action and DON'T support this whack job with your $$$.
Originally posted by Solid
I'd quite like to see the movie, just for the experience.

I really want to see this film.

If any of you guys are interested (for academic reasons), the trailer is available here

Solid

Academic reasons my A$$.. You are a closet LIB, young NDD protégé. :munchin LOL

Solid
06-21-2004, 16:13
Ah Sacamuelas, in your jibes you have unknowingly revealed that you are in fact a closet Michael Moore!

Look at how you have removed my words from their context, inserted them into an environment to contrast against other words and thereby undermine them, and then package it all in a presentation on the Fallacies Of Solid!

:D

Solid

Radar Rider
06-22-2004, 00:23
Ray Bradbury has definitely got the right of way in this case. He asked Michael Moore's company, six months ago, to change the name. They refused, hoping it would all just go away. Well, apparently, Mr. Bradbury is more than a little upset. I hope that Bradbury sues his ass off.

colt1911fan
06-22-2004, 01:05
Originally posted by Radar Rider
I hope that Bradbury sues his ass off.

That could effect the orbit of this planet.

Radar Rider
06-22-2004, 02:25
Originally posted by colt1911fan
That could effect the orbit of this planet. Good one! :D

VMI_Marine
06-22-2004, 05:42
http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/?GT1=3584

Good article on MSN.com blasting Moore's movie. He even quotes Orwell:

The majority of pacifists either belong to obscure religious sects or are simply humanitarians who object to taking life and prefer not to follow their thoughts beyond that point. But there is a minority of intellectual pacifists, whose real though unacknowledged motive appears to be hatred of western democracy and admiration for totalitarianism. Pacifist propaganda usually boils down to saying that one side is as bad as the other, but if one looks closely at the writing of the younger intellectual pacifists, one finds that they do not by any means express impartial disapproval but are directed almost entirely against Britain and the United States …

That's from May 1945. Amazing how some things don't change.

Matchanu
06-22-2004, 07:47
Not sure if Bradbury has a case here. The tital is changed at least 30%, as I understand it, that makes it legal.

I'm not a lawer but I used to know a lot of people in the commercial and marketing buisness. That's why you'll see a lot of t-shirts or hats that look very simular to other commercial designs with a slight change.

Roguish Lawyer
06-22-2004, 11:07
Originally posted by Matchanu
Not sure if Bradbury has a case here. The tital is changed at least 30%, as I understand it, that makes it legal.

I'm not a lawer but I used to know a lot of people in the commercial and marketing buisness. That's why you'll see a lot of t-shirts or hats that look very simular to other commercial designs with a slight change.

That will be the defense. It will be an interesting case if it gets filed.

Gypsy
06-22-2004, 11:55
Originally posted by colt1911fan
That could effect the orbit of this planet.

This is going on my 'quote of the week' list.

Hysterical!

Edit to add: VMI_Marine...good to see you here, and welcome home.