PDA

View Full Version : Wireless security help

Eagle5US
02-24-2009, 23:28
Can anyone tell a 3rd grader how to set up his wireless network for security on a Mac machine?
I would be the third grader by the way. This means no big words or technical terms please. :lifter

Eagle

Sweetbriar
02-25-2009, 05:38
As I recall when I set up mine, the security part lies in the way you set up the modem, not in the Mac. I have a Linksys, and walking thru the various help screens they provide. This is the critical one:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=15841

You have to be connected by ethernet (wire connection to your cable modem) to set it up, then you are wireless after that. I have my desktop wired in (it has no wireless card anyway), but you could connect your laptop by ethernet just for the setup, then unhook it after you are done.

Oh, and name your system something other than "local cable company name here" or "Hot Studmuffin"! You'll just look goofy to all your neighbors!

SF_BHT
02-25-2009, 07:43
Can anyone tell a 3rd grader how to set up his wireless network for security on a Mac machine?
I would be the third grader by the way. This means no big words or technical terms please. :lifter

Eagle

Give us the make and model of your wireless router. That is where you set it up. I have ref on most models.

The Mac side is only adding the encryption that matches your router when it finds the router.

Eagle5US
02-25-2009, 08:28
Give us the make and model of your wireless router. That is where you set it up. I have ref on most models.

The Mac side is only adding the encryption that matches your router when it finds the router.
US Robotics 8054

Thx - :munchin

Eagle

SF_BHT
02-25-2009, 08:53
I have a PDF with the instructions ....
PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you as it is slightly over the attachment size for the board.

Go to the security section and follow the instructions. If you have a problem let me know.:munchin