PDA

View Full Version : NEVER w/o a Tourniquet Again!

DeMo180a
02-24-2009, 22:16
Guys,
Blackheart International just came out with it's patent pending Integrated Tourniquet Belt (ITB). I've seen lots of systems, but the thing I like about this one is that 99.9% of the time it's holding your pants up. The other .01% is when it needs to be used as a tourniquet; which we all hope is never needed but needs to be considered. Regardless of the injury your belt is always within arms reach and hasn't been blown off or out of reach. It can be used over and over again for training; which costs nothing and makes the individual soldier more proficient with the ITB.

Its been tested on live tissue and found to be effective as a tourniquet. This isn't meant to replace what is already being carried, but meant as a back-up tourniquest hidden inside your belt. So take off those A7A belts and put something around your waist that could save your life!

The ITB was developed and manufactured by an 18 series guy who saw the need for this product based on his own experiences; especially useful for HNF and using para-military funds to purchase.

Blackheart is a SF owned company based in WV, with guys that work for the company still rotating in and out of country.

I encourage guys to check out the site, and welcome your questions and comments! http://www.bhigear.com/integratedtourniquetbelt.aspx

DeMo

Richard
02-24-2009, 22:56
That's what a web belt (besides holding up your pants or for defensive protection) or an A7A strap used as a belt were for...and don't forget your boot laces or a cravat. All that 550 cord wrapped around the handle of your knife works well, too. ;)

Richard's FOG $.02 :munchin

Soft Target
02-25-2009, 08:00
What about the old "do-rag" (aka Triangular Bandage) with a stick? Is that the same as a cravat?

doctom54
02-25-2009, 08:21
What about the old "do-rag" (aka Triangular Bandage) with a stick? Is that the same as a cravat?

Yes, and it is effective IF done correctly.

Razor
02-25-2009, 10:00
It seems the benefit of the belt is that the "stick" is already attached and ready to go.

rcm_18d
02-27-2009, 05:59
It looks like it might work well. How bout going through security at airports?

There are numerous tourniquets on the markets, that work well. The number the smart guys have come up with, for pressure, is 380mm Hg, which must be achieved to occlude a femoral vessel. The optimum width of a tourniquet is 2 to 3 inches and my big “pet peeve” requirement, is a windless device (i.e. stick or this metal bar). Some have mentioned a cravat. This will be effective but it takes much more time and skill because the securing of the device is tricky. With all these high speed tourniquets the operator has the time advantage and muscle memory if trained correctly. We are also teaching as high as possible. Ease of use and no thought needed as to 2-3 inches. If the patient gets to a treatment facility in 4 hours all is good and some have gone 6 hours with a tourniquet on without limb loss. If the wait time is longer the medic might consider converting it to a pressure dressing. Maybe the patient will experience some nerve palsy, but that will, most of the time, go away after time. Plus if they loose their leg, I got a buddy that can drink beer out of it, and I have seen get laid because of it. Ross Perot funded a lot of the prosthetic research and development that has gotten us to where we are today. No disrespect intended by this at all but 2500 soldiers died in Viet Nam from exanguanation of an extremity with no other wounds. Bottom line these, guys would have been saved by a proper tourniquet. My father spent a lot of time in Viet Nam. Some of the old 12th group guys might remember my old man (TM Ldr on 235). Times were different.

All of this is good but basics saves lives. The civilian EMS world is just now getting on line with the tourniquets first.

TrooperT
02-28-2009, 11:48
All of this is good but basics saves lives. The civilian EMS world is just now getting on line with the tourniquets first.

I don't know that civilian EMS will ever be completely on board with the widespread use of tourniquets. In the urban settings, a hospital is usually minutes away as opposed to awaiting medevac from a battlefield then an extended transport time to an aid station.

There is a price that is paid when using a tourniquet in terms of tissue damage, both muscular and neurovascular and it is dependent on the ischemic time of the limb involved. Even though the patient may ultimately lose the extremity, you have to keep in mind the rehabilitative potential and prosthetics. If I had to chose, a below the knee amputation is preferable to above because it spares the joint. It helps to salvage as much distally as possible. If the injury is complete amputation, you don't have a lot of choice where stopping the hemorrhage is concerned. For less, though, the basics, e.g. direct pressure and the use of hemostatic agents are the answer.

My opinion..

Surgicalcric
02-28-2009, 14:20
I don't know that civilian EMS will ever be completely on board with the widespread use of tourniquets...

That may be true however the National Registry has added them to the curriculum and the practical exam as well... Finally!!

TrooperT
02-28-2009, 18:17
That may be true however the National Registry has added them to the curriculum and the practical exam as well... Finally!!

It can be added and tested by the national registry folks but ultimately, it's the medical directors out there that make the call as to whether or not they are part of a service's protocols. My flight program does not include tourniquet use in any of our trauma protocols. That doesn't mean that I haven't placed a BP cuff on an arm or leg and pumped it up enough to stop heavy bleeding over the years. I just had to be sure I had clear indication for doing it and could articulate my rationale to the trauma surgeons and medical director.

Torres
McMurray, PA

Surgicalcric
02-28-2009, 18:42
I was a paramedic before enlisting so I am very aware of the difference in what NR teaches and that which ones given state and/or medical control approves for use. That being said, NR adding TQ usage is a step in the right direction and a large step at that.

I too have used other means of controlling hemorrhage in patients in the bus and in flight to the ED without regard to whats "approved." As well, most of the medics/flight medics I know will do what they believe to be the "appropriate" common sense treatment for an injury even though it may be in direct defiance of MC.

Crip

TAN2GREEN
03-01-2009, 09:33
Quick question,
has anyone heard of a company that makes the uniforms with the tourniquets already sewn in the uniforms?

NousDefionsDoc
03-01-2009, 09:38
Blackhawk makes those pants.

There is also a rifle sling floating around that is supposed to be a TQ. I haven't seen it yet.

TAN2GREEN
03-01-2009, 10:07
I appreciate it. I going to take a gander. Sounds like a good idea.
:lifter

TrooperT
03-01-2009, 10:46
Quick question,
has anyone heard of a company that makes the uniforms with the tourniquets already sewn in the uniforms?

At the risk of spamming the forum, Blackhawk makes them.. There may be others out there, also.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/ITS-Apparel,187.htm

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Blackhawk, just answering a question.

crashedtheqc
07-26-2009, 12:28
Quick question,

I was recently issued a Blackhawk uniform with built in tourniquets and have worn it in the field on a number of occasions. The tourniquets do work, although they seem a bit flimsy, kindof like the CAT tourniquets vs the SOF tourniquets. They also take up a fair amount of pocket real estate which can be annoying. The one big drawback from my perspective is that the tourniquets aren't placed far enough up (proximally) the arm/leg and the tourniquets will slide down more easily than a stand alone tourniquet. On the upside, I found the uniform to be cooler and easier to maneuver in than the similar ACU standard issue uniform. End result: I cut the tourniquets out and it's in my rotation of field uniforms. Hope this helps somebody.

swatsurgeon
07-28-2009, 17:19
First, I have no financial or other interest in Blackhawk...
Our tac-med school came up with the concept and one of our instructors got a patent for it and sold the concept to BH, who leased it to I think propper and another 1-2 companies to produce now,
Anyway, the concept was that it takes less time to deploy the TQ if it is within the garment rather than taking it out of a pocket and getting it around the leg/arm...sometimes having to remove gear to do it.
It certainly isn't flimsy, we beat the day-lights out of it and it held and stopped bloodflow.
I don't like that it is in a fixed position, high or low.

Why in the world would you cut out a redundant safety system that could potentially save your life? Like it or not, just ignore it, why remove it, it is not in the way.

ss

crashedtheqc
08-17-2009, 13:29
I removed the tourniquets for comfort and to make room for all of the other stuff I consider necessities: GPS, notebook + pen, headlamp, cheat sheets for CAS/CASEVAC/BR #'s/commo PACE, and, of course, dip. It's a technique. It may not be the preferred technique, but it's a technique.

I feel comfortable doing this because I always carry two tourniquets on me, whether in the FOB or out of it. These have the added benefit of being able to be used on someone other than myself.

DDD
08-17-2009, 18:04
Looks like a good concept......But it's only good for self application 'cause if I (or 99.9% of the world) roll up on you, I'm NOT[U][B] going to search for your HSLD TQBelt that I have never seen or used before. If your buddies all know it's there and how to use it....OK, I guess. Practicing with what you will carry is key, but using a TQ that has been practiced with is a BAD idea. We reuse TQ for training and they ALL get jacked up.
Of course this is only my opinion and as such holds only as much weight as you care to give it.
DDD