PDA

View Full Version : A Global Compass?

Longstreet
02-23-2009, 12:16
I have been looking for a compass so that I can hone my orientation skills. After reading the fiasco about the Silvas on another PS thread, I have decided to give Suunto a chance. They offer a life time warranty and the store where I would buy it will make any returns a breeze - if need be. I am somewhat familiar with Suunto as my dive compass is made by them and to date I have had no problems with it.

The Suunto compass I am interested in is the Suunto MC-2G. It can be seen at the following link:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2696143&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619485

What has confused me is that it offers two geographical balancing zones so the compass can be used anywhere in the world. Has anyone heard of this before? I have always been under the impression that all compasses can be used anywhere in the world. Am I missing something or is this just a sales gimmic? And with that said, the 'original' Silva Ranger (which came highly recommended by several QP's) is it usable throughut the world or limited to a certain area? Please help. Thanks.

Blitzzz (RIP)
02-23-2009, 14:59
I personally don't believe "any where" in the world, but most places, until you get around the poles. I've used them all one time or another, land and sea. Silva, Suunto, Brunto. and mostly a wrist compas I don't know who made. You just need to be aware of the declination of the part of the earth you are on ref a Map. Magnetic North is Magnetic North. Blitzzz

Pete
02-23-2009, 15:35
RALS:D

Soft Target
02-23-2009, 16:00
I had a close, intimate relationship with a street of that name at Bragg. I would imagine many on this site did as well. Back to my hole.

JJ_BPK
02-23-2009, 16:08
What has confused me is that it offers two geographical balancing zones so the compass can be used anywhere in the world. Has anyone heard of this before? I have always been under the impression that all compasses can be used anywhere in the world. Am I missing something or is this just a sales gimmic? And with that said, the 'original' Silva Ranger (which came highly recommended by several QP's) is it usable throughout the world or limited to a certain area? Please help. Thanks.

Here is a quick explaination:

www.williams.edu/Biology/Faculty_Staff/hwilliams/Orienteering/compass.html

Assuming that the compass is held flat, the red end points to north, and the white end to south.

An interesting detail is that there are northern- and southern-hemisphere compasses.

This has to do with the fact that the magnetic field lines, to which a compass needle aligns, point into the earth at the north and south magnetic poles.

In the northern hemisphere the north end of the needle is pulled downwards, and the south end is counterweighted to balance the needle.

When you use a northern hemisphere compass in, say, Australia, the south end of the magnet is pulled downwards by the magnetic field, and is also heavier than the north end - resulting in a needle that catches and drags on the bottom of the compass housing when the compass is held horizontal.

Richard
02-23-2009, 18:17
My issued lensatic and wrist compasses worked fine for me all over the world--including Australia and New Zealand. I never got lost--but I did get a bit confused at times. :rolleyes: Just make sure the needle is floating free when you use your compass. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

SF_BHT
02-23-2009, 18:48
I am with Richard as long as your compass is a good one you can use any one anywhere in the world. Know your map skills and you can navigate anywhere. Sometimes you will take the long way to the destination but that is for security reasons.:p:D

longrange1947
02-23-2009, 20:43
And the mirror is there so you can see exactly who got you powerful misoriented. :munchin :D