PDA

View Full Version : Master Sgt. David L. Hurt

Team Sergeant
02-22-2009, 15:59
U.S. Army Special Forces Command Public Affairs Office
FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Feb. 22, 2009) — Two Army Special Forces Soldiers were killed Feb. 20 while conducting combat operations in the vicinity of Khordi, Oruzgan province, Afghanistan.

Staff Sgt. Jeremy E. Bessa, 26 and Master Sgt. David L. Hurt, 36, were killed when their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device while conducting a mounted combat reconnaissance patrol. Bessa died at the scene while Hurt succumbed to his wounds after being medically evacuated to Kandahar Airfield for treatment.

Both Soldiers are assigned to Company B, 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), here. Hurt was a Special Forces operations sergeant and Bessa was a Special Forces communications sergeant.

Staff Sgt. Jeremy E. Bessa
Hurt, a native of Oak Park, Ill., is survived by his wife Kelly, daughter Avery and son Wyatt, all of Grays Creek, N.C.; mother Bonnie Hurt of Hope Mills, N.C. and father Joe Hurt of Memphis, Tenn.

Bessa, a native of Honolulu, Hawaii, is survived by his wife Lindsey and their son Carson, both of Fayetteville, N.C.; parents Ted and Julie Bessa of Whispering Pines, N.C.and brother Christopher L. Bessa, Fort Carson, Colo.

For further information, media should contact the Special Forces Command Public Affairs Office during duty hours at 910-432-4587 or after duty hours at 910-689-6187.

Master Sgt. David L. Hurt, 36, died of wounds sustained from an improvised explosive device during a mounted combat reconnaissance patrol. He was a Special Forces Operational Detachment-Alpha operations sergeant assigned to Company B, 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne).
He deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in January 2009 as a member of the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force – Afghanistan. This was his fifth deployment in support of the Global War on Terror.

Hurt, a native of Oak Park, Ill., volunteered for military service and entered the Army in November 1992, as a Combat Engineer trainee. After basic and advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., he was assigned to Co. C, 307th Engineer Bn., 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, N.C. from the rank of private to Staff Sgt. He then was assigned to Co. C, 37th Engineer Bn., 20th Engineer Brigade at Fort Bragg.

Hurt completed the Special Forces Assessment and Selection prior to being assigned to the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School at Fort Bragg, N.C., in August 1999 for Special Forces training. He earned the coveted “Green Beret” in May 2000 and was assigned to 2nd Bn., 3rd SFG(A) at Fort Bragg, N.C., as a Special Forces engineer sergeant. Hurt was then assigned to the USAJFKSWCS Non-Commissioned Officer Academy. He served as a Small Group Leader at the Basic Noncommissioned Officer and Warrior Leader Course from March 2005 to March 2008. Hurt returned to the 3rd Special Forces Group and was assigned to Co. B, 1st Bn., as an operations sergeant in March 2008.

Hurt’s military education includes the Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape Course, Sniper Course, Basic Airborne Course, Air Assault Course, Pathfinder Course, Ranger Course, Jumpmaster Course, Sapper Leader Course, Combat Life Savers Course, Special Forces Advanced Recon and Target Exploitation Course, Advanced Noncommissioned Officer Course, Basic Noncommissioned Officer Course, Warrior Leaders Course, and Special Forces Qualification Course.

Some of his awards and decorations include the Bronze Star with two Oak Leaf Clusters, Meritorious Service Medal with one OLC, the Joint Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal with a three OLC, Joint Achievement Medal, and Army Achievement Medal with four OLC, the Combat Infantry Badge, Special Forces Tab, Ranger Tab, Sapper Tab, Master Parachutist Badge, Senior Parachutist Badge, Pathfinder Badge, Air Assault Badge, Drivers Badge, the Valorous Unit Award, Joint Meritorious Unit Award.

Hurt is survived by his wife Kelly, daughter Avery and son Wyatt, all of Grays Creek, N.C.; mother Bonnie Hurt of Hope Mills, N.C. and father Joe Hurt of Memphis, Tenn.
- DE OPPRESSO LIBER –

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20Archive/2009/February/090222-01.html

Saoirse
02-22-2009, 16:03
Rest in Peace, Brave Warrior. Thank you for your service. :(

MeC86
02-22-2009, 16:08
Sad news. RIP Soldiers. Thank you for your service

mcarey
02-22-2009, 16:16
All my prayers and best wishes to the families and teammates of these fine men. May they find some peace and acceptance that their fallen soldiers service and sacrifice is cherished by all here.

azmg
02-22-2009, 16:16
RIP and thoughts out to the families

It appears MSGT Hurt had ties to the local community, found this short piece.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/local/110701.php

Rogue
02-22-2009, 16:20
Rest in Peace

HQ6
02-22-2009, 16:24
It is a sad time. My prayers are with his family and especially with his team mates. It was said again and again yesterday ... I just can't believe it.

JJ_BPK
02-22-2009, 16:50
Vaya con Dios..

Penn
02-22-2009, 17:14
Rest in Peace may God Bless you and your family.

blue02hd
02-22-2009, 17:20
RIP brother

Abu Jack
02-22-2009, 17:20
Rest In Peace

longrange1947
02-22-2009, 18:27
Rest in Peace Gentlemen.

Goggles Pizano
02-22-2009, 20:09
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, Amen.
In pace requiescat MSG Hurt. God bless you, and thank you for your service.

SF_BHT
02-22-2009, 20:14
Rest in Peace Brother...

You will be missed by all.

The Reaper
02-22-2009, 21:04
RIP, hermano.

Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice.

TR

Gypsy
02-22-2009, 21:32
Rest in Peace Warriors...my thoughts and prayers are with your families and Brothers.

jbour13
02-23-2009, 03:50
Gonna miss ya big guy....RIP Dave

Prester John
02-23-2009, 05:32
Dave was my TAC at WLC, and a close friend. He sold me my house. I must say he was an exceptional man in every way. I will miss him very much.

I went through a lot of the course with one of the Bessa clan. What a terrible loss.

Fair winds and following seas, I look forward to when we meet again.

Kingfisher
02-23-2009, 06:29
RIP

echoes
02-23-2009, 06:48
May you brave warriors Rest In Peace.

Your service and sacrifice will never be forgotten.

Holly

dennisw
02-23-2009, 07:15
RIP Master Sgt. Hurt.

Red Flag 1
02-23-2009, 07:21
Rest In Peace MSGT Hurt.

Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice.

Surgicalcric
02-23-2009, 07:49
Blue Skies MSG Hurt. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Crip

Enigma0122
02-23-2009, 08:04
Rest in Peace Warrior, Gods blessings and thanks for your service and sacrifice. Prayers out to family and friends.

Mrs_W
02-23-2009, 08:07
Rest in Peace, MSG Hurt.

FMF DOC
02-23-2009, 08:18
Rest In Peace Warriors

HMass18Z
02-23-2009, 08:26
Rest in Peace

ZonieDiver
02-23-2009, 09:59
Rest in Peace.

swpa19
02-23-2009, 10:06
Rest in peace.

SpetsnaZ
02-23-2009, 10:20
Rest in Peace

Team Sergeant
02-23-2009, 10:28
Tucson NCO dies in Afghan fighting
Green Beret is killed at 36 while on his 5th deployment
By Alex Dalenberg
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Master Sgt. David L. Hurt, a Green Beret who grew up in Tucson, would send his family word from Afghanistan whenever he could, even if he only had time enough to say, "I love you."
His mother, Bonnie Hurt, said she would sometimes get instant messages from her son that said, "I'm really busy. I love you."
Hurt, 36, and another non-commissioned officer in his unit, Staff Sgt. Jeremy E. Bessa, 26, died Friday in central Afghanistan supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, a Department of Defense press release said.
Their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device near the village of Khordi in Oruzgan province. Shortly afterward, their unit came under fire from enemy forces, the release said.
Bessa died at the scene. Hurt was flown to Kandahar Airfield, where he died from his wounds.
Both soldiers were assigned to Company B, 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), a U.S Army Special Forces press release said.
It was Hurt's fifth deployment in Afghanistan, the release said.
Hurt was born in Oak Park, Ill., but moved to Tucson when he was 3 years old. He joined the Army in 1992 after graduating from Santa Rita High School, Bonnie Hurt said.
Hurt went on to a decorated military career, joining the Green Berets and winning numerous awards and decorations, including the Bronze Star with two Oak Leaf Clusters, his U.S. Army biography states.
Hurt loved the Army. Even as boy he loved playing with toy soldiers, his mother said.
Years later, after her son had joined the Army, she would walk into his home and see the small plastic soldiers spread across a table — this time being used to plan out real-life tactics.
"He always loved the Army. Oh God, he loved it," she said.
And Hurt loved his country, installing a flagpole in his mother's front yard after returning from his first combat deployment, she said.
Hurt also cared deeply for the men whose lives he was responsible for.
"On those (Special Forces) teams, they're closer than they are to their families," Bonnie Hurt said.
Wednesday, the last time Bonnie Hurt spoke with her son, Hurt told her that he was trying to keep his team's spirits high after a medic had been killed the week before. He told her that he was trying to keep his team of young soldiers busy so they wouldn't have time to dwell on things, she said.
Most of all, Hurt was a husband and a father, survived by his wife, Kelly, 11-year-old daughter, Avery, and 5-year-old son, Wyatt.
"He was a very loving, caring husband, . . . and he was a great father. He loved doing things with his kids. He took his kids everywhere," Bonnie Hurt said. "They're really taking it rough," she said.
Funeral arrangements are pending. Bonnie Hurt said she hopes some of Hurt's friends in Tucson will contact with the family before then. He had been wanting to visit with old friends before his final deployment, she said.
As for herself, nothing in her life compares with this loss. "I've lost my mom. I've lost my dad. I've lost my aunt. I've been through a ton of funerals," she said. "You can go through all of that, but it's nothing like losing your kid . . . they're not supposed to go before you."

funeral info

If you knew Master Sgt. David L. Hurt and would like information about funeral arrangements, call Bonnie Hurt at 1-910-987-1465.

Contact reporter Alex Dalenberg at 307-0579 or at adalenberg@azstarnet.com.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/281361

greenberetTFS
02-23-2009, 10:36
RIP, Warrior.................:(

GB TFS

TimelyChaos
02-23-2009, 14:19
I had the privilege of being assigned to MSG Hurt's hut at CLT. He was a consummate professional who gave me my first real glance at what it meant to be a Quiet Professional. With the utmost respect, with thoughts and prayers to the families of both soldiers, I thank you for your service. Rest in Peace.

Nonna
02-24-2009, 04:02
RIP

csquare
02-24-2009, 07:36
Rest In Peace Warrior

Needle D
03-02-2009, 13:52
One of the best Team Sergeants I ever had.... I will miss my brothers on 3123.

ABN_FO
03-03-2009, 07:58
Rest In Peace Dave, You will be deeply missed by myself and my family.

DbeforeD
03-03-2009, 08:05
Peace be with you and your family.

tom kelly
03-03-2009, 19:39
Rest in Peace Sgt. Prayers Out for you & your family...God Bless You & God Bless America...Regard's, tom kelly

azmg
03-03-2009, 22:01
For those interested here is a brief media clip of the MSG's Tucson service.

http://www.kvoa.com/global/story.asp?s=9940754

MtnGoat
03-05-2009, 12:54
Dave was a great guy, people always look to him for guidance. Team mates hated his old school 307th PT.. Push ups, sit-ups, pull-ups now let s go run 5 miles.

All will be missed from this team. Great guys working together to kick some @$$ in Oruzgun.

Rest in Peace Warriors...my thoughts and prayers are with your families and Brothers. Bluer Skies and soft landings!!

HQ6
03-05-2009, 13:09
The memorial service was this morning for MSG Hurt, SSG Bessa, and SSG Small. After a week of rain and icy cold weather, the skies cleared and the sun came out to provide a beautiful day for the service which was fortunate because JFK Chapel was overflowing not only into the courtyard but into the parking lot. When SSG Bessa's father spoke, I don't think there was a dry eye there. It was very moving and fittingly beautiful to honor three fallen soldiers who were also really good men.

JihadJilson
03-05-2009, 17:35
When SSG Bessa's father spoke, I don't think there was a dry eye there. It was very moving and fittingly beautiful to honor three fallen soldiers who were also really good men.

Can't agree with you more. It was very emotional. A well executed memorial for the men. R.I.P. brothers and thank you.

CasperMike
03-10-2009, 16:18
RIP MSG Hurt

sefryak
02-20-2015, 20:48
6 years today for MSG Hurt, SSG Bessa and TSGT Davis

RIP brothers

uplink5
02-20-2015, 20:54
God Bless you men and your families....

Stobey
02-21-2015, 13:51
Master Sgt. David L. Hurt, may Almighty God grant you rest; and for your family and all whom you cherish, comfort and peace. My prayers are with you and yours.