PDA

View Full Version : Army charity hoards millions

Saoirse
02-22-2009, 15:44
AP INVESTIGATION: Army charity hoards millions
By JEFF DONN, AP National Writer Jeff Donn, Ap National Writer –
1 hr 18 mins ago

FORT BLISS, Texas – As soldiers stream home from Iraq and Afghanistan, the biggest charity inside the U.S. military has been stockpiling tens of millions of dollars meant to help put returning fighters back on their feet, an Associated Press investigation shows.

Between 2003 and 2007 — as many military families dealt with long war deployments and increased numbers of home foreclosures — Army Emergency Relief grew into a $345 million behemoth. During those years, the charity packed away $117 million into its own reserves while spending just $64 million on direct aid, according to an AP analysis of its tax records.

Read on:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_re_us/army_s_stingy_charity_abridged

echoes
02-22-2009, 15:51
AP INVESTIGATION: Army charity hoards millions
By JEFF DONN, AP National Writer Jeff Donn, Ap National Writer –
1 hr 18 mins ago

FORT BLISS, Texas – As soldiers stream home from Iraq and Afghanistan, the biggest charity inside the U.S. military has been stockpiling tens of millions of dollars meant to help put returning fighters back on their feet, an Associated Press investigation shows.

Between 2003 and 2007 — as many military families dealt with long war deployments and increased numbers of home foreclosures — Army Emergency Relief grew into a $345 million behemoth. During those years, the charity packed away $117 million into its own reserves while spending just $64 million on direct aid, according to an AP analysis of its tax records.

Read on:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_re_us/army_s_stingy_charity_abridged

This is not good. I have supported a very worthy and forthright charity, "Soldiers Angels," and one can be sure that they are not part of any corruption, like this!!!

How sad!:(

Holly

OIFDan
02-22-2009, 15:57

echoes
02-22-2009, 16:07
Admins,

Did a search under "charity" but did not find this topic...My appologies.

Yet, in this day and age, it is without question one of the most disgusting acts of humanity, to USE veterans as a money-making tool, IMHO...

The more light shed on this type of deception, the better!:mad:

Holly

HQ6
02-22-2009, 16:40
I wish I could say I was surprised... but I can't.

Peregrino
02-22-2009, 18:34
I wish I could say I was surprised... but I can't.

Nor can I. AER hasn't been on my "donate to" list since I was a SP4 in Korea (30+ years ago). To many cases of arm twisting and not helping deserving soldiers. The story is already in the local news. The wife pointed it out to me this afternoon; her comments aren't fit to repeat in polite company.

longrange1947
02-22-2009, 18:45
Peregrino - I too stopped being surprised by the inefficiency and BS from AER while I was in 1st in the early 70s. They cried poverty and would not help guys families that were deployed back then so am not surprised that they are hording now. :mad:

zauber1
02-22-2009, 19:19
This is just too sad for me. AER bailed me out when I was a PFC in the 80s. My wife (unbeknownst to me) had gone out and pawned her wedding ring set. So had I. Kinda reminds you of "Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry, doesn't it. We had done this to pay the rent because I was an E-3 with a wife and 3 kids.

AER bailed me out with a short term loan that my 1SG arranged. Was I the only one AER helped?

BTW, I never got my wedding ring or my wife's out of pawn in time but I DID get my Remington 870 in time. Priorities is priorities.

ABNWest
02-22-2009, 21:09
AER..wow, too bad. I think it's interesting how the strong arm tactics of 1SGs, COs and other leaders are just now coming to light. We never got out of PT but things like this definitely came up during a half day that would easily turn in to a full if there were people who decided not to participate. I've seen soldiers counseled, overlooked as too immature for promotion and hauled in front of the BDE CDR himself. The 82nd Association is another beast we deal with yearly.

lksteve
02-22-2009, 22:57
I commanded an infantry company for 21 months...my experience with AER was, at best, difficult. It is sad that a charity that is funded by soldiers was so unresponsive during my tenure in command. I don't recall them making very many loans, if any. They did a great job loaning troops' families pots and pans, but that was never what we were encouraged to hit the troops up for...seems like cold,hard cash was the greatest "need"..