PDA

View Full Version : Jump Wing Oval Question

pbr549xxx
06-19-2004, 09:41
When did Special Forces switch from the teal and gold oval to group specific ovals that matched the group flashes? I had to look all over Ft Bragg and Fayetteville to find the teal and gold one my Dad used to wear. I needed it so my wife and I could put together a shadow box of my Dad's awards and insignia from his military career for Fathers Day.
Thanks, my Dad is here at Bragg with me this weekend and he would like to know also.

QRQ 30
06-19-2004, 11:18
The wing background to which you refer was not SF specific. It was "Unassigned". For many years SF was not a branch. We FOGs wore the unassigned brass and wing background. Only officers had branch insignia. We EM wore the unassigned brass which was an eagle. Frankly, when polished up it was one of the best looking pieces of brass in the army.

Originally posted by pbr549xxx
When did Special Forces switch from the teal and gold oval to group specific ovals that matched the group flashes? I had to look all over Ft Bragg and Fayetteville to find the teal and gold one my Dad used to wear. I needed it so my wife and I could put together a shadow box of my Dad's awards and insignia from his military career for Fathers Day.
Thanks, my Dad is here at Bragg with me this weekend and he would like to know also.

The Reaper
06-19-2004, 12:32
Originally posted by QRQ 30
The wing background to which you refer was not SF specific. It was "Unassigned". For many years SF was not a branch. We FOGs wore the unassigned brass and wing background. Only officers had branch insignia. We EM wore the unassigned brass which was an eagle. Frankly, when polished up it was one of the best looking pieces of brass in the army.

I think he is talking about the background for the jump wings, not the branch insignia.

The backing for the jump wings used to be the same colors for all SFGs, Teal and Gold like the SF shoulder patch.

It is now group specific, usually the same color as the beret flash.

I cannot answer his question as to when the change occurred though.

TR

QRQ 30
06-19-2004, 13:54
TR:[QUOTE]"The backing for the jump wings used to be the same colors for all SFGs, Teal and Gold like the SF shoulder patch."[/QUOTE/

I think you misread my post TR. The teal blue with diagonal gold stripr wing background was for "unassigned" troopers. Thus, all SF personnel wore that background.

SF was an "unassigned" unit of the army for many years.

The Reaper
06-19-2004, 13:58
My mistake then.

You lost me with the branch insignia and brass discussion.

Thanks for clearing that up.

TR

brownapple
06-19-2004, 21:42
According to the Heraldry website, the current ovals were approved from 1993-1995.

Correction - some as late as '97

Psywar1-0
06-19-2004, 22:26
So 7th has a group specific oval now? It was the normal teal and gold one when I was in HHC, 95-96

QRQ 30
06-19-2004, 22:50
That's a good question Psywarrior. I haven't been in uniform since 1977 and have only seen one background -- the unassigned. Since the backgrounds were specific to Regiments. such as 504 PIR, 505 PIR, 325 PIR etc I would think that all members of the 1st SF Regt. would have the same wing background. Uniform insignia have changed so much that I'm not sure if a background is even worn behind the wings any more. I have never heard it called an oval. I think I'll go Googling. In my day only SF wore berets so the wing background (instead of a Flash) worn on the cap and class "A" and "B" uniforms identified different units.

Originally posted by Psywar1-0
So 7th has a group specific oval now? It was the normal teal and gold one when I was in HHC, 95-96

brownapple
06-20-2004, 06:20
Originally posted by Psywar1-0

Red.

https://www.perscomonline.army.mil/tagd/tioh/Flash%20&%20Trim%20page/7th%20Special%20Forces%20Group.htm

The Reaper
06-20-2004, 07:35
According to GH's website, the red background trimming was approved on 27 Mar 1997.

Luke, you must have just missed it.

TR

Psywar1-0
06-20-2004, 08:20
Thats interesting. Now in Class B's you cant tell if a support guy is assigned to 7th or the Field Artillery unit there on Bragg. Cant remember if its an 82d or 18th ABC unit that now shares both flash and oval. Or did they get new duds also. I think its all a plot by patch collectors LOL.

Psywar1-0
06-20-2004, 19:37
I would like to take this moment to officially cast my vote for the return of the "Humped" oval for those folks that have Senior or Master Wings. Looks so much better than having the star or S&W hanging out over the top of the oval.

Luke