PDA

View Full Version : Debate in Maryland

Ret10Echo
02-19-2009, 06:11
I found this interesting for a couple of reasons. First because of the serious leftward leanings of the voter base here in MD I am surprised there is any "debate" at all. Secondly because I found the comments from the former democrat govenor pretty direct and applicable although delivered as a bit of sarcasm......now the fact that former Govenor Mandel was convicted of mail fraud and racketeering shouldn't be a big deal, I mean it WAS the '70s.

R10

Death penalty debate rages in Maryland
February 19, 2009 - 6:05am

Kate Ryan, WTOP.com

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The debate is on in the Maryland General Assembly as to whether the death penalty is a deterrent to violent crime or an expensive, ineffective tool with flaws so bad it should be repealed.

More than 90 witnesses signed up to speak before the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee.

The question posed by Gov. Martin O'Malley is "whether to replace Maryland's death penalty to life without parole."

In a rare appearance before the legislature, O'Malley kicked off the hearing arguing that the death penalty is not a deterrent, pointing to a period in which violent crime spiked in the city of Baltimore, where he served as mayor. He said despite the fact that the death penalty was on the books, the violence escalated.

"The death penalty did absolutely nothing to prevent these awful crimes that plagued a proud and great American city. Nothing."

O'Malley has repeatedly called the death penalty a costly, inefficient tool to curbing violent crime.

Former Gov. Marvin Mandel came forward to offer a different perspective, a counter-point to O'Malley. He told of a time when a guard was taken hostage at the Maryland Penitentiary. Mandel said inmates were threatening to throw the hostage from a guard tower. He told the Senate panel that he agreed to talk to the inmates. He recalled they told him since they were already serving life terms, they had nothing to lose if they killed the guard.

Mandel said he told them, "If you kill that man, tomorrow morning, the legislature's going to meet in a special session and pass a bill to kill both of you."

Mandel got a laugh when he continued.

"One of them looked at the other and said 'Do you think he can do that?' and the other said 'maybe.'"

Mandel said they let the guard go. "When you say it isn't a deterrent, this is one time when it was a total deterrent. Correct what you find are the injustices, correct what you find are the problems, but don't take it off the books," Mandel said.

Since the General Assembly reinstated capital punishment in 1978, five men have been executed. Five remain on death row.

A task force formed by O'Malley reported in December that the application of the death penalty in Maryland is so flawed, it should be abolished. Yet, a poll cited by the Baltimore Sun shows that more than half of Maryland residents surveyed support the death penalty.

The Sun also reports that a poll of Senate lawmakers indicates that a narrow majority opposes repeal.

albeham
02-19-2009, 06:57
This man is not right in the head,at all. The Governor

It is not a deterrent if it is not used like it should be.

But them again the Death penalty is a tool, a tool that is used after the fact.
We all have tools, hand tools, that we would use before the court date.. ;)

Dozer523
02-19-2009, 08:16
I don't know. . . sounds a little like apples and oranges.
In general, the statistical data and the historical data support the notion that the threat of death does not deter crime, just as the threat of death does not deter the soldier from doing his duty . . . (bear with me). Why doesn't the threat of death stop the soldier from rucking up for the partol, pressing the attack or going over the top? At the "heart level" there is that dedication to mission and fellow soldier. At the "brain level" I think we are sure that, even though death might come, it surely won't pick me!
I think criminals think in a similiar fashion -- At the "heart level" They either are acting without thinking or they think the benefits outway the risk. At the "brain level", it's "I won't get caught and if I do, they won't actually execute me."
In the specific instance cited, The Gov made it very personal. If you do this I will convene the legislature and they will pass a law just for you and you will be executed.

Richard
02-19-2009, 09:14
MOO--it is merely about revenge for me--some SOB murders one of my family and I will seek revenge. Don't mess with Texas. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

ZonieDiver
02-19-2009, 09:27
MOO--it is merely about revenge for me--some SOB murders one of my family and I will seek revenge. Don't mess with Texas. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

I concur. For me, the deterrent part of the death penalty revolves around the fact that the particular SOB who killed someone will be forever deterred from killing anyone else!

I think Dozer is on track in saying that it in all probability doesn't deter someone who is about to kill someone. They don't have an "ah-ha" moment when they stop and say, "Wow, if I do this, I could get the death penalty."

Guy
02-19-2009, 09:31
If the death punishment was carried out right-quick-like.....

Stringing a SOB up by the neck until dead...DEAD...DEAD! In a timely fashion. It'll have criminals thinking alright.:lifter

Stay safe.

csquare
02-19-2009, 10:00
Maryland currently has 5 folks on death row. Here in Texas, we would have that cleared out before Daylight Savings Time begins.

And in case you were wondering, Texas has executed 8 since New Years.

The Reaper
02-19-2009, 10:18
Maryland currently has 5 folks on death row. Here in Texas, we would have that cleared out before Daylight Savings Time begins.

And in case you were wondering, Texas has executed 8 since New Years.

Some people just need killing.

Too bad we have to wait till they hurt an innocent to realize that.

TR

mcarey
02-20-2009, 02:00
My thought... Those that oppose the death penalty, are most likely also supporters of the freedom or choice (abortion rights); just think of the DP as a late term abortion of an unwanted criminal / predator adult.:rolleyes:

Kosta
02-20-2009, 03:47
My thought... Those that oppose the death penalty, are most likely also supporters of the freedom or choice (abortion rights); just think of the DP as a late term abortion of an unwanted criminal / predator adult.:rolleyes:

I'm pro-life and anti-capital punishment as a general rule. However, I believe in the necessity of keeping the laws on the books to allow for situations like the one Mandel mentioned.