PDA

View Full Version : Hand-made leather goods

echoes
02-18-2009, 12:15
Was investigating the art of making leather goods recently and became fascinated by the process and things that can actually be made by hand.
Was curious if anyone wanted to share any stories of creating their own leather goods?

Holly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning

"Tanning is the process of making leather, which does not easily decompose, from the skins of animals, which do. Often this uses tannin, an acidic chemical compound. Coloring may occur during tanning.
Tanning leather involves a process which permanently alters the protein structure of skin so that it can not ever return to rawhide.

Making rawhide does not require the use of tannin and is made simply by removing the flesh and then the hair by way of soaking in an aqueous solution, then scraping over a beam with a somewhat dull knife, and then leaving to dry, usually stretched on a frame so that it dries flat.

The two aforementioned solutions for removing the hair also act to clean the fiber network of the skin and therefore allow penetration and action of the tanning agent."

12B4S
02-20-2009, 02:10
I've made a few things from leather. A couple belts. Now that you bring this up, I need to replace the leather on a belt I got back in the 70's. The 'buckle' is a brass Pelican Hook. It's in great shape, but the leather belt needs replacing. I keep it simple, havn't done anything to complicated, like make a set of leather saddle bags for a motorcyle for a gal I knew a couple years ago. :)

Go Devil
02-20-2009, 06:49
I've been making alot of these lately.

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=240052&postcount=23

Razor
02-20-2009, 10:03
I haven't tanned my own leather or made rawhide, but I've done some leatherwork on small items over the last several years--fixed and folding knife sheaths, neckerchief slides, pouches, axe masks, belts, wallets, moccasins, etc.. I've found that it can become pretty expensive rather quickly if start to collect the specialized tools. I would like to spend more time in the future working on my carving skills and do less stamping.

LibraryLady
02-20-2009, 10:48
I've learned that tanning is hard work, a moving body of water helps the process, and finding brains for the tanning is difficult.

LL

HOLLiS
02-20-2009, 10:54
I've learned that tanning is hard work, a moving body of water helps the process, and finding brains for the tanning is difficult.

LL

You need to move out of that city you live in to find brains..:D

Have you tried, Mexican meat markets?

We had one of the oldest vegetable tanning business in the town just North of me. It closed. I would buy some of my leather from them.

Red Flag 1
02-20-2009, 11:12

Have you tried, Mexican meat markets?

We had one of the oldest vegetable tanning business in the town just North of me. It closed. I would buy some of my leather from them.

We need LL to stay in place to work with the locals. An island of reason amid a sea of liberals that know too much about what is just not so!:D

RF 1

HOLLiS
02-20-2009, 11:27
We need LL to stay in place to work with the locals. An island of reason amid a sea of liberals that know too much about what is just not so!:D

RF 1

Excellent point. An oasis in a field of emptiness too.

LibraryLady
02-20-2009, 11:38

Have you tried, Mexican meat markets?....

Actually, it's illegal for anyone to sell brains in the US, there's this disease running around that no one wants to get.

However, I learned, at least in MT, where I was living at the time, a butcher can sell you a head, which undoubtedly you'll just be using for the bone/skull as a decoration once you get it cleaned, right? :D

Though apparently, according to the old timers, each animal has enough brains to cure it's own hide.

RF 1

Excellent point. An oasis in a field of emptiness too.

Bah. I'm leaving and you can't make me stay!

LL

echoes
02-20-2009, 14:56
I've made a few things from leather. A couple belts. Now that you bring this up, I need to replace the leather on a belt I got back in the 70's. The 'buckle' is a brass Pelican Hook. It's in great shape, but the leather belt needs replacing. I keep it simple, havn't done anything to complicated, like make a set of leather saddle bags for a motorcyle for a gal I knew a couple years ago. :)

Greetings Sir,

That is good to know that the art form is not lost!
Recently, my studies are pointing towards a possible return to hand-made items as valued treasures, as technology grows bigger and bigger.

There are some skills and trades, like leather-crafting, that should never be lost, IMHO.:)

Holly

12B4S
02-22-2009, 03:38
Well the tanning process is beyond me. I havn't looked here yet but in AZ There was a tandy leather not far from me in Phoenix. I bought the leather there. Some as the belt blanks were natural (I guess is the term) So most I did to them was dye them and apply leather conditioner. But as Razor pointed out, it can get expensive just accumulating the tolls and such. Not to mention some of the chunks of hide. That's the problem. Everytime I start into something new. I start basic, then... I want to do more or something more difficult and it gets expensive. :D

Yeah Holly, some crafts should not be lost. Good thing there are still some craftsmen around that actually know what they are doing. I just made some simple USEFUL items....

LibraryLady
02-22-2009, 13:57
I buy rawhide and tanned leather from this place (http://www.hideandfur.com) online. What you see on the inventory pages is individual hides, showing size and quality of the piece. You have to check back regularly as the inventory changes regularly. I'm very impressed with the stuff I received from them so far, and plan on buying from them again.

I also pick up hides from a local place in Spokane, WA when I'm in the area since I prefer to look/touch a hide before I buy.

I've been offered freebies but frequently people do not know how to skin a critter so that the hide is usable, so most of them have not been worth my time/effort to use.

LL

cold1
02-23-2009, 11:38
Long story short. I wanted a good whip so that I could play cowboy. I found out how much a good whip is. It was to much for my cowboy fantasies. I was lucky to live close to Zack Whites leather company, I went there and they had some books on whip making.
This is the first one that I purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Whips-Bushcraft-Edwards/dp/0870335138/ref=pd_bbs_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235409724&sr=8-8

In less than a week and less than $50 I had a nice 5 ft whip that cracked. I kept buying leather and making whips and more books. Here is the next one that I purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Rawhide-Leather-Braiding-Bruce/dp/0870331612/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235409724&sr=8-2

The knots got fancier and so di the braiding. The longest one I made was 12 feet 8 braids down to 4 at the tip.

After spending around $800 in tools, books, and leather I had a dose of reality: Nobody wanted to play cowboy anymore. So all the whips sat in my shop until I got divorced, she wanted to keep them for some reason. Thats ok I got the books so I can make more when I want to.

Now back to the real subject, for the best reference book on braiding get the encyclopiedia above. For a begginers guide to braiding the whip making book above is the best I found. It is simple with alot of uncomplicated drawings to get you started. The encyclopidia has the most braiding ilustration of any book out there, it was the culmination of the authors life long love affair with all things leather.

Here is the link for zack whites also.
http://www.zackwhite.com/

Saoirse
02-23-2009, 13:52
I used to make jewelry to sell. At many of the swap meets and shows that I attended, there was always a great deal of interest in leather jewelry. I started to play around with it and actually made some pretty nice stuff. Unfortunately, I never took pictures and it all sold very quickly. I would make wrist cuffs with beading (various types of beads, not just the tiny seed beads), chokers and even earrings. They were huge sellers with the bikers and Native Americans (and enthusiasts).

Cold1... not everyone has stopped playing cowboy and whips aren't just for cowboys! LOL :D

echoes
02-23-2009, 14:01
I used to make jewelry to sell. At many of the swap meets and shows that I attended, there was always a great deal of interest in leather jewelry. I started to play around with it and actually made some pretty nice stuff. Unfortunately, I never took pictures and it all sold very quickly. I would make wrist cuffs with beading (various types of beads, not just the tiny seed beads), chokers and even earrings. They were huge sellers with the bikers and Native Americans (and enthusiasts).

Cold1... not everyone has stopped playing cowboy and whips aren't just for cowboys! LOL :D

Saoirse,

It is good to know that there are still folks out there like you, who created a hand-made item from original materials.:)

It is a fascinating trade to make items from leather!!!

And Cold1,
It sounds as if you learned a very valuable trade while creating your wares.;)

Holly

LibraryLady
02-23-2009, 14:03
Agreed, Saoirse.

I've got an origianal edition of Bruce Grant's first book, Leather Braiding. I've got a mind to do a bit of leather braiding sometime in my future.

cold1 - I think you should look around a bit, I bet you'll find yourself a market for a well made whip. That's the beauty of the Internet, you can more easily get in touch with people who have a similar interest.

LL

cold1
02-26-2009, 08:02
whips aren't just for cowboys! LOL
Leave it to the ladies to point this out!
I tried that route also. I meet some very interesting people when I did that. That are of play was for the real hardcore crowd. For the "regular" people, they did not want to pay for hand made goods when they could pickup a riding crop at the feed store for $15.

That's the beauty of the Internet, you can more easily get in touch with people who have a similar interest.

I tried that route also. Unless you are a name they dont want to pay. Even with the small 5-6 foot whips I could not get my materials cost out of it.

I set up a table at two events, an old fashioned weekend, and the ren fair in raleigh. Everybody wanted to look, touch and crack the whips, but that was all they wanted to do. When I started cracking the whips everybody would come and watch, I even gave a few lessons but nobody would part with the cash. All I wanted was materials cost.

I've got a mind to do a bit of leather braiding sometime in my future

I found the turks heads to be the easiest to learn and some of the prettiest to make. Try those first. I still use the edge lacing when I make sheaths and holsters.

Blitzzz (RIP)
02-26-2009, 22:14
I had a difficult time finding anyone to make an Item for me. I made it for myself. Bought some Pigskin and swede.. Cut a piece of each in a shape to make a Gauntlet. On the outer (pigskin) I cut 1 inch slots spaced to make loops to fit 45.110 cartridges (5) . Laced a 1 inch wide stripe through the slots.stitched at between each loop. I then stitched the swede to the under side of the Pigskin. gromets along each side of the gauntlet and leather thread (!/4 inch).

Now I can wear this to shoots on my left arm with 5 bullets in easy reach. It was my first and came out really well. Pat myself on the back.
I used a kitchen fork to space the thread holes and right sized neddle and waxed thread. Blitzzz

Saoirse
02-27-2009, 02:20
I had a difficult time finding anyone to make an Item for me. I made it for myself. Bought some Pigskin and swede.. Cut a piece of each in a shape to make a Gauntlet. On the outer (pigskin) I cut 1 inch slots spaced to make loops to fit 45.110 cartridges (5) . Laced a 1 inch wide stripe through the slots.stitched at between each loop. I then stitched the swede to the under side of the Pigskin. gromets along each side of the gauntlet and leather thread (!/4 inch).

Now I can wear this to shoots on my left arm with 5 bullets in easy reach. It was my first and came out really well. Pat myself on the back.
I used a kitchen fork to space the thread holes and right sized neddle and waxed thread. Blitzzz

Hey Blitzzz...do you have a picture of the gauntlets? Would love to see that. That has always interested me...since I used to make jewelry (and after spending time at a craft store today...think I will be at it again). Share, Mister! :D

Blitzzz (RIP)
02-27-2009, 13:52
These pics are of my Bullet Gauntlet for 45-110 black powder cartridges. My first attempt. I'll probably make a new one with the loops oriented horizintally on the Gauntlet. Blitzzz

echoes
03-09-2009, 17:15
These pics are of my Bullet Gauntlet for 45-110 black powder cartridges. My first attempt. I'll probably make a new one with the loops oriented horizintally on the Gauntlet. Blitzzz

Sir,

Wow!! :)Those are very impressive Sir, and must have taken many "man-hours" to complete. Am so glad to know that hand-made leather goods are still practiced in todays day and age.

Holly

Blitzzz (RIP)
03-10-2009, 16:22
Not to be to to but I'm not a Sir. Dave's Okay (MSG ReT)

echoes
03-11-2009, 07:46
Not to be to to but I'm not a Sir. Dave's Okay (MSG ReT)

Thank You, Dave! ;) Was curious if the Bullet Gauntlet "skin" was cut down from a larger piece? If so, did you have any uses for the smaller scraps? Just thinking out loud is all...:o

Holly

Blitzzz (RIP)
03-11-2009, 10:46
It was cut from a small piece one of my sons picked up some where. It's soft Pig skin and I like it. The inside is Doe skin and very soft. I got that from a friend. Dave

echoes
03-12-2009, 12:49
It was cut from a small piece one of my sons picked up some where. It's soft Pig skin and I like it. The inside is Doe skin and very soft. I got that from a friend. Dave

Dave,

Thank you, as I have been researching the Indian artform of creating Dreamcatchers, and have talked to another QP about the materials involved.:)

Can't wait to see what you create next...if possible, please post the pictures. It is a great hobby, to work with leather, and other natural materials, and create something. (Currently I am sowing some small pillows by hand, as gifts for some really special folks.)

Holly

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-24-2010, 13:31

16874 (WALL PLAQUE)

This is my latest wood project for a Special friend x 32 years.
I plan on making another for one more friend and one for me.
The next one will be on a 10th group flash and mine...maybe the 1st or 7th.

Green Light
10-24-2010, 14:29
Nice work, Dave!