PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Caller ID no-more??

Ret10Echo
02-18-2009, 05:44
TelTech is at it again. :munchin

TrapCall lets find out who that blocked caller is
February 17, 2009 - 11:53am

Kristi King, wtop.com

UNDATED - There's now a way to get around blocked caller ID on some cell phones, but not everyone is happy about it.

The service, called TrapCall, takes the privacy out of Caller ID and lets you find out who is calling your cell.

Available to AT&T and T-Mobile subscribers, not only can you unmask who's calling, you can blacklist unwanted callers by phone number and listen to your voicemail over the Web.

It lets you find out who calls by taking advantage of a loophole in Caller ID blocking, Wired reports.

Advocates for domestic violence victims are concerned about the service. They fear victims will not be safe.

"Victims of domestic violence have to be able to make calls anonymously, and TrapCall removes that," says Cindy Southworth with the National Network to End Domestic Violence in D.C.

"We have to tell victims that calling an offender may be dangerous."

Southworth says the service may lead to changes in the courtroom as victims and abusers with children decide how child visitation will take place. To keep abusers from learning victims' phone numbers, she says a third party may need to be brought in.

TelTech Systems' Meir Cohen expected advocates would applaud the service because it lets the victim know whether a stalker or harasser is on the line.

TelTech is the same company that came up with Spoofcard. Spoofcard lets you send any phone number you want as your Caller ID. That service has come under fire because it's used by hackers and by prankers who "swat" others.

SF_BHT
02-18-2009, 07:13
So they make a card that lets you spoof your number so no one can know who you are and then they make a device to un-hidden hidden numbers........

I bet their new device does not Un-Hide their SpoofCard.......:munchin

Rogue
02-18-2009, 07:54

You are probably right......

Therefore, they get you one way or the other. If you want to find out who is calling you, get one product. And, if you want to retain your privacy, buy the other. You think they got all of their bases covered???

Kosta
02-18-2009, 07:58
You are probably right......

Therefore, they get you one way or the other. If you want to find out who is calling you, get one product. And, if you want to retain your privacy, buy the other. You think they got all of their bases covered???

You've got to admire their spirit of entrepreneurship and capitalism, if nothing else.

HOLLiS
02-18-2009, 09:03
This does not make any sense; "Victims of domestic violence have to be able to make calls anonymously"

If a person calls 911, they are known. From my experience it is the perp that wants to hide behind a unlisted phone number.

Aoresteen
02-18-2009, 10:18
Use a pay phone (if you can find one) and walk away. Let 'em trace that! :D

Team Sergeant
02-18-2009, 10:23
They also have "disposable" cell phones one could purchase.;)

TS
(I have six, they're on my night stand next to my tin-foil helmet & 1919A6)

echoes
02-18-2009, 12:43
So they make a card that lets you spoof your number so no one can know who you are and then they make a device to un-hidden hidden numbers........

So true Sir!

There are those in America that have blocked phone numbers for a reason!
The reason is real. Blocking takes care of the problem, and allows for some peace from those that would seek to do harm.

My .02.

Holly

Gypsy
02-18-2009, 18:32
Use a pay phone (if you can find one) and walk away. Let 'em trace that! :D

LOL!

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a pay phone in eons...

Dan
02-19-2009, 10:22
The links...

http://www.trapcall.com/
http://www.spoofcard.com/
http://www.liarcard.com/