PDA

View Full Version : Video: Marine FOB in Afghanistan — Tough Duty!

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-16-2009, 14:51
I ran across this video and thought it was very interesting; however, makes me wonder why such a base would be built in what appears to be a small valley with high mountains containing enemy forces controlling the high ground. What happened to take and control the high ground? :confused:

It just seems to me, there has to be a better way to conduct operations there.

Combat Outpost: exclusive film from the Afghan frontline

As US and the UK forces struggle for a way forward in Afghanistan, John D McHugh's unique film from one of the US military's most dangerous outposts shows just how western forces are losing ground to the Taliban

Link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2009/feb/13/us-military-afghanistan-outpost

nmap
02-16-2009, 15:42
Sir, I will be the first to admit I am a civilian, and as such completely ignorant about military activities. That said, the video seems strikingly similar to news reports out of Vietnam back in the late 1960's. And the Afghan army seems very much like the Vietnamese army back then.

Is this just a replay of Vietnam, with the likely conclusion all too apparent?

cornelyj
02-16-2009, 15:48
good find.

great ending scene... I effing hate motors

It does seem as though they are situated poorly on the valley. Something tells me that the reason for their positioning has something to do with the need to air support and air resupply. Any thoughts?

JSE
02-16-2009, 17:57
That was an amazing video; probably some of the best footage I've seen in a very long time. It's also quite revealing about our strategy and tactics. As a self-proclaimed "student" of military tactics and strategy, it would seem to me that small teams could use the cover of darkness to recon for those Taliban mortar positions and call in CAS when they open up during the daytime. Perhaps this is a war to be fought mostly by our SOF and not the conventional military because it doesn't seem to be working for those Marines.

11Ber
02-16-2009, 18:47
Crazy video. As for site selection for a COP, I'm sure many people on here have spent considerable more time in Eastern Afghanistan than I have but from the area I saw I was able to deduce that, unfortunately, the only flat ground is low ground. We made up for this with numerous OP's. I am not going to guess as to if they have them and for sure I am not going to guess on reasons if they do not. Just saying, OP's are the only way to take heat off of a COP, and they do not remove pressure just redirect it to said OP's.

Sigaba
02-16-2009, 19:17
Given the Guardian's hostility towards Bush the Younger and his approach to GWOT (an example is here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jan/05/terrorism-israel-obama)), as well as the insidious nature of the editing, I'm taking the report with a few grains of salt.

Atilla
02-16-2009, 21:22
Perhaps this is a war to be fought mostly by our SOF and not the conventional military because it doesn't seem to be working for those Marines.

If I am not mistaken those Marines are SOF. I am pretty sure those are MARSOC guys or Recon Marines. You can tell by the gear, straight-leggers don't get that kind of leeway. Especially rolling with only skivy shirts. Those Devil Dogs are SOF and they seem pretty frustrated cause they aren't being set up for success to do what Marines do best; locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver. We need to shift our focus quickly in order to put the Taliban on the run. Hopefully the new POTUS will get on board soon.

frostfire
02-16-2009, 23:07
Is this just a replay of Vietnam, with the likely conclusion all too apparent?

Dien Bien Phu comes to mind

The last question asked by the Guardian reporter, regardless of his agenda, and the answer given by the brave Marine speaks a trillion words.
I wonder if he was aware his comment would show up in an online video accesible worldwide. As another poster said, I take the video with a grain of salt

Hostile0311
02-17-2009, 00:17
That was an amazing video; probably some of the best footage I've seen in a very long time. It's also quite revealing about our strategy and tactics. As a self-proclaimed "student" of military tactics and strategy, it would seem to me that small teams could use the cover of darkness to recon for those Taliban mortar positions and call in CAS when they open up during the daytime. Perhaps this is a war to be fought mostly by our SOF and not the conventional military because it doesn't seem to be working for those Marines.

Thats a good "theory". However, in the really real world those mortar teams you 'reconned' out last night if you were lucky enough to get 'eyes on' have a funny way of not being at the same coordinates in the morning. Those Marines' are MARSOC and are SOF. I know because I recognize some of them. Furthermore since you have no operational experience or military experience for that matter, I would refrain from discussing military tactics and strategy on this site or any other as it is a violation of OPSEC.

Atilla
02-17-2009, 00:48
Wait Hostile are you telling me the enemy doesn't just hang out and make it easy for you to kill him and furthermore are you insinuating that our enemies are smart and tactically proficient and that they aren't dumber than cavemen. Damn, everything I thought I knew is wrong. Now excuse me while I go do some rack recon.

Hostile0311
02-17-2009, 01:07
Wait Hostile are you telling me the enemy doesn't just hang out and make it easy for you to kill him and furthermore are you insinuating that our enemies are smart and tactically proficient and that they aren't dumber than cavemen. Damn, everything I thought I knew is wrong. Now excuse me while I go do some rack recon.

Nah Atilla I would never say anything like that. Of course these Taliban are as dumb as the rocks they hide behind. I'm sure with the armchair commandos out there that have yet to don a uniform calling for fire we could win this war tomorrow since these Taliban are so incompetent. ;) Drive On Bro and rack out.

JSE
02-17-2009, 08:07
Understood; I will keep my mouth shut from now on. ;)

SF_BHT
02-17-2009, 08:31
Who ever they are MARSOC or not they need to get on top of the Hills and build a proper base that does not let the enemy dominate you but you dominate the enemy. The Valley that they are in is too narrow and they should have not built there unless there is something that better dictated their location. Sitting in a base does not let you win the hearts and minds and it does not let you dominate the terrain and dominate the enemy.

Hostile0311
02-17-2009, 10:55
Who ever they are MARSOC or not they need to get on top of the Hills and build a proper base that does not let the enemy dominate you but you dominate the enemy. The Valley that they are in is too narrow and they should have not built there unless there is something that better dictated their location. Sitting in a base does not let you win the hearts and minds and it does not let you dominate the terrain and dominate the enemy.

Sir,
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I can only see from the video that these guys are trying to make the best of a bad situation and a worse locale. Maybe they inherited the poor position from a previous unit and have no choice but to deal with it as best they can? I can only say as a former Marine that the situation and terrain dictated their position (but then again, sometimes piss-poor planning and Mr. Murphy could also have played a role). I have to believe we are missing something. This 10 minute clip fails to illustrate the whole story I would surmise and is most likely edited to reiterate their (The Guardian's) agenda. Given the anti-Bush history of this news agency it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Razor
02-17-2009, 13:01
A few of those guys were wearing ACUs with 1st Infantry Division SSI.

SF_BHT
02-17-2009, 13:09
Sir,
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I can only see from the video that these guys are trying to make the best of a bad situation and a worse locale. Maybe they inherited the poor position from a previous unit and have no choice but to deal with it as best they can? I can only say as a former Marine that the situation and terrain dictated their position (but then again, sometimes piss-poor planning and Mr. Murphy could also have played a role). I have to believe we are missing something. This 10 minute clip fails to illustrate the whole story I would surmise and is most likely edited to reiterate their (The Guardian's) agenda. Given the anti-Bush history of this news agency it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

That is why you never want to have to deal with the News. The only Good News Reporter is the one that is not with you.