PDA

View Full Version : What type of knife is this?

Plutarch
02-15-2009, 23:01
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fallschirmjager-Vintage-1936-German-WW2-Repo-Knife_W0QQitemZ250374538586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item250374538586

I ran across this same model knife at a gun show recently. The blade folds sideways into the handle.

It was slim, but had a nice heft and fit well in your pocket.

Obviously I don't want anything with Nazi markings ( although seeing 'China' etched below the swastika was amusing ).

I attempted to search for a quality maker of this style of knife, but I am at a loss as to what to call it. I googled side opening knife, sideways opening knife, flip out knife, with limited success.

The fact that this was sold as a German Fallschirmjager reproduction was irrelevant to me ( I simply liked the design ), but I searched several WWII German military sites just the same, and came up with nothing.

Anyone know what this type of knife design might be called?

cold1
02-16-2009, 06:50
Smith and wesson produced something similar years ago. I dont know if they still produce it or not. I believe they labeled it the "folding boot knife". The had two different balde styles. One was the typical dagger style blade and the other was a drop point.