PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Shoes

HQ6
02-14-2009, 21:25
It was a toss up between putting this here, general discussion, and gear.

I have been riding mountain bikes recreationally for a few of years now. About two years ago I started taking indoor cycling/Spinning at my gym, got hooked, and started teaching about a month ago. For my birthday, my friends got me a gift card to the Bicycle Shop to get some shoes. Only problem is that I have no idea what I am looking for or at when it comes to cycling shoes. I have always worn hiking boots on the trails and my running shoes when I am teaching. So, if there are any cycling aficionados out there who could tell me what are the important elements one needs to look for in a shoe and if there is a preferred brand, I would appreciate any help.

OH and the shoes will be strictly for teaching the cycling class... at least until I get the whole unclip thing down cold. I don't want to bite it because I couldn't get my feet to the ground. Are you even supposed to wear the clips on trails?

Paslode
02-14-2009, 21:58
Most important is to get something that fits your foot well especially in the heel/Toe area. Secondly it needs to have a stiff sole to transmit power to the peddles and save your arches. Been awhile since I raced, but Shimano once made mountain bike shoes that had rubber treaded soles and also had an area for a clipless pedal lug if you wanted to go clipless. Alot of recreational used them because lug or no lug they were easy to walk in.

Just do some browsing, find something interesting and then visit your local bike shop.

One note, I always found that my cycling shoes stretched so a generally bought the next size smaller.

pheepster
02-15-2009, 03:25
Clipless pedals are fine for most mountain biking, you just have to be comfortable using them (or twisting out of them).

If these shoes will strictly be used for your spinning class and those bikes have toe clips on the pedals, you might want to consider a road racing oriented shoe. They're generally a bit lighter, stiffer and transfer energy effectively, though they are a bit more awkward to walk in.

As far as brands, most companies make shoes with quality reflecting their price points. But like anything else, some companies fit differently than others so you'll just have to try some on. I like the ratchet adjustment on my Sidi shoes, but velcro straps are good too for allowing you to tighten the shoe without stopping. As stated above, they can stretch so being able to reach down and tighten them a little is nice.

Happy riding.

dmgedgoods
02-15-2009, 10:35
Paslode nailed it. I raced downhill, dual slalom, and cross country, and can tell you first hand that shimano made one mean shoe. The clips on the under side were well hidden in the rubber making up the sole, unlike some high end shoes like Sidi road shoes, where it sounds like you are wearing a set of pumps in a marble room when you walk around.

There are some other companies out there that make decent mountain shoes, but the Shimano mountain shoes worked best for me.

Shimano (http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/shoes/mtb.html)

Shawn

cornelyj
02-15-2009, 22:18
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm

http://www.lookcycle.com/products/

Shimano XTR PD-M970 SPD MTB Pedal
Shimano XTR PD-M970 SPD MTB Pedal

These are three great clipless companies and I have raced road and mtb with all. If you are doing a spinning class the shimano XTR PD's are the way to go. Most of the bikes are SPD compatible and you wont have to mess around with an allen screw set before class. Personally I use the same road type cycling shoe for both road and mtb but thats just my preference. If you want a more walker friendly/ camp cycle shoe they already hit the nail on the head with making sure the cleat is recessed in the shoe. Note: If you buy a recessed shoe only SPD cleats will fit in that shoe not any of the popular road brands.

I ride the nike and specialized carbon soled shoes which the styles change monthly just like normal shoes but you can't complain when you get them free.

You also just like with anything on the bike be measured properly and set the screws properly. lock tite! There are tons of charts and schools of thought on the subject best you go with which doesn't hurt.

Yes we do wear clips on the trails

Now that you have my advice you better not be spinning any of that techno SH@T in the spin room you greasers are giving us manly bikers a bad name. :cool:

Also note: it is better to look good dropped off the back then bad at all.

HOLLiS
02-15-2009, 23:30
Also look at a insole program. It allows you to get a better fitting shoe. Stabilizing the foot is a big part of performance foot wear.

Look at super feet, trim to fit if your feet pronate less than 1/2 size, custom molded for over that. People tend to buy shoes too loose. Good boot and shoes should fit like driving gloves not welding gloves.

For mountain biking, don't use a road shoes. Mountain bike shoes are fine on road bikes too if you can only afford one pair of shoes, but not the other way around.

Shimano SPDs are the way to go, Road bike pedals are not the same as for Mtn Bikes, too.

HQ6
02-16-2009, 21:58
Now that you have my advice you better not be spinning any of that techno SH@T in the spin room you greasers are giving us manly bikers a bad name. :cool:

LOL I try to never to look manly :)

I mix it up since I get a lot of military guys in my classes, and they aren't crazy about the techo/trance crap generally speaking.

My favorite class right now is:
The Black Pearl Remix (intro background music as everyone gets settled)
Days Go By - Dirty Vegas (warm up - little bit of everything)
Thunder - Nuttin But Stringz (sprints)
Wake Up Call - Maroon 5 (steep hill)
Toxic/Rehab Remix (cause it is just too funny not to use) - Britney Spears vs. Amy Winehouse (mild climb in multiple hand positions)
Du u Haust - Rammstein (sprints)
Voodoo - God Smack (long steep hill)
Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers (jumps with a sprint at the end)
Bring me to life - Evanescence (hill with heavy sprints)
Faster Pussycat - Brittany Murphy/Oakenfold (stabilizers)
Control - Puddle of Mudd (hill)
This Love - Maroon 5 (fast hill)
Played-A-Live (the Bongo Song) - Starlite Singers (sprints)
Every Time We Touch - Cascada (one last fast hill for the road)
The Big Hush - Shriekback (cool down and stretch)

I know... two Maroon 5 songs in one class... but I am going through a phase where I love Adam Levine's voice. I have to dig around on iTunes for my classes this week. If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to PM me. I don't want to clutter the main board with that stuff.

PR31C
02-17-2009, 11:32
Some advice from a cyclist and BMX dad, while shopping be sure to check out BMX stores online. BMXers tend to be younger and have less cash so equipment cost tend to be less. And while on the subject of clips, never clip into a Time pedal while wearing SPD clips. You will not get out and yes the kids have done this.

SPD clips & pedals

TIME clips & pedals

Paslode
02-17-2009, 18:05
BMXers tend to be younger and have less cash so equipment cost tend to be less.

Man things have changed, my BMX bikes and components cost each cost well over 1k....but that was a long, long time ago.

As peddles go, in my day BMX was a pair of Vans and Hutch Bear Trap peddles (No Clips) later on I favored the SPD/Shimano Dura-Ace over Time for my Road and Mountain Bikes. My favorite road shoes were Carnac and Shimano for the Mountain Bike.

Korndogg
03-09-2009, 17:35
Another good place to look is pricepoint.com (http://www.pricepoint.com)for good deals on shoes and pedals combos or seperates. It changes there almost every day so sign up for email alerts or check back often.

SpetsnaZ
03-09-2009, 21:09
Its what I tell everybody who wants to get into any aspect of biking but really don't know anything at all about biking:
Go to the local bike shops near your home and work. Just pick their brain, tell them what you want and why you want it. Then compare them on quantity of products, quality of products, price, service and overall knowledge of cycling... You'll get better equipment that way then asking people online who you might not even know. :D

fujimo
03-11-2009, 11:27
I ride on the road, in the mountains, and inside. I would recommend a pair of mountain shoes that are slightly flexible with rubber outsoles. Get a pair with a recessed SPD cleats. These will be good in class as they will work with the bikes there and when you decide to get off the bike and walk around the room to provide encouragement, you will not bust it in front of everyone. Also, once you decide to put new pedals on your mountain bike, you can easily find many to choose from. I have a pair of Shimano and a pair of Sidi. Like them both.

Check out http://www.roadbikereview.com/

and

http://www.mtbr.com/

JForms
03-23-2009, 09:03
Shimano SH-M225

-J