PDA

View Full Version : Gas Block pros & cons

bravo22b
02-11-2009, 07:39
I searched for this information and didn't find a specific discussion, but please, if this is redundant, then my apologies.

I have an opportunity to buy an RRA 16" that has a gas block with an upper rail instead of the standard gas block/front sight. My first instinct was that I would prefer the standard gas block for simplicity and cost. I plan on setting this rifle up like my issue M4, with BUIS and an ACOG TA31F.

If I buy this rifle, I will need to also buy a front sight, and a sling point. I don't like the idea of extra parts that have the potential for loosening up and affecting accuracy, (also $$$), but I also understand the advantage of a low profile gas block that might allow a different optic setup in the future if I should ever choose to do so.

I have to decide whether to take the rifle today, and if I don't, then wait who knows how long until another one comes in that does have what I want.

Is there some other factor that I am missing, some other advantages to the low profile gas block, or am I concerned over a minor point?

The Reaper
02-11-2009, 08:02
I searched for this information and didn't find a specific discussion, but please, if this is redundant, then my apologies.

I have an opportunity to buy an RRA 16" that has a gas block with an upper rail instead of the standard gas block/front sight. My first instinct was that I would prefer the standard gas block for simplicity and cost. I plan on setting this rifle up like my issue M4, with BUIS and an ACOG TA31F.

If I buy this rifle, I will need to also buy a front sight, and a sling point. I don't like the idea of extra parts that have the potential for loosening up and affecting accuracy, (also $$$), but I also understand the advantage of a low profile gas block that might allow a different optic setup in the future if I should ever choose to do so.

I have to decide whether to take the rifle today, and if I don't, then wait who knows how long until another one comes in that does have what I want.

Is there some other factor that I am missing, some other advantages to the low profile gas block, or am I concerned over a minor point?

Given the current market for ARs, I would think that is a minor concern. Front sight assemblies are cheap, or you could just get a flip up front, like the Troy, and be done with it. Very trick, and slick.

TR

bravo22b
02-11-2009, 11:52
Thank you for the timely and succinct advice, TR.

A quick answer by a subject matter expert as opposed to combing through web page after web page of poorly-informed comments by wannabes is one of the things that makes this site great.

Time to go spend some money.

The Reaper
02-11-2009, 12:16
Thank you for the timely and succinct advice, TR.

A quick answer by a subject matter expert as opposed to combing through web page after web page of poorly-informed comments by wannabes is one of the things that makes this site great.

Time to go spend some money.

You might check and see if it is an AWB rifle. If it is, and the muzzle device is welded on, the front sight assembly will not come off without some machine time.

If the rifle has a screw on flash suppressor, the front sight assembly should come off after removing the two taper pins of roll pins on the lower half of the assembly. Sometimes, it takes a bit of penetrating oil or heat to come loose, and the judicious application of a hammer.

If the rails cover any of the FSA area, you may have to do some cutting there as well.

The flip up front sight option requires none of these mods.

Your call, though. Best of luck.

TR