PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii trying to ban folding Knives

Bill Harsey
02-10-2009, 09:20
from my friend Doug Ritter at kniferights.org

Hawaii is trying to pass a law banning the carry, ownership, transport or manufacturer of a pocket or folding knife.

Here it is: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2009/bills/SB126_.htm

JJ_BPK
02-10-2009, 09:58
That's about as dumb as it gets.

What did this insidious person do:

Decapitate the Pineapples??
Mince the Macadamia Nuts??
Circumcise the Bananas??
Peirce the Cannonballs??
Disembowel Papayas??
Chop the Kukui Nuts??
Mutilate the Guavas??
Whittle the Koas??

Or carve their initials on their surf board???

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

Richard
02-10-2009, 10:26
I guess there are those who might feel threatened when someone like me pulls out my keys to open a door because they are attached to a small, red Swiss army knife with nail file/screwdriver, scissors, plastic toothpick, and 2" knife blade. I know the size 2 hats who man the TSA security scanners are because I've lost a couple of them to their vigilant commitment to protect us as we go flying off to wherever. :rolleyes:

IMO this is another fine example of elected lawmakers busily going about the business of 'monkey business' vs taking care of the people's business for which they were elected. I can see a resurgence of Shirley Temple and Fred Astair/Ginger Rogers movies coming soon to a theater near you.

I've carried a pocket knife my entire life and certainly don't plan on giving it up now. Besides the $$$ and the over abundance of tourists, I now have another good reason to stay in Texas and avoid spending any time or $$$ in the Aloha State. :p

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Bill Harsey
02-10-2009, 10:40
JJ_BPK, Richard,
Very well said in different ways.

Hawaii is also home to some very well known knife makers like Tom Mayo and Ken Onion who make significant design and product contributions to large companies. This provides people with good product while employing a lot of folks.

If this law can pass there... you know the next part.

swatsurgeon
02-10-2009, 16:37
The day cars are outlawed is the day I will think there is sanity in the world....relative to reducing "accidental" deaths. Go to the CDC website, WISQARS and see the stats.....

http://webappa.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe?_service=v8prod&_server=app-v-ehip-wisq.cdc.gov&_port=5081&_sessionid=lU.94m44L52&_program=wisqars.details10.sas&_service=&type=U&prtfmt=STANDARD&age1=25&age2=34&agegp=25-34&deaths=13997&_debug=0&lcdfmt=lcd1age&ethnicty=0&ranking=10&deathtle=Death

motor vehicles still are the #1 killer at 50.3% of all deaths and firearms are 0.9% and 'cut/pierce' 0.1%. Pick any age group, they are all the same.

Sten
02-10-2009, 16:43
The day cars are outlawed is the day I will think there is sanity in the world....relative to reducing "accidental" deaths. Go to the CDC website, WISQARS and see the stats.....

http://webappa.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe?_service=v8prod&_server=app-v-ehip-wisq.cdc.gov&_port=5081&_sessionid=lU.94m44L52&_program=wisqars.details10.sas&_service=&type=U&prtfmt=STANDARD&age1=25&age2=34&agegp=25-34&deaths=13997&_debug=0&lcdfmt=lcd1age&ethnicty=0&ranking=10&deathtle=Death

motor vehicles still are the #1 killer at 50.3% of all deaths and firearms are 0.9% and 'cut/pierce' 0.1%. Pick any age group, they are all the same.

Awesome link! We need to ban Poison, falling and water.

Tobusch
02-12-2009, 08:13
and I thought, we would have a strange knife law!

We are not allowed to carry "ready accesible" a handed folder.
But, we can, when we need it for our job, for traditional reasons or for camping, hiking, hunting, picknick,...

But we are allowed to carry a fixed blade with a blade length of maximum 4,5 inch... without a leagal reason!

How clever is that???