PDA

View Full Version : Spear Fisherman dragged 3km by marlin

JJ_BPK
02-09-2009, 18:53
Another idiot saved,, in-spite of himself.. :eek::rolleyes::mad:

Fisherman Nick Dobby dragged 3km by Marlin, By staff writers, NEWS.com.au
January 29, 2009 05:57am

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24978455-13762,00.html

A SPEAR-GUN fisherman was dragged three kilometres by a huge blue marlin off New Zealand's Great Barrier Island.

When 18-year-old Nick Dobby speared the 213kg (469 lbs) marlin last weekend it began a battle which lasted two and a half hours and carried him three kilometres, NZPA reported.

He said when he speared the fish from a distance of five metres it took off with "explosive power" - dragging him and the buoy attached to his spear through the water.

He stayed above the water for most of the battle as his friend, Mark Colville, followed on their boat, encouraging him and making sure he did not get tangled in the line, he told The New Zealand Herald.

He never thought of abandoning the fight, NZPA reported.

"If you're an idiot for pulling the trigger, then you have to stay with it."

After two hours he fired his fourth and final shot at the marlin when it rounded on the boat.

"It was thrashing its bill and wanted a piece of us, too. That's when it started to get a little bit out of control. The bill would slice you up, too."

But the thought of injury never crossed his mind, NZPA reported.

"The adrenaline was going though," Mr Dobby said.

It was only when the fish was hauled onto the boat he realised its size.

"I knew it was a record because I knew there had never been a blue marlin speared in New Zealand before."

NZPA said Mr Dobby would have the marlin's head mounted and the rest of it chopped up ready to be smoked.

Roguish Lawyer
02-09-2009, 19:10
LOL, hey, he caught it, didn't he? :)

JJ_BPK
02-09-2009, 19:42
LOL, hey, he caught it, didn't he? :)

Yes,, and smoked it..

He use an open ocean rig. You attach your spear to a tether attached to several jug-floats. (c float_bodice_new)

Not unlike the barrels used if JAWS. The jugs drag you along, at the surface.

He had the chance to get in his buddies chase boat and didn't,, very dumb..

ReconDoc242
04-27-2009, 15:24
this is why you should always dive with a dive knife.

Peregrino
04-27-2009, 17:50
Inverse ratio of testosterone to common sense. Sounds like he got fixated on making the record books (no external assistance). Extreme spearfishing gets Darwin Awards stupid at regular intervals. Sometimes the fish wins.

ReconDoc242
04-28-2009, 12:16
Inverse ratio of testosterone to common sense. Sounds like he got fixated on making the record books (no external assistance). Extreme spearfishing gets Darwin Awards stupid at regular intervals. Sometimes the fish wins.
It doesnt take much brother. I have been spearfishing for the past few years and what most new divers dont realize is that it only takes a 25lbs fish to drown most people. Anything bigger then that requires some serious precautions and major experience to tackle on.

Peregrino
04-28-2009, 12:43
It doesnt take much brother. I have been spearfishing for the past few years and what most new divers dont realize is that it only takes a 25lbs fish to drown most people. Anything bigger then that requires some serious precautions and major experience to tackle on.

Been there, done that. :o My first spearfishing trip (30 years ago) was a near disaster comedy of errors. I shot a 3' Amberjack, didn't kill it outright, and got dragged all over hell's half acre. When we got home, the only knife we had to section it with was a Buck 110. Then we find out it was full of worms. After that I stuck with a little "lunch gun" and concentrated on harvesting only what fit on the grill. Lord but I do miss 3/7 in Panama. !Un Paraiso Verdadero!

mark46th
04-29-2009, 20:20
Hey!! I saw a shark as big as the one in Jaws! No lie! It was 1miie off the coast of Newport Beach, California. I was in a 23' boat. The fish was as long as the boat. Puckered me up good and tight....

ZonieDiver
04-30-2009, 08:39
Hey!! I saw a shark as big as the one in Jaws! No lie! It was 1mie off the coast of Newport Beach, California. I was in a 23' boat. The fish was as long as the boat. Puckered me up good and tight....

I think you probably needed a bigger boat! :p

mark46th
05-01-2009, 21:23
Absolutely...I haven't been in the water for more than 5 minutes ever since!!

ZonieDiver
05-22-2009, 13:11
Sunday, I board the "big iron bird" to Ft. Lauderdale. Bright and early on Monday morning, I board a "little iron bird" (with a much better glide ratio - as long as there is no icing! :D) for George Town, Great Exuma, Bahamas. While I won't be seeing any marlin, I do plan to get in some spearfishing (hawaiin sling only - I can't hit anything with a pole spear) and "conching"! I just wish it were lobster season.

Back in about three weeks with all kinds of tales - some true, some lies, some somewhere in between. I'll enclose a couple pictures of the house I'll be housesitting. I wish I were there now. Where are those "transporters" when you need them? :)

Dozer523
05-22-2009, 13:39
the house I'll be housesitting. I wish I were there now. Where are those "transporters" when you need them? :)
HOUSESITTING? :eek: Oh the Horror, the horror. . . . You are the luckiest guy in the world. Housesitting in the bahamas. The horror. . .
Speaking of Transporters. See Star Trek before you go it is AWESOME!
"Is there a problem officer?":)
"4,5,6 . . . come back when you have 2 more.":D