PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf T1, T2, T3 -vs- Ranger & Tactical ??

JJ_BPK
02-04-2009, 06:42
I am always looking at folders, must have a doz or so, I am not a collector,, all my knives are EDC and look it..

EDC in the Conch Republic means your wearing flip-flops, shorts & a tee shirt, so heavy-bulky-large is not acceptable in public, unless your on your boat trying to impress the Touristas..

My current inventory of EDC includes CRKT M16-03T(shorts, 2.4oz), Al Mar Eagle w/ 3" blade (1980, dress), Al Mar Osprey(?) w/ 1.5" blade(1985, suit), SOG B60 multi-tool(2000, jeans), and a bunch of others.. Some for dress, some for jeans, or whenever..

And one more,, My 1969 Camillus,, "DEMO KNIFE",, it sits on my desk because I'm afraid to lose it,, it's my comfort tool..

The new folder will replace the B60 tool on the boat, I'll still carry the tool but in the tackle box or ruck while off-road. The folder will augment those times when I don't think I need a pistol, but more than the CRKT.

I would like to purchase a William Harsey folder. I think the T3 may be bigger than needed, so I'm concentrating on the T2, plane blade, w/utility scales.

My mind can be changed about the T3..

In doing my home work I have notices that over some time period there were changes in the product line and nomenclature,, I think??

The Lone Wolf Harsey T1 T2 & T3 started life with a center spine blade and I think they were called Tactical, which I think is sexy..

Then the blade was changed to flat grind and called Ranger

Then the G2 was added, basically a T2 Ranger with assisted opening.

Additionally, there were several types of plastic/rubber/black nylon scales/zytel,, and some very nice looking woods scales..

I noticed the Lone Wolf is cutting back available models, as Bill suggested, last month..

My question(s) to Bill or ....

1)is my history correct?

2)do the spine'd blade models have an advantage over flat grind??

3)any consciences on which scale material is more practical for EDC, to include use in slimy bait cutting and other less than perfect griping scenarios?

4)the G2 is sexy, but I think the T2 more practical,, need input??

I have no local toy store to go to and fondle examples, I'll buy on-line,, so your advice is paramount..

Thanks in advance..

Bill Harsey
02-04-2009, 09:49
Lone Wolf Knives has fully ended the Harsey "T" series.
Find 'em where you can.
The T-2 is a pretty good size.
The grind difference between the blade types is a top bevel or not. All are flat grinds.
The "single" grind blade has very good geometry for cutting and slicing.
The top grind style is for piercing.
Micarta would be best but the T-2 never had micarta scales, only the glass filled nylon ones. in black with texture.

I name the knife once, then it gets changed and then changed again. I hate that stuff.

JJ_BPK
02-04-2009, 10:20
Lone Wolf Knives has fully ended the Harsey "T" series.
Find 'em where you can.
The T-2 is a pretty good size.
The grind difference between the blade types is a top bevel or not. All are flat grinds.
The "single" grind blade has very good geometry for cutting and slicing.
The top grind style is for piercing.

Micarta would be best but the T-2 never had micarta scales, only the glass filled nylon ones. in black with texture.

I name the knife once, then it gets changed and then changed again. I hate that stuff.

That information is worth a fortune..

Thank you, Mr Harsey..

As I am not now, nor every was hi-speed,, the single grind is what I will go for.. I have yet to meet a fish, or frozen squid, or other critter that calls for piercing.. If I ever do, I would hope to have a .45 dia hole punch.

My only dilemma now is T2 or D2, and I suspect mamma's financial sway will guide me in that decision..

Bill Harsey
02-04-2009, 10:23
JJ_BPK,
Get the T-2, that way the 'cuda flopping around in your boat doesn't whack you in the side and auto open your knife in your pocket.

The Reaper
02-04-2009, 10:42
You sure that he might not have one hand busy with the fish, and need the D2 to open quickly in the other to cut something?:D

TR

JJ_BPK
02-04-2009, 11:31
As I am not now, nor every was hi-speed,, the single grind is what I will go for..

TR,, I'm going with Bill's suggestion,, the T2..

But,There are a couple stories that may have ended happier if the G2 was available..

1st Story:

About 15 yrs ago a guy got his 1st chance to go out the the oil platforms off North Florida spear fishing for grouper and AJ's. He purchased a new spear gun with 60 inch shaft, with the expectations of getting a shot at a big one.

He did, it was a 200 lb Nassau, his buddy watched the shaft pearce just behind the head, clean thru.

The grouper proceeded to sound,, in 1400 ft of water,, with the driver attached via a lanyard to the gun and shaft..

They never recovered either..

2nd Story:

One of the Key West sport charters was out with a big-buck customer after Marlin.

The guy wanted a trophy to mount so it was planned to skip or cut lose anything not at least 1000 lbs..

On the second day they lucked out. They hooked what was guessed to be one around 1200 lbs.

The fight was fierce, lasting almost two(2) hours.

As they finally wore the fish down,, thinking the fish dead, they reeled him up to the boat.

The mate started to hand roll the 30ft long 400 lb mono leader.

It's done in a similar fashion to what we were taught to do a chute, in jump school.

If done properly, you can dump it in a clean pile on the deck by just pointing your arms down..

Another mate secured the rod via safety strap, in the gunnel and locked the drag.

The boat never shopped,, so the Marlin was getting fresh water over his gills..

He woke up, made one thrashing jump, snapped the 130 mono, and sounded..

With the mate still tied to the leader,, never to be seen again..

Net Net,, there is someone out there that needs a G2..

But not this FOG...

If I had one,,

I'd only use it to telling fishing stories...

:D:D:D:D

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

T2, it will be...

72_Wilderness
02-04-2009, 14:36
Mr. Harsey, are the rosewood handles made of glass filled nylon also or are they wood with a protective finish and gloss coat?

Bill Harsey
02-05-2009, 17:22
Mr. Harsey, are the rosewood handles made of glass filled nylon also or are they wood with a protective finish and gloss coat?

If it looks like wood, it's the real thing.

The black plastic handles are the glass filled nylon.

72_Wilderness
02-06-2009, 08:15
Thank you, it's a beautiful knife.

ZooKeeper
02-06-2009, 20:03
TR,, I'm going with Bill's suggestion,, the T2..

But,There are a couple stories that may have ended happier if the G2 was available..

1st Story:

About 15 yrs ago a guy got his 1st chance to go out the the oil platforms off North Florida spear fishing for grouper and AJ's. He purchased a new spear gun with 60 inch shaft, with the expectations of getting a shot at a big one.

He did, it was a 200 lb Nassau, his buddy watched the shaft pearce just behind the head, clean thru.

The grouper proceeded to sound,, in 1400 ft of water,, with the driver attached via a lanyard to the gun and shaft..

They never recovered either..

2nd Story:

One of the Key West sport charters was out with a big-buck customer after Marlin.

The guy wanted a trophy to mount so it was planned to skip or cut lose anything not at least 1000 lbs..

On the second day they lucked out. They hooked what was guessed to be one around 1200 lbs.

The fight was fierce, lasting almost two(2) hours.

As they finally wore the fish down,, thinking the fish dead, they reeled him up to the boat.

The mate started to hand roll the 30ft long 400 lb mono leader.

It's done in a similar fashion to what we were taught to do a chute, in jump school.

If done properly, you can dump it in a clean pile on the deck by just pointing your arms down..

Another mate secured the rod via safety strap, in the gunnel and locked the drag.

The boat never shopped,, so the Marlin was getting fresh water over his gills..

He woke up, made one thrashing jump, snapped the 130 mono, and sounded..

With the mate still tied to the leader,, never to be seen again..

Net Net,, there is someone out there that needs a G2..

But not this FOG...

If I had one,,

I'd only use it to telling fishing stories...

:D:D:D:D

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

T2, it will be...

Wow, those are some crazy stories. Thanks for sharing.

Also thanks to Bill for some great information. Between his previous thread stating they are being discontinued and this thread I might have to pick one of these blades up before they are gone.

JJ_BPK
02-06-2009, 20:29
Wow, those are some crazy stories. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, I tell them as stories to scare touristas,,

But they are true..

I can't source the scuba story, it is at least 15, maybe 20 yrs old.

But here is a link to a new harness most big game crews are now wearing to prevent crew drownings..

http://www.matesaver.com/1157.html

MateSaver® Safety Harness is a vital piece of equipment in your cockpit.

In recent years, we have lost five of our own while leadering big fish. Most extreme professional sports enforce safety equipment. Why should Big Game fishing be any different? Always be prepared for the unexpected..

It's not un-like a STABO rig..

These fish are not friendly..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-399046/Angler-speared-giant-fish.html
When he saw a companion on his boat hook a giant fish during a sea angling contest, Ian Card was delighted.

Next second, the scene of triumph turned to horror - as the 14ft blue marlin leapt out of the water across the vessel and speared Mr Card through the chest with its spiked bill.

The impact of the 800lb fish knocked him overboard into the Atlantic off Bermuda.

Then, with a thrash of its tail and with the 32-year-old still impaled and bleeding profusely, it dragged him underwater.

Terribly injured, he somehow stayed conscious as he struggled to pull himself free of the marlin's 3ft razor-sharp spike before he drowned.

Finally, he wrenched himself away and was rescued by his companions on the boat - who included his 58-year-old father Alan.

Yesterday, he told how his son surfaced with blood pumping from his wound. 'He put his hand up to his chest and his fingers disappeared :eek:

Bill Harsey
02-08-2009, 19:10
JJ_BPK,
Great posts here. One of the things I really like about this place is there is no predicting what information will be presented.
This is the "Edged Weapons" area, it doesn't say anything about said edged weapons having to be used by humans. ;)

Harv
03-01-2009, 00:32
Mr Harsey
I finaly got a T2 and absoulutely love it. It is my EDC.
My question is in the sharpening of the blade. I use a Lansky sharpener as I have found it one of the only ones I can use with very good results.

What sharpening angle would you recommend? 17 , 20 0r 25 degrees?

Thanks

Bill Harsey
03-02-2009, 10:16
What sharpening angle would you recommend? 17 , 20 0r 25 degrees?

Thanks

Harv,
The Lansky works because it mechanically keeps the stone at a very consistent angle.
I have never, not once, measured the angle of any knife edge. This is not a cavalier statement.
When making a knife I choose an alloy of steel, heat treat and blade geometry for a given range of jobs then make the edge as sharp as it can be and still hold up. This is done the only way I know, using trial and error and feel.

Here is another way of looking at this, if an edge is too acute it will not stand up to hard work. The next step is to slightly change the angle of the sharpening bevels to less acute.
If the edge is too blunt, it will not cut.
In the past I have made brass gauges for the professional ax men to judge exactly the included angles of the edges of competition axes as they are doing the final grinding work. These angles were from 12 to 20 degrees and after all the hand stoning steps, will go to work that sharp.

My best guess would be to try the 20 degree angle on your Lansky rig.
Remember it will take some work to overcome the factory edge because these are done on a round wheel.
Keep us posted.

Harv
05-10-2009, 21:55
Sharpening update..

Got the blade to 20 degree and this thing cuts like a light saber.. I now have it shaving hair off my forearm..... I think the 20 degree is the ticket.. thanks for the information... and this knife is still my EDC favorite... I feel Naked when I don't have it on me... I should buy another one and stash it away....;)