PDA

View Full Version : Interesting story about a Marine Sniper....

greenberetTFS
02-02-2009, 13:12
http://oldbluejacket.com/CarlosHathcock.htm

GB TFS :munchin

f50lrrp
02-02-2009, 14:02
I hosted Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock and the FBI team from San Frrancisco at a seminar at Fort Ord, CA in 1990. One of the co-hosts asked Hathcock if he wanted to meet Clint Eastwood (a Monterey Bay local). Hathcock replied "How many men has he killed?"

Red Flag 1
02-02-2009, 14:05
BT,

Great post!!

I have a book about Carlos around here somewhere, Marine Sniper I believe is the title. Time to read it.

Thanks again.

RF 1

nmap
02-02-2009, 18:02
Amazing. Thank you, Sir, for posting this.

Hostile0311
02-03-2009, 05:40
Thank you Sir for posting this,
GySgt Hathcock is a Marine Corps legend. There is a book, "One Shot, One Kill" detailing his early life as well as his exploits. I believe there are also a few others. There are obviously more guys out there with more confirmed kills, but some of his feats of marksmanship are truly amazing. There is some controversy as to the "thru the scope shot". Quite a few people seem to think it impossible. I won't comment on "Mythbusters" as I believe these 2 clowns, although entertaining, were not of the caliber of marksman as Gunny Hathcock. Winning the Wimbledon cup is no easy feat after all. Mounting a scope on a .50 cal MG and taking out a point target at 2500 yds is also a nifty piece of shooting. If I am not mistaken, he also did a lot for various Multiple Sclerosis foundations. A very remarkable man and great Marine we Jarheads respect and admire and if possible, wish to emulate.

craigepo
02-09-2009, 10:26
It has been a long time, but I seem to remember a story about Mr. Hathcock.
When I was in 2/75(late 80s-early 90s) we were sending guys to the Marine Corps sniper school. These gentlemen reported that Hathcock worked there some; moreover, he had a beautiful daughter. Hathcock informed all of the young rangers that they could not even look at his daughter until they became SF qualified.
Like I said, it has been a long time, but it would sound appropriate for a stud like Hathcock.

dr. mabuse
02-09-2009, 17:13
I spent ~ 5 hours with Gunny near Virginia Beach a few years before he died.
What a great guy. Learned a hell of a lot from him.

He related how he hated the movies that ripped-off things he had done, especially the shot through the scope. I asked him how far was that shot as the distance was not stated in the book. He said, per the map, "500 meters".

He had a fine sense of humor. While we were talking, a woman that looked exactly like Linda Vaughn, the Hurst shift girl with big hair, high boots, painted-on tee shirt and hot pants, walked past us from right to left. Our eyes followed her from east to west, then we just sat there quietly.

Then he swings his head toward me and says out of the corner of his mouth,
" Don't say nuthin'! It'll just ruin the story!" :D

Puertoland
02-09-2009, 20:49
What an excellent warrior.

Thanks for the post.