PDA

View Full Version : a question about the Green Beret

phantom1984
01-29-2009, 03:33
I have read that the Green Beret prefer not to call themselves Green Beret.They prefer the name Special Forces. Isn't that what The Rangers,Navy Seals,so on and so forth go bY?? Im really confused and i checked int the search section and couldn't find anything on this please explain please.

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-29-2009, 06:14
The Green Beret is the Head gear, We ARE the only "Special Forces" in the US Military. The rest of the troops you refer to fall under the moniker of Special Operations forces, often miscalled Special Forces by the ignorant. Generally we all fall under the Spec Ops call sign. Blitzzz

The Reaper
01-29-2009, 06:17
I have read that the Green Beret prefer not to call themselves Green Beret.They prefer the name Special Forces. Isn't that what The Rangers,Navy Seals,so on and so forth go bY?? Im really confused and i checked int the search section and couldn't find anything on this please explain please.

The Search button is your friend.

This topic has been discussed here many times.

TR

JJ_BPK
01-29-2009, 06:37
To add:

1)Special Forces is a "branch" of the Army, like the Artillery, Adjutant General, Quartermaster, Signal, Medical, Infantry, a separate branch..

2)One has to earns the MOS(military occupational specialty) used by the Special Forces Branch.

3)Army personal who earn an SF MOS, are required to wear their uniforms as prescribed in AR 670-1, 3-5.a Headgear, pg 18, 3 February, 2005

(5) Green beret.
(a) If approved by local commanders, all Special Forces-qualified personnel those carrying the Special Forces MOSs of 18A or 180A, CMF 18, and CSMs reclassified from 18Z to OOZ) are authorized to wear the green beret. This includes senior and junior ROTC instructors and those attending training at an Army service school in a student status (for example, CGSC, DLI, or USASMA).
(b) Special Forces personnel will wear the approved flash of the unit to which they are assigned. Special Forces personnel who are assigned to an organization without an approved flash will wear the generic SF flash (the flash approved for personnel assigned to SF positions, but not assigned to SF units).

4)You will see, even here on PS.com, instances where people quote news articles "Green Beret..... ", this does not imply condoning the wrong term, just use as written.

Net Net,, a green beret hat is a piece of gear...

Dozer523
01-29-2009, 08:01
This is interesting . . .
(5) Green beret.
(a) If approved by local commanders, all Special Forces-qualified personnel those carrying the Special Forces MOSs of 18A or 180A, CMF 18, and CSMs reclassified from 18Z to OOZ) are authorized to wear the green beret. This includes "This includes senior and junior ROTC instructors and those attending training at an Army service school in a student status (for example, CGSC, DLI, or USASMA).
(b) Special Forces personnel will wear the approved flash of the unit to which they are assigned. Special Forces personnel who are assigned to an organization without an approved flash will wear the generic SF flash (the flash approved for personnel assigned to SF positions, but not assigned to SF units).

What is the generic flash?
I've actually been approached about the JROTC thing (I'm a teacher in Real Life).

GreenSalsa
01-29-2009, 08:52
I only know about it because we were threatened with it when we arrived at NPS...they recanted and allowed us to wear our former units patches and flashes.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/graphics/Image4219.gif

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/graphics/Image4219.gif

lksteve
01-29-2009, 08:53
What is the generic flash?
I've actually been approached about the JROTC thing (I'm a teacher in Real Life).Lookee here..

http://www.iragreen.com/view/2054/.

VVVV
01-29-2009, 13:27
I find it (Referring to someone as a Green Beret) to be much ado about nothing.

A number of years ago as I was boarding a flight to Raleigh, I noticed the late LTG (Ret) William Yarborough sitting in the row in front of my assigned seat. I said hello to the general and was engaged in some small talk, when his traveling companion came down the isle. General Yarborough proceeded to introduce me to his friend as "an old Green Beret". I don't believe that there's a sane man amongst us who would have told the general that he was wrong to do so.

Proud to be an old Green Beret. :cool:

Scimitar
01-29-2009, 13:35
I've actually been approached about the JROTC thing (I'm a teacher in Real Life).

I thought SF was real life and everyone else is just living a day-dream. :D

S

phantom1984
01-29-2009, 15:08
The Search button is your friend.

This topic has been discussed here many times.

TR
Im sorry but as i stated i tried the search button. Maybe i was typing in the wrong topic ????
Thanks for all the input it explains a lot.

Pete
01-29-2009, 18:43
Im sorry but as i stated i tried the search button. Maybe i was typing in the wrong topic ????
Thanks for all the input it explains a lot.

Type "Green Beret" into the search feature and you'll get page after page of threads. Get back with us after you're read them all.

CRad
01-31-2009, 16:45
I find it (Referring to someone as a Green Beret) to be much ado about nothing.

A number of years ago as I was boarding a flight to Raleigh, I noticed the late LTG (Ret) William Yarborough sitting in the row in front of my assigned seat. I said hello to the general and was engaged in some small talk, when his traveling companion came down the isle. General Yarborough proceeded to introduce me to his friend as "an old Green Beret". I don't believe that there's a sane man amongst us who would have told the general that he was wrong to do so.

Proud to be an old Green Beret. :cool:

Good story. Being called a Green Beret is not an insult. It's a matter of knowing who you are and what you are. It does no good to insist on not being called something if your target audience knows nothing else.

Dozer523
01-31-2009, 17:42
I thought SF was real life and everyone else is just living a day-dream. :D

S
True, true. But we grow old (if not weery). Full time with the Guard is my unreal life right now.

Utah Bob
04-04-2009, 08:23
In '67 I actually had a lady ask me if I was in the Canadian Army. :eek:

Richard
04-04-2009, 08:48
When reading this, keep in mind that this was pre-COO. ;)

Setting: Funeral in Raleigh-Durham for an SF soldier KIA in RVN 1972. Our ODA from the 7th SFG on burial detail.

Background: Family of KIA did not want the African-American NCOs on our team to participate. Some debate over this and the funeral went as scheduled.

Post-Op: An older relative came over to us and apologized for the behavior of the Klan-oriented (literally) members of the family. Trying to make small talk, she asked one of the African-American NCOs, a veteran 12B, if he was really a Green Beret. He took off his beret, held it out towards her, and told her in a matter-of-fact voice, "No, ma'am - this is a Green Beret...I'm a n*****." Silence - a rush to the bus and a hilarious journey back to Fort Bragg.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Pete
04-04-2009, 15:25
[QUOTE=Richard;257884... "No, ma'am - this is a Green Beret...I'm a n*****."... [/QUOTE]

SFC Gore, senior commo on IIRC 573, said that on the ski slope outside McCall Idaho in 1975. And got about the same reaction

He smoked a pipe and had a great sense of humor.

Richard
04-04-2009, 15:34
SFC Gore

:D Gore (previously in the 7th) - wry sense of humor. He palled with Thompson, both Browns, Stubbs, Charlie Tuna, Hall, and crowd. Gore liked vodka IIRC.

Richard's $.02 :munchin