PDA

View Full Version : An amazing inaugural photo

nmap
01-24-2009, 23:20
The link goes to a photo image that is, in my opinion, an exceptional feat of technology. The entire photo is 1,474 Megapixels, with a size of nearly 2 Gigabytes. You can view the entire area - or, you can zoom in on an individual face. You can't quite read the music in front of individual band members.

The image at the link is relatively small, so it loads quickly. You can then pan to areas of interest and zoom in as close as you wish.

I placed the post in General Discussion because the key point is the photography.

LINK (http://www.davidbergman.net/blog/2009/01/22/how-i-made-a-1474-megapixel-photo-during-president-obamas-inaugural-address/)

JJ_BPK
01-25-2009, 05:49
Thanks NMAP

Amazing what you can do these days with digital toys..

I noticed Michelle must have been freezing. She is the only lady on the dais
without a heavy coat. Mrs B, on th other hand has a lap blanket..

Additionally it looks like the SCJ and a bunch of the other dignitaries, are sleeping???

Love it... :D

Saoirse
01-25-2009, 09:24
Wow! Amazing technology... I love looking at things like that. I zoomed all over that photograph.
Thanks for posting that. Very interesting. :)

Cynic
01-25-2009, 13:06
Amazing photo, but I have a question. Does anyone else see a double image of the head of the man with the blue tie seated to the back left of Jimmy Carter? Is it my computer, or did he move his head that quickly while the photo was snapped?

Shar
01-25-2009, 13:44
That is really cool.
I think GHWB (Bush #41) has the best headgear on ever. You can tell he and Barbara are totally without the need to preen. They were cold and dangit - they wore appropriate gear. I admire practicality.

Red Flag 1
01-25-2009, 14:19
nmap,

Great!

There are 2.5 heads on two torsos next to Barbara Bush.

Was Hilary playing with her cell phone, or flipping POTUS after Ford the bird?:D

RF 1

Penn
01-25-2009, 14:32
What I find interesting is the power of magnification. You can zoom in on the building across the mall and see the four guys very clearly on the right hand corner of the building. If this is civilian technology …..check out the roof lines.

Dozer523
01-25-2009, 16:11
Amazing photo, but I have a question. Does anyone else see a double image of the head of the man with the blue tie seated to the back left of Jimmy Carter? Is it my computer, or did he move his head that quickly while the photo was snapped? I noticed that guy. . . Might be a really bad toupe' though. Did you see the 'cyclops' near the Generals? It must have been motion . . . "OK EVERYONE! on three. . . one . . .two . . . three." CLICK.
"Awwww darn, I think I blinked."
"Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too."

Red Flag 1
01-25-2009, 16:20
Dozer,

About the third tier up, over the right shoulder of BHO, Newt Gingrich can be seen staring dead on at the camera. Perhaps he was one of the few that really knew what was going on that day.:D

RF 1

SF-TX
01-25-2009, 17:11
I was looking forward to seeing the photo, but the ISP has suspended the account.

"This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota "

RTK
01-25-2009, 17:44
I was looking forward to seeing the photo, but the ISP has suspended the account.

"This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota "

Check here (http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=15374).

Gypsy
01-25-2009, 18:04
Great find!

SF-TX
01-25-2009, 18:08
Check here (http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=15374).

Thanks.

Sdiver
01-25-2009, 18:17
Anyone see the guy picking his nose ???
He's in the 10,145th row, about 356th from the left.

And those damn Texans, with their bloody flag. :rolleyes:

.....and I'm not quite sure, but I think I can see someone getting mugged....it is D.C. after all. ;)

Cynic
01-25-2009, 18:24
I noticed that guy. . . Might be a really bad toupe' though. Did you see the 'cyclops' near the Generals? It must have been motion . . . "OK EVERYONE! on three. . . one . . .two . . . three." CLICK.
"Awwww darn, I think I blinked."
"Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too." "Me Too."

OK, doh! :o

And here I thought the digital era ended all that blurry stuff!

The Reaper
01-25-2009, 18:28
What I find interesting is the power of magnification. You can zoom in on the building across the mall and see the four guys very clearly on the right hand corner of the building. If this is civilian technology …..check out the roof lines.

That was the first thing I did.

Scan the rooflines for people in black trying not to be conspicuous.

TR

armymom1228
01-25-2009, 19:04
That is really cool.
I think GHWB (Bush #41) has the best headgear on ever. You can tell he and Barbara are totally without the need to preen. They were cold and dangit - they wore appropriate gear. I admire practicality.

The temp with wind chill factored in, was around 14 degrees and windy.

The Reaper
01-25-2009, 19:48
.....and I'm not quite sure, but I think I can see someone getting mugged....it is D.C. after all. ;)

A taxpayer, no doubt.

TR

BoyScout
01-25-2009, 22:00
Is it me or does Justice Thomas look asleep?

Sigaba
01-26-2009, 00:00
Is it me or does Justice Thomas look asleep?

BoyScout--

FWIW, that was my take on Associate Justice Thomas. The extent to which his nomination was scrutinized by the media compared to the degree which the forty fourth president escaped such inquiry is telling.

Meanwhile, Associate Justice Scalia looks like he's intently analyzing the president's address.

The Reaper
01-26-2009, 09:35
BoyScout--

FWIW, that was my take on Associate Justice Thomas. The extent to which his nomination was scrutinized by the media compared to the degree which the forty fourth president escaped such inquiry is telling.

Meanwhile, Associate Justice Scalia looks like he's intently analyzing the president's address.

I thought Scalia's hat was a hoot.

TR

afo417
01-26-2009, 18:46
What an awesome photo, thanks for the link.

Reminds me of playing "Where's Waldo" with the kids.

Dozer523
01-26-2009, 19:19
That was the first thing I did.
Scan the rooflines for people in black trying not to be conspicuous.TR
We were there. There were two or three on every roof (Except maybe the steep part of the Smithsonian castle). Most stayed low and still but a few were walking around up there. On the ground there was a Guardsman about every 3 meters all the way around the mall perimeter and then the outer ring. (Just ACUs) I had a feeling their stuff wasn't too far away. (Anyone remember when a soldier would never be seen on the public streets in "fatigues"?) Looking around, during the ceremony, I thought I spotted one plain clothes security person but couldn't be sure. I wonder how many were in the crowd. That was the only thing I wondered about was a suicide bomber in the midst. I think someone could have done that. But there were lots of dogs that probably sniffed every square inch the night befoe. Along the parade route (if you could even get in to go through the airport security) there were State Partol Officers standing three deep and practically double arms length apart. The President's car was completely boxed by Suburbans.

bravo22b
01-27-2009, 12:20
I was there, too - one of the National Guard guys in ACU's on the Mall. We were stationed at 15th St. just to the east of the Washington Monument. I can assure you that we were unarmed, and our weapons were safe in our armory in Baltimore. We were forbidden to even have knives over 2" in length. We were, however, deputized as "Special Police":rolleyes:. Believe me, it was very "special".

To be fair, most people were very courteous, and we got a lot of "thank you for your service". There were actually quite a few people who wanted their picture taken with us.

That being said, there were a lot of people who were completely inappropriately dressed, and wanted us to provide them warmth and shelter. I saw two women in the space of ten minutes with infants who were not nearly bundled up enough, and were obviously suffering from the cold. It was clear that there was a real sense of entitlement amongst many of the attendees.

The only other problem we had was that people had the totally unrealistic expectation of being able to exit quickly after his speech. I guess it did not occur to them that since it took 7 hours for that many people to get in there, it was not going to empty in 10 minutes. We were nearly overrun in the hour after the speech with people trying to jump our barricades and cross 15th St., which was closed to pedestrians except at our controlled crossing point.

Lastly, for a bunch of tree-hugging peace lovers, the amount of trash that was thrown on the ground was absolutely obscene. It was not for lack of trash cans, just people being idiots in a huge crowd.

It could have been a lot worse, but once was enough for me.

afchic
01-27-2009, 15:29
I was there, too - one of the National Guard guys in ACU's on the Mall. We were stationed at 15th St. just to the east of the Washington Monument. I can assure you that we were unarmed, and our weapons were safe in our armory in Baltimore. We were forbidden to even have knives over 2" in length. We were, however, deputized as "Special Police":rolleyes:. Believe me, it was very "special".

To be fair, most people were very courteous, and we got a lot of "thank you for your service". There were actually quite a few people who wanted their picture taken with us.

That being said, there were a lot of people who were completely inappropriately dressed, and wanted us to provide them warmth and shelter. I saw two women in the space of ten minutes with infants who were not nearly bundled up enough, and were obviously suffering from the cold. It was clear that there was a real sense of entitlement amongst many of the attendees.

The only other problem we had was that people had the totally unrealistic expectation of being able to exit quickly after his speech. I guess it did not occur to them that since it took 7 hours for that many people to get in there, it was not going to empty in 10 minutes. We were nearly overrun in the hour after the speech with people trying to jump our barricades and cross 15th St., which was closed to pedestrians except at our controlled crossing point.

Lastly, for a bunch of tree-hugging peace lovers, the amount of trash that was thrown on the ground was absolutely obscene. It was not for lack of trash cans, just people being idiots in a huge crowd.

It could have been a lot worse, but once was enough for me.

I have a friend who was a "Joint Task Force Commander" for this and he had some pretty interesting stories to tell. He and his 300 guardsmen where stationed in NE DC. A 20 year cop told him it is the first time in his memory this was the first night there was not a drive by/murder/armed robbery or any other littany of serious crimes in the area. I guess having a guardsmen standing on every street corner in the area will put a damper on those looking for trouble.

He did get to see some lesbian hookers get in to a fist fight in the McDonald's parking lot!!!!

Ret10Echo
02-06-2009, 12:22
300 guardsmen where stationed in NE DC. A 20 year cop told him it is the first time in his memory this was the first night there was not a drive by/murder/armed robbery or any other littany of serious crimes in the area.

[QUOTE]

:munchin

Killings spiked in SE D.C. during inauguration week
By Bill Myers
Examiner Staff Writer 2/6/09

As tens of thousands partied at inaugural balls across Washington on the night of Jan. 20, Terrance Johnson was shot dead for his shoes. The 26-year-old died in a parking lot near his apartment in one of the city’s poorest neighborhoods.
His home, the Meadowbrook Apartments, a high-rise building in the 3500 block of Sixth Street SE, typically has off-duty police officers patrolling the grounds.

“The night of the homicide we had no off-duty officers working due to the inauguration,” property manager Cynthia Bertolotti told police Assistant Chief Diane Groomes in a Feb. 2 e-mail obtained by The Examiner.

Every police officer in the city was ordered to work 12-hour shifts for the days leading up to and following President Obama’s inauguration. Hundreds of officers were ordered to cancel off-duty job assignments and were instead concentrated in D.C.’s downtown and bar districts.

Critics — including Councilman Phil Mendelson, D-At Large, and police union chairman Kris Baumann — had warned city leaders that the deployment and D.C.’s extended bar hours would leave vulnerable neighborhoods further exposed.

Between Jan. 19 and Jan. 24 — the days when the officers were working their inaugural assignments — there were four homicides in Ward 8, police statistics show.

D.C.’s eighth ward, where Johnson lived and died, is the city’s most violent. But inauguration week was deadlier than usual. According to D.C. crime statistics, the ward averaged about one homicide per week last year.

According to court papers, police learned about Johnson’s death thanks to ShotSpotter technology, which alerts authorities when someone fires a gun. Officers found his body in a parking lot, not far from his car. His shoes had been stripped off his feet.

After his shooting, building manager Bertolotti asked Groomes for crime cameras on the premises and also asked her to step up patrols.

“Please consider this,” she wrote, “for the safety of all our residents, employees and children in the area.”