PDA

View Full Version : Retired U.S. Army Sgt. Maj. Frederick William Gremm

SRGross
01-23-2009, 09:40
Frederick W. Gremm
FAYETTEVILLE - Retired U.S. Army Sgt. Maj. Frederick William Gremm, of 3304 Guilford Place, passed away Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2009, in Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Mr. Gremm was a World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War veteran. He served his country with honor for more than 30 years prior to retiring. He served two three-year tours of duty in the occupation of Germany, 1956-58 and 1966-68. Mr. Gremm joined the Green Berets of the U.S. Army in 1961. He went to South Vietnam in 1970, and returned to the United States in April 1971 to Fort Benning Ga. He retired as a sergeant major from the Army on June 30, 1973. Mr. Gremm went on to work for the postal system and carried mail for 14 years here in Fayetteville. When he retired he stated, "I am now my own boss: I take care of my house and yard and travel some," and spend time with my loving family. Mr. Gremm was the recipient of the National Service Defense medal with Oak Leaf Cluster; Combat Infantryman Badge; Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze Stars; and numerous other medals and commendations. He was preceded in death by his parents Conrad and Mabel Gremm. Mr. Gremm is survived by his wife, Lela Mae Snead Gremm of the home; son, Eric Conrad Gremm of Tyngsboro, Mass.; daughters, Rebecca Gremm Wiggins and husband Greg of McDonough, Ga., and Lea Ann Gremm Rothberg and husband Alan of Davidson; and grandchildren, Ben Gremm and wife Lauren, Lela Gremm, Steven Wiggins and Chris Wiggins. The family will receive friends from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 24, 2009, at Rogers and Breece Funeral Home in Fayetteville prior to the service. A service will be conducted at 1p.m. Saturday, Jan. 24, 2009, in Rogers and Breece Funeral Home chapel, with Chaplain Archie Barringer officiating. Interment will follow in Lafayette Memorial Park with the rendering of full military honors. Services entrusted to Rogers and Breece Funeral Home of Fayetteville.

Soft Target
01-23-2009, 10:00
"Mr. Gremm was the recipient of the National Service Defense medal with Oak Leaf Cluster; Combat Infantryman Badge; Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze Stars; and numerous other medals and commendations."

I have to assume this is an unintentional understatement about his awards. This is what happens when non-military people write obits.

RIP, Hero.

greenberetTFS
01-23-2009, 11:55
RIP, Warrior................:(

GB TFS

JJ_BPK
01-23-2009, 12:08
RIP, Vaya con Dios

Red Flag 1
01-23-2009, 12:44
Rest in Peace SGM Gremm!!

Thank You for your service.

Prayers out.

echoes
01-23-2009, 16:35
Your bravery and courage will not be forgotten Sir.

RIP.

Holly

SF_BHT
01-23-2009, 16:47
Rest in Peace SGM...............

Rogue
01-23-2009, 17:51
Rest in Peace Sgt. Maj.