PDA

View Full Version : Family

wiggy615
01-22-2009, 21:34
I understand that SF is deployed about 50% of the time but for those that have wives and children how do you get through it? How do you walk away from your kids? I dont mean that to be rude but how do you emotionally hold it together? no I'm not a sensitive wus I'm just a concerned father with many questions. How do you work it out with your wives?

I hope to hear from those that have experienced it, those that have comparisons and good advice. I guess I am hoping for some motivation in a way. If everything works out I hope to be getting in the pipeline in July of 2009.

Surgicalcric
01-22-2009, 23:12
The subject of family and SF has been discussed numerous times and unless your question(s) pertain to something that hasnt been previously discussed searching for and reading older threads on it will serve you fine.

SF is looking for self-motivated, hard working individuals who dont require supervision and who dont ask others to do their work for them. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the search button located in the upper right corner of the screen you are presently viewing. Before you do though you may want to read the stickies above every forum; they are there for your benefit.

Welcome to PS.com

Crip

Dozer523
01-22-2009, 23:25
I understand that SF is deployed about 50% of the time but for those that have wives and children how do you get through it? How do you walk away from your kids? I dont mean that to be rude but how do you emotionally hold it together? no I'm not a sensitive wus I'm just a concerned father with many questions. How do you work it out with your wives?

I hope to hear from those that have experienced it, those that have comparisons and good advice. I guess I am hoping for some motivation in a way. If everything works out I hope to be getting in the pipeline in July of 2009. Make sure your wife and children can accept "This is important, I'll be back."

Team Sergeant
01-23-2009, 08:14

I hope to hear from those that have experienced it, those that have comparisons and good advice. I guess I am hoping for some motivation in a way. If everything works out I hope to be getting in the pipeline in July of 2009.

The same way we "hold it together" while we:

jump out of airplanes
handle explosives
drop mortars
call in air strikes
work on a sucking chest wound
execute a hostage rescue
deal with locals that would like to kill us
swim in totally black water
fast rope from 100+ feet fully loaded
get shot at
help our wounded buddies

I could go on and on. You get the point.
Learn to control your emotions or they will control you.

Team Sergeant

The Reaper
01-23-2009, 08:38
Concur with Crip.

Do your research before starting new threads.

This horse has been beaten to death before.

BLUF-if you are overly worried about it now, and contemplating crying about it, you are probably not going to make it in SF.

TR

RT AXE 10
01-23-2009, 08:43

Plan, develope and issue a family op plan... Prioritize and keep objectives simple...delegate responsibilities, be just and fair, attention to detail on coordinating instructions... provide the family with resources... conduct rehearsals... Kiss the wife goodbye and hug your young ones. Stay focused, Get the job done.... Return home.

exsquid
01-23-2009, 19:21
It aint on you troop. It is one your wife. She holds it together, not you. If you choose the right woman, the family runs smooth. You choose the wrong woman, it becomes a nightmare.

x/S

phantom1984
01-24-2009, 05:05
Not being military i would think it would be like a truck driver going over the road for a month or so at a time. I used to be a truck driver and my family missed me but it all worked out.

greenberetTFS
01-24-2009, 06:09
It aint on you troop. It is one your wife. She holds it together, not you. If you choose the right woman, the family runs smooth. You choose the wrong woman, it becomes a nightmare.

x/S

x/S,Your absolutely right......She's the glue that keeps it all together. :D

GB TFS :munchin

Scimitar
01-24-2009, 13:06
If momma ain’t happy, no body's happy.

And if momma can't be happy during trials and tribulations, then nobody's gonna be happy for long.

My first question to any potential serious relationship has been,

"Man, I try to avoid hard times as much as I can, hell, what use is it living in the west if we can't avoid pain"

I've had some very interesting answers from that question. Some have made me politely put my napkin down and run as fast as I can. But not before paying the check on the way out of course :D

S

Dozer523
01-24-2009, 16:57
Not being military i would think it would be like a truck driver going over the road for a month or so at a time. I used to be a truck driver and my family missed me but it all worked out. Trust me, it's not that much like driving a truck.

lksteve
01-24-2009, 17:27
Dozer523 has it right...it ain't like driving a truck...you're not going to be making cornflakes...I could go on, but I won't...others have hit the nail on the head too...she has to be invested or it isn't going to work...and finally, from personal experience, the ex could handle me being away...after I retired, that's a whole 'nother ball game...the lifestyle isn't for many...and it has consequences long after you've done your part. I know as many men whose marriage went south after they retired as I do those whose spouse could't handle it while they were in...