PDA

View Full Version : Negligence caused soldier's electrocution

Ret10Echo
01-22-2009, 13:58
Army: Negligence caused soldier's electrocution
By KIMBERLY HEFLING, Associated Press Writer Kimberly Hefling, Associated Press Writer 41 mins ago
WASHINGTON – An Army investigation calls the electrocution death of a U.S. soldier in Iraq "negligent homicide" caused by military contractor KBR Inc. and two of its supervisors.

In a document obtained by The Associated Press, an Army criminal investigator says the manner of death for Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, 24, has been changed from accidental to negligent homicide because the contractor failed to ensure that "qualified electricians and plumbers" worked on the barracks where Maseth died.

The Green Beret from Pittsburgh died of cardiac arrest on Jan. 2, 2008. He was electrocuted while taking a shower in his barracks in Baghdad.

A spokesman for Houston-based KBR was not immediately available for comment.

albeham
01-22-2009, 14:05
Good.

nmap
01-22-2009, 14:14
Since it appears that KBR values money over the lives of soldiers, I hope the family sues the company for more money than I can imagine. And wins.

Pete
01-22-2009, 16:26
One of the two older threads

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17695&highlight=maseth

cornelyj
01-22-2009, 22:24
I followed this story cause it was such a shock for me... really; your in a battle zone and getting shot at and mortar attacks etc. and the effing shower and wrong wiring kills you! I am glad that someone is going to get it for this ridiculous mistake against a soldier.

RIP Staff Sgt. Maseth

ryno
01-23-2009, 13:18
Shortly before I left Balad last year, yes I know it was a cushy base to live on, KBR was grounding the fuse boxes in the chu's. My thought when I saw it was, how long have these trailers been here and they are just now grounding them. It's not like KBR isn't getting paid billions to take care of Joe over there.

Ret10Echo
02-03-2009, 05:19
AP NewsBreak: Sailor electrocuted
By KIMBERLY HEFLING, Associated Press Writer Kimberly Hefling, Associated Press Writer Mon Feb 2, 11:04 pm ET
WASHINGTON – A third U.S. service member has been determined to have been electrocuted in a shower in Iraq, and Navy criminal investigators are investigating, The Associated Press has learned.

Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class David A. Cedergren, 25, of South St. Paul, Minn., died Sept. 11, 2004, while showering. His family was told he died of natural causes.

Late last year, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology changed the manner of Cedergren's death to "accidental," caused by electrocution and inflammation of the heart. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service has reopened an investigation into his death, Ed Buice, a NCIS spokesman, said Monday.

Cedergren's death is among 18 electrocution deaths — 16 U.S. service members and two military contractors — under review as part of a Department of Defense Inspector General inquiry. Improperly installed or maintained electrical devices have been blamed in some of the deaths, while accidental contact with power lines caused others.

The inquiry primarily involves electrical work done at a facility where a Green Beret, Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, 24, of Pittsburgh, was electrocuted while showering in January 2008.

Cedergren — a medic — was found in an outdoor shower stall in Camp Iskandariyah, Iraq, not breathing and without a pulse.

His brother, Barry Cedergren, said his family initially suspected he'd been shocked because, according to reports shown to the family, witnesses told investigators that some service members had reported being shocked in the shower.

He said military investigators took a second look at the case after a request from former Sen. Norm Coleman, R.-Minn.

"We're looking further into what our options are," said Barry Cedergren, of Ramsey, Minn.

Maseth's death was initially considered accidental, but is now classified by Army investigators as "negligent homicide" caused by Houston-based contractor KBR Inc. and two of its supervisors. An Army investigator said the contractor failed to ensure that "qualified electricians and plumbers" did the work. The case is under legal review.

Last year, Maseth's family sued KBR in Allegheny County, Pa., alleging wrongful death. The case was moved to federal court in western Pennsylvania, where it is pending.

NCIS spokesman Buice said he could not comment on evidentiary issues such as who was maintaining the shower where David Cedergren died.

Another service member electrocuted in Iraq while showering in a U.S.-maintained facility was identified in a congressional report as Army Cpl. Marcos Nolasco, 34, of Chino, Calif. Investigators concluded he was electrocuted when an ungrounded water heater shorted, the report said.

FMF DOC
02-03-2009, 07:01
If you look into this you'll find that there are other deaths in the same manner. I was a witness to one such incident in Haqlaniyah Iraq. Exact same findings but no charges ever filed to my knowledge. This incident was in 2004 and we reported our finds to the CG. At that time they stated there were two other deaths under investigation for the same thing.

Ret10Echo
07-28-2009, 05:04
IG blames system failure in soldier's death
July 27, 2009

By KIMBERLY HEFLING
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Military leaders and a major military contractor failed to protect a Green Beret who was electrocuted while showering in his barracks in Iraq, the Defense Department's Inspector General determined in a report released Monday.

The early 2008 death of Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, 24, of Pittsburgh, triggered an investigation by the IG of Maseth's death, but also a review of 17 other electrocution deaths in Iraq. Uproar over it also led to the electrical inspections of about 90,000 U.S.-maintained facilities in Iraq, which are ongoing.

The inspector general says in its findings that "multiple systems and organizations" failed and exposed Maseth to "unacceptable risk."

Maseth was electrocuted while showering when he came in contact with an energized metal shower and hose caused by the failure of an ungrounded water pump located on the roof of the building, the IG said. It says military contractor KBR Inc., based in Houston, installed the pump and adjacent water tanks.

KBR did not ground equipment during installation or report improperly grounded equipment during routine maintenance, the inspector general said. It also says KBR did not have standard operating procedures for the technical inspection of facilities.

But it also says military commanders and key decision makers failed to ensure that renovations were properly performed and did not address the maintenance situation.

"Individuals and responsible officials underestimated the risk associated with continued, long-term use of ungrounded electrical systems in Iraqi-constructed facilities," the IG said.

Heather Browne, a KBR spokeswoman, said the company had not seen the report and would not comment on the contents. But she said in an e-mail that while Maseth's death was tragic the company maintains it is not responsible. She said KBR informed the military of the absence of grounding and bonding in the structure nine months before Maseth's death.

"Prior to that incident, the military never directed KBR to repair, upgrade or improve the grounding system in the building in which Maseth resided, nor was KBR directed to perform any preventative maintenance at this facility," Browne said.

Maseth's family has an ongoing lawsuit against KBR. It was initially told Maseth had brought a small appliance into the shower, then was told he'd reached up and grabbed wires hanging over the shower.

Cheryl Harris, Maseth's mother, said in a statement she read over telephone that she was pleased that the IG conducted the investigation.

"The results are revealing and contrary to what KBR and its president have continuously stated," Harris said.

Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., said KBR should be sanctioned or punished somehow, but the report also raises questions about oversight of contract work.

"There's much more work to be done to hold those responsible accountable," Casey said.

The IG also sounded alarm bells about the quality of the electrical work in facilities where troops live and work in Afghanistan, but said some positive improvements have been made to prevent electrical problems.

Of the 18 electrocution deaths of U.S. soldiers and contractors in Iraq, nine were blamed on touching live electrical wire or cables and didn't warrant further review by the IG, according to the summary. Eight involved possible equipment faults or malfunctioning that caused or contributed to the electrocutions, the IG found.

It says it asked military criminal investigations to reopen investigations into four of the deaths, and is still waiting for the results of the review.

One of the four, Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class David A. Cedergren, 25, of South St. Paul, Minn., died Sept. 11, 2004, while showering. His family was told he died of natural causes. Late last year, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology changed the manner of his death to "accidental," caused by electrocution and inflammation of the heart.

Last fall, Gen. David Petraeus, then the commander in Iraq, ordered an inspection of about 90,000 U.S.-maintained facilities in Iraq by a task force called Task Force SAFE. Of the 67,000 inspected so far, about 18,000 have been found to have major deficiencies. About 11,000 of the major deficiencies have been repaired, according to the task force.

csquare
07-28-2009, 07:27
Heather Browne, a KBR spokeswoman, said the company had not seen the report and would not comment on the contents. But she said in an e-mail that while Maseth's death was tragic the company maintains it is not responsible. She said KBR informed the military of the absence of grounding and bonding in the structure nine months before Maseth's death.

"Prior to that incident, the military never directed KBR to repair, upgrade or improve the grounding system in the building in which Maseth resided, nor was KBR directed to perform any preventative maintenance at this facility," Browne said.

So if KBR knew 9 months prior that this was a problem, why not just fix the f**king problem. Why does DoD have to come back and tell them to fix it?
My bad, KBR would need a workorder to complete the work, so they could bill DoD a couple of grand for work they should had done right the first time. Quite the scam.....

Sigaba
07-28-2009, 10:37

Ms. Browne's remark would have people believe that death is an acceptable "level of service."

Ms. Browne's comment is at variance with KBR's (alleged) values as an engineering firm. Those values, available here (http://www.kbr.com/corporate/mission_vission_and_values.aspx), were all the guidance KBR needed to address the issues without being asked, directed, or paid.
Our values solidify who we are and what we believe. KBR's values are:
* Uncompromising commitment to Health, Safety and Environment
* An open relationship with our employees based on mutual trust, respect and success
* Transparency, Accountability and Discipline in our business
* Best in class Risk Awareness
* Integrity in all we do
* Financial Responsibility to our stakeholders

Those members of the KBR team (including subcontractors as well as Ms. Browne) should have the opportunity to shower in the exact same conditions as the servicemen who have perished from their decision not to do their jobs.

The Reaper
07-28-2009, 11:05
My understanding is that the blanket specifications that every government contract requires would include the requirements that the work be safe, free from defects, and in compliance with the current international electrical code. Should you really have to specify that the work does not contain potentially lethal defects?

Frankly, inspectors should have caught this before the payment for the work was approved.

TR

echoes
07-28-2009, 11:22
My understanding is that the blanket specifications that every government contract requires would include the requirements that the work be safe, free from defects, and in compliance with the current international electrical code. Should you really have to specify that the work does not contain potentially lethal defects?

Frankly, inspectors should have caught this before the payment for the work was approved.

TR

TR Sir,

May I ask from a layman's standpoint, a question which may seem obvious?

(And let me say, I believe it is very simple in that KBR did not do its job)!:mad:

When a person/company is "contracted" by the U.S. military to do a job, such as install showers, does that person not have an obligation to perform the job, inspect the job, and clear the facility for use?

Am confued as to why this unfortunate SF Man's family was not immediately compensated by the contractor, for failure to provide a safe facility to use?:confused:

Holly:(

bost1751
07-29-2009, 06:48
I have to first say I strongly think KBR is at fault and liable for this. I am working on a government construction contract in India right now and what I se is criminal in my opinion, and nothing will come of it other than the normal numerous law suits over money.

From my understanding, the major contractors in iraq hired Indian labor because it is ridiculously cheap not to mention totally unskilled. The subs that performed the work were the pinpoint ffault for this uncalled incident. With that said, the general contractor is responsible for them.

What about the electrical engineer for the DOD that observed the work and signed off on it? Whose signature accepted the facility?

Placing blame will not bring these soldiers back. what it can do, in my opinion, highlight those unqualified workers, inspectors that failed to do their job and the general that probably paid off someone or bodies that caused this mess. Even if the arcitectural firm that designed the project omitted some things that should have been included, the government reviewed the plans and accepted them. then what about the RFIs and request fro modifications?
All
This think is a goat screw from every angle one can view it. All those that are responsible from the electricians, government electical engineer, inspector, wignatur accepting the facility and the owner/superentindent of the sub conpany and of course KBR need to be made an example of.

Ret10Echo
07-29-2009, 07:03
This think is a goat screw from every angle one can view it. All those that are responsible from the electricians, government electical engineer, inspector, wignatur accepting the facility and the owner/superentindent of the sub conpany and of course KBR need to be made an example of.

Contracting Officer (CO)
Contracting Technical Representative (COTR).....

I am sure that what will come out is that KBR did the work IAW the standards (or lack thereof) in the contract. The CO may not have had the background and there may not have had the right COTR I am far from expert but I would be interested to know if what was written was a "Statement of Work" or a "Statement of Requirements".

Because unfortuately they may have gotten exactly what they asked for.

armymom1228
07-29-2009, 08:09
I have to first say I strongly think KBR is at fault and liable for this. I am working on a government construction contract in India right now and what I se is criminal in my opinion, and nothing will come of it other than the normal numerous law suits over money.

From my understanding, the major contractors in iraq hired Indian labor because it is ridiculously cheap not to mention totally unskilled. The subs that performed the work were the pinpoint ffault for this uncalled incident. With that said, the general contractor is responsible for them.

What about the electrical engineer for the DOD that observed the work and signed off on it? Whose signature accepted the facility?

Placing blame will not bring these soldiers back. what it can do, in my opinion, highlight those unqualified workers, inspectors that failed to do their job and the general that probably paid off someone or bodies that caused this mess. Even if the arcitectural firm that designed the project omitted some things that should have been included, the government reviewed the plans and accepted them. then what about the RFIs and request fro modifications?
All

The company's name says it all for me.. Kellog BROWN AND ROOT. In the union construction industry they are synonomous with unskilled non union labor and crappy construction. I knew that back in the 1970's. It is a shame that they have the financial where with all to lobby Senators that have the ability to award these contracts. I wish the US Army would sue the pants off this company. They owe the Army for the training it expended on on SF guy, and they owe the ARmy for shoddy construction. Will it happen... probably not.
The family will get paid off, how much is one persons life worth anyway.. not enough in my book. It will be business as usual. Any corner that can be cut to get the job done they will take..

As the mom of a soldier, It makes my stomach turn to know that my son, and all the others around him and those who serve have this same potential to be harmed by one company's deliberately negligent behavior.

All the money on the planet won't make that young man come back from the grave.. RIP ssgt.. my heart goes out to your mom.
AM

swpa19
08-08-2009, 04:55
Re: The investigation of the death of Ryan Maseth:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_637341.html

The Reaper
08-08-2009, 10:36
Re: The investigation of the death of Ryan Maseth:

Looks like justice will have to be pursued in civil court.

TR

Ret10Echo
09-15-2009, 05:55
Dingy Harry....:munchin

Reid asks for investigation into electrocution
September 14, 2009

By KIMBERLY HEFLING
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on Monday asked the State Department and Pentagon to investigate the electrocution of a 25-year-old private security contractor while showering in his dormitory in Baghdad.

Reid said he wants to know whether Adam Hermanson's death resulted from faulty electrical work. Hermanson, who died Sept. 1, grew up in San Diego and Las Vegas. Reid is a Nevada senator.

Electrical wiring has been an ongoing problem in Iraq that the military has been trying to fix with widespread inspections and repairs. At least three troops have been electrocuted while showering since the start of the Iraq war, and others have been electrocuted elsewhere.

Reid made the request Monday in letters to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

Hermanson served three tours in Iraq with the Air Force. He'd recently left the military and was an employee of the Herndon, Va.-based private contractor Triple Canopy at the time of his death.

A request for comment was referred to the military in Baghdad, where the request was not immediately returned. Darby Holladay, a State Department spokesman, said Reid's letter had not yet been received.

Sigaba
02-24-2012, 03:27
Debbie Crawford, a member of the IBEW, worked for KBR in the Green Zone for two years. She blogs as Ms. Sparky <<LINK (http://mssparky.com/)>> and has kept track of this and similar cases.

Her posts related to SSG Maseth's death and subsequent litigation are available here (http://mssparky.com/category/iraq-electrocutions-safety/ssg-ryan-maseth-radwaniyah/).

Ret10Echo
12-27-2017, 12:36
Almost six years later, this is STILL an issue.

Pentagon IG shows pattern of fire, electrical hazards at overseas bases

By Jared Serbu

December 26, 2017 8:05 am

The IG’s latest report, describing a detailed health and safety inspection at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, found examples of warehouses and other buildings that the Air Force accepted from building contractors even though they didn’t meet DoD’s own standards for building safety, such as having fire sprinklers installed. Some of the failures to comply with construction requirements were in mission-critical facilities, including the base’s Combined Air and Space Operations Center and Wing Operations Center

Link here (https://federalnewsradio.com/dod-reporters-notebook-jared-serbu/2017/12/pentagon-ig-shows-pattern-of-fire-electrical-hazards-at-overseas-bases/)