PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

NousDefionsDoc
01-16-2009, 22:36
I am beginning research to buy a new computer. I am a huge Dell fan, they have always been good to me.

1. Laptop (notebook whatever)
2. Fast with lots of memory.
3. HS student and old man will be operators.
4. lots of word and PPT. Lots of surfing. Music and lots of video.
5. I will need an external monitor
6. Probably an external 2nd hard drive
7. not too big.

I was looking at the Dell mini, but I've never seen one. I do know I don't want to have to worry about memory ever again.

Suggestions?

Paslode
01-16-2009, 22:55
You might look at Durabook, I have been very pleased with mine.

PSM
01-16-2009, 23:24
I am beginning research to buy a new computer. I am a huge Dell fan, they have always been good to me.

Suggestions?

Do what I did...let the HS student pick it. I think that they're Borg now and know other things. :eek:

Pat

gits
01-17-2009, 01:51
Hey NDD, you should check out www.techbargains.com there are always deals on dell computers and laptops all the time. I think there are some 20% off coupons currently active if you are looking at getting one from dell.

greenberetTFS
01-17-2009, 02:59

1. Laptop (notebook whatever)
2. Fast with lots of memory.
4. lots of word and PPT. Lots of surfing. Music and lots of video.
5. I will need an external monitor
6. Probably an external 2nd hard drive
7. not too big.

I was looking at the Dell mini, but I've never seen one. I do know I don't want to have to worry about memory ever again.

Suggestions?

NousDefionsDoc,

Take a walk on the "wild side" and get an Apple laptop,I promise you'll never regret it.....;):):cool:

GB TFS :munchin

JJ_BPK
01-17-2009, 05:22
NousDefionsDoc,

Take a walk on the "wild side" and get an Apple laptop,I promise you'll never regret it..... GB TFS

I am going to say something that galls me,,

"buy apple" :mad:

MS Vista is a fiasco and should have never come to market,, Ver 8 looks to be an incremental version of Vista.

My personal opinion, You do not want Vista. My kids work for Northrop-Grumman and Accenture. They have been told no cooperate nor customers systems will use Vista. It is not stable for work use.

If you must have a new system with MS, buy one with Win XP Pro, best release they ever had.

If you purchase via Dell business or IBM-Lenovo, you can get system loaded with XP Pro.

As far as who's machine?? I pretty sure about 80% of all laptops are made by Lenovo. Just make sure it the business level not consumer level. Costs more, but that costs gets you better component quality. I also think Lenovo built Apple...

I purchased a new laptop from the Lenovo factory warehouse on eBay last Fall. It's was labeled "refurbished", but came with a 100% 1yr warranty. It's now 6 months old and screams..

I retired with 30 at IBM as a System Designer.

My 1st desk top was an IBM 1130 in 1973, 4k mem, APL/RPG, wt 1400 lbs..

My 1st laptop was an IBM 5100 in 1976, cpu = PALM, 16KB NMOS RAM , wt 28lbs, Basic/APL

I worked in Boca Raton from 1967-1997. I was part of the PC crowd from start to finish,, nuff said??

My current home brew: Intel 840D @ 3,4GHZ, P5WD2, 2GB PC6400, XP Pro.

And my new ThinkPad T61, 6465-9UU, T8300, 2.4GHz, 3gb ram, XP Pro, travel wt 6lbs

As far as options???

- Hard drive,, they are currently selling 100-500 GB drives,, I have a 100 GB on my laptop, with ALL my digital pictures, 35,000,, I only use about 30GB, this use to be a problem, but now they sell to much, remember,, big anything means shorter battery time and life.

- CPU,, all business systems will have a moderately fast CPU, again faster means battery usage.

- Memory,, 1GB is fine, 2GB and you will never run out,, 3GB+++ ?????

- Display,, I like the 15.4 inch 9-13 ratio for FOG eyes, But you may want smaller for portability, again smaller less battery,, but you may need to squint. Small display also means smaller keyboard..

- DVD-CD player,, don't let them talk you into so LaLaPolussa multi-media machine with all the bells and whistles. If you want a home theater,, buy one and install it in the basement...

If you had to read any of this twice,, by Apple... :mad:

It's not worth the effort to become a geek,, unless your are in the business.

You deserve a tool that provides stability and good warranty.

A PC is a tool,, NOT a career..

Good Luck,,

My $00.0002

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-17-2009, 07:34
I have had 5 MACs no failures, no viruses, plenty of speed and memory. Grossely smple to use. And I looking to buy a new one. Blitzzz

Kyobanim
01-17-2009, 07:42
Balancing cost and requirements can take a little bit of doing.

Is the boy going to play games on it?
Do you want a docking solution or just an external monitor?
3GB of memory is plenty, regardless of your OS, 4 is better.
Dual core intel or athelon 64 processor is what you should look for, bigger the number the better.

Dell mini will not give you the options you need, better to go with a Latitude unless you're gaming. If gaming is a requirement then you'll need to go with an XPS model. More money but you get more options that pertain to high school use. Dell does give you the option to get XP installed on your system.

Get your external monitor and HD from Sams, Compusa, tiger direct or one of those types of stores. You'll save a lot of money that way.

Dell has the best warranty on the planet, IMHO. get at least 3 years of standard warranty.

Plan on spending anywhere from $800 to $1500 for the laptop, depending on your options.

If you do go with Dell, consider leasing it. You'd be suprised what you can get for $20 to $30 a month on a lease.

Red Flag 1
01-17-2009, 07:48
Agree with PSM.

RF 1

doc22584
01-17-2009, 11:16
I totally agree with JJ in regards to Vista being a horrible Operating System. I purchased a brand laptop for the wife and it had Vista pre-installed on in. I got the "Blue Screen of Death" within the first 48 hours, and I didnt even hoop it up to the internet.

I would definately recommend a Mac. Something with at least 1GB of RAM and 100GB of Hard Drive space. Just buy a seperate hard drive for things you want to download and you should never run out of space on your laptop.

JustaSoldier
01-17-2009, 12:07
I mostly read what is posted on this board without reply or comment because I try to stay in my lane and soak up the knowledge. However, in this case I feel that I can make a legitimate and intellectual contribution. I have owned several laptops, both Apple and the other guys, and by far the benefit of having an Apple outweighs that of the others. Construction and durability are outstanding. I had a MacBook on my last stretch in country and it stood up to the abuse of moving, quite frequently I might add, from COP to COP. The MacBook and MacBook Pro laptops have a very tight and solid feel. They do not torsion like the mostly plastic laptops from Gateway or Dell ( I have owned both types) due to the fact that they have a mostly metallic casing, especially with the new generations. The specifics such as memory and hard drive can be configured much like that of any of the other brands, however I do feel that when I am actually using the laptop you can do more. By that I mean that I have had as many as ten windows open at one time and successfully working between them without lag or loss in productivity. I have never been able to do this on a straight PC laptop. Which brings me to my next point, the ability to have Windows running on the Apple laptop. This is beneficial because some of us that prefer the Mac still have to use software that is not written for both platforms, such as Pure Edge ( this is pretty much the only program that I use in Windows). Other software companies are catching up as far as writing programs for the Mac platform. Microsoft even has an Office package for the Mac.

I know it might sound like it, but I am not a Mac zealot. To me my laptop is the same as my Dewalt 18v drill, a tool. Having had the opportunity to own and use both I felt that I could provide some perspective on the subject.

-Resuming PT

Longstreet
01-17-2009, 13:29
Not sure if this would suit your needs, but you might want to check into a nettop computer. I purchased an Acer One 'nettop' computer last September and must say it is one of the best purchases I have made in a long time.

It is extremely portable (the screen is 8 inches) and is the size of a large hard cover novel (it fits in the thigh pocket of a pair of the old BDU's, but you cannot button them up).

It does not have an uber processor so playing the latest games or graphic intense programs is not possible; however for Internet, word processing, playing movies and presentations it is an awesome little computer. There are a number of operating systems that it can be run on (not Vista) including Windows XP - which I use. It has an amazing battery life of four hours. Mine has a 120G HD and 1G ram, but the newer one has a 160G HD.

I will admit though that if you have extremely large fingers, it may not be for you. The keyboard is little and when I use it for a prolonged period of time I use a Bluetooth mouse due to the size of the touchpad. Also, it does not have an opical drive so installing programs can be tricky. Still for the price ($350CDN) I cannot complain.

As mentioned I think this computer is great and because of its size, I take it about everywhere I go. With a USB GPS plugin I have used it in the car and will be taking it on my next backpacking trek.

You mentioned the Dell mini which is Dell's verion of the Acer One. These computers have been increasing in popularity due to the $100.00 laptop computer program for African children. What is great about the Dell computer is that it has a flash HD. This makes it more rugid since there are no moving parts. The down size is that the HD is limited to 16G (last time I checked). Flash drives have been predicted to be the future of HD's, but you may find it too limiting in size.

One last thing the Acer one comes in a variety of colours including: brown, blue. white and pink for those of us in touch with our femine side . . .

SYRUS_086
01-17-2009, 21:06
First off, I agree with QP - JJ_BPK. If your not into wanting to dive into the world of computers I would go either Apple or if you want to stay with microsoft go Dell

I have spent a long time working with and building computers and I highly suggest taking a look at www.tomshardware.com . There is a plethora of information on that website regarding building and buying parts for a custom computer. There are articles regarding which desktops to buy for the best price/performance.

The individual parts are listed below if you know someone who can build a computer or if your are willing to build one yourself. If building a custom computer is not something you want to dive into, I would recommend going to www.slickdeals.net where they have all kinds of posts about good deals through Dell, HP, MAC, etc.

If you decide to build a custom computer id suggest buying the listed parts from www.newegg.com I have done business with them for years and have been extremely happy with their fast and reliable service.

I would also inform you to go XP and not VISTA. Keep in mind, If you have more than 3GB of ram, you will have to go with VISTA. xp will only recognize up to approximatly 3.5 GB.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Syrus

P.S. - Here is a listing for Dell

Dell Outlet has a new 20% off coupon 71VCK2RMH1MPL7 valid on all Dell Studio desktop PCs $299 or more (excluding Studio XPS). Thanks arty62fd and rxy111psu

Note, configurations change during the day without notice, and may be available for slightly better or slightly worse prices, and inventory is replenished regularly

Sample configurations:

Studio Desktop Mini Tower $569 - 20% off coupon = $455 with free shipping

* Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
* 6 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)
* 750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
* 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 supporting HDMI
* 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
* 16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
* Microsoft Works 9.0
* USB Optical two button mouse
* USB Multimedia Keyboard

Studio Desktop Slim Tower $419 - 20% off coupon = $335

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor E7200 (3MB L2, 2.53GHz, 1066FSB)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
* 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)
* 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
* V.90/56K PCI DataFax Modem
* 16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
* USB Premium Optical 5-Button Mouse
* Software Upgrade
* Microsoft Works 9.0

Studio Hybrid Desktop $389 - 20% off coupon = $311

* Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
* 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)
* 160 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
* Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive)
* 65W AC Adapter
* Optical 2-Button Mouse
* Microsoft Works 9.0

FOR CUSTOM SYSTEM

$1,250 Mid-Range System ComponentsComponent

CPU
Intel Core i7 920 $300

CPU Cooler
Bundled retail CPU cooler

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4 $245

RAM
Crucial PC3-8500 CT3KIT12864BA1067 triple-channel memory kit $79

Graphics
Sapphire Radeon 4850 X2 2 GB $330

Hard Drives
Western Digital Caviar black 640GD 32 MB cache $85

Case
Cooler Master Centurion 534 $50

Power
Corsair 650TX $100

Optical
LG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model GH20NS15 $23

Total Price

$1,212

Here is a cheaper system setup they had listed.

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz $120

CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro $27

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L $105

RAM
Patriot Viper 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $53

Graphics
Sapphire 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512 MB $150

Hard Drives
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500 GB 7200 RPM 32 MB $65

Case
Antec Three Hundred $50

Power
Antec NeoPower 430 430 W ATX12V $40

Optical
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R SATA Model iHAS120-04 $22

Total Price: $632

MY CURRENT CONFIGURATION

Intel Q6600 2.4GHZ OC'd to 3.2ghz - Processor

Gigabyte GA-X48 DS4 - Motherboard

4GB of Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12 - Memory

ATI 4870 - Video Card

750 GB Internal Raid with 1.5 TB of external backup

OCZ 1000W Power Supply

You can put that together for a little below $1,000

Sigaba
01-17-2009, 23:15

<Snip>

Suggestions?

NDD--

As a hobby, I study laptops. (Whoa, I am a geek.:p)

Some resources that may help with your research include:

Laptop magazine's on line reviews <<here (http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/laptop-reviews.aspx)>>.

A good resource for more in-depth research is Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/us/#redir). I find this resource helpful in establishing the time table for Intel's release of microprocessors. This information has allowed me to save a few bucks by not buying a laptop with a cutting edge chip.

Lenovo bought IBM's laptop division a few years back but they've continued to publish the specifications of the ThinkPad line here (ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tabook.pdf). This document is updated each month and provides a 'look ahead' at the models that will come to market within a few months.

I agree that one should avoid Vista if possible. If you buy a computer from a vendor's website, you can get a downgrade to XP Professional for a slight fee. (The fact that Microsoft has pushed back several times the cut off date for selling XP Pro suggests that Microsoft understands that Vista is the 21st century version of Windows ME.)

Costco's website has portals to Dell and HP "stores." The latter allows one to custom configure a machine. While no longer open-ended, Costco still has a very generous return policy on computers (90 days). One can also get good deals on software from Costco.

Depending upon when a vendor's fiscal year ends, you may be able to find deep discounts. These discounts can be even greater if you are willing to purchase a unit with last season's CPU and graphics chips.

HTH.

OIFDan
01-18-2009, 00:42

Hostile0311
01-18-2009, 05:19
Sir,
I bought the below model here in Malta from a DELL dealer. I had almost exactly the same requirements as yourself except I also needed an integrated webcam which it has. I've had it 6 months with no problems. I am no computer guru and some of the others above seem like they offer some great advice. As stated above ditch Vista and go with the XP. Also, if the young'un is into gaming, all you gotta do is upgrade the graphics card if i am not mistaken. Last but not least, it's the perfect size. 12.6" X 10.2" give or take when closed so it stows easily and has a sleek profile. Also, if you buy a red model, I think DELL donates something to the American Red Cross. The last time I browsed DELL's website, you could customize your own model suited to your needs as well as get a feel for a price once customized. Can't beat that. :)

DELL Inspiron XPS 1330
Core 2 Duo Processor T725000 (2.0GHz,2MB)
13.3" Wide Screen WXGA with Truelife
Integrated 2MP Camera
2GB - 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
160GB (5400 rpm) Hard Drive
8x DVD +/- RW Drive
Intel Integrated GMA X3100
Intel Nextgen Wireless-N
Microsoft Vista Home Premium
4 year guarantee on parts & 1 year on labor

B/R,
Hostile

NousDefionsDoc
01-18-2009, 21:25
Balancing cost and requirements can take a little bit of doing.

Is the boy going to play games on it?
Do you want a docking solution or just an external monitor?
3GB of memory is plenty, regardless of your OS, 4 is better.
Dual core intel or athelon 64 processor is what you should look for, bigger the number the better.

Dell mini will not give you the options you need, better to go with a Latitude unless you're gaming. If gaming is a requirement then you'll need to go with an XPS model. More money but you get more options that pertain to high school use. Dell does give you the option to get XP installed on your system.

Get your external monitor and HD from Sams, Compusa, tiger direct or one of those types of stores. You'll save a lot of money that way.

Dell has the best warranty on the planet, IMHO. get at least 3 years of standard warranty.

Plan on spending anywhere from $800 to $1500 for the laptop, depending on your options.

If you do go with Dell, consider leasing it. You'd be suprised what you can get for $20 to $30 a month on a lease.

1. Probably, but games are not a primary concern.
2. I like docking stations
3. roger both

I hadn't thought about leasing....

cornelyj
01-19-2009, 13:24
I just bought one... or "Santa" got it for me. I was looking at the mac book air forever and just couldn't justify spending the money on something like that. So I was in the same bind as you. With my job I webmaster two sites and go to class take notes and download lots of movies, .ppt, and word daily w/ web-cam and speed is definitely an issue.

I use the mini comp as a secondary very portable access to files and internet.

Best of all its about 600 bucks with every bell and whistle there is!!!:lifter

Cons- no CD but expected with size... typing takes a little getting used to... different shape and layout.

Pros- 4 1/2 hour battery!!! small enough to put anywhere and small enough to stuff in a 3 day bag with extra boots for an FTX.
I bought a small pelican hard case fits and works great Lockable!

Note: I got the comp with ubutu http://www.ubuntu.com/ for running and cache memory usage issues; it is a form of linux operating system. I could have put vista on it BUT vista takes alot of HD and cache to run and end of story slows functions. same story with windows XP.

Would definitely recommend if you need the computer to be portable as one of your main issues. If not I would just jump up to one of the big dog XPS's a little over priced and with no battery power but will surf like Kelly Slater and you still get the great dell service! dell has been great to me if you haven't noticed I have had 4 dells and all have lasted and/or been fixed by dell .

With Dell they offer financing plans not leasing... read the fine print about the percentages... you do not want to spend 2100 on a laptop that is worth 1000 bucks...

frostfire
01-19-2009, 13:32
I am going to say something that galls me,,

"buy apple" :mad:

MS Vista is a fiasco and should have never come to market,, Ver 8 looks to be an incremental version of Vista.

My personal opinion, You do not want Vista. My kids work for Northrop-Grumman and Accenture. They have been told no cooperate nor customers systems will use Vista. It is not stable for work use.

If you must have a new system with MS, buy one with Win XP Pro, best release they ever had.

If you purchase via Dell business or IBM-Lenovo, you can get system loaded with XP Pro.

As far as who's machine?? I pretty sure about 80% of all laptops are made by Lenovo. Just make sure it the business level not consumer level. Costs more, but that costs gets you better component quality. I also think Lenovo built Apple...

I purchased a new laptop from the Lenovo factory warehouse on eBay last Fall. It's was labeled "refurbished", but came with a 100% 1yr warranty. It's now 6 months old and screams..

I retired with 30 at IBM as a System Designer.

My 1st desk top was an IBM 1130 in 1973, 4k mem, APL/RPG, wt 1400 lbs..

My 1st laptop was an IBM 5100 in 1976, cpu = PALM, 16KB NMOS RAM , wt 28lbs, Basic/APL

I worked in Boca Raton from 1967-1997. I was part of the PC crowd from start to finish,, nuff said??

My current home brew: Intel 840D @ 3,4GHZ, P5WD2, 2GB PC6400, XP Pro.

And my new ThinkPad T61, 6465-9UU, T8300, 2.4GHz, 3gb ram, XP Pro, travel wt 6lbs

As far as options???

- Hard drive,, they are currently selling 100-500 GB drives,, I have a 100 GB on my laptop, with ALL my digital pictures, 35,000,, I only use about 30GB, this use to be a problem, but now they sell to much, remember,, big anything means shorter battery time and life.

- CPU,, all business systems will have a moderately fast CPU, again faster means battery usage.

- Memory,, 1GB is fine, 2GB and you will never run out,, 3GB+++ ?????

- Display,, I like the 15.4 inch 9-13 ratio for FOG eyes, But you may want smaller for portability, again smaller less battery,, but you may need to squint. Small display also means smaller keyboard..

- DVD-CD player,, don't let them talk you into so LaLaPolussa multi-media machine with all the bells and whistles. If you want a home theater,, buy one and install it in the basement...

If you had to read any of this twice,, by Apple... :mad:

It's not worth the effort to become a geek,, unless your are in the business.

You deserve a tool that provides stability and good warranty.

A PC is a tool,, NOT a career..
Good Luck,,

My $00.0002

A man after my own heart! :)
JJ_BPK, hope you don't mind anytime anyone ask me for laptop advice, I copy this post of yours.

NDD, IMHOO, price should be your main consideration now. The intended use you mention so far can easily be met by the "latest" system from 5 years ago. Hence, what's out there right now is an overkill hardware wise, unless one is into intricate programming, intensive 3D modeling, building simulation, games, usw. Of course, then they had to come up with Vista :mad: aka. solution looking for a problem, then ended up becoming a problem.

Having said that, after a chit chat with a system engineer, I must admit new users actually LOVE vista (and office '07) and learn rather fast. It's old dog like me and many others that feel screwed-over having to learn new tricks just to maintain regular use. Same as apple, old dogs got irritated fast by lack of features in PC. New users love them.

I've used a refurbished IBM R51 for the last 6 years. No problem except for the screen finally died. I got myself an IBM T42 for $325 instead of replacing the screen. I connected the 'ol R51 with external monitor from 2001 and voila, alles klar! I use docking stations for both laptops, which faciliates conversion from desktop to portable system in less than 3 seconds with no cable to unplug. I'm also fond of IBM Thinkpads no-nonsense-square-oldies look. Nothing gimmicky there. All functions intended to provide you with the best tool.

As you see, my recommendation is for used, certified refurbished with full extended (3 years+) warranty from proven vendor such as IBM. if you spend more than $500 - $600 (for the intended purposes you mentioned), you spend too much and pretty much join the latest 'n greatest crowd in their quest for redundancy.

As far as external monitor, Kyo nailed it. It's available everywhere, prices are going down. You can't make wrong choice.

My 1/50th of a buck

mark46th
01-25-2009, 22:31
Plus one on the Apple- I am using a G-4 Power Book right now with OS X Leopard. My wife creates and edits videos for her school district with her Power Book or her Mac G5. Great computers and we have never had a virus, One did crash but we had signed up for Pro-Care, Apple's extended care program and they took care of it. You can go to any Apple store for free help or to take classes...

SRGross
01-26-2009, 08:17
http://forum.notebookreview.com/index.php

try this site, not a fan of DELL, they lock the bios

I like the Tough Book, you can drop it, and it still works
Apples are great but pricey
I use Acer, good price, and I pick them up at Best Buy Display or returned section, picked up a 999.99 Laptop for 385.00, only thing missing was one item I picked up for 5.00

also great freeware for Windows and Apple
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=206289

x SF med
01-26-2009, 21:21
NDD- occasionally I would like to go back to using an abacus for dosage calc...
I won't give you any advice, you've gotten plenty and it's your choice - but I feel your pain and will make burnt offerings (marinated flank steak ok?) for your safe journey through the travails of finding a new internet and pictures box.

armymom1228
02-15-2009, 10:30
I come late to this dance. However, after accidently purchasing a 64 bit Vista machine. All I can say is don't on both accounts.
While I am truly not fond of Vista, I can live with it, sort of.
64 bit just bites period. So much software out there is not compatible, even when one runs it in 'XP mode'.

After having this laptop fall off a deck seat breaking the LCD screen. My travails with Gateway and the local pc shop replacing the screen for 1/3 of gateways estimate. Don't every buy a Gateway.

My work laptop is a former Army toughbook that I purchased via Ebay from a surpus dealer for $600. I use it outdoors, it has taken a beating more than once and I am quite pleased. I run marine navigational programs on it almost exclusively. I been in horrendous weather, had it get tossed off a chart table to the floor at least twice and it's like a timex, keeps on ticking. When I purchased it, it still had windows 2000 and a tiny HD, 8G. For the purpose it was purchased for. It is perfect. I cannot praise Toughbook more.

Buck
01-08-2010, 22:28
NousDefionsDoc,
Couple things you could do which I did. I choose to go the free route, as honestly there are operating systems like Open BSD, where they simulate the Apple Operating system, and hands down Apple is much better then MS. Two of the best made are Ubuntu, www.ubuntu.com , and OpenSuse, http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org . On OpenSuse there are tons of free programs like Open Office, which is extremely robust. What I did was bought a very robust Dell D800 on ebay for about $400.00, bought some memory, and loaded OpenSuse. Might consider it as an option, and I am sure your son would have fun configuring it, setting it all up for you.

Just a thought

Buck

Trip_Wire (RIP)
01-09-2010, 14:35
NousDefionsDoc,

Take a walk on the "wild side" and get an Apple laptop,I promise you'll never regret it.....;):):cool:

IMO, very good advice! If you do buy a Mac purchase the Apple care protection plan with it.

I'd also suggest that you purchase Microsoft Office 2008 for the Mac, as it will cover most of ones serious work needs. Otherwise there are a lot of freeware and shareware stuff around to do a lot of other stuff.

I'm still using a 12" screen G-4 Mac Notebook with extra memory (Maxed out) and a larger HD, I installed when the one that came with it went TU. I use this when away from home. I don't fly with it much as I hate TSA, etc. as well as the extra carry-on baggage.

I use a iPod touch (2nd Generation) on flying and cruise trips for e-mail, music and address and calendars.) it works just fine for that although you do need free WiFi or pay WiFi to get on the 'Net.

At home, I have all (3) of my computers on a network, so I can share files and use them as a back-up. They all have most of the same applications and files on them with the exception of my newest a iMac 27" 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with the new Snow Leopard OS 10.6.2. This system will not work with a lot of the older applications I used with OS 10.4 and OS 9.x

The other two are my old iMac 17" Flat screen G-4 and the Notebook. They both have OS 10.4x & 9.x systems on them.

I usually, take a mouse with me when I'm using the notebook away from home, as for me it's better than the track pad, especially since usually I'm in a timeshare condo or hotel when I use it.

I love the new Blue tooth wireless mouse that came with the new iMac; however, I think you need OS 10.6.2 to use it, otherwise I think I'd buy one to use with the old notebook.

If you get a new Mac Laptop/Notebook you will have OS 10.6.2 installed on it. Hopefully the currant iLife applications as well.

kgoerz
01-09-2010, 17:01
NousDefionsDoc,

I hear this a lot. If your not a gamer or some Graphics Art Designer. Then get an Apple.

Speedgod
01-09-2010, 17:19
I hear this a lot. If your not a gamer or some Graphics Art Designer. Then get an Apple.

I think it is only go with a PC if you like to game. A majority of graphic designers all run Apple systems.

SG

Sigaba
01-09-2010, 18:59
I think it is only go with a PC if you like to game. A majority of graphic designers all run Apple systems.

SGSG--

With respect, you are in error.

PC's are also good if you like reading posts by satisfied Mac owners while your own PC does everything but what you want.:eek:

Of course, I'm not talking about my PC.:) It is perfect, as is, no complaints.