PDA

View Full Version : Splenectomy

lilbrawler
01-15-2009, 20:02
Ive asked my recruiter and he doesnt know so Im hoping some of you might know...Is a Splenectomy(spleen removal) disqualifying from even trying to become one of you?

Eagle5US
01-15-2009, 20:20
Yes.

Eagle

RichL025
01-15-2009, 20:28
Concur. No jump status without a spleen - doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but those are the rules.

I don't want to get your hopes up, but you can apply for a waiver for anything. No one here, though, could possibly estimate what the chances were of such a waiver being approved.

I knew a guy who got kicked out of the medic Q course, because the instructors happened to find out he was splenectomized. That guy was easily on track to be the honor grad, also.

lilbrawler
01-15-2009, 20:41
oh..well damn...the only info I've got from my recruiter was that it wasnt disqualifying from the ARMY in general because it resulted from a trauma accident when i was 19(crushed by 2 semi-trailers), and other than that...no info...When I goto Meps he mentioned I had to interview with a gentleman there to see if they would "accept" me in the first place.Ill keep trying..but ath sucks if not

RichL025
01-15-2009, 20:45
If you want to serve there are hundreds of jobs in the army you could do, fields such as the infantry are still open to you, it's just airborne status that you can't do (and probably dive & flight status too, but that's just a guess).

And like I said, waivers are free to submit, and they can only say "no" - gone are the days where they would stamp your meal card "no dessert".

Speaking as someone who occasionally takes out spleens for a living, just be happy you're still here with us, ok?

lilbrawler
01-15-2009, 20:56
I will try my damn hardest to be accepted, and work my damned hardest to be awarded that beret..Me getting hurt has given me a new outlook..I wont take no as answer nor will I fail.ever.And if the powers that be just wont allow it..I will do anything in my power to be even be associated with you all.period.

lilbrawler
01-15-2009, 20:57
and thank you for your quick replies..I will continue to learn.

lilbrawler
01-15-2009, 21:06
In the event that I cant serve SF...what do you suggest so I can be "affiliated or associated" with them..Ive searched and cant find.

The Reaper
01-16-2009, 20:21
Ive asked my recruiter and he doesnt know so Im hoping some of you might know...Is a Splenectomy(spleen removal) disqualifying from even trying to become one of you?

Have you read the stickies, and the guidance to refer to the AR for med issues?

TR

lilbrawler
01-16-2009, 21:49
apologies..going to right now.