PDA

View Full Version : Good Semi Auto to Buy

SRGross
01-06-2009, 12:34
Greetings,
figured this would be a good place to ask, I was thinking fo getting a 380 or 9mm for my wife she has a concealed permit, after alot of thought, I am leaning for the 9mm, need something small for her, she is all 118lbs, 5ft 6, and petit.
The 9mm tend to be abit larger the the 380ACP, but the 9mm has better stop power, but if I load her with Glaser Safety Slugs I do not hink that will matter.

looking for something in the 500.00 range, which would knock out the Sigs and Walthers.
Who else makes a nice compact 9mm or 380, that is of good quality.
I was looking @ the Ruger SR, but do not know much about it.

The Reaper
01-06-2009, 12:53
I do not recommend giving weapons to novices for defense unless you are convinced that she is willing and able to use it. Is she prepared to take a human life to protect her own?

If she has a CCW, she knows the legalities pertaining to the use of deadly force. There are a lot of threads here discussing CCW weapons and ammo, by way of background.

Unless she has the hand strength to readily manipulate a slide, I recommend that you consider a revolver for her.

The better .38 Special loads are almost as good as the 9mm, and much better than the .380, which is essentially a 9mm (-P).

If she is going to carry concealed, I would look for a good hammerless design, like the S&W 642. It also has the added convenience of being light enough that she will actually carry it. Most of the 9mms are pretty heavy, when loaded.

If she wants to be a pistolero and pack a higher capacity 9mm within your price range, the Glocks and Kel-Tecs can be had in pretty small, lightweight packages. I would not use the Glock if she is not going to use a holster. Without a manual safety, tossing it into a cluttered purse while locked and loaded is akin to handing it to a chimp. Something bad is going to happen eventually.

As far as the ammo goes, look for something with sufficient penetration to reach vital areas. I would not bet the farm on the Glasers anymore. In most cases, you are better off using the same load as the local or Fed LEOs, and it is easier to defend in court. Most likely, it will be a Federal, Winchester, or Remington JHP load.

HTH.

TR

SRGross
01-06-2009, 13:09
I have given great thought to what you said, we have talked about it alot, taking a human life, in truth know one really knowns until that time comes. But I feel that she would to protect herself or family member.
I agree with the Glock, I would hate to see her shoot by accidential discharge.
Hammerless sound good.
My church actually has a Firearms team and training, we will both attend it.
Will take your advice on the 38, seems like a good between round.
She has attend the Fire Arms safety course and also the Concealed weapons course and some shooting with myself.

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-06-2009, 19:28
Many females that I know who carry ( about 6) really brag on their "Lady Smiths". I have never shot one but they mostly concur on it's ease of handling and ease f carry. Just passing it along, Blitzzz
I know it's not a semi-auto but they like 'um.

6.8SPC_DUMP
01-06-2009, 20:17
Pro's hit it on the head as usual. Both girls I know who carry go with a stubby wheel gun because they trust it to fire 100%. One has a Charter arms .32 Mag (she wants to upgrade the load/capacity but on a budget) the other a S&W .38 Special. For weight, grip, concealment and cost your girl might like the Khar CW9. Just make sure it has a good 200 round though it first so you trust it. If you don't want to go through one of the bidding sights (gunbroker, auctionarms) here is a site that if you pay 5 bucks a month you get "dealer cost" - not sure about that but it's a good deal.

http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=69010&category_id=2888

Just don't beat me to my idem. ;) GL

mcarey
01-06-2009, 21:42
I would recommend that you look for a range in your area that has a women's pistol / self defense club or competitive pistol club (Check with NRA). Also, many ranges allow for rental or trial if you pay for ammo when contemplating a purchase. I mention both, because it is another social group that may aid in training more often, most females that belong to clubs are permitted and carry regularly, so they can provide your wife a womens view (purses, pack, fanny pack, clothing) They will most likely be willing to share their pistols at the range if you provide (or at least offer) some ammo, getting her more experience will make her choice become evident. Cost, while always an issue, should not be the limiting factor for a daily carry (in my opinion), save another month or two if you must and get what you like and functions well. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. Stay safe and train. Best of luck!

Juliet Delta
01-06-2009, 22:22
I work as a range officer/ sales guy for a gun store and range....so I teach a lot of first timers to shoot.

Generally, those people who initially have trouble with racking an auto, are able to when coached on it. Those people who typically have strength concerns racking the slide, also have strength issues with the heavy revolver trigger pull. (I was in a CCW class where two older ladies dropped out on the live fire portion, because they couldn't keep pulling the trigger on their revolvers. And I've had numerous customers return a rental revolver for something else.)

I typically have better luck getting first timers to hit well with an auto, than I do small revolvers.

How I see it, is that a beginner will either have to invest the time and energy into learning how to operate an auto, or will have to invest time and energy into learning how to hit well with their small revolver of choice. Between the trigger pull, more felt recoil than Glocks or Sigs will have, and typically the poor sights and how j-frames point in your hands....it takes beginners longer to begin to hit well with these guns, in my experience. In other words, given a time and accuracy requirement, first timers generally meet that requirement sooner with autos than revolvers.

Given that both require that time and energy to really be able to use them defensively...which would you rather have in a fight? A Glock 26/ Sig 239 9mm, or a J-Frame?

I would suggest thoroughly investigating and shooting both platforms before choosing one.

In regards to the original question: Sig 239 9mm, Glock 26, S&W M&P9c, XD9sc, HK USPc 9mm, Kahr CW9, etc. If price is the limiting factor, then consider buying used. The Sigs, Glocks, HK's...all have a long life. The only thing that really wears out are springs, these are cheap easy fixes.

Blowback .380's tend to have just as much felt recoil as a modified Browning type 9mm. I'd stick with 9mm if you can, it'll also be cheaper for practice, too.

Best of luck,
JD

AngelsSix
01-07-2009, 06:43
As a FEMALE who is 4'11"............

The size of the pistol doesn't make a difference, and neither does the size of the person. I carry a 1911 concealed, and the guys at the range tell me I am pretty good with it.

If she has taken courses and goes to the range regularly, she will become more practiced with time. I didn't become an expert with my Beretta for a couple of years and some folks telling me how to improve my pistol work.

Go to Jim's, let her rent a few models and try them out. She should start with something she feels completely comfortable with (she should practice failure drills to see if she is going to be okay with that as well). The first time I tried to pull my slide back on my custom 1911, I couldn't, it was so tight. I knew that there was no way I was carrying that gun concealed.

SHE is going to be carrying the gun, let her decide what SHE wants.

SRGross
01-07-2009, 08:07
Angel, I think you read my mind, we are going out to Jims PawnShop this weekend and try a few out, the 38 Police Detective, hammerless is of great interest to her, she did shoot alot, and is a very good shot, but my 45 Colt Peacemaker is alittle on the kickside, plus it is like 126 yrs old. I do not mean like shooting it anymore, it has been in the family so long.
I would really like her to get a semi, but the choice is her,'s what she is comfortible with, In wish I never sold my Browning 32, I sold it some 16yrs ago and I still miss it.

olhamada
01-07-2009, 08:49
I completely agree with Reaper.

However, if she's intent on carrying a pistol, my favorite for concealment, power, ease of operation, accuracy, reliability, and 10 rounds in a standard clip (9+1), is the H&K P2000 SK in .40 caliber. It is a couple of hundred above your stated price range, but why compromise? I can't believe how easy it is to wear and conceal - you almost forget it's there. It functions just like a full frame even though it's a sub-compact. By far, it is the best concealed weapon I have ever carried.

kawika
01-07-2009, 13:16
CDNN right now as p2000sk's in .40 w/ a laser and .357 spare barrel for 699. Extremely good price. Really wish I woulda seen their flyer back when they had custom combats etc

Blackthorne
01-07-2009, 14:36
SHE is going to be carrying the gun, let her decide what SHE wants.

My wife would echo your advice.

She's a G17 lady.

perdurabo
01-07-2009, 17:03
From the reports I've read Glaser rounds have penetration problems with denim and other similar fabrics. JHP seems more appropriate.

I haven't met a Kahr handgun I trust and recommend people steer clear of them. If you insist on buying one, please PLEASE field strip it and inspect the machining thoroughly, and test fire a couple mags if possible.

You don't want to get stuck in the situation where you're having to repeatedly send it into the Kahr factory with hefty shipping costs until they get it right. They never fully fixed things in my case, and I ended with still having at least one failure to go into battery per mag, so I offloaded it. There is a lot of this still going on with Kahr polymer weapons. It's a total crap shoot.

I have no experience with Kel-Tec but hear similar issues as with the Kahrs. This taught me a big lesson to stick with time-tested (and field-proven) weapons when at all possible.

Some quality civilian tactical training would also be of great benefit beyond basic handgun training.

Let us know what you end up deciding. The wife and I are near a similar situation to you.

perdurabo
01-07-2009, 17:08
As a FEMALE who is 4'11"............
The size of the pistol doesn't make a difference, and neither does the size of the person. I carry a 1911 concealed, and the guys at the range tell me I am pretty good with it.

Agreed. I've noticed that women I've seen at ranges tend to shoot better, on average, that their male counterparts. Maybe they have a better eye, can concentrate better, or don't try as hard, I don't know...

And caliber doesn't matter. My wife shoots both of our .45s better than me (XD & 1911), but I'm more proud than shamed. :D

Defender968
01-07-2009, 19:58
From the reports I've read Glaser rounds have penetration problems with denim and other similar fabrics. JHP seems more appropriate.

I haven't met a Kahr handgun I trust and recommend people steer clear of them. If you insist on buying one, please PLEASE field strip it and inspect the machining thoroughly, and test fire a couple mags if possible.

You don't want to get stuck in the situation where you're having to repeatedly send it into the Kahr factory with hefty shipping costs until they get it right. They never fully fixed things in my case, and I ended with still having at least one failure to go into battery per mag, so I offloaded it. There is a lot of this still going on with Kahr polymer weapons. It's a total crap shoot.

I have no experience with Kel-Tec but hear similar issues as with the Kahrs. This taught me a big lesson to stick with time-tested (and field-proven) weapons when at all possible.

Some quality civilian tactical training would also be of great benefit beyond basic handgun training.

Let us know what you end up deciding. The wife and I are near a similar situation to you.

I've owned my Kahr for nearly ten years and I've never had a problem with it, I carried it on the job for about a year before I upgraded to a Sig 239, and during that time I shot it probably every other month at the range. I would have no problem recommending one to others, way above a Kel-Tec, unless you're real cash strapped or want a gun you can put in your wallet. Kel-Tec has several very small 32 caliber autos, though I've never been a fan of the 32 myself.

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-07-2009, 20:31
If she wants a semi auto, the Walther PPK is small and comes in9mm or 40cal.
Blitzzz

The Reaper
01-07-2009, 20:46
If she wants a semi auto, the Walther PPK is small and comes in9mm or 40cal.
Blitzzz

When did this happen?

I have only seen them in .380 or smaller.

I am not sure that a PPK slide would survive the energy of a 9x19, much less a .40.

TR

Juliet Delta
01-07-2009, 20:58
When did this happen?

I have only seen them in .380 or smaller.

I am not sure that a PPK slide would survive the energy of a 9x19, much less a .40.

TR

He may be referring to the PPS, a more recent polymer offering from Walther.
http://www.walther-pps.com/

Overall size is close, I found it an obnoxious gun to shoot and reload, personally.

koz
01-07-2009, 21:17
PPS

JD beat me to it...

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-07-2009, 23:59
You're right both. PPK is in 9mil short (.380), and the new one is the PPS it's still small with larger rounds. I've shot Walther in P-5, P-99, P99QA,Old P-38 and a MPK. loved them all so I guess the PPS has my attention now, Blitzzz

6.8SPC_DUMP
01-14-2009, 20:57
I love Ruger revolvers and they came out with a new polymer .38 Special that looks like it might be popular for women in particular.

http://www.downrange.tv/artman2/publish/industry/391.shtml

Ruger® LCR™: AN EVOLUTIONARY REVOLVER DESIGN
By Press Release
Jan 14, 2009 - 11:00:00 AM

SOUTHPORT, CONNECTICUT, January 15, 2009 - Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is pleased to announce the new Ruger Lightweight Compact Revolver (LCR), an evolution in revolver design. The 13.5 ounce, small frame, 5-shot LCR has three main components: a polymer fire control housing, an aircraft quality aluminum monolithic frame, and an extensively fluted stainless steel cylinder. The Ruger LCR represents one of the most significant new revolver designs in over a century, with three patent applications pending.

The LCR’s lightweight, chemical-resistant polymer fire control housing contains the entire fire control mechanism. Because the fire control components are located within this single housing, their dimensional relationship can be held much more closely than if divided between traditional grip frames and cylinder frames. The end result is that the fire control components are assembled with no hand fitting, resulting in a highly consistent product at an affordable price.

The long-fiber, glass-filled polymer fire control housing provides a reduction in perceived recoil. The fire control housing’s grip peg allows for a variety of grips to be installed, and the LCR’s standard Hogue Tamer™ grip with Sorbothane insert reduces perceived recoil even further. A joint effort with Hogue, the LCR’s standard grip was designed using US military anthropomorphic data on hand shape, so the LCR can be comfortably held by a broad spectrum of hand sizes. An available Crimson Trace LaserGrip offers the advantages of a laser sighting system.

The LCR’s monolithic frame is an aerospace grade, 7000 series aluminum forging treated with a black synergistic hard coat that is applied after machining. Successfully tested with over 30 different aggressive chemicals, this synergistic hard coat exceeds mil-spec salt spray tests, and offers performance considerably greater than hard coat anodizing. The monolithic frame provides sturdy, rigid support for the cylinder and the barrel. The 1-7/8” long barrel, with a 1:16 twist, is made of 17-4 PH aerospace grade stainless steel, chosen for its strength and dimensional stability during machining and heat treatment.

The extensively fluted 400 series stainless steel cylinder is lightweight and compact, measuring only 1.283” in diameter in the chamber area. Treated to an advanced form of Ruger’s Target Grey finish, this stainless steel cylinder is strong, durable and designed to handle .38 Special +P loads. The Ruger LCR’s patent pending cylinder front latching system uses titanium components, optimized spring tension, and enhanced lockup geometry to ensure that the LCR’s cylinder stays locked in place during firing.

The LCR’s double-action-only trigger pull is uniquely engineered to minimize friction between the fire control components. This friction-reducing cam fire control system results in a non-stacking, smooth trigger pull.† The LCR’s trigger pull force builds more gradually, and peaks later in the trigger stroke, resulting in a trigger pull that feels much lighter than it actually is, while still providing positive ignition of all primers. This results in more controllable shooting, even among those with smaller, weaker hands who find traditional DAO triggers difficult to operate.

The sights are replaceable ramp front, and a fixed U-notch rear. An internal lock, unobtrusively hidden under the grip, does not interfere with the fire control mechanism in any way when disengaged.

For more information on the evolutionary Ruger Lightweight Compact Revolver (LCR) and the extensive line of Ruger products and services, visit http://www.ruger.com.

allester666
01-22-2009, 16:23
I also wanted to arm my wife with a pistol, but my wise old father in law put the same no BS points to the table that The Reaper mentioned. 1.) Would my wife be able to shoot someone knowing it may end their life and 2.) Would she be willing to train to stay proficient not to cause harm to others?

Answers: Maybe and No.

Easy choice from there. I got her a tazer C2 (i believe) and she carries it confidently anywhere. It discharges barbs out to 15 feet and best of all has a built in light/laser which are a deterent in their own right. Works as a traditional direct contact tazer as well.

Just another option.

SRGross
01-22-2009, 21:57
I also wanted to arm my wife with a pistol, but my wise old father in law put the same no BS points to the table that The Reaper mentioned. 1.) Would my wife be able to shoot someone knowing it may end their life and 2.) Would she be willing to train to stay proficient not to cause harm to others?

Easy choice from there. I got her a tazer C2 (i believe) and she carries it confidently anywhere. It discharges barbs out to 15 feet and best of all has a built in light/laser which are a deterent in their own right. Works as a traditional direct contact tazer as well.

Just another option.

I have thought about a tazer also, but all I have found was contact tazers, the idea was to disable or disarm some one, if you know of a link, the tazer would be great, since she is a Doctor, I have concerns about her taking a life, unless under extreme condition. Her life and children ( before ), we married was threatened in the parking lot, I explained the gentleman what would happen if he was to approach my wife again in an shape or fashion or my step children. But I have decided on a Ruger SR9 17+1 capacity. We both like it, and we are comfortible with it. My local church has a Shooting club and I was thinking of becoming a member.
here is a link to a vid
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9/Video.html

wanted to thank everyone for their reviews, and suggestions, we did alot of research. Next will be a Bow:)

Defender968
01-23-2009, 08:57

Just another option.

Allester just a couple of things to keep in mind with regards to tazers. The ones we used on the job did fail to deploy at a much higher rate than handguns fail to fire, I don't remember off the top of my head the brand but I'll try to find out. Also they must be checked to make sure the battery is good frequently, most officers I know checked their tazers at a minimum of once per 4 day shift, though the smart ones checked it daily, if she doesn't check it, it will likely not be good to go when she needs it, and will give her a false sense of security. Lastly how does she carry it, I'd be concerned about carrying a tazer in a purse for lots of reasons. To me I'd be more likely to get her a good can of OC spray than to go with a tazer. Don't get me wrong they're great for LE use, but we LEO's normally have multiple options if/when they fail.

Just my .02

The Reaper
01-23-2009, 09:10
All Tasers are made by Taser. They launch darts and also have a drive stun capability. Stun guns are a different matter, and are contact weapons only.

Your call, SR, but I suspect that you are going to purchase a big, heavy pistol that will be carried infrequently, if ever. And yes, I also disapprove of throwing a pistol into a purse. My wife cannot find anything else in there without dumping it out, and that is hardly a good defensive move.

Best of luck.

TR

SRGross
01-23-2009, 09:37
All Tasers are made by Taser. They launch darts and also have a drive stun capability. Stun guns are a different matter, and are contact weapons only.

Your call, SR, but I suspect that you are going to purchase a big, heavy pistol that will be carried infrequently, if ever. And yes, I also disapprove of throwing a pistol into a purse. My wife cannot find anything else in there without dumping it out, and that is hardly a good defensive move.

Best of luck.

TR

:D I know what you are talking about, she could always use her handbag as a weapon. Actually we got a bag that has a small side velcro compartment on the outside.

CSB
01-23-2009, 09:46
I join in the recommendation for a Kahr CW series, either in 9mm or .45 cal. The polymer (read: plastic) slide is unusual, and it needs to be fired, cleaned, then fired again to settle in. But is is light, small and accurate.
I bought my .45 version for $325.00 here in Springfield Tennessee (military discount) 30 minutes north of you.

Razor
01-23-2009, 09:57
...since she is a Doctor, I have concerns about her taking a life, unless under extreme condition...

I don't think profession has much bearing on one's right to protect themselves or their loved ones from harm.

But I have decided on a Ruger SR9 17+1 capacity.

If you go this route, check the trigger and serial number before you buy: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9Recall/

perdurabo
02-08-2009, 13:37
I've owned my Kahr for nearly ten years and I've never had a problem with it, I carried it on the job for about a year before I upgraded to a Sig 239, and during that time I shot it probably every other month at the range. I would have no problem recommending one to others, way above a Kel-Tec, unless you're real cash strapped or want a gun you can put in your wallet. Kel-Tec has several very small 32 caliber autos, though I've never been a fan of the 32 myself.

I understand. And many swear by their Kahrs. But from my own experience with multiple Kahrs, I'll pass. I need something solid, proven, and reliable. Kahr's been a roulette table of quality for me.

The good things I can saw about Kahrs are that they're super-concealable and they shot true (when they didn't jam).

6.8SPC_DUMP
02-08-2009, 22:15
I understand. And many swear by their Kahrs. But from my own experience with multiple Kahrs, I'll pass. I need something solid, proven, and reliable. Kahr's been a roulette table of quality for me.

The good things I can saw about Kahrs are that they're super-concealable and they shot true (when they didn't jam).

Were you using reloads? Kahr doesn't promise reliability with them.

Between the trigger mechanism being beside the offset barrel - not under it, and Kahr parts being precision computer machined tighter than any handgun I know of: finding the right load is key. Understandable that some people wouldn't want a picky gun for CC.

I like the Winchester Ranger Talon line- 127 gr. +p for P9/K9 and 155 gr. for P40/K40.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-08-2009, 22:27
My recommendation is for a Glock Model 26 (9MM)

Take her to a place that has a selection of various firearm to rent and shoot, (Pistols & Revolvers) and try out some of the ones mentioned here and see which one she likes and can handle. Which one she shoots the best with.

Have her try the Glock Model 27 (.40), if she does alright with it, buy it instead of the model 26