PDA

View Full Version : 1/10 Bad Toelz Coin

alfromcolorado
01-04-2009, 21:42
Does anyone out there know if it is still possible to buy a coin from 1/10 with the Tolz design?

I seem to have misplaced mine somewhere that I can't find for now, but... Would like to acquire one.

Thanks
Al

SF_BHT
01-05-2009, 08:40
Does anyone out there know if it is still possible to buy a coin from 1/10 with the Tolz design?

I seem to have misplaced mine somewhere that I can't find for now, but... Would like to acquire one.

Thanks
Al

Yes you can. Check e-bay search Special Forces Coin and look for it. I saw one a few weeks ago.

KW9598
01-05-2009, 10:04
Our SF chapt in town has them, contact me private on here and i'll redirect you.

orko
01-05-2009, 16:31
PM incomming

Conrad Y
01-06-2009, 06:36
Al, sounds like a good time to coin you. ;)

I would like to collect all the varients myself. Here is the 50th version.

ArtR
01-06-2009, 10:19
Here is one from the 35th Reunion in 1988.

Conrad Y
01-07-2009, 21:11
Check out the differences in my 35th Anniversary Edition coin given at the ball.

There are some differences front and back. Strange.

The women at the ball got a matching pendant that was slightly smaller than the coin and had an eyelet moulded in.

We were told that the mould was broken after these came out.

Maybe we should start a 10th-only coin thread.

ArtR
01-08-2009, 07:38
Check out the differences in my 35th Anniversary Edition coin given at the ball.

There are some differences front and back. Strange.

The women at the ball got a matching pendant that was slightly smaller than the coin and had an eyelet moulded in.

We were told that the mould was broken after these came out.

Maybe we should start a 10th-only coin thread.

The coin I pictured I'm sure was German made, high relief numbered and made in pewter. By the time I found out where they were selling them in the Kaserne all the lower numbers were gone. I guess every one had the same idea as I had to get one with their old team number.

alfromcolorado
01-08-2009, 08:16
Al, sounds like a good time to coin you. ;)

I would like to collect all the varients myself. Here is the 50th version.

Well, you would be buying. I still have my first 10th Coin from Devens and I still carry it every where I go... Never know when you might be ambushed and need ammo.

I have this coin also. Nice one too.

alfromcolorado
01-08-2009, 08:22
Looks like finding a replacement 1/10 Toelz coin could be problematic...

Al

Utah Bob
04-05-2009, 13:36
Well, you would be buying. I still have my first 10th Coin from Devens and I still carry it every where I go... Never know when you might be ambushed and need ammo.

I have this coin also. Nice one too.

I had no idea there were so many!
Here's mine. Getting a bit worn out after 40 years.
'Course so am I. :D

Ramrod 1
09-25-2009, 10:11
Here's a pic of my coin circa 1983. I'm happy to report that I'm holding up better than it is. There should be a thread on the best challenge story.. I remember one time at Devens -- I was showering after PT, and in walks this guy grinning from ear to ear..we thought that maybe he had turned freaky deak on us, then he squats a down bit; just enough to let the coin drop from between his butt cheeks onto the shower floor......

greenberetTFS
09-25-2009, 11:55
'Course so am I.

1969 version (http://sassvets.homestead.com/10thsfgcoin2.jpg)

UB,

Got the same one,the backside has the beret and a place to engrave your rank,name or whatever.....:cool: I just put my rank,name and year......;) Don't know how to post thumbnails yet so unable to show backside.......:(

Big Teddy :munchin

MVP
12-15-2009, 13:08
Ramrod 1,

In 1984 your coin was referred to as the Det Europe coin and the ARSOFE guys were the ones carrying them. I'll have to check but I think the Bn coin current then was dominated on the front side by large lightening bolts. Seems like I have several 1/10 variant coins that I need to look at...

MVP

ACE844
12-15-2009, 13:59
Here are a few more.

ACE844
12-15-2009, 14:11
A few more coins

alfromcolorado
12-16-2009, 05:58
A few more coins

It is the middle one I am looking for. Thanks for the pics of these coins.

Anybody know if there are spare copies of this coin out there?

CHRISTIN
12-31-2009, 05:31
The "Wooden Indian" 1st version... that's a hard to come by one these days The jewelers that made them at Toelz have long since been out of the originals... I think I bought the last two that they had.

A few years ago, I took my "Lightning Bolt" 2nd version Toelz coin to my jewelers here in Stuttgart and had them make some reproductions (from 935 silver)... they came out really nice. I carry one of those with me now, as my originals are kept in a display case. Maybe, I'll see how much it will cost to do the "Wooden Indian" in silver.

greenberetTFS
01-01-2010, 15:03
A few more coins

I've got the 4th one but does anyone know how to get 1st or 3rd ones ?........... ;)

ArtR
01-02-2010, 06:55
I've got the 4th one but does anyone know how to get 1st or 3rd ones ?........... ;)

Teddy, They show up on ebay every now and then. I have a buddy that picked up the 3rd coin you mentioned on ebay a couple of months ago.

DrJay
01-06-2010, 17:57
Al
Srry for the delay, I've pawed through a bunch of my crap and found quite a few coins, but not the "wooden Indian" one pictured above. I'm pretty sure I had one, maybe I gave it away to somebody in one of my drunken episodes:eek:

I'll keep looking. If I find it, it's yours.

Dr J

Conrad Y
01-12-2010, 07:06
Here's a pic of my coin circa 1983. I'm happy to report that I'm holding up better than it is. There should be a thread on the best challenge story.. I remember one time at Devens -- I was showering after PT, and in walks this guy grinning from ear to ear..we thought that maybe he had turned freaky deak on us, then he squats a down bit; just enough to let the coin drop from between his butt cheeks onto the shower floor......

I remember hearing that story...

In A-2-10 at Devens around 83-84 coining was getting so bad that an SOP was written covering the issue. The shower event above was addressed after that. The regular coin could not be stored in your wallet, had to be engraved, had to carry it during PT, etc.

Dozer523
01-12-2010, 07:23
With all the coin hooplah,
bier stein collectin',
beer drinkin',
wenchin',
skiin',
swimmin',
foreign jump-wingin,
eatin', and
tourin' the countryside,
how did you Toelz-storyians ever find the time to do anything else?

lksteve
01-12-2010, 08:11
how did you Toelz-storyians ever find the time to do anything else?Herbstfest, Fruehlingsfest, Oktoberfest, Leonardifahrt, rock climbing, Flintlock, Reforger, and lots of CASMAP...

Utah Bob
01-13-2010, 20:13
With all the coin hooplah,
bier stein collectin',
beer drinkin',
wenchin',
skiin',
swimmin',
foreign jump-wingin,
eatin', and
tourin' the countryside,
how did you Toelz-storyians ever find the time to do anything else?

Proper time management skills.:D

greenberetTFS
01-14-2010, 16:22
Read an interesting article in Veritas today on the origin of the Trojan Horse Badge,it was approved on 29 December 1955 as the "only authorized item for wear on the Green Beret".... "They were pretty popular and the 10th SFG soldiers were proud to wear them,and the badge was worn on the beret until 1962" It was then replaced by the SF Distinctive Unit Insignia when the beret flash was introduced.....My 11 months in the 77th SFG (1955-56) did not allow me to wear anything on my beret except jump wings and the 77th SFG DUI and of course "not on post" and only in the field.... When I was in the !0th SFG(1959-60) they also had their Trojan Horse Badge "embroidered" on their berets which I noticed was not mentioned in the article..... Any of you old guys remember having your berets embroidered?

Richard
03-08-2010, 16:18
The 'Wooden Indian" coin was a Det Europe coin when I was there - the guys in 1-10th wouldn't be caught dead showing one - attached pics are 1-10th coin we carried circa 1977 I sent home to my brother one Xmas - #0129 - he died a couple of years ago and I have it now. ;)

Richard

alright4u
03-08-2010, 21:17
A few more coins

In summer 72, this man had about 20-21 years AD. He made BG. He addressed my IOAC. Not much to say about him.

Stras
03-09-2010, 06:58
I just swung by the S-1 at 1-10th SFG(A) on my last trip looking for more coins. They no longer sell them to the general public. so it appears that any 1-10th SFG(A) coins procurement will be problematic in the near future.

alfromcolorado
03-09-2010, 20:27
The 'Wooden Indian" coin was a Det Europe coin when I was there - the guys in 1-10th wouldn't be caught dead showing one - attached pics are 1-10th coin we carried circa 1977 I sent home to my brother one Xmas - #0129 - he died a couple of years ago and I have it now. ;)

Richard

That coin has been out of circulation for a while I would guess. Bit of history there. Does anyone have any idea when that one was replaced by wooden Indian for us later folks...?

Al

alfromcolorado
03-09-2010, 20:30
I just swung by the S-1 at 1-10th SFG(A) on my last trip looking for more coins. They no longer sell them to the general public. so it appears that any 1-10th SFG(A) coins procurement will be problematic in the near future.

I was digging through some junk the other night and found my 1st Bn Stuttgart coin. Still can't find my BT version...

Worried I lost a couple of Soviet 10 ruble commenorative coins I had and some old Dutch Guilders... And probably some other junk.

Man, I need to settle down sometime.

alfromcolorado
03-09-2010, 20:33
Al
Srry for the delay, I've pawed through a bunch of my crap and found quite a few coins, but not the "wooden Indian" one pictured above. I'm pretty sure I had one, maybe I gave it away to somebody in one of my drunken episodes:eek:

I'll keep looking. If I find it, it's yours.

Dr J

Now when was there ever a drunken episode around there? I don't remember any...

tolzerman
03-26-2010, 19:14
Sorry I'm late to this thread as I just got back home. Attached are most of the 10th Group Coins I've aquired over the years.

Utah Bob
03-27-2010, 12:13
Wow! Those are mint condition!:eek:

tolzerman
03-29-2010, 07:11
Yeah, Most have sat in a wooden felt lined box for years. I still carry my 1st Bad Toelz coin with me everywhere though. It was gold dipped in 1991 in Turkey coming back from Provide Comfort I.

Bennett
03-29-2010, 13:17
Here is one from the 35th Reunion in 1988.

I still carry the 35th, mine is #57, but I have an ashtray full of all the other ones. Best coining story. We were doing the Austrian winter JCET in 85, I was on 091. Austria was still neutral in the cold war so our first stop at was to get Austrian uniforms, very cool, I still have my “Gebirgs Mütze ". Anyway we took a tracked vehicle up the mountain and stayed at one of their high altitude Kasernes, CRS I don't remember the name. Tim Connif was on the team and he had been coining everyone for biers. So we made some rules, no hiding in your butt cheeks, soap box, shaving kit, shower shoes, pretty much everything we could think of to prevent Tim from taking advantage of the shower room. Third day we get back in from our ski tour, hit the showers and Tim walks in with a shit eating grin and the distinctive sound of a coin hits the floor. We immediately go into our rules and to everyone he says nope not there. Finally we gave up and told him we all would buy him a bier just show us where he hid it. He picks it up and places it on the head of his manhood and folds his foreskin over it, then swings it around like Gypsy Rose Lee. Man what a sight, he drank well that night and we added that place to the forbidden hide sites in the morning.

Coaster
11-28-2010, 01:49
I am looking to try and replace my Toelz coin also. Does anyone have any of the old Beret flashes, or know where I can find a couple?

cszakolczai
11-28-2010, 23:57
Sorry I'm late to this thread as I just got back home. Attached are most of the 10th Group Coins I've aquired over the years.

This question can be answered by anyone who may know, I just quoted tolzerman.

How common was it for soldiers to have coins engraved or numbered? I know that the original 10th group coins were sterling silver if I remember correctly and were all numbered.

Richard
11-29-2010, 06:01
How common was it for soldiers to have coins engraved or numbered?

We used to have a rule that if it wasn't engraved with your name/nickname/initials, it didn't count in a coin check because you could be using anybody's coin.

Numbering was rare during my time - never saw a numbered coin from the 5th or 7th coins purchased through the Adjutant - the DetEur coins weren't numbered when I was there but the original Joe Beasley designed 1-10th coins were as they were specially struck for the BN.

Richard :munchin

Stras
11-29-2010, 10:00
Mine were engraved with my Team number and name.

Stras

Its all personal preference. though if your coin isn't engraved, then when we throw it across the room anyone can claim it as theirs.... in which case you're buying since you don't have a coin.

Bennett
11-29-2010, 16:32
It all depended on the decade. In the 80s when we were doing SITCA (SP) it was prep to go into some shit hole and watch the Carpathian army pass by and then try an unassisted long range E&E. Team Daddies told you to do everything to hide your ID even practice when at home station, low key, quite pro and all that so most coins were just numbered. No tats, team hats or t-shirts (we all wore the Junker Schule black t-shirt just to confuse everyone, til some leg complained about the Nazi history of the name???) In the 90s, the wall came down, the Balkans were kicking up and we were deployed as LNOs to former eastern bloc armies by companies and teams, couldn't hide much. More tats started to be seen. Turkey had coins cheap that had your name/Bn/Co casted with the coins. Then 2000, an enemy that we wanted to piss off so much the tats came out with crusader themes, coins were cheap enough that each team had their own. Now I can’t wait to see what the 10s bring.

cszakolczai
11-30-2010, 00:55
Thank you gentleman, great information. I've seen a big change in coins over the years. I've had a number of them given to me, and as the years move on, it seems as if the coins get larger in size. The last 5th group coin I was given from the 90's is about double the size of the original 10th group coin.

Richard
11-30-2010, 06:22
...as the years move on, it seems as if the coins get larger in size.

All of my old Group coins are the same size as a US silver dollar; wouldn't want to carry around anything larger than that.

MVP
11-30-2010, 08:44
as the years move on, it seems as if the coins get larger in size.

The larger size is for the FOGs.;)

MVP

Bennett
11-30-2010, 09:16
I have a Stammtisch aschenbecher full of coins of all shapes and sizes. The larger ones are defiantly not made to be carried around. Each rotation into Iraq we had a CJSOTF and FOB coin made, I’ve got the first three and have seen some of the others, big clunkers but everyone has a cool design and a story behind it. The 10th Group 50th anniversary (1952-2002) coin was a nice one; I have it JBed to my 2002 HD.

cszakolczai
11-30-2010, 09:35
thanks again gentleman, silver dollar hmm... I wish I could compare that to this 5th group coin, this thing looks bigger than a silver dollar, but maybe my memory is not serving me well.

Where did you guys have coins made for each rotation? In that country or when you were back home? I've seen some of the coins coming out right now and they are getting pretty elaborate. Saw one the other day of a sword with the various group flashes enameled into the blade and handle. Pretty sure it was a 10th group one.

ACE844
01-05-2012, 12:39
thanks again gentleman, silver dollar hmm... I wish I could compare that to this 5th group coin, this thing looks bigger than a silver dollar, but maybe my memory is not serving me well.

Where did you guys have coins made for each rotation? In that country or when you were back home? I've seen some of the coins coming out right now and they are getting pretty elaborate. Saw one the other day of a sword with the various group flashes enameled into the blade and handle. Pretty sure it was a 10th group one.

Do you mean this one?

greenberetTFS
01-05-2012, 13:06
Yeah, Most have sat in a wooden felt lined box for years. I still carry my 1st Bad Toelz coin with me everywhere though. It was gold dipped in 1991 in Turkey coming back from Provide Comfort I.

I knew I saw this someplace,I think I will do the same with my original coin,wonder what it may cost considering the value of gold now?........;) I let you guys know if any of you maybe interested.......:D

tom kelly
01-05-2012, 16:15
I was given a 10th SFG coin by Paul Vukovich, who was a member of the First of the Two graduating classes. Class 1-53 graduated on 17 January 1953. I have been friends with Paul for @15 yrs. The coin he gave me belonged to a mutual friend of ours Douglas Fox who passed away @ 2005. Both Fox and Vukovich served in SF untill they retired and both men were in Vietnam in the early 1960's. The coin was given to me at Fox's burial and on 1 side of the coin is the silver Trojan horse with a lighting bolt on a green shield. The other side of the coin has the inscription Special Forces Europe across the top edge below is a green flash with 3 diagonal colored lines starting at the top left and running to the bottom right, the top color is black then the red line and the last line is yellow. In the center is the Special Forces Regimental Crest. Anyone have or seen a coin like the one described? TK

Richard
01-05-2012, 16:34
Anyone have or seen a coin like the one described? TK

Never saw a coin like that one - but the flash didn't come into existence until 1968 when the 10th SFG (-) left Europe and moved to Fort Devens, taking the all-green 10th SFG flash with it. The green flash with the diagonally placed colors of the FRGs flag then became the SFDetEur/1-10th SFG flash and was the flash we wore in the mid-70s when I was there. It was worn by 1-10th until circa 1987 when they reverted to the original all-green 10th SFG flash.

I was sad to see it go - it made a great looking flash and wings background.

Bad Tölz was a great assignment - we used to practice UW in the 7th SFG, but we "lived" UW in 1-10th SFG.

Jefferdy
01-05-2012, 19:11
'Course so am I. :D

I was at the National Shooting Complex here in San Antonio last week and met a man, Mr. D. Blue, who showed me his coin (identical to yours) after which I showed him mine, along with my SFA Life Card (M-12876). Truly an honor to meet him!

MVP
01-06-2012, 13:11
As I recall the 10th SFG/ARSOFE food fight over the 1/10 flash occurred in late 1983 or early 1984 with the Bn being forced to wear the all green flash. IIRC ARSOFE continued wearing the green/stripped flash until they were rebranded as the 7th SOFE with the introduction of the Blue/stripped flash.

MVP

Stras
01-06-2012, 15:16
ARSOFE rebranded to 7th Special Operations Support Command (Theater Army) (7th SOSC (TA)) right before the move to Stuttgart IIRC.

Astronomy
03-03-2012, 18:06
Sorry for the necropost, but I figured I'd add some flesh to the story before all my latent memories dry up and blow away...

As I recall the 10th SFG/ARSOFE food fight over the 1/10 flash occurred in late 1983 ...

It did indeed happen in '83, but began in early '82 with a multi-month tussle between the Det Europe Commander (COL Bill Holt) and the Devens 10th SFG Commander, COL Parrish(sic?) Davis. As 10th SFG Main Cdr, he flew into Tölz and let us know that we (1-10) worked for him. This was true in a war-trace kinda way if/when we ever joined up the entire Group in Sculthorpe to fight the Big Red Machine. Otherwise, it was bullshit, because we were a EUCOM organic asset. I can't remember if Davis was still Group Commander by late '83, but the push for 10th SFG Unification continued unabated.

We were directed from Ft Devens to strip off our 1-10 / Det Europe flashes and go to full green Ft Devens flashes. Of course we didn't actually have any Devens flashes at clothing sales...so that procedure took a few weeks. The BC was trapped between two bosses, but only one was his rater, and that guy lived in the same HQ building on the Flint Kaserne quadrangle. He would get an order from his stateside ADCON boss, put it out, and then wait for his OPCON boss to countermand the order.

Eventually we started played musical berets at 0900 formations, with the entire battalion being told to repeatedly change back and forth depending upon the political vagaries of the day. For a time, most of us just started showing up with two berets in our cargo pockets. One sewn with each kind of flash. Complete buffoonery.

On a side note, about a year earlier in this field grade dominance dance, the 1-10 Sr NCOs reminded Davis that, if we were his guys, we probably oughta be getting the same cutting edge gear then being issued back at Devens. Nicht War?

Shezzam! Size of an Airlift Pallet! A few weeks later, a C-130 landed out at the airstrip with a couple of pallets of then very newly fielded, Devens SF issue, Gen I Goretex and its associated swag. We were like kids playing Mom against Dad. :D

IIRC, the flash issue got permanently resolved for 1-10 about the time I left late Fall of '83. Everyone went to solid green. Det Europe kept the Tölz Flash for several more years...until re-flagged as 7th SOSCE...when they changed the background color from green to blue...around 90-91.

alright4u
03-04-2012, 11:46
UB,

Got the same one,the backside has the beret and a place to engrave your rank,name or whatever.....:cool: I just put my rank,name and year......;) Don't know how to post thumbnails yet so unable to show backside.......:(

Teddy; Your coin is the same I got at Devens in 74. I rec'd it when I reported for duty, and; it was inscribed in the S-1's office with rank and name .

greenberetTFS
03-04-2012, 16:16
Teddy; Your coin is the same I got at Devens in 74. I rec'd it when I reported for duty, and; it was inscribed in the S-1's office with rank and name .

a4u

I'm still considering getting it gold plated however I don't know yet if I'm going to be able to afford it...........;) :D

alright4u
03-04-2012, 18:24
a4u

I'm still considering getting it gold plated however I don't know yet if I'm going to be able to afford it...........;) :D

My opinion is not much. That SF coin was the first one I ever had. There are many these days. Original condition is what makes a coin.

Bennett
03-09-2012, 13:25
Sad thing is if you do a search on e-bay you'll find a couple 10th group coins with names and teams on them for sale. Makes one wonder!

greenberetTFS
03-09-2012, 21:09
My opinion is not much. That SF coin was the first one I ever had. There are many these days. Original condition is what makes a coin.

a4u

Your point is well taken,I'm going to leave it as is........;) It was my 2nd coin,First one was in Germany with the 10th......:D

cszakolczai
03-13-2012, 18:44
Do you mean this one?

yep thats it. Sorry for the delay in response. Some of the current 10th group coins are pretty sweet looking.