PDA

View Full Version : Field Hygiene

Diablo Blanco
01-04-2009, 03:33
I searched the forums and didn't find a thread specific to Field Hygiene. This thread might go better in General Medical. Since it might involve a particular kit piece I felt it belonged here (mods feel free to move it)

Most know that infections and diseases are the most common cause of death worldwide.

What are your tips and what tools do you use in the field to stay clean and healthy? (Yes, there are circumstances where one would want to stay unclean).

What's in your field hygiene kit?

How do you maximize effect while minimizing supplies/effort?

Hand sanitizer has made hand washing much easier over the years and a wet wipe (folded properly during use) can easily take the place of a lot of toilet paper. Most of us know how to take a canteen cup bath/whore bath and shave with a quart of water.

Perhaps there is something you do that makes hygiene easier, quicker or more effective in the field.

In the past I used to fill half a canteen cup, get my washcloth wet and wash my face with a bar of soap, followed by a soap shave (which required more water to rinse), next would come the pits, the boys and then the ass. If I had time I would wash my feet after the groin but not absolute last.

After discovering certain products could make it easier I made some changes. Now I use a sponge instead of a cloth (thinking about switching to a microfiber or Shamwow). Instead of using bar soap, I use a small bottle of liquid soap (Camp Suds, Dr Bronners, etc) Instead of using soap to shave with I use a natural shaving oil that barely has a scent and doesn't really need to be rinsed off. Wetwipes come in many different sizes and shapes. Depending on pack space I might just have a small pack of kleenex wet wipes (small) hooahs (medium) or Fresh Bath Bio Wipes (Large, from REI). The problem with wipes is disposing of them, usually I just stuff them into the dirty laundry area.

So what are your tips?

incommin
01-04-2009, 18:16
I guess I'll have to let this go since I've worn the same clothes for three weeks; only washing my face and hands as I crossed a creek or stream.

Jim