PDA

View Full Version : Content Warning For Graphic & Disturbing Imagery

Team Sergeant
01-02-2009, 15:53
Content Warning For Graphic & Disturbing Imagery

All Special Forces Soldiers be forewarned the video in this (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/257342/the_crying_skydiver/) link will be disturbing to watch!!

Everyone else, you can allow your children to watch, no kidding.

A new world order.

Team Sergeant

Paslode
01-02-2009, 16:13
Nice one Sir!

Penn
01-02-2009, 16:18
In 1990, did a cooking gig in VA that Food and wine covered IIRC, at any rate, Jerry Bryan of the Costal Grill in Virginia Beach, a former 82nd Abn man and I organized a tandem jump at Skydive East IIRC in West Point VA with some well known chefs from VA and NYC. I can’t remember the guys who ran the shop, but one was a former SF 03 I think; long story short: he jumped/forced a 4star NYT rated chef(whose name I can’t revel) out of the plane...screaming crying...when they were back on the DZ and asked what took so long, his reply “I wasn’t coming down with a packed chute”

abc_123
01-02-2009, 16:52
TS,

That was more than a little disturbing.

I'm as tough as the next guy, but I couldn't stomach watching the whole thing. I tried minimizing the clip so I didn't have to watch, but the sound alone was enough to make me shut it off.

:(

Team Sergeant
01-02-2009, 18:15
TS,

That was more than a little disturbing.

I'm as tough as the next guy, but I couldn't stomach watching the whole thing. I tried minimizing the clip so I didn't have to watch, but the sound alone was enough to make me shut it off.

:(

I can only hope they removed his "man" card after that display...

perdurabo
01-02-2009, 18:40
I can only hope they removed his "man" card after that display...

In today's culture where things like competitive children's games such as Tag are banned for self-esteem issues, I'm not surprised with this gentleman's behavior.

I believe this trend is referred to as "pussification", with apologies for my vulgarity.

bricklayer
01-02-2009, 20:34
He should have just gone out backwards so the tears wouldnt hit the instructor in the face! I bet he had a few wine coolers after that.:D

jbour13
01-02-2009, 20:52
Lucky the master jumper didn't force him to exit. Would have been taken to court.

Could be the reverse for self-emasculation. I would counter sue on the basis of biological attack since so much fluid was deposited at altitude and allowed to contact my person.

What a douchebag!!

Box
01-02-2009, 21:02
Every DZ I have worked at has a "point of no refund"...
...usually right after the bird accelerates for takeoff. Even the Vector waiver video tells you once you're on the bird, you're money goes in the bank.

I've seen quite a few passengers choke in the door but never with such a helpless sounding squeal as that one! If I was the camera guy I wouldn't even have wasted the tape and battery life required to record that silliness. (In fact I'd have waved bye-bye and shot a free video for the other tandem passenger.)

bluebb
01-02-2009, 21:40
I didnt know the bastards were filming me, damn.

PSM
01-02-2009, 21:58
I'm a driver, not a jumper, but that struck me as fake. There is laughter in the soundtrack which indicates that it was on a TV show; perhaps "Funniest Home Videos". He may have been looking for a payday.

The commuter airline that I was a DXer for in the early '80s had a standing skydive charter at Lake Elsinore. My wife and I'd go out occasionally as extra eyes and to get a little DH-6 time.

The tandems were told that they could opt out at any time, no questions asked. I really don't think that an instructor who's attached to a panicky guy is going to force him to jump. Am I wrong?

Pat

abc_123
01-03-2009, 12:24
I'm a driver, not a jumper, but that struck me as fake. There is laughter in the soundtrack which indicates that it was on a TV show; perhaps "Funniest Home Videos". He may have been looking for a payday.

The commuter airline that I was a DXer for in the early '80s had a standing skydive charter at Lake Elsinore. My wife and I'd go out occasionally as extra eyes and to get a little DH-6 time.

The tandems were told that they could opt out at any time, no questions asked. I really don't think that an instructor who's attached to a panicky guy is going to force him to jump. Am I wrong?

Pat

It may be fake, but just like that famous Ned Beatty scene in "Deliverance," it's still disturbing. ;)

Edited to add:

Anyone out there that didn't find that scene disturbing can feel free to keep that bit of info to themeselves.

Roguish Lawyer
01-03-2009, 13:22
Looked totally fake to me too

Peregrino
01-03-2009, 13:32
Sad thing is - odds are it has already contaminated the gene pool. And no, I don't think it's fake. I've witnessed similar behaviour before. As soon as the fear stimulus is removed, the personality does a 180; as if to expiate/mitigate the preceeding episode.

Dozer523
01-03-2009, 14:10
It looked like someone trying to flush a cat down a toilet:D

dr. mabuse
01-03-2009, 14:38
Maybe a strap was crushing his berries and he was too polite to mention it.:o

JJ_BPK
01-03-2009, 16:03
This guy deserves the door prize...

Team Sergeant
01-03-2009, 16:05

Not to me, and I've seen a few thousand scared looks in my day.;) I've seen people quit out of raw fear, he had the look.

I've also seen some very scared civilians. The instructors did what I would expect them to do in that situation, make a few attempts to get him near the door. His demeanor upon landing IMO was also right, he composed himself enough to speak to the guy doing the filming and was no longer spewing snot bubbles or alligator tears.

Warrior-Mentor
01-03-2009, 20:48

Awesome metaphor. Makes you wanna try it sometime...

Here's a much better link:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/69650/dont_you_want/

PSM
01-03-2009, 20:49

Except that the cat has more attitude after the event: :D

nmap
01-03-2009, 22:10
I'm curious...does fear such as shown modify future fear reactions? If the individual found himself in the same situation again, would he be more (or less?) likely to panic? What about different situations?

Does elimination of fear require removal of the stimulus - in this case, having to jump? Or could a third party, such as the instructor, somehow change the reaction?

MeC86
01-04-2009, 06:04
Cool video here. Probably the complete antonym of the original posted video for this thread.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1778399&server=vimeo.com&sho

Team Sergeant
01-04-2009, 07:08
Cool video here. Probably the complete antonym of the original posted video for this thread.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1778399&server=vimeo.com&sho

I don't think base jumping ranks up there with being fearless, stupid maybe but not fearless. I place them in the same category as alligator wrestlers.

Penn
01-04-2009, 07:46
Nmap to answer your question, for me at least, the awareness of the danger of jumping was always there, but training and the compounded knowledge of the prior jumps gives you the ability of control. Its all about the training though.

MeC86
01-04-2009, 08:02
Agreed. I've never appreciated the adrenaline junkies or considered them brave. The use of the "fly suits" was interesting, never seen those before.

greenberetTFS
01-04-2009, 12:00
Awesome metaphor. Makes you wanna try it sometime...

Here's a much better link:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/69650/dont_you_want/

WM,

Great post,after watching that guy we needed something to laugh at.......:D

GB TFS :munchin

Warrior-Mentor
01-04-2009, 15:36
Video Det integrated that into a couple of our Class Videos for Friday Night Follies.

Ahhh the good old days.

ZonieDiver
01-04-2009, 18:08
Maybe a strap was crushing his berries and he was too polite to mention it.:o

Naw, that isn't it! I don't believe that guy had any berries! :D

AngelsSix
01-04-2009, 20:54
Jeez, you have got to be kidding me. Even I jumped without a bunch of prodding the first time, and the second, third....and actually drug my instructor out of the plane early once.....(he wasn't ready to go, apparently I was):D

Dozer523
01-05-2009, 10:47
Does elimination of fear require removal of the stimulus - in this case, having to jump? Or could a third party, such as the instructor, somehow change the reaction?
I loved to jump. When I was at SWC my boss would brief the new guys this way, "You are on jump status. If you want to get paid you have to make at least the minimum number of jumps. You can be like X and jump every 89 days or you can be like Y (Dozer), if he's not here, he's probably in a plane. Your choice.":D As for the third party influence . . . that probably only came into play once for me. At Jump School (maybe). I'd have slit my wrists before being a Jump Refusal. What I loved best was the totality of it. Nothing else mattered from the moment you stood in the door until the second after you landed on the ground. My whole exsistence came down to a good exit, good canopy control and a good PLF. And it was SO quiet in the air.

CSB
01-05-2009, 11:14
I'm curious...does fear such as shown modify future fear reactions? If the individual found himself in the same situation again, would he be more (or less?) likely to panic? What about different situations?

There is a school of thought that goes something like this:

All human beings are born with only two fears "hard-wired" into their brain by evolution:

Fear of falling and fear of loud noises.

Even a newborn will cry at a loud noise, or if suddenly dropped.

All other fears (fear of fire, fear of snakes, etc.) are learned fears. A child will reach out and touch a candle flame.

So, goes the theory, parachuting requires that the person conquer the two primal fears. That's why so few even attempt it, much less enjoy it. But, goes the theory, when a person has intentionally controlled both fears and made a few parachute jumps, then they can never be truly afraid of anything in the future. And that's why Airborne is an excellent prerequisite for Special Forces.

As for jump refusals, at the risk of sounding sexist (gasp!) when I was a USPA Jumpmaster and had a jump refusal, I would always at least insist the pilot make a go around and chat up the man to have him take a second try on jump run. Even if he refused again and we had to land (and of course, the jumpmaster had to ride the aircraft down with the jump refusal) I would try and talk the males into trying again. I felt that they would spend the rest of their life thinking of themselves as cowards if they didn't at least give it a second shot on another day. Females students, on the other hand, never conveyed to me that they would worry about the fact that they went up and then refused to jump, and I never pushed them.

Jump refusals were few and far between in the various parachute clubs and centers I was in during 1970 - today. I've never had a military jump refusal, but then, almost all of my fellow military jumpers were either Pathfinders, Ranger, or Special Forces.

XJWoody
01-05-2009, 15:39
Very limited time under canopy here, but best I recall it wasn't a big deal. I figured the odds were good that I'd land, sooner or later, and there wasn't a whole lot that could affect the outcome.

What did scare the everlivin crap out of me was riding in the back of a Pilatus Porter during one of the O&I drills. I was the lucky guy who got picked up first, so had to suffer through a bunch more blacked-out peanut-field landings/takeoffs. :eek: By the time we landed at CMK International, I was ready to kiss the ground. Actually though, I figured that I'd take my cues off the boss. If he started panicking, I knew we were bad off.

Team Sergeant
01-05-2009, 15:45
What did scare the everlivin crap out of me was riding in the back of a Pilatus Porter during one of the O&I drills. I was the lucky guy who got picked up first, so had to suffer through a bunch more blacked-out peanut-field landings/takeoffs. :eek: By the time we landed at CMK International, I was ready to kiss the ground. Actually though, I figured that I'd take my cues off the boss. If he started panicking, I knew we were bad off.

LOLOLOL

I hated the "mid air refueling". IMO rotors and propellers should never be turning that close to each other especially in the dark.;)

KW9598
01-05-2009, 16:11
Good analysis Dozer, without a doubt there is always an unusual quietness on decent. I always enjoyed seeing how different guys act once we began airborne ops. Contrary to poular belief, there are some guys out there that dont care for jumping lol

I always thought it was interesting how everyone is sitting around in the a/c trying not to look nervous as it racetracks or NOE's towards the dz. You can get a true sense of a man when everyone is standing up, the door's opening, smell of JP4 rushing in.

How about the unique "chain-reation vomitting" once someone decides to let it go? :eek:

zuluzerosix
01-05-2009, 17:29
I could only imagine how this guys raises his kids. Sissy.

RTK
01-05-2009, 18:08
My 6 year old daugher: "Daddy, why is that guy crying?"

Me: "Because he doesn't want to jump out of the plane."

Daughter: "What a 'fraidy cat loser!"

My daughter rocks.

nmap
01-05-2009, 20:58
Chef Penn, Dozer, and CSB, thank you all for your answers. Your perspectives do a lot to expand my understanding, and I appreciate them greatly.

Box
01-06-2009, 07:35
airplanes are scary

Dozer523
01-08-2009, 23:25
You can get a true sense of a man when everyone is standing up, the door's opening, smell of JP4 rushing in.

How about the unique "chain-reation vomitting" once someone decides to let it go? :eek:
I read somewhere that a reaction to fear was sleepiness. I wondered about those guys who were "so cool they always fell asleep" in-flight. But I never saw one hesitate of give any indication of terror once we got the six minute warning. As for the vomitting. . . I'll apologize right now. I was one of the guys who always got hungry on the flight. Those Hostess Cherry Fruit Pies fit perfectly in my ammo pouch and they really hit the spot. :D

Ambush Master
01-08-2009, 23:49
I read somewhere that a reaction to fear was sleepiness. I wondered about those guys who were "so cool they always fell asleep" in-flight. But I never saw one hesitate of give any indication of terror once we got the six minute warning. As for the vomitting. . . I'll apologize right now. I was one of the guys who always got hungry on the flight. Those Hostess Cherry Fruit Pies fit perfectly in my ammo pouch and they really hit the spot. :D

1969, Phase I insertion into Macall from a C123. Weather was marginal and we flew around for about an hour. A friend of mine started getting airsick, he remembered from the briefing that we were NOT to puke in the airplane (This was our Cherry Jump). He took his helmet off, filled it up, and was passing it down to the JM to be dumped, when the Red Light Illuminated. Said helmet was "passed back to the owner" and the Jump commands started. GET READY!!! (He had the "returned" helmet in hand) Stand Up!!! (He did, with helmet in hand) HOOK UP!!! (He looked around and decided to put it ON!!!!.......................

After we left the aircraft, I could hear him puking until we hit the ground. He wore that gear for several days before we had a chance to "clean-up" in a freezing stream!!! (I was really glad that it was COLD!!!)

There were NO multi-million dollar facilites, only GP Tents and Burn Buckets from the Latrines (for warmth) !!!:D

Later
Martin

CSB
01-09-2009, 10:00
I read somewhere that a reaction to fear was sleepiness.

I think the sleepiness came from rigging the rucksack until midnight, then a 0400 manifest call, a 0500 pre-jump, a 0700 chute issue, a 0900 JMPI, only to sit at Green Ramp until the Air Farce decided the aircraft was ready for loading, a waddle up the ramp followed by a 1100 wheels up and finally out the door at maybe 1400.

Dozer523
01-09-2009, 10:13
I think the sleepiness came from rigging the rucksack until midnight, then a 0400 manifest call, a 0500 pre-jump, a 0700 chute issue, a 0900 JMPI, only to sit at Green Ramp until the Air Farce decided the aircraft was ready for loading, a waddle up the ramp followed by a 1100 wheels up and finally out the door at maybe 1400.
That would do it. There was a WO in 5th Group that was a bronze sculptor. He made and sold staturettes entitled "The Sixth Point of Performance" Anyone know/remember what the "sixth point of performance" is?

Razor
01-09-2009, 11:13
Taking a knee following the PLF for emergency download operations.

Dozer523
01-09-2009, 11:15
We have a winner!