PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice

cjt0820
12-31-2008, 16:46
I have been in the process for the past month of getting all of my stuff together in order to enlist. Well the time has come and if everything goes as planned I will be heading to MEPS next week. My ulitimate goal is to join the SF. My recruiter is trying to talk me into the 18x contract but I feel I am not ready for that step just yet. I have been in college the past 4 years and the transition from the college life to the military life I am sure will be quite eye opening (which is a good thing). So I am wanting to get some military maturity under my belt before taking the step to Special Forces. I have done a lot of research on here and other websites, and know that it's not what MOS the person comes from rather what he can contribute. But that also being said, I have come to beleive that some combat experience will only help one out. So I have been researching 11X and 19D both with airborne. I have been confused entireley on which one will benefit me the most. With the current war I have been told 19D is not used the way it is suppose to and it does the same tasks as Infantry. I have equal respect for both, and know you only get out what you put in. But which would better prepare me for a path to being able to proudly wear the Green Beret? I don't want to just be physically tested but also mentally and to learn new things which will allow me to grow in my new chosen profession.

Thank You
Corey

Pete
12-31-2008, 17:30
A couple of years in the 82nd as a grunt never hurt anybody on their way to SF.

Just ask Team Sergeant - well maybe not just yet:D. Bit prickly around here tonight:D.

Besides, they are on Ft Bragg also.

TFtim
12-31-2008, 17:35
Whatever you choose to do in the army, it will be the most fun you've ever had and you will have newfound confidence and pride. The infantry is a great place to learn to be a soldier.
I'm glad I spent 4 years as an 11B before coming to the course. I wouldn't want to be an 18X personally. But hey man, your path is yours to choose so do what you want.

exsquid
12-31-2008, 19:36
You answered your first question for yourself. You are not ready for SF simply because you do not feel ready. Being able to honestly assess your self is a quality that is very valuable, it will keep you out of trouble. As for MOS, personally I would go 11B w/ Airborne. Also, with a degree you should be able to come in as at least an E3 or maybe even an E4. After a year or two in the line you will be begging to go to SFAS. Good luck.

x/S

jatx
12-31-2008, 19:45
Why not look into a Ranger contract? You'd still be an 11B w/ Airborne, but if you make it through RIP you'd have access to much better training and deployment opportunities.

Dozer523
01-01-2009, 10:47
I have been in the process for the past month of getting all of my stuff together in order to enlist. Well the time has come and if everything goes as planned I will be heading to MEPS next week. My ulitimate goal is to join the SF. My recruiter is trying to talk me into the 18x contract but I feel I am not ready for that step just yet. I have been in college the past 4 years and the transition from the college life to the military life I am sure will be quite eye opening (which is a good thing). So I am wanting to get some military maturity under my belt before taking the step to Special Forces. I have done a lot of research on here and other websites, and know that it's not what MOS the person comes from rather what he can contribute. But that also being said, I have come to beleive that some combat experience will only help one out. So I have been researching 11X and 19D both with airborne. I have been confused entireley on which one will benefit me the most. With the current war I have been told 19D is not used the way it is suppose to and it does the same tasks as Infantry. I have equal respect for both, and know you only get out what you put in. But which would better prepare me for a path to being able to proudly wear the Green Beret? I don't want to just be physically tested but also mentally and to learn new things which will allow me to grow in my new chosen profession.
Thank You
Corey
Corey! You are making this too hard. Your brain is getting in the way. Might be time to go with the heart. Do you want to be a Special Forces Soldier? Then go. Or are you going to wait until you are perfectly ready? And then When is That? (I've been waiting all my life for 100%.)
You got that right. So are you going to contribute or not?

Scimitar
01-01-2009, 13:20
Corey,

Why not go 18X?

If you're not selected, you'll be an 11B w/ Airborne anyways.

If you're unsure let the Cadre at SFAS decide for you. Go in as an 18X, give it your best. You can always come back 12-24 mth later and give it another shot and you'll be a better man for having experienced Selection the first time.

You might hear stuff like "only about 15% of 18X actually make it to the Q", but that's because quite a large amount sign an 18X contract with very little to no motivation. Hell, I'm getting reports back from buddies that upwards of 70% know jack about the 18X program or SF when they turn up in BCT as an 18X!

I wouldn't blame anyone for quitting if they didn't have a reason they wanted to get selected. If ya want it, go for it man. If it's not for you at that time and you are not selected hit the 82nd as an E4 get some experience and take another shot. Remember they give you a hell of a lot of preparation before you hit SFAS as an 18X, like 5 mths worth.

Might pay to understand what it takes to get a NTR though.

Dozer can probably clarify what it currently takes to get a NTR for us.

Dozer?

cjt0820
01-01-2009, 16:49
Thank you all for the responses and words of advice. Upon thinking more maybe I am looking to much into it and need to follow where my heart is telling me to go. I plan on making a career out of the Army so why not start with the toughest battle I will have faced thus far in my life. I beleive nothing is sweeter and more educational then busting your @ss and testing yourself to get what you want. If somehow I don't make it I will have learned a lot about myself and about the process to better prepare me to try again the soonest i can.

What is an NTR?

Also to prepare myself more; what was the biggest and toughest part of the transition from civilian life to your Military career?

Thanks again for your help

Corey

Surgicalcric
01-01-2009, 16:53
...What is an NTR?...

Never to Return. You will know it if you get one. Do the right thing and the rest will take care of itself.

Dont concern yourself with whats hard and whats not. Just remember, the only easy day was yesterday.

Now go do PT and best of luck

Crip

The Reaper
01-01-2009, 21:27
Thank you all for the responses and words of advice. Upon thinking more maybe I am looking to much into it and need to follow where my heart is telling me to go. I plan on making a career out of the Army so why not start with the toughest battle I will have faced thus far in my life. I beleive nothing is sweeter and more educational then busting your @ss and testing yourself to get what you want. If somehow I don't make it I will have learned a lot about myself and about the process to better prepare me to try again the soonest i can.

What is an NTR?

Also to prepare myself more; what was the biggest and toughest part of the transition from civilian life to your Military career?

Thanks again for your help

Corey

I think you should do more searching and reading, and less posting.

Do your best.

TR

Dozer523
01-01-2009, 21:55
Corey
Do what TR advises. But before we end this, I'll respond to your last question about transitioning. The hardest thing is . . . wardrobe. All those F@*king ties you won't have to wear!:D
Don't make TR tell you twice. His best advice is the last three words. I'd add do a lot more PT too (you just can't ruck too much:D!.) Oh oh one more thing. that part you wrote about "start with the toughest battle I will have faced thus far" yeah . . . , yeah, Charlie Babbit. You'll be re-thinkin' that one when you get to team. :lifter But it WILL be more fun;)