PDA

View Full Version : No Veils on DL in Florida

NousDefionsDoc
06-10-2004, 13:06
Judge gets one right (http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Florida/03FloridaSTAT09061004.htm)

Judge got this one right in my opinion.

Kyobanim
06-10-2004, 13:23
Agreed. They're already appealing that one.

Funny thing is, 2 years ago she had a picture taken for her license. After she had a baby she decided that she was religious again and started this crap.

Sacamuelas
06-10-2004, 13:54
100% agreement here, Doc.

Here is a case where the judge got it wrong. I haven't read the book... I can almost say with 100% accuracy that I disagree with most of her views without even reading it. However, thank God for freedom of speech in our country. It was a fookin book... not a megaphone delivered rant to incite an angry mob into violent action. The damn french never cease to amaze me. :(
Brigitte Bardot Fined for Inciting Racial Hatred

PARIS (June 10) - French actress turned animal rights activist Brigitte Bardot was convicted on Thursday of inciting racial hatred and ordered to pay 5,000 euros ($6,000) -- the fourth such fine for the former sex symbol since 1997.

The Paris court sentenced Bardot, 69, for remarks made in her book "A Scream in the Silence," an outspoken attack on gays, immigrants and the jobless which shocked France last year.
In the book, she laments the "Islamisation of France" and the "underground and dangerous infiltration of Islam."

"Mme Bardot presents Muslims as barbaric and cruel invaders, responsible for terrorist acts and eager to dominate the French to the extent of wanting to exterminate them," the court said.
France's five million-strong Muslim community is the largest in Europe.

Bardot, who was not present at the verdict, denied the charges in a tearful court appearance last month, saying her book did not target Islam or people from North Africa.

She told the court that France was going through a period of decadence and said she opposed inter-racial marriage.
"I was born in 1934, at that time inter-racial marriage wasn't approved of," she said.
"There are many new languages in the new Europe. Mediocrity is taking over from beauty and splendour. There are many people who are filthy, badly dressed and badly shaven."

In her book, she also attacks homosexuals as "fairground freaks," condemns the presence of women in government and denounces the "scandal of unemployment benefit."

Bardot's attacks on Muslims prompted anti-racism groups to launch legal proceedings against the former star, who turned her back on cinema after 46 films to concentrate on animal welfare.

The court awarded a symbolic one euro in damages to France's anti-racism movement MRAP and to the League for Human Rights.
It also sentenced the head of Bardot's publishing house Le Rocher to a 5,000-euro fine and ordered both to pay for advertisements in two newspapers announcing their conviction.
Bardot, in her 1960s heyday the epitome of French feminine beauty, was already fined $3,250 in January 1998 for inciting racial hatred in comments about civilian massacres in Algeria.

Four months earlier, a court fined her for saying France was being overrun by sheep-slaughtering Muslims.
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040610095109990006

Team Sergeant
06-10-2004, 13:57
Or is trying to hide... I wonder why....

MAY 28--Turns out the Florida woman who is suing for the right to wear a Muslim headdress in a driver's license photograph has previously been subjected to an, um, unveiled government portrait. Following her 1997 conversion to Islam, Sultaana Freeman (formerly Sandra Keller) was arrested in Decatur, Illinois for battering a foster child. Freeman, 35, pleaded guilty in 1999 to felony aggravated battery and was sentenced to 18 months probation. As a result of the conviction, state officials removed two foster children from Freeman's care. The mug shot of the felonious Freeman (below left) was taken after her arrest in the Illinois case. Freeman returned to the dock this week--that's her testifying in the below right photo--to challenge Florida rules requiring prospective drivers to submit to unveiled photos for their licenses. Last year, Freeman sued the state after her license was revoked when she failed to allow officials to photograph her sans headdress. State officials contend that, in light of the September 11 attacks, it is crucial that all motorists now be photographed in an unadorned state. (1 page)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/sultaana1.html

NousDefionsDoc
06-10-2004, 14:11
Nope - not buying it. No way a "Muslim" woman would use freedom of religion to conceal her identity to avoid problems from a child battering charge. Simply couldn't happen. Religion is sacrosanct and nobody would ever use their beliefs for personal or criminal reasons.

Team Sergeant
06-10-2004, 14:14
I was actually referring to her facial features…

With a face like that I'd teach my ass to chew bubble gum.:D

NousDefionsDoc
06-10-2004, 14:22
I'd hit it.:D

DanUCSB
06-10-2004, 14:27
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'd hit it.:D

With or without the veil? :D

Beauty is only a light switch away.

Sacamuelas
06-10-2004, 14:56