PDA

View Full Version : ODA insignia question.

Christophe
12-30-2008, 15:22
Sirs,
I hope this is the right thread for it.
I am wondering. As a leo I collect leo patches and also have a few SOG patches I got from former SOG recon men (such as the RT Indigo patch I got from Constable).
Several special police units like the German GSG9 and Austrias' EKO COBRA have so-called social patches available for fellow leo (and in some cases civilian) collectors.
Do US Special Forces ODA's have/do the same thing?

Info:
I want to specify I am not a wannabe airsofter type wanting to wear patches I never earned, I just collect patch designs I am interested in.
I received these from the units themselves and I never trade those I receive. I keep them in a map per country/unit. I never buy off the internet but prefer to trade for my depts', only accept those from units/members (too many fakes around).
It is something I collect out of a unit/historic,...interest, and it tends to make for interesting contacts internationally.

If need be please pm.

Thank you.

Ambush Master
12-30-2008, 16:02
If you'd like an RVN era RT New York, the last offer I had for 3 of them was well over $5K EACH!!!:D:munchin

Later
Martin

Christophe
12-30-2008, 16:10
Sir,
the few Sog patches I got were from team members themselves, such as the RT Indigo patch (from Constable, I am sure you know who I am talking about. In that, as in most cases, it was a new patch, made after the war. It means a lot to me, just because it came from him, a teammember.).
Regarding RT indigo, feel free to pm me.
I do not buy but ask or trade.
My SF patch question is related to 'social'patches.
For example, the GSG9 has a Untertutzungsverein (former member association). They got me social patches that were made specifically for veterans, fans, collectors.
I was just wondering if SF teams have team specific 'social' patches.

Pete
12-30-2008, 17:53
Teams have made patches over the years. A Team will "click" well or do a hard mission and the guys will come up with a T-shirt, hat or patch. Over the years those guys will fade and new ones come aboard and everybody "here now" forgets.

Have more than one thread around here about old patches. Some old and some new.

SCUBA guys had the old SFUWO patch with twin 72s, double hose regulator and shark on it. Man, that was old school.

Christophe
12-30-2008, 18:00
Mr.Pete,
Thank you for your reply.
I know lots if not most ODA's have their own patch, but did any ever were made for social reasons?(families, visitors,...patches not intended for team wear).

Respectfully,

Chris.

Christophe
12-30-2008, 18:04
If you'd like an RVN era RT New York, the last offer I had for 3 of them was well over $5K EACH!!!:D:munchin

Later
Martin

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay under my budget Sir.

Thanks for the pm! :)

Geenie
05-16-2010, 17:00
Found a nice gallery of ODA patches online, which I really enjoyed. Figured it might as well go in this thread. Enjoy!

http://www.specialforces78.com/odapatches.html

I wonder how many of those patches have been worn by members of this board. My guess is more than a few :)

18C4V
05-16-2010, 17:15
Thanks for posting that!!!!

head
05-16-2010, 17:23
Found a nice gallery of ODA patches online, which I really enjoyed. Figured it might as well go in this thread. Enjoy!

I wonder how many of those patches have been worn by members of this board. My guess is more than a few :)

Very cool. Thanks!

lksteve
05-16-2010, 20:23
I wonder how many of those patches have been worn by members of this board. My guess is more than a few :)ODA 123 and 124 from Bad Toelz show up as part of the 1st Group collection...ODA 5/123 shows up again under 10th Group...I have one of each...and no, they are not for sale...

mark46th
05-17-2010, 17:36
My A team in Southeast Asia (46th Co, A-20) gave each team member an ID bracelet...

alright4u
05-17-2010, 18:09

Later
Martin

Things seem to skyrocket. I wonder what the original SCU pocket patches are worth? I do not have any as I was medivaced.

In fact, it was about 9/68 when the SCU patches were issued. at BMTE. The yards loved that patch.

wet dog
05-17-2010, 19:01
Wow, I recognized one of them, ODA-773 Peru, Mazamari

The Peru Team, "The Zorros"

WD

Richard
05-18-2010, 05:13
That's a great collection of post-RVN ODA patches. :lifter

However, I think there are a few misplaced/identified - probably due to the changes in ODA numbering over the years.

Ones I think are misplaced/misidentified under 10th SFGA:

SFODA-005 (Airborne Committee) should be 3/7th SFG A-5
SFODA-006 should be 3/7th SFG A-6
SFODA-007 should be SFODA-7 - we were not 007 - ODAs in 1/10th SFG were 1-6 (A Co) and 7-12 (B Co) during that time.
SFODA-008 (MilGrp Advisor) should be 3/7th SFG A-7
SFODA-009 (The Mule Team) should be 3/7th SFG A-9
SFODA-015 (SFUWO ODA-15) should be 3/7th SFG ODA-15
SFODA-017 (AST ODA-17) should be 3/7th SFG ODA-17

When the 7th and 10th SFGAs had 3/7th in the CZ and 1/10th in Bad Tolz, the forward deployed BNs all had the shortened ODA numbering in the 70s - e.g., A-5 (Airborne Committee) or ODA-5 vs the A-775 it would have had if co-located with the 1st and 2nd BNs at Fort Bragg during the same time period.

The web-site administrator did a hell of a job putting that patch page together, though, and I sent a note to the Chapter on this. Well done!

Richard's $.02 :munchin

PS - I have original RT Idaho, Indigo, and Iowa patches - and they aren't for sale...yet. ;)

Mike
05-20-2010, 15:06
I have collected various stuff over the years and try to keep up with some of it.

VN guys especially need to know that SF stuff from that era is better than gold-or even uranium.

I have reason to believe the original poster was trolling for a handout.
There are a couple European guys I see on the net.
They damn well know the values.
We had a handful of A 341 Team patches made t one time.

I have one and gave one away years ago.

If you got any real SF stuff from SEA, be careful, it is worth gobs.

cszakolczai
05-22-2010, 23:08
VN guys especially need to know that SF stuff from that era is better than gold-or even uranium.

This is incredibly true... Ambush Master is a perfect example of this. 5K for an RT New York patch. Collectors have hit an all time high and unfortunately, some of the highest paying collectors don't even care about the history behind the item. This is not true for all, but I've run into more then one collector who just want the item because it is cool.

just my observation.

But in addition to the OP's question, I'd be interested to hear how many of the ebay ODA patches are actually the real design, or what someone came up with for a collector.

mark46th
05-24-2010, 17:33
A few years ago, my son and I went to a local Gun Show. I had him put on an old Indig rucksack to put in any purchases we made. Some one recognized what it was and offered me $50 for it. I turned him down.

cszakolczai
05-24-2010, 20:06
here's what I was talking about in regards to the patches from SOG and slightly in comparison to the high price Ambushmaster was offered....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130392329373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

For those who view this later down the road and the ebay link doesnt work, its a 1st company CCS patch selling for 565.00 dollars.

x SF med
05-24-2010, 22:44
When I was in college, I took some classes at the local JC for expense containment... my Accounting II Professor was a VN era SF guy, so we had that in common... I gave him a set of Officer Crossed Arrows ... he gave me a $1 coin from the 5th Grp Playboy Club. Well, AM is now in possession of that $1 coin - I sent it down to SHOT a couple of years ago for him since I couldn't make it. I figured it needed an approriate home. (that is probably the first time in history that Ambush Master and appropriate were used in that close proximity :rolleyes:)

cszakolczai
05-25-2010, 19:52
When I was in college, I took some classes at the local JC for expense containment... my Accounting II Professor was a VN era SF guy, so we had that in common... I gave him a set of Officer Crossed Arrows ... he gave me a $1 coin from the 5th Grp Playboy Club. Well, AM is now in possession of that $1 coin - I sent it down to SHOT a couple of years ago for him since I couldn't make it. I figured it needed an approriate home. (that is probably the first time in history that Ambush Master and appropriate were used in that close proximity :rolleyes:)

maybe if he has some time, or if you have a picture of it you'd be willing to post it. I've never seen the 1 dollar coin from the 5th group Playboy Club and would be really interested :)