PDA

View Full Version : Snowing again...

Bill Harsey
12-25-2008, 15:38
Just started snowing again here and a kinda big snow flake fell out in front of the shop...

SF_BHT
12-25-2008, 16:06
Well then it must be a very nice day to relax with the family and sip a strong drink of christmas cheer.

The Reaper
12-25-2008, 17:04
Just started snowing again here and a kinda big snow flake fell out in front of the shop...

Bill:

Very nice.

Did you do that?

TR

Bill Harsey
12-25-2008, 17:10
Bill:

Very nice.

Did you do that?

TR

Thank you, Yes.

echoes
12-25-2008, 17:21
Mr. Harsey Sir,

That is beautiful!:)

Holly

Eagle5US
12-25-2008, 17:30
Pretty COOL Bill :D

Eagle

MeC86
12-25-2008, 17:40
Thats amazing. Wish I had the same creativity. I also wish I could afford some of Mr. Harsey's knives.

Ambush Master
12-25-2008, 18:01
I also wish I could afford some of Mr. Harsey's knives.

Give it TIME Grasshopper........................give it time!!:munchin

Take care all!!
Martin

Gypsy
12-25-2008, 20:04

Beautiful work, Mr. H!

I'll PM you my address... :D

adal
12-25-2008, 20:16
Absolutely beautiful snowflake. Nice work. adal

Ambush Master
12-25-2008, 21:20
I just realized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE ARE THE THREE BOLTS OF LIGHTNING?!?!?!:D:munchin

Later
Martin

mcarey
12-25-2008, 21:43
Bill that is cool, in a flaky sort of way.:D

Bill Harsey
12-25-2008, 22:22
I just realized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE ARE THE THREE BOLTS OF LIGHTNING?!?!?!:D:munchin

Later
Martin

Working the problem...
might have to hand cut each panel seperate because of the unfolding thing.

Thanks for the kind words from all others.
SF_BHT, gonna go out in the shop and find that Christmas drink now. :D

SF_BHT
12-25-2008, 23:14
Working the problem...
might have to hand cut each panel seperate because of the unfolding thing.

Thanks for the kind words from all others.
SF_BHT, gonna go out in the shop and find that Christmas drink now. :D

With a little Christmas Cheer you might resolve the lighting bolt problem.
Merry Christmas Bill

Bill Harsey
12-25-2008, 23:22
With a little Christmas Cheer you might resolve the lighting bolt problem.
Merry Christmas Bill

Merry Christmas to you too!

Couldn't find the drink, mcarey and partner must have got it all when they came out.
but I did find another piece of paper... and still working on the three diagonal lightning bolts across the blade.

Here is a type of snow flake found over some parts of Ft. Bragg...

DinDinA-2
12-25-2008, 23:44
Very talented! I am guessing you didn't learn to do that after a day setting chokers & sitting around the landing, in the rain, waiting for a crummy.

Bill Harsey
12-26-2008, 10:26
... I am guessing you didn't learn to do that after a day setting chokers & sitting around the landing, in the rain, waiting for a crummy.

Your pretty correct about that. ;)
Here's how it happened, wanted to show the kids how to cut out a paper star a few years ago during Christmas season and I couldn't remember how to fold one for six points.
In grade school there was a vague memory of doing this but we probably only folded the paper square to make four points. I'm not sure anyone in my grade school could count to six.
So I Googled "paper snowflake" and found a step by step so good even I had a chance. Dad here was trying to pass on a "less than lethal" skill to his children, Mom might even be impressed.

Here is what I find that helps:
The toughest folds to get right are the last two so I have a paper master pattern to indicate in the folding points then make the folds holding the steel machinists rule over the line.
Use the hand roller to crease the fold better. The roller is usually for doing the seams on the stainless steel foil heat treat packages that knives go inside of when in the oven.
Then I re-sharpen an Exacto knife blade to make it a more acute edge than it comes from the factory and do the cutting on some Kydex left over from sheath making. A new Exacto blade would work just fine but use the larger handle for control.
In the mean time my kids could care less about all this because they have computers to play on.

Go Devil
12-26-2008, 12:49
Mr. Harsey,

Good work!

I'm happy to see a kindred spirit having a good day as well.

I'm working on a friction folder/hoof pick for my daughter today.

She is attached to the computer as well.

GD

echoes
12-26-2008, 13:10
Your pretty correct about that. ;)
Here's how it happened, wanted to show the kids how to cut out a paper star a few years ago during Christmas season and I couldn't remember how to fold one for six points.
In grade school there was a vague memory of doing this but we probably only folded the paper square to make four points. I'm not sure anyone in my grade school could count to six.
So I Googled "paper snowflake" and found a step by step so good even I had a chance. Dad here was trying to pass on a "less than lethal" skill to his children, Mom might even be impressed.

Here is what I find that helps:
The toughest folds to get right are the last two so I have a paper master pattern to indicate in the folding points then make the folds holding the steel machinists rule over the line.
Use the hand roller to crease the fold better. The roller is usually for doing the seams on the stainless steel foil heat treat packages that knives go inside of when in the oven.
Then I re-sharpen an Exacto knife blade to make it a more acute edge than it comes from the factory and do the cutting on some Kydex left over from sheath making. A new Exacto blade would work just fine but use the larger handle for control.
In the mean time my kids could care less about all this because they have computers to play on.

Thank You Mr. Harsey!
Brilliant synopsis, IMHO Sir!:)

Holly

6.8SPC_DUMP
12-26-2008, 13:22
[QUOTE=Bill Harsey;241279]The toughest folds to get right are the last two so I have a paper master pattern to indicate in the folding points then make the folds holding the steel machinists rule over the line.
Then I re-sharpen an Exacto knife blade to make it a more acute edge than it comes from the factory and do the cutting on some Kydex left over from sheath making. A new Exacto blade would work just fine but use the larger handle for control.QUOTE]

I can only imagine the detail you put into your blades. :eek:

Bill Harsey
12-26-2008, 14:17
Go Devil,
That's good stuff! The friction folder is the very first type and goes waaay back in history. When you need a hoof pick, it's often RIGHT NOW.
Holly,
Too true to be funny.
6.8SPC_DUMP,
Lots of the details are unseen, like in the heat treat. I don't know how the other makers feel when making knives but to me it's like riding a bicycle down a bumpy gravel road and trying not to fall off, that is don't screw up the work at hand. That might be why I was cutting out paper things...:D

Here is the last one for the year...

Bill Harsey
12-26-2008, 15:01
Go Devil,
Back to that Friction Folder. My friend, Master Bladesmith Wayne Goddard says he has seen some interesting archeological drawings from excavations at Hadrians Wall in Birtain.
The Roman camp being dug up had a folder with no back spring but included the back tab common to the friction folder.
Hadrians Wall was begun in AD 122 because the Romans were trying to hold back the pesty Pictish tribes in the North. These farmers and traders also had a reputation for a bit of raiding and piracy.

This is some old school knife design and it still works.

Go Devil
12-27-2008, 16:02
Go Devil,
Back to that Friction Folder. My friend, Master Bladesmith Wayne Goddard says he has seen some interesting archeological drawings from excavations at Hadrians Wall in Birtain.
The Roman camp being dug up had a folder with no back spring but included the back tab common to the friction folder.
Hadrians Wall was begun in AD 122 because the Romans were trying to hold back the pesty Pictish tribes in the North. These farmers and traders also had a reputation for a bit of raiding and piracy.

This is some old school knife design and it still works.

I am a fan of the simple things, and have been interested in artifacts from the old world for many years.
I have done many fixed blades, but this is the first "folder" I have attempted.

I've always liked the look and design of the old, folding, patch knives and my daughters request gave me the opportunity to pull one out of the ol' skull.

I recently received the contents of a blacksmith shop (forge table, hood, crank bellows, post vise, 250lb anvil, and 48" cone mandrel, and a few hundred pounds of coal) and now have it assembled in the back yard by the river. It is a delight to be able to forge objects in a legitimate atmosphere.