PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

Penn
12-22-2008, 16:00
NJ is one of the most expensive states in the union when it comes to insurance.
So, with the recent addition of one car to my policy my rates increased 50% to 5K per yr.
I went online: www.comparisonmarkets.com
Same coverage for existing auto's
quote came in btw $900.00-$1800.00 all major retail Ins Co. Travelers. Liberty Mutual, Progressive Allstate etc.
Went with Liberty Mutual @ 1275.00Per/yr.

I must assume that the model of the Insurance agent in his office on main street is over.

The Reaper
12-22-2008, 16:08
NJ is one of the most expensive states in the union when it comes to insurance.
So, with the recent addition of one car to my policy my rates increased 50% to 5K per yr.
I went online: www.comparisonmarkets.com
Same coverage for existing auto's
quote came in btw $900.00-$1800.00 all major retail Ins Co. Travelers. Liberty Mutual, Progressive Allstate etc.
Went with Liberty Mutual @ 1275.00Per/yr.

I must assume that the model of the Insurance agent in his office on main street is over.

You live in a very litigious area.

TR

JJ_BPK
12-22-2008, 16:13
Penn

Living on this rock is not NJ,, but from an insurance view,,

I have used USAA for 39 years for my house, car, boat, guns, wind-storm, flood, wifes trinkets, everything.

They have always been at the bottom of the price scale and the tops in customer care..

My $00.0002

rubberneck
12-22-2008, 16:14
You live in a very litigious area.

TR

Not to mention that several of the countries largest car theft rings operate in Northern New Jersey. My wife and I have always lived in good areas and both have had a car stolen over the past 15 years. Mine was right out of the damn driveway while I was at work. The wifes was stolen while she was at the Mall which figures as my bride is always there.

Roguish Lawyer
12-22-2008, 16:42
Car insurance is very expensive in LA too.

Red Flag 1
12-22-2008, 17:11
Chef,

Agree with JJ, I've been with USAA since 1979. Best rates. Most important, best coverage . Minimal increases, with three teenagers driving.

RF 1

Dozer523
12-22-2008, 17:28
Sent this originally in a PM cuz I was worried that it might violate the commercial rules but here goes

Since you ar prior military, you might check out USAA. They used to be just for officers, but now all military are eligible. Rates are good, they cover just about everything, are world-wide too. Service is fantastic.

About 2 years ago, I had some nimrod pull out behind me in a parking lot as I was backing up. I was driving the Urban Assult Vehicle (Suburban) and he was in this little compact. The cop who was cruising said it was my fault because I hit him. Heck I would have paid for the damage out of my pocket. But NOOOOOO. The cop and the other driver made sure Insurance companies were notified. I was not happy as my rates are petty low with all the good driver, longevity, classes, etc discounts. Monday next, USAA calls to do a damage inspection. I said don't bother there is not a scratch on the Barge. Still she comes out. She looks, listens, asks a few questions. "IT AIN"T YOUR FAULT!" "you didn't run into him, he failed to yield the right of way." Then . . . "Is that a carseat there?" Yup. "You get a new one, free . . . actually on his dime." OH how I wish I could have been there when the other driver found out . . . (The little guy picked out the top-of-the-line-Jeep model!. . . Have at it. Son!)

jatx
12-22-2008, 17:41
I can't say enough nice things about USAA. :lifter

stickey
12-22-2008, 17:43
Im moving from VA to FL this month. I was with Geico here, $550 every 6 months. Called them for a quote in rural FL where i will be....$1590 every 6 months. I have had no wrecks, tickets, etc...I couldnt believe it. Geico lady said it was because FL has about 30-35% of their drivers that are uninsured. Doesnt make sense that i would pay for them, but then again, any type of insurance is always a scam until you need it ;).

I bank with USAA and called them...same coverage and all= $650 every 6 months.

I went with USAA after 6 years with Geico.

(at times I do feel like i am owned by USAA though, too many eggs in one basket... at one time i had all of the following: checking, savings, credit cards, personal loan, auto loan, CD's, insurance...but like someone mentioned, the customer service is always top notch.)

Red Flag 1
12-22-2008, 17:56
Chef,

Dozer is spot on!

At one time USAA was for Comissiond Officers only, not so today.

Given my age, I AM a CAVE MAN. USAA is better over the long haul!

RF 1

Roguish Lawyer
12-22-2008, 17:59
I also have USAA. It is still expensive in LA, but cheaper than the competition with better service.

Peregrino
12-22-2008, 19:01
Penn - If you're still considering retirement, vote with your feet. Life's better, and less expensive, elsewhere! :D

Richard
12-22-2008, 19:23
Dallas is a pretty expensive insurance area, too, as it is 'no fault' and we get our fair share of uninsured non-Americans driving around the area. I've had USAA since I was commissioned in 1979, have used them globally, and have found them to be excellent and hassle free. Because we've had no accidents or tickets over the past year, I just depositied the $250 refund check they sent as a 'good driver' incentive. Merry Christmas! :D

Richard's $.02 :munchin

AngelsSix
12-22-2008, 21:54
I use USAA, have been since '95. Best rates anywhere. Best service, also. I payed 600 bones a year for two new cars and a used one.

Penn
12-23-2008, 07:05
Peregrino, you have no idea. I work on it every day. She's not convinced yet...

Team Sergeant
12-23-2008, 07:16
I agree with everyone concerning USAA, house, car, life insurance = low cost. ;)

kgoerz
12-23-2008, 07:48
Several years ago I received a letter from Allstate stating they were dropping me from their car Insurance. I didn't have any accidents or Ticket in the 12 years I had been with them. When I called they said that was the reason. They said statistically I was due for an incident so they were dropping me. I couldn't believe it. This was around 1996.

rubberneck
12-23-2008, 08:58
Several years ago I received a letter from Allstate stating they were dropping me from their car Insurance. I didn't have any accidents or Ticket in the 12 years I had been with them. When I called they said that was the reason. They said statistically I was due for an incident so they were dropping me. I couldn't believe it. This was around 1996.

I had the same thing happen to me with State Farm. I filed a complaint with the state insurance commissioner's office and then took my business elsewhere, and ended up saving money for my effort.

Pete
12-23-2008, 09:22
USAA over 20 years.

Ditched State Farm when I married the little woman and went with her USAA policy. Never a complaint.

The Reaper
12-23-2008, 09:32
My only beefs with USAA are that the rates have gone up significantly with all of the younger new members and they really do not want to insure motorcycles.

Service has always been great.

TR

Pete
12-23-2008, 09:37
My only beefs with USAA is that the rates have gone up significantly ......

Oh, my rates really went up when the twins hit 16.