PDA

View Full Version : BAILING OUT CALIFORNIA, AGAIN

Team Sergeant
12-20-2008, 10:15
Someone sent me this yesterday and now The Terminator is issuing a forced two days without pay each month for all Kalif gov employees...... ten bucks says obama bails out Kalif and we pay for decades of ridiculous and decadent spending by the peole of Kalif.

Team Sergeant

BAILING OUT CALIFORNIA, AGAIN
by Wendell Cox 12/18/2008

If many of the nation’s governors have their way, the next agenda item for the spendthrift federal government could be a bailout of state budgets. According to a report issued on December 10 by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 37 states face mid-year 2009 budget deficits, totaling $31.7 billion. As would be expected from its size, California leads the pack at $8.4 billion. However, California’s shortage is well above its share, at more than one-quarter of the total which is double its share of the population.

Yet it gets worse. Later, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger announced that the budget deficit had risen to $14.8 billion, which would take its share of the deficits to more than three times its share of the population. All of this is after a long and drawn out legislative process that was to have closed a previous $22 billion deficit earlier in the year.

For years, California boasted a strong economy, with the world’s leading technology, entertainment and agricultural industries. The state’s Legislative Analyst claims that California would be the 7th largest economy in the world if it were a nation. California is rich not only in the aggregate, but at the ground level. Only eight of the 50 states have a higher gross state product per capita. This means that California is per capita the richest large economy in the world. Thus, any bailout would be disproportionately financed by parts of the country that are often far less affluent.

How can it be that California stands in such tatters seeking a handout? Why are people from other states, at least 30 of which wouldn’t even rank in the top 50 economies of the world, being asked to prop up this dynamo?

The problem starts in Sacramento. California has been pitifully served by its state government. After missing the June 30 statutory deadline for balancing the 2009 budget, the legislature and governor spent the better part of the next three months doing everything they could to finish the job. In the final analysis they pretended to balance the budget with math that virtually no-one believed. That’s probably why there has been so little outrage at the new $15 billion deficit that has developed so quickly.

But the buck doesn’t stop with lawmakers. After all, California’s electorate has repeatedly sent the elected representatives to Sacramento that have produced this mess. In California the voters themselves seem oblivious to the financial status of the state.

This is likely to get worse before getting better. In the past voters could be counted on to vote down expensive new projects in hard times. But not anymore. In November they approved more than $30 billion in additional bonded indebtedness when they should have been asking for either a draconian spending cut or the tax increases. Californians will not be stopped from living beyond their means.

So how can this continue? One way is for the world’s richest largest economy to be bailed out by people in states that are generally poorer and have been more frugal than California. The state’s powerful congressional delegation, with such heavyweights as Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Henry Waxman, the new boss of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, are likely to see to it that the national interest is sacrificed on behalf of California.

The final irony here is the nation and indeed the world is already paying a heavy price for another exercise in Californian excess. The state is ground zero for the mortgage meltdown. It was here that house prices exploded. State and local land use policies provided the fuel for much of the increase, so that when demand increased in response to the profligate lending, the housing supply market could not adequately respond (unlike other higher demand parts of the country).

With the most bloated housing bubble in the nation, mortgage losses understandably were concentrated in California. California, which accounts for 12 percent of the national population has accounted for more than one-half of the aggregate loss in housing value. California house prices dropped at least 10 times as much as the national average since the peak of the bubble. When the people could not pay their mortgages, unprecedented losses occurred and house values plummeted from 25 percent to 50 percent in some areas. Enough people who had virtually no financial stake in their houses walked away.

California’s ability to spend every dollar the nation can print on its behalf should not be underestimated. Boatloads of federal money for California are likely to postpone any genuine efforts to improve California’s long run financial picture. The often used line about fighting a fire with gasoline has few better applications. A state that has thrown financial caution to the wind is not likely to adopt the necessary frugality with a new, national source of revenue. The special interests that have driven California’s spending into the stratosphere will not be more inclined to moderate their demands or to spend less lobbying money in Sacramento’s corridors. California’s taxpayers, perhaps the most anti-tax in the nation, are not likely to accept higher taxes if Washington can be counted on to pay instead.

There could be no worse signal to California’s dysfunctional governor and legislature than to bail them out. With the situation deteriorating daily, bailing out California could become a continuing national obligation – sort of like Iraq, but without the prospect of an exit date.

Wendell Cox is a Visiting Professor, Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers, Paris. He was born in Los Angeles and was appointed to three terms on the Los Angeles County Transportation Commission by Mayor Tom Bradley. He is the author of “War on the Dream: How Anti-Sprawl Policy Threatens the Quality of Life.”

http://www.newgeography.com/content/00479-bailing-out-california-again

Team Sergeant
12-20-2008, 10:16
Schwarzenegger Orders 2 Days Unpaid Leave for Employees
California governor issues executive order requiring the state's 235,000 employees to take two days off a month without pay.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Friday ordered a state hiring freeze and payroll cuts to conserve cash as California struggles to deal with a $42 billion budget deficit.

The governor issued an executive order that requires state agencies to reduce payroll by 10 percent, which could lead to massive layoffs. He also ordered the state's 235,000 employees to take two days off a month without pay, starting Feb. 1.

Schwarzenegger also issued an executive order calling lawmakers back into session to deal with the budget for the third time in two months. On Thursday he announced he would veto an $18 billion Democratic deficit-cutting package that he said didn't do enough to address the financial crisis.

In a letter to state workers, Schwarzenegger said California must take emergency steps that will require sacrifices from everyone.

"It is imperative that state government look inside itself and be part of the solution," the governor wrote. "We simply have no other choice."

Labor officials said they were considering filing a lawsuit to prevent job losses.

"We definitely think we have grounds for filing an unfair labor charge," said Jim Herron Zamora, a spokesman for the Service Employees International Union, Local 1000, the largest state employee union. "Our contract doesn't allow him to do this."

Officials warn that the state will run out of cash in February unless Schwarzenegger and lawmakers can reach a deal to close the budget gap with spending cuts, revenue increases or a combination of both.

Schwarzenegger ordered all state employees to take two days off a month without pay or take a similar salary cut to achieve $1.3 billion in savings through the next fiscal year.

On top of that, the governor directed agencies that get their money from the state's largest budget account, the general fund, to achieve a 10 percent payroll savings. Officials said that could lead to an undetermined number of layoffs.

Department of Personnel Administration spokeswoman Lynelle Jolley said any workers who lose their jobs as a result of the order could seek employment at other state departments that use special state funds.

"We're hoping we can do this with the least number of layoffs possible but the goal is to address this imminent cash crisis," Jolley said.

Lawmakers adjourned for the holidays Thursday after Democrats pushed through a package of spending cuts and tax increases using a creative maneuver to bypass Republican opposition.

Schwarzenegger's decision to veto the package left Democratic leaders scrambling to save their plan. They argued that it met some of his demands for speeding up public works projects and selling surplus state property.

Assembly Speaker Karen Bass, D-Los Angeles, said it was "mind-boggling" that the governor would throw away a package that begins tackling the state's fiscal problems because it didn't contain exactly what he wanted.

"It's like a child telling Santa if you don't bring every single item on the list, then stay out of my chimney," Bass said. "I am hoping that the governor over these next few days will really reconsider saying he will veto the budget."

Bass and Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, said they would remain at the Capitol to negotiate with the governor or his staff, but would not call the other 118 lawmakers back until a deal could be reached.

Under the governor's special session declaration, lawmakers have 45 days to send the governor bills that address the budget crisis. If they fail to do so, the Legislature may not act on other bills.

The governor had sought what he said was assistance for homeowners facing foreclosure, broad authority to relax environmental regulation on public works projects and more toll roads. Democrats allowed only partial waivers for a limited number of road projects and for certain state properties up for sale.

Additionally, Schwarzenegger requested deeper cuts than Democrats were willing to offer, such as reductions in welfare and senior assistance programs, greater flexibility to reduce school spending, and the elimination of two of 14 state employee holidays.

Environmental advocates also questioned why the governor would toss aside the only deficit-cutting legislation to reach his desk since he declared a fiscal emergency on Nov. 5. Paul Mason, deputy director of the Sierra Club in California, suggested that by demanding environmental exemptions, the governor was betraying his public image as a crusader against global warming.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2008/12/20/schwarenegger-orders-days-unpaid-leave-employees/

Guy
12-21-2008, 00:36
Texas...here I come!:lifter

Stay safe.

SF_BHT
12-21-2008, 08:41
They should have given less to the Dem Pers election and invested it in their state and they might have dodged this situation. Just goes to show you that all actors can not be Politicians. Their role is a long term one not just a 1 movie flash in the pan. Reality is different that Hollywood.

Five-O
12-21-2008, 08:50
So ya have the Mortgage industry, auto industry , and one of our most productive states all drowning in debt. What will be next and how much of this can we take before the big ATM machine goes dry??? And then what?

nmap
12-21-2008, 10:22
So ya have the Mortgage industry, auto industry , and one of our most productive states all drowning in debt. What will be next and how much of this can we take before the big ATM machine goes dry??? And then what?

The next bubble is the dollar. We are, for now, the global reserve currency. We can run the printing presses and buy things for little pieces of paper.

Eventually, those we buy and borrow from will figure this out. Indeed, they already are. When that happens, we will no longer be able to print without limit; we will be forced to live within our means.

That means budget cuts of about 30% for everything. By everything I mean everything - Social Security, Education, DOD, and anything else you care to name.

When that happens, we will learn how strong the social contract between Americans really is. Matters could develop in a variety of ways. Perhaps we will all unite and work together in a spirit of shared sacrifice; however, I don't think that's likely.

I don't know when that will happen. For now, the U.S. dollar is a relatively safe haven in a volatile world. So long as that remains true, the ATM remains open. When it ends, matters become more exciting, IMO.

nmap
12-21-2008, 10:33
Texas...here I come!:lifter

Stay safe.

You're more than welcome to come!

I regret to say, however, that bailout fever has hit San Antonio.

San Antonio seeks $1 billion in stimulus money

With President-elect Barack Obama and Congress looking to quickly pump billions of dollars into job-generating projects across the country, San Antonio officials have drawn up a preliminary wish list packed with projects worth $1.1 billion.

If fully funded, the work would create 9,380 jobs, according to city estimates.

It also would result in the environmental restoration of the San Antonio River's southern reach; street and drainage work to ease Fort Sam Houston's massive expansion; new exhibit and meeting space at the Convention Center and citywide street and sidewalk projects.

The package includes a spate of green energy projects.

“I don't think it's any surprise,” City Manager Sheryl Sculley said. “We have huge needs in the community, and there are many things we could move forward with.”

More at the link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/36422689.html)

So the question is...when and where does it end?

Dozer523
12-21-2008, 10:38
The next bubble is the dollar.
. . . budget cuts of about 30% for everything. By everything I mean everything - Social Security, Education, DOD, and anything else you care to name.
When that happens, we will learn how strong the social contract between Americans really is. . . . Perhaps we will all unite and work together in a spirit of shared sacrifice; however, I don't think that's likely.
I don't know when that will happen. For now, the U.S. dollar is a relatively safe haven in a volatile world. .Well happy damn morning to you too! :D
What "social contract"? Ya mean that one that says "I'll do my thing and you do yours and hopefully what I want I get . . . and what I need you'll do?"
As my 7 year old points out on occassion, . . . "It just gets worser and worser, doesn't it?"
Just better hold off until AFTER the ski trip!

Pete
12-21-2008, 11:48
....What "social contract"? Ya mean that one that says "I'll do my thing and you do yours and hopefully what I want I get . . . and what I need you'll do?".....

Think Social Security. Most still think it's some kind of savings account. You pay in and you get "it" back when you retire. Wrongo!

Think cap level raised or lifted alltogether and means testing. Pay into it all your life, well over $150,00 into the SS fund and when you hit retirement you are told you have too much in 401Ks and that military retirement check - no SS for you.

For far too many Americans that will be justice and sticking it to the rich.

nmap
12-21-2008, 11:57
(Chuckle) Yes, I'm a real ray of sunshine. You should hear me when I really get into the gloom and doom mindset. :eek:

Back a few years ago, I did a little informal experiment. I taught 3 sections of a large undergraduate course (150-240 students per section). I would ask the students how many could come up with the first and last name, the profession, and a few minor details about their neighbors - which I defined as the people who lived next door, the three houses across the street, and the three houses behind. Out of thousands of students over the years, only two ever raised their hands.

The other question I asked was "What - what exactly - is the American dream?" There were many answers, but most boiled down to making a pile of money quickly, with little risk and less effort. Another popular answer centered around a big McMansion.

More and more, I question the very existence of any unifying attitudes or values among most citizens of these United States. Instead, many seem to be participants in a shared marketplace that happens to be profitable for the moment. However - if that's true - then there is little to hold us together if the marketplace becomes less profitable. In other words, there may not be any social contract at all.

Peregrino
12-21-2008, 12:20
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm gaining a new appreciation for my business degree that I've never really used. It's giving me additional insight into the current "crisis" (and allowing me to "sort of" follow some of the discussions here :D). Ponzi schemes were an academic curiosity that affected "other people" and along comes "Made-off with everybody's money" to reignite my interest. Now that I've refreshed my memory of the definitions I suddenly discover that we're all victims of the greatest swindle in history - at the hands of our own government. :mad: Makes me feel like a chicken that just woke up on a Tyson conveyer belt.

Paslode
12-21-2008, 13:22
"......Probably why we were voted the best street to live on........"

Let's see - 4 retired SF guys, 5 other retired Army, 2 active duty Army, one DAC and about 5 non-military related families.

Never get voted "best anything" but it's a nice quiet section of the neighborhood.

Sorry Paslode - hit the wrong button and edited out your post instead of hitting reply.