PDA

View Full Version : .223 AR-15 Reloading/primers & Crimping Questions

DinDinA-2
12-19-2008, 12:27
I ran a search for primer & crimping information for the AR-15 and didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Currently, in Alaska, it is nearly impossible to find bullets, primers and powder for handloading. One has to go to Sportsmans Warehouse every day to "get lucky' and take what you can get. Forget shipping, except for bullets.

So, here I am... with an assortment of primers. CCI 400 Small Rifle and Federal 205M Small Rifle Match and a few Rem 7 1/2.

The gist of information I have found says that any small rifle primer should be ok for the AR-15 reloads IF seated to the proper depth. Some say only use the CCI 41. What say you??

Also, an assortment of opinions are out there regarding crimping the bullet for AR-15 reloads. I have been reloading for bolt guns for years, but this is my first for the semi-auto. I do not want to go down the wrong path on crimping. I will be using the Sierra 55Grain FMJ w/cannalure...primarily for predator hunting.

How about accuracy for the crimped vs non-crimped bullets?

I hope this isn't a duplicate request for information, but current ideas and information are always helpful.

Thanks

HOLLiS
12-19-2008, 13:32
What effects accuracy most is uniformity. Case length is more critical when a person crimps. Having uniform case length will keep the crimp the same. A shorter case may not crimp at all and a longer case may have a crimp that is much tighter or deform the neck of the case.

Uniformity in primer and primer vent holes also affect accuracy.

I have never worried about primer seating depth, except in bench shooting. (still never had a problem) A assortment of cases will cause accuracy to vary. Sort of the luck of draw. If your hunting short distance or plinking, doesn't matter.

For extreme accuracy (bench), everything is kept in batch. Everything is done exactly the same as humanly possible for each case, bullet, load, primer etc.

Main purpose of crimping is to keep the bullet in place on rounds in the magazine during recoil. For single shot rifles regardless of recoil it is not a issue. if the bullet does not have a cannalure for crimping, do not crimp. .223 is not noted for recoil. Crimping does increase chamber pressures. Primer used also effects chamber pressure.

Pretty much it is the same as with a bolt gun.

Chronographing loads is a good way to check chamber pressure. It is often a neglected reloading tools. If your building loads for a firearm, I would say it is a must. Also inspecting the cases after firing and noticing other tale tale signs of excessive pressures.

Gene Econ
12-19-2008, 20:02
I ran a search for primer & crimping information for the AR-15 and didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Currently, in Alaska, it is nearly impossible to find bullets, primers and powder for handloading. One has to go to Sportsmans Warehouse every day to "get lucky' and take what you can get. Forget shipping, except for bullets.

So, here I am... with an assortment of primers. CCI 400 Small Rifle and Federal 205M Small Rifle Match and a few Rem 7 1/2.

The gist of information I have found says that any small rifle primer should be ok for the AR-15 reloads IF seated to the proper depth. Some say only use the CCI 41. What say you??

Also, an assortment of opinions are out there regarding crimping the bullet for AR-15 reloads. I have been reloading for bolt guns for years, but this is my first for the semi-auto. I do not want to go down the wrong path on crimping. I will be using the Sierra 55Grain FMJ w/cannalure...primarily for predator hunting.

How about accuracy for the crimped vs non-crimped bullets?

I hope this isn't a duplicate request for information, but current ideas and information are always helpful.

Thanks

DD:

What type of predator are you hunting with a .223 55 grain FMJ?

RichL025
12-19-2008, 20:06
DD:

I'm guessing the bipedal type...

DinDinA-2
12-19-2008, 20:26
Originally Posted by Gene Econ
DD:

Fox, coyote, wolverine, lynx & Wolves. The 55 grain FMJ is a little easier on fur. My main gun is a Rem 700 heavy barrel .22-250, but when stowed in a gun boot on a snowmobile is slow to deploy. The idea is to have the 16inch AR-15 on a three pt sling, while riding, for quick shooting.

Have I had to chance to shoot a wolverine or lynx?...not yet. One can only hope.

DD

Ambush Master
12-19-2008, 20:27
I'm guessing the bipedal type...

Negative. I'd bet more along the line of wolves or fox!!

Later.
Martin

HOLLiS
12-19-2008, 20:41
Originally Posted by Gene Econ
DD:

Fox, coyote, wolverine, lynx & Wolves. The 55 grain FMJ is a little easier on fur. My main gun is a Rem 700 heavy barrel .22-250, but when stowed in a gun boot on a snowmobile is slow to deploy. The idea is to have the 16inch AR-15 on a three pt sling, while riding, for quick shooting.

Have I had to chance to shoot a wolverine or lynx?...not yet. One can only hope.

DD

I like FMJ for varmint. I loaded some 90 grain HP for my 270 once. I was using 22LR for coyotes. Fortunately, I decided to try is out on a big Jack. It seemed, just before I touched off the round, there was a 10 ft gray radius where the jack was. I went over, there was his head, small part of the spinal cord, another small piece of spinal cord and his duster.

Also Shot gun works too. For short distance quick shots, try a shot gun.

DinDinA-2
12-19-2008, 21:17
Shotgun is ok, inside 70 yds using Hevi-Shot "Dead Shot Coyote" ammo...the Benelli will go along also this year.

I am going to look like a Scandic "A-10 Warthog"!!

DD

HOLLiS
12-20-2008, 14:18
I could not reply to your PM, you have your PM "turned off".

DinDinA-2
12-20-2008, 16:56
PM back on.