PDA

View Full Version : SF and Navy SEAL??

colin
12-15-2008, 17:28
A guy came into my work today looking for books on military history. Long story short: he said he was a "Green Beret" for seven years, but left to join the Navy SEALs because it wasn't "challenging" enough. You can't do both? Bullshit, right?

Richard
12-15-2008, 17:37
A guy came into my work today looking for books on military history. Long story short: he said he was a "Green Beret" for seven years, but left to join the Navy SEALs because it wasn't "challenging" enough. You can't do both? Bullshit, right?

Yes, you can.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Eagle5US
12-15-2008, 18:30
Though this particular person may or may not have done it...I know several who have done either of the two first, then transitioned to the other.
None of whom speak ill of their time in US Army Special Forces or US Navy Special Warfare.

Eagle

Dozer523
12-15-2008, 18:48
Yes, you can.

Richard's $.02 Richard, your avatars are getting creepier and creepier! ;):p:):D

Richard
12-15-2008, 19:22
Richard, your avatars are getting creepier and creepier!

Just trying to get into the holiday spirit! :p

Warrior-Mentor
12-15-2008, 20:38
I used that avatar for "door decoration" in the Pentagon (yes, we get tasked with reindeer games in the Pentagon).

I put a green beret on Santa with a USASOC flash and a quote like:

"We got sumthin' for you AQ!"

...and one of my cadre in Robin Sage was an SF Captain with a Budweiser badge from prior service with the SEALs.

frostfire
12-15-2008, 22:33
Yes, you can.

and one wrote a book about it. "You want me to do what" by Jeff Kraus. Good read IMHO. Good sense of humor, dose of humility, and he spoke highly of all three

http://www.lulu.com/content/205866

colin
12-16-2008, 00:34
Yes, you can.

But why would you want to? Why go through the headache of enlisting into another branch of the military when you can just join a SCUBA team?

FearMonkey
12-16-2008, 04:21
But why would you want to? Why go through the headache of enlisting into another branch of the military when you can just join a SCUBA team?

That's fine, if you honestly think being a Navy SEAL or on an SF dive team is just about scuba diving. If you want to blow bubbles sign up with your local PADI dive shop.

These days people join the SOF community for one reason... to fight terrorism. Each component of SOF does just that in a very different way. Comparing an SF dive team to a Navy SEAL team is like saying bicycles and air balloons are the same thing. True, both are viable modes of transportation that will get you from Point A to Point B, but in very unique and different ways.

I am willing to bet that the reason(s) your buddy has for wanting to try a different SOF community has nothing to do with scuba diving. However, IMHO, if life as an SF guy wasn't "challenging" enough for him, then he obviously wasn't challenging himself enough. I am willing to bet he will run into the same frustrations in his new line of work.

Richard
12-16-2008, 05:30
...when you can just join a SCUBA team?

Just? :rolleyes: Ahh...haa...haa...haa! You boo-coo fun-nee Petah-sahn!

The Reaper
12-16-2008, 08:38

You might want to do more reading and less posting.

TR

Team Sergeant
12-16-2008, 08:41
You might want to do more reading and less posting.

TR

LOL, my thoughts exactly.

colin,

No more posting for a while. Do as the Reaper said.

Team Sergeant

Razor
12-16-2008, 08:58
I...and one of my cadre in Robin Sage was an SF Captain with a Budweiser badge from prior service with the SEALs.

Along with some ink, IIRC.

ODA 226
12-23-2008, 09:59
I was in the 11th Group with a guy named "P.S." that was SF, Marine Recon and SEAL qualified. It is very possible!

SF_BHT
12-23-2008, 10:20
I was in the 11th Group with a guy named "P.S." that was SF, Marine Recon and SEAL qualified. It is very possible!

Boy can't he make up his mind.....:p Lots of time in school hope he made use of the training.;)

The Reaper
12-23-2008, 10:33
Boy can't he make up his mind.....:p Lots of time in school hope he made use of the training.;)

Concur.

Sounds like a badgefinder extraordinaire. I do not find these accomplishments particularly impressive. In fact, it strikes me as a negative.

I would prefer a servicemember who found a calling after his first, or at worst, second service.

The payback for the training in all three is going to come up short. Probably worked on a follow-on plan to go into the AF as a PJ before he even completed the previous service school.

I do understand guys who branch transfer to get to SF. I have seen a lot of guys come to SF from Rangers, Recon, etc. At the same time, I have seen very few leave SF for the other services or units. I know a fair number of SF guys who left for a special mission unit, a handful of guys who left SF to go back to mother Army, and just ONE guy who left SF to go back to the Rangers.

It would seem to me that with enough research and planning, you would only have to join one service and work your way into whatever SOF they had, but I guess some people learn the hard way.

To each their own.

TR

D9 (RIP)
12-23-2008, 23:59
Wherever you go, there is a learning curve and a period of time between when you set foot in the door and the time that you are an asset to your organization and their operation. Is the guy who changes the scenery every 4 years really doing himself or his teammates any favors?

There are people who need a legitimate reset. I myself had a break in service and a change of service. There are a few types out there who have other motivations. I know a guy who has put time in with 3 different SOF outfits in 2 different branches of service, and is still trying for a fourth. At some point it makes me wonder whether or not he really wants to go downrange with a bunch of good dudes and help win this thing, or whether he's on some kind of personal mission to always "take it to the next level."

Whether you can or not, that is not why we are in this business. The military is not an adventure race nor an Outward Bound self-discovery odyssey. We are a warfighting organization. At some point: find your niche, learn your trade, put in time with your team and come on in for the big win.

I think passing the selection process for any of the SOF outfits is impressive. What's more impressive still is being on a team, staying on the team, and doing good things trip after trip with those guys. Anyone who would start the process over 3 and 4 times would, without knowing the guy in particular, start raising flags in my head as to whether or not the dude could play well with others or was on of those perpetual grass is greener types.

Dozer523
12-24-2008, 00:05
:D

Dozer523
12-24-2008, 00:06
Concur.

Sounds like a badgefinder extraordinaire. I do not find these accomplishments particularly impressive. In fact, it strikes me as a negative.

I would prefer a servicemember who found a calling after his first, or at worst, second service.

The payback for the training in all three is going to come up short. Probably worked on a follow-on plan to go into the AF as a PJ before he even completed the previous service school.

TR
Hardly TR. (I can't believe you missed this call.) He's getting ready for the Blackwater gig. What? :eek: Why you lookin' at me like that? Backing toward the door.:D

csquare
12-24-2008, 09:34
He wants to go SEAL because all they do is:

Sleep. Eat. And Lift

NousDefionsDoc
12-24-2008, 21:57
LOL, my thoughts exactly.

colin,

No more posting for a while. Do as the Reaper said.

Team Sergeant

Y'all are getting soft. Should have made colon write an essay on the differences...oh, it's Christmas. Never mind.